Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

The chilled atmosphere of the hostel was good and somewhat unexpected given its location in the heart of the red light district. If you are going for the intense party scene of Amsterdam maybe this hostel isn't for you, but given the nature of Amsterdam you would rather be out in the city itself than in the hostel. Rooms were clean and the breakfast was good. The only thing I would suggest is having a toaster available for toasting the bread at breakfast.

Christian books and Christian messages on the walls freaked us out a little. Overall experience was good.

Okay to rest your head for the night. Very cold throughout the building. Not very clean, but could have just been the result of the people staying there at the time. Staff were very lovely.

In the rooms there should be some tables and chairs. It's very uneasy to wonder all the time where to put your belongings.

Very pleasant stay, staff was extremely helpful. Great breakfast served in a very nice internal cafe. Many activities, board games available to play. Recommended!

• 7th Feb 2015
  • Poland

You can't drink in the hostel. The staff are very friendly! Congratulations!

The only real problem with our stay was that we were not informed that a cat was present and able to roam freely around the hostel. My friend suffers severe allergic reactions to cats, even just by being in the same room, and we seriously think that things like this should be made known to guests. Indeed, it is worth questioning whether a hostel that categorically does not allow pets, should be allowed to have a cat at all.

Sorry that your friend didn't like our cat, you must have missed this part of our description "Please note that we have a hostel cat (called Oliver) who would love to meet you. But if you're allergic to cats you might be happier at our other hostel, Shelter Jordan." Let us know if you want to make a new booking at Shelter Jordan and we'll be sure to give you a discount :)

Shelter City was a fantastic hotel. It was an easy walk to and from the Centraal Station as well as places like Anne Frank House. The restrooms were clean and the showers were hot. Wifi worked for the most part in the rooms. The staff was nice and the free breakfast was as good as it comes for being free!

• 5th Feb 2015

The place was great! Breakfast was really good for a hostel. Only the staff of the reception ware not that friendly.

• 4th Feb 2015
  • Belgium

I was travelling alone to Amsterdam for the first time. Therefore safety and security was very important to me. I felt completely safe in the hostel. Staff were friendly and welcoming. I was given a bunk in an otherwise empty dorm room on my first night, which I really appreciated. I was invited to join the staff to chat during breakfast and evening meal so I didn't feel lonely at all.

• 3rd Feb 2015

The problam for me was that me and my boyfriend couldn't stay at the same room.

You will for sure talk of god there inside. Go prepared And have fun.

Definitely good value for money! Location is so good that almost ever tourist spot is in walkable distance. They surve very nice hot meal for breakfast. Only negative things are that the room is quite tiny and they don't have a kitchen. (But there is a microwave and plates, spoons, forks, etc are available.)

Don't be scared off by the Religious factor, my whole group wre non religious but had a great time. Its a nice clean Hostel in a great location and a nice place to retreat from the madness and get a good nights sleep... PLUS THERES BREAKFAST. If you want a party hostel, prob not the best bet for you...

I really enjoyed staying in Shelter City, everyone from the staff was great and helpful and approachable which is great when traveling alone! Thank you!

Great hostel with a mission. Staff are friendly and caring, especially for guests with a spiritual quest or need. You will end up getting much more than just a sleeping place.

This hostel is very central which makes walking around, especially in the Red light district, super easy! The staff was incredibly kind and helpful! When we first got there (around midnight since our plane got delayed!) they answered the phone immediately and gave us directions from the train station to the hostel. I also loved how they make you breakfast every day and will help you get anywhere in the city by drawing it out on a map :)

• 30th Jan 2015

lovely staff they carried my large suit case but to my room on the top floor and then back down on check out day. they went the extra mile to make you feel valued as a customer by actually talking to you and remembering you the whole time of your stay. Found it really safe and warm.

• New Zealand

Great staff, perfect location. We used it repeatedly. Looking forward to staying again.

• Czech Republic

The staff were extremely accommodating and even took us on a wonderful city tour to get acquainted with the city. We stayed in a 2-girl private dorm and felt very safe in our surroundings. The only thing I would comment on is the unreliability of the wifi in our room. Also, there was only one outlet which was difficult with two people, two phones, two cameras, and a computer