Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Everything was clean and tidy. The people were very nice and helpful. It is very on the safety of the guests. That was my first night in a hostel and I liked it.

• 26th Oct 2014

Great location. Otherwise no real complaints, but nothing spectacular.

The common washrooms were not as clean as expected also the showers could have been better. The breakfast could be better and offer more variety. The location and WiFi is excellent.

• 25th Oct 2014
  • India

An old place. Not so clean. Dishes in breakfast were not clean. The location is good as well as the fact that no smoking, drugs and alcohol are allowed. I stayed also at Shelter Jordan which I enjoyed more because it is cleaner and better managed.

There were no locks on the doors and the lockers didn't work. The room was super cramped and tiny. It's in a good location and cheaper than other hostels in Amsterdam so that makes it worth it. Also breakfast was free.

• 24th Oct 2014

I loved my stay and I would happily go back again. The staff are very friendly.

• 24th Oct 2014

+ : Location, free breakfast, security - : No lock at the doors, lockers in the rooms so a lot of noise.

Great hostel, friendly staff, very nice girls

the hostel itself was mediocre, as the bathrooms and toilets were below the standards.. i was in a 8male dorm , however my bed was next to the main door of the floor, so whenever it was opened there was too much noise..plus a window on the wall between the bed and the door, made it difficult to sleep as long as the light was pretty much constantly turned on..

The staff was so welcoming and made me feel right at home. Breakfast was awesome!

• 23rd Oct 2014

Some of the staff were very caring and friendly, they were the highlight of this hostel.

I was not into this hostel. When I asked the staff for a restaurant recommendation nearby they couldn't help me. The girl suggested I just eat at the hostel cafe. The bathrooms were clean, but felt like I was back in a college dorm. It really lacks atmosphere. I wish I would have paid a bit more and stayed somewhere else with a better feel. One good thing is that the wifi works extremely well. You don't have to be Christian to stay here (I'm not), but it will be brought up a bit. Be prepared!

The hostel is a friendly place to stay.unfortunately they allow idiots to make noise and that stops you getting a decent nights sleep.i find this abit disgraceful as you are paying for somewhere to sleep.also ther is hidden charges for a lock and deposit,(wich u do get back) but its all extra.the beds are clean and very comfy and the staff are nice.it just needs a night guard to stop the idiots ruining everyone elses night,apart from that its worth staying ther for a night or 2no more

• 21st Oct 2014

The Shelter City a christian hostel lays in the red district. I liked the hostel because it is near the inner city. Also it has safety lockers and computers. The bath and toilets are very clean. The breakfast is a little bit poor and also the blanket is a very thin one and not very warmly. In fact I got a cough for that reason. I love it because it is very easy to get in touch with other people

Amazing. Good bed,the bothroom very impressed. The lounge, the area to rest. I mean I will recommend to everyone who go to Prage. Staff very, very Friendly. I am more than grateful for they help. They give everyone all attention they need. Nice music in the reception. Free internet using computer in the reception. You can book and check your e mail. So clean.I mean the hostel looks as hotel. But, good price. I had a very good stay. Hopefully I will be back again there. Thanksss millions guys

Stayed in a 16 Bed Fem Dorm which was ok. It was my first time in a dorm this big so I guess the noise, lights on and tightness are normal in this kind of situation. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location is great, right next to the Red Light District and just streets away from the Dam plaza. Not having a charger close to my bed was a turn down. Don't forget to bring you padlocks since the ones they sell were a bit expensive..

Great Hostel! Definitely Recommend!

• 19th Oct 2014

It was very nice, sometimes strange smell everywhere in the hostel. Different in different parts. The biggest problem is there is no chargers on the near the bed. I had to give it all the time to the reception. Not very comfortable.

perfect for religious people

Stayed for 4 nights in 16 bed dorm. Location was amazing and it's fun to walk around the streets in Amsterdam. Cleanliness at the hostel was the biggest downfall. The bathrooms (especially showers) were gross and should have been cleaned more frequently. I also wouldn't recommend using the fridge every time it was opened the grossest smell lingered throughout the hallway. No locks on bedroom doors and atmosphere was very poor.