Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Great place to stay.

• 20th Feb 2014

I really felt at home ! You can feel the presence of Jesus among the christians. I felt one of the team first of all because we have the same Father and second because I could speak with a lot of people who had questions, doubts and even perplexities ! I enjoyed very much the Bible discussions although I found them sometimes too short and I would have given more time for asking, witnessing etc. Perhaps it could be an idea to show christian movies from time to time. I want to help again next time

• 20th Feb 2014

I had to check out due to my room being so horrendous. The staff was very accommodating, though. The hostel is well located, but I could not stay there. The guests all seemed "off" and strange, although this is Amsterdam!

• 20th Feb 2014

Maybe just clean the bathroom more if possible, the shower area mainly. Otherwise it was great!

• 20th Feb 2014

The staff were excellent and went out of their way to help, The type of guests were easy going too. Liked that it was a Christian hostel but wasn't overbearing. Just the right tone to enjoy your holiday and take time to think.

We received such a warm and friendly welcome!

Somethings strange, such as lockers outside rooms and bathrooms. However, has a good value for money, being a regular hostel very well located with a good price, if compared with others in Amsterdam.

Good location, nice breakfast!

• 13th Feb 2014
  • Taiwan

I had a great time in this hostel. Very, very nice. Good location, good staff, good breakfast. I have no complain and I recommend this hostel for everyone. Lots of english speakers there and I could practise my English. Stay there, I am sure you are not going to regret.

• 7th Feb 2014

Price is high and coffee is poor. Small bathroom in the bedroom for 4 girls but it is not a problem.

Staff was friendly at best, but proved to be useless. Visitors are stuffed into cramped smelly rooms with little to no space. A hot breeding ground for germs and infections. Although it advertises as a Christian Hostel, and gives of a cult-like vibe upon your arrival, most guests were drugged up tramps who slept all day, and insisted upon endless hours of quiet time. Awful experience. Was glad to get out of there after 2 days.

It was amazing. Everyone were so friendly and made me have a warm stay.

• 6th Feb 2014
  • Argentina

The hostel was great! Great location, only a short walk from the center of town, Central Station, and the Red Light District. Free breakfast was provided every morning, and the staff was very friendly. Overall the place was very clean. Lockers were provided to keep your stuff secure, however you must bring your own lock otherwise you have buy one. Locks were available for purchase from the hostel for 4 euro.

• 6th Feb 2014

What an excellent hostel! Lovely staff, clean and comfortable. I would definitely recommend this place to everybody.

• 4th Feb 2014

16 female dorm very cramped, like in a boat : ) . Lockers for the suitcase (20- maybe 80 - 40) - take your padlock (with a thin handle). Very nice girls serving breakfast. For the money - was OK. Location excellent.

• 3rd Feb 2014
  • Poland

와이파이가 너무 느려요. 그리고 elevator가 없어서 캐리어 끌고 올라가느라 너무 힘들었어요. 숙소위치나 스태프들 분위기, 보안은 정말 좋았어요 겨울에 히터 꼭 켜고 자세요,,...정말 춥습니다~~~~~~

Nice hostel, cheap, middle of red light district and good staff, but remeber, it's a christian hostel.

situated in the red light and a little bit noisy at night. excluding this, it is perfect.

The people were great, very helpful and friendly. I had an awesome time.

• 30th Jan 2014

Make sure to tell those staying in a 16 bed female dorm how to use the heating furnace! We were freezing the first night. For 25 euro a night, I was hoping for an overall better experience. The pictures of the rooms are a little misleading. Better lighting in the hallways and rooms would greatly improve the atmosphere factor by removing some of the 'dingy' feeling. In addition, the hallway smelled of old fish.