Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Great central location. Staff was friendly and helpful. Atmosphere was just ok. Was offered many times to attend a bible study but outside of that there was very little conversation. One power outlet in my 8-person room. Could not sit up on the bottom bunk. Internet was good. Bathroom was a bit of a walk but was big enough. I would recommend for the location but not the atmosphere.

The only thing I didn't like was that everyone in my room was very loud and would eat bags of chips in the middle of the night or turn on all the lights while we were all sleeping.

We really had a good time in Shelter City. I can only recommend it to the others.

Wonderful hostel! right in the city center! I was worried about staying so close to the red light district as a solo female traveller but the city is so safe, there is nothing to worry about!! The rooms are large and there a few outlets. The free breakfast in the morning is amazing!! All the staff is very friendly and all the profits of the hostel go towards charity which is awesome!!

Staff are friendly and helpful. Located in the heart of the redlight district!

My friend and me loved to stay at your hostel. We will definitely recommend it to everyone we know and will come back to stay with you if we ever return to Amsterdam. Keep up the good work, the friendly and welcoming atmosphere and the spirited place. It is something special to keep in this world!

• 24th May 2015

Thank you! Look forward to seeing you again soon :)

For its location it is very quiet from the outside world however the guests staying at the hostel were very noisy for most of the time. Clean place and staff are friendly.

Clean respectful place. Not many plugs but the reception desk lets you charge your electronics there. They offer lots of discounts on tickets and tours. Not many activities are planned that are not Christian related.

It was a decent place, very well located in the center and really nice staff!

• Sweden

Pro's: - good value for money - location - breakfast included, and good enough - bathrooms clean Con's: - Depending on who will stay with you in the room can be a little bit noisy - There are not so many power supplies in the rooms - Every time you get back to the hostel you have to present the check in ticket. Is a good thing in the end, for security reasons, but it can be a little bit troubling especially when you have bags with you.

• Romania

perfect! :D

• 22nd May 2015

Not clean enough. Blankets were filthy and covered with long strands of hair.

• 21st May 2015
  • Spain

Just like other reviesw said, clean, well-located, nice staff, small room, very Christian. Nice choice if you want to have a good sleep instead of party. Very good value of money in the city center. The using of shower and room is limited due to the cleaning time. The checkout time is before 10:00am. The luggauge can only be left until 6pm on checkout date. These are something that the travelers might want to take into consideration.

Shelter City is the best hostel I've stayed at. Location is perfect, the hostel is fully outfitted, and they offer a buncbunch of activities right from the front desk. The staff is like a family -- all volunteers, all very fun-loving and nice, which gives the place a cozy atmosphere. I'm personally not Christian, but I still felt like I was among friends.

• 19th May 2015

The volunteers were extremely nice and ready to help. The hostel is also in the city centre, and provides additional services such as bike renting. Great atmosphere and a lovely garden! Overall, a great stay!

The staff are amazing and the atmosphere is very safe and friendly. It's not a party hostel which I was completely fine with. The only complaint is that there are not enough plugs strewn about but I was told that was for safety reasons; the front desk gladly operates a charging station free of charge which they secure and manage for you There is also luggage storage if you have a later trip out. Finally, there is a rule of no staying for longer than 1 month.

Thanks for your comments - we're glad you enjoyed staying with us. And we're working right now on getting more electrical sockets in the rooms. Soon there will be plenty!

This place was a such a deal, great location, free hot breakfast, and very safe. Was thinking the fact that it was a Christian hostel wouldn't be a big deal as I am not religious, but i felt out of place here for that reason.

It was my first time in a dorm; otherwise I was used to book a hotel for my work tours. I had my hick-ups when I booked this dorm, away from my comfort zone. But at Shelter city I had a really nice time. Staff there were friendly and helpful. Place was clean and I had a good experience with fellow travelers in the dorm.

• 18th May 2015
  • India

great staff. felt like a youth group camp.

Its such a big hostel that it's hard to meet anyone. I only stayed one night so take my advice however you want it, but I would definitely not return and I'm glad i only stayed one night. The beds are aweful and seems unclean, the hostel in general was not so clean and the bathroom looked extremely unappealing. Props to those who managed to have a shower in there. The breakfast included was so so. Location great but i would rather stay at a hostel thats a bit farther away than this one.