Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

A volunteer staff who is from German was so nice. He has accompanied me to where most tourists don't know and paid the dessert for me! Thanks :)

• 28th Dec 2015
  • Cambodia

The very friendly staff made the place amazing and the breakfast options were fantastic!

The room was way too small for 4 people, it should accommodate to a maximum of 2 people. The sink was placed just above my bed that every time I moved I hit my head and I get sprinkled every time someone uses it. My friend checked in 2 days before us and when we asked to be in the same room they refused stating that they have 2 people checking in today so they can't move them; however, our other friend who stayed alone in mixed dorms moved 3 rooms in 3 nights cause there are friends checking in

• 27th Dec 2015
  • Egypt

the room were too small, claustrophobic I'd say. We had to sleep with the window open to catch some breath (in December!!!)

Excellent location. Nice people, good breakfast. There are only one or two plugs in each room what I think it´s not enough, but there is a note telling you can charge your devices on reception if you need. Nice staff. For the first time I had some problems with a roommate and they were nice changing my bed.

• 26th Dec 2015

I'm a world traveler and I have visited more than 50 hostels. This is by far the worst hostel I have ever been to. The only positive thing about it is the nice location. I have booked 4 nights and they made me change my room 3 times !! There was no elevator so I had to get all my luggage down the stairs to the luggage room and when the room is ready at 1:30pm I had to bring it up all over again ! The reception kept telling me sorry but it's out of our hands !

The hostel is good located even it was in red district area,unfortunally the breakfast is limited to one option,the atmosphere at the café its a bit quite but personally I really liked the the volenteers girls all of them.thanks

The staff screwed up reservation put two guys in my female ensuite.

Staff very friendly & happy, no probs, went @ xmas 2015 had a good time, breakfast very nice, only thing could say is the pillows were very soft. very good value for money, would recommend it to anyone wanting a no hassle break in the centre of Amsterdam. Alan Smith & family.

• 24th Dec 2015
  • Scotland

I really loved it. Everybody so kind. They made me feel literally welcome . The guys are such sympathetic person that I have met in my trips !!God bless you!! I recommend it!!

Shelter city was the perfect place where i could ever spent my holiday in Amsterdam! The stuff is amazingly nice and they make you feel comfortable from the very begining. Don't even worry if you are planning to go there on your own. You ll really feel home. Nicest people i ever met!

• 23rd Dec 2015

One Of the best environment hostel that I've been, specially in Christmas time!

First time international from USA (virginia) and my very first stay was HERE! I never stayed in a hostel before, and this seemed to make it an easy transition for me. Bathroom cleanliness is probably as clean as it's going to get for a hostel. I felt comfortable with it. Nothing I saw here was gross or . They even have a cute cat in the morning near the cafe. The hostel is smoke and drug free. Seemed like high majority of students just staying.

• 23rd Dec 2015

The bedrooms is too much small and the bathroom inside is terrible. The breakfast isn't good ( you need chose between two options, and in my opinion both isn't accept).

• 22nd Dec 2015

Very friendly staff and people there :)

• 21st Dec 2015

everything was good, I will come back again.

Our stay at shelter city was great! We couldn't have asked for a better experience. The staff are so friendly and helpful! They had everything from free breakfast (you can get a free take away breakfast as well if you leave earlier) to activities that really help you connect with the staff and fellow travelers. The atmosphere was very chill and yet, lively. location was perfect. I would recommend this place to anyone and plan on staying again I'm February. Thanks for the great experience!!

Great place to stay! All the staff were super nice! They had great security so I always felt safe. The rooms were a little on the small side but not terrible. They had a great area for hanging out with fellow travelers too.

Great hostel in a very central location. They do a good free breakfast, the staff is really friendly and makes an effort to get to know the guests, and it was a good place for hanging out and meeting people. If you're not Christian, they're not there to shove Christianity down your throat or convert you, but they're not trying to hide anything about what they believe. Would definitely stay here again!

Incredibly nice and friendly. Felt so safe and the place was quiet and clean. Slept without any disturbance in a 16 person room. Attended the movie and discussion night w free snacks and tea...wonderful!

• 17th Dec 2015