Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

My phone was stolen from my dorm room. I left it charging went down for a smoke and it was gone. The room had no lock on it. Granted its my fault for leaving it but i the process after was also poorley managed. They have camaras but it took them 2.5 hr to finally tell me what happend. A guest who has checked out stayed in the hostel after check out and grabbed phone and left. This is a christian hostel in the middle of the red light district. They have pray setions. No drink or drugs.

Great hostel in a great location! Nice and helpful staff! Good breakfast! Excellent value for money!

• 5th Jun 2015
  • Portugal

I love that the bathrooms were always clean when I used them. I really appreciated this! My only issue during my stay is that I noticed A LOT of hair caught in the blankets. I was really grossed out because it was not my hair. I noticed that my bunk mate's blanket had even more hair than my blanket. I'm sure that they're being washed, but they need to be double checked before being placed on the beds.

• 4th Jun 2015

Shelter city is one of my favorite hostels! The staff are awesome and kind. The rooms (even the 16 bedroom) are quiet. Breakfast is very good and included. The bathrooms are very clean. It is also very safe and the location is awesome. Shelter city is located in Nieumarkt which is centrally located in the middle of everything! You will definitely enjoy your stay here.

• 4th Jun 2015

I thought Shelter City was a great place to stay. The only thing I didn't like was the inability to charge your phone in your room, but that really didn't cause strain on our activities and plans. I had a blast staying there. I got to meet a lot of great people, it felt really clean, and the free hot breakfast was really nice. Most importantly, I felt safe. I would definitely stay there again!

I thought it was really cool how the staff members at Shelter City Amsterdam hosted a variety of engaging events that allowed the guests to have fun together. It really shows that the staff cares about their guests' stay at the hostel, and the kind of experience that they will be taking back with them. All in all, I very much enjoyed the company of the staff as well as my fellow guests, and would definitely go back should I find myself in Amsterdam once again.

Very very good hostel! Staff was fantastic and helped us figure how where to go and even got us a discount on a canal cruise. Good size rooms with big lockers! Decent breakfast and a great location! I would definitely recommend this hostel!

Good value for money.

• 2nd Jun 2015
  • Philippines

A kitchen would be nice or a place to make own tea and coffee (I travel with tea bags and would have liked a kettle) apart from that it was a great hostel and I would definitely stay again :)

Breakfast was average, I expected a little more; there was no buffet and very few options to choose from. For making your own meals there was only a microwave, you had to ask for plates and cutlery. During the nights it was extraordinarily loud. I thought it would be more quiet than other hostels because of their policies and mission but the opposite was the case and they didn't seem to bother about parties in the hallways and rooms even after 1 am. Didn't get good sleep.

We stayed 3 days. It' s very curious that, being a christian hostel, it's in the middle of the red light zone. Friendly. Quiet. Calm.

Had to wake up somebody sleeping in my bed at 02:00. Door to the beds didn't have a curtain and the hall light was left on all night, you can hear everything on the floor above every little step, so didn't sleep a wink. Woke up to somebody attempting to steal my laptop within my bag. Breakfast was included which was nice. Deposit of €15 for the key. Locations on a red light district street, so not recommended for family's at all.

Free breakfast!! Good breakfast too, not the cheap stuff. Very kind and hospitable hosts. Comfy beds with personal lights and plugs. Plenty showers and toilets. Central location, I would definitely stay again. Pricey during peak months.

This hostel seemed to be very safe. The location right in the red light district very attractive. But its cleanliness is one of the worst I've ever seen in hostels. The toilet was broken to the half and it stinked all the time, plus the shower is located in the toilet room which made it even worse. Except the dining room where a good breakfast takes place every morning for free, the facilities of the hostel is bad. You live in a tight room with more people that suits in, with only one socket!!

• 1st Jun 2015

Had a good stay, well located. The cooked breakfast every day was great and the staff were friendly and helpful. Luggage storage handy and safe. Beds comfy although ladder to top bunk wobbly. 16 bed room was a bit noisy, common garden outside window plus woken up more than a few times a night by roommates but that's not really the hostels fault. Also no locks on room doors and only 3 power sockets in room, apparently for safety as they dont want you to leave your things charging and get stolen.

nice surprise, great value for money. don't expect any luxury, it has the basics for a backpacker (i.e.: bed and breakfast). staff is friendly and attentive.

Staff was nice, but check-in was really slow. There was only one person in front of me and I still had to wait 15 minutes before another staff member had to come out to help me.

• 31st May 2015

Staff are very helpful an friendly. hreat location. the breakfast was also very nice :)

This is a christian hostel. Made the mistake of staying here. BUT the hostel was very nice. Great cleanliness, staff, etc. Not for me, especially in Amsterdam.

NOTE: This is a Christian-run hospital which means there are bible references aplenty and often people chatting about religious things in the kitchen area – avoid if you’re not comfortable with this. Sadly there’s also no alcohol allowed at all. I was looking for quiet accommodation but as it’s located in the red light district it’s very noisy on Fri/Sat evenings. It should be cleaner & have more charge points in rooms. Overall for a cheap night’s accommodation it’s fine and breakfast is ok.