Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

A very peaceful and quiet stay right in the middle of all the action in Amsterdam. The staff were very friendly, the fee hot breakfast was great, and the rooms were clean. Would have been nice to have more outlets in the room, but the charging station at reception was a decent system.

Breakfast was amazing! Staff we're helpful, very clean place and location is super convenient.

The included breakfast was a nice treat. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Very nice staff and super convenient location. A safe and comfortable stay in Amsterdam :)

Lot of people being robbed and the staff is sort of effusive, so if you are planning to just rest forget it.

• 15th Jul 2015

Hi Hostelworld! Is it possible for you to remove this comment? It's not true that lots of people were robbed! Thank you :)

Would have been useful to have a kitchen but the breakfast was really good.

• 14th Jul 2015

Great location in the red light district, but it's also a Christian hostel.. Making it not the best place to meet friends who want to go out etc. but nice accommodations and easy to get to places from

Really happy with my stay at Shelter City. Home from home!

• 13th Jul 2015

My stay was fantastic. The provided breakfast of Dutch pancakes was delicious, the staff members at reception and the cafe were all happy and welcoming, the facilities were charming and attractive. I appreciated the charging station behind the reception, where I knew my cell phone and tablet were safe as they charged. This free service came in handy since I didn't have an adapter myself! I recommend this friendly and safe hostel to everyone!

This is one of the best hostels I've been to! Very clean, amazing location, helpful staff, great cafe and lounge space. The staff helped me rent a bike and pre-order museum tickets. Free breakfast included!

Beautiful building, lovely staff and really nice hot showers! Lockers in bedrooms and reception charge your phones (and other stuff) Really peaceful courtyard garden with a pond.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Thank you for a lovely stay!

My friend had to keep their belongings in a different box office to hes bed because it was busy. Staff broke her lock but later they gave her one.

• 11th Jul 2015
  • Spain

Very good atmosphere, and the staff was extremely nice and helpfull. I totally recomend it.

• 10th Jul 2015
  • Spain
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Shelter is a great place if you want a chilled, friendly vibe. No drinking is allowed in the hostel so, despite the very close distance to all of the main bars/clubs, it makes it quite a challenge to go out. However, if you're not looking for that kind of a time in amsterdam shelter is perfect. If you do stay - free cooked breakfast everyday which is good but make sure you bring a lock/ buy a lock for your bag if it's a rucksack/not hand luggage sized because the lockers are quite small.

Sheets were not change at my arrival. Rooms are small. Cool staf with cool service. Okay/good price for the location.

The hostel is in a great zone, near Amsterdam central and in the heart of the red light district. The staff was very helpfull and everything very clean and organized.

• 8th Jul 2015
  • Mexico

This was our first of three hostels on a three week vacation in Europe and it set the bar almost too high for us. The staff were friendly, helpful, and understanding of the fact that we were lost!!! It was a really cool place to stay and a great price. The location could not have been better it was close to all the action of the red light district but back in an alley where there was less traffic.

• 7th Jul 2015

I had the most incredible stay and Shelter City, couldn't have asked for a better hostel and right in the centre of Amsterdam! The staff were so lovely and friendly, I couldn't recommend it more :)

I enjoyed my stay. Only complaint I could lodge is that the 16 bed dorm is very bright in the mornings.