Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Nice hostel, central location, had problems with wifi in room, friendly staff.

Be sure u re not looking for fun if u go there.

This hostel is really close to the city centre. Nice breakfast and nice staffs.

It has great location, very good atention. I really enjoyed stayed at this hostel. Too many stairs though, but everything else was great!

Really lovely hostel I have stayed here before. a good location and easy to find. Just long waits for the female toilets in the morning otherwise no complaints apart from the showers that could be cleaner. The cat is sweet! ;-)

• 23rd Aug 2014

The hostel is located in red light area, heart of amsterdam. Staff was ok and did not give much info. It was a hostel only for sleeping. No smoke/drink within hostel. Open lockers so you need to get your own locks, or buy from staff for 4 euros. Only good thing was location and free breakfast, no curfew. The hostel can be avoided. Won't recommend unless you are only interested in being in red light area :)

I thought it was a bit weird for a Christian hostel to be right in the Red Light District. Although the location is perfect, very close to almost everything Amsterdam has to offer. The café is very cosy, so sweet they have a cat! Some extra toilets would be nice though.

We loved the place. Very welcoming, friendly and helpful staff Location was great (also breakfast) We would definitely come back again

• 20th Aug 2014
  • Spain

Appreciated being able to access some facilities after checking out due to heavy rain outside. Staff very friendly.

• 20th Aug 2014

Loved this hostel would definitely stay here again. I have no complaints about it, the staff is awesome and their mission is incredible.

I had a lovely stay! Staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was delicious! Would definitely recommend

• 19th Aug 2014

The people working in this hostel makes it worth it I guess. They were all super nice and helpful. The location is great, I could go out, take a couple of steps, and I'm right in the middle of everything. Nice sized lockers. The beds were slightly creaky though and the showers could use a little more pressure.

Good location right in the city centre, although being just steps away from the Red Light District might bother some. Staff were really nice, although some hadn't been there long (and certainly weren't Dutch) and couldn't answer some questions about the city. Atmosphere is pleasant, despite it being quite religious (posters, daily bible meetings, etc). Besides the cafe, there didn't seem to be a lot of common areas to sit in. My bike was safe there, but just sat uncovered in the courtyard.

• 18th Aug 2014

Good place overall. 16 people is a LOT for a room. Staff kinda pushed the Christian thing more than I would like.

The staff were nice, location awesome, wifi worked.. But the people who made up the atmosphere were kinda lacking in personality. I think some of the guys I met there had their mom book this hostel for them..

Bad- The shower heads could be more efficient if they could be moved around to direct the water. Bathrooms seemed always dirty. Good- Staff are great, location is great, breakfast is very good Recommendations- You should place wall sockets, for charging electrical equipment ; along with a lamp near each bed with a small shelf to place cell phone or clock.

Fantastic location. Really friendly staff. No pressure to join in on Christian activities (I am not Christian and there were plenty of others who weren't) but lots available if you are interested. 24/7 security. Free breakfast was great (there were pancakes when I stayed on Sunday morning). Bathrooms are cleaned regularly. Nice cheap restaurant in the building. Dorm was pretty big, so there can be people coming in late at night.

Fabulous staff helpful informative shame about the non arrival of the guide for the walking tour, we shared a 4 bedded room with en-suite the room was very small but was kept clean and tidy by the cleaning staff every day, as there were 4 of us we decided a couple of us would use the shared showers and toilets at the end of the corridor, to save time . However after looking at said wash room this was not possible due to them being unclean and very smelly, we also thought the breakfast was poor

Nice Hostel with really friendly and helpful staff. Would be nice if there were more chairs around the place for sitting. The cafe and the tables by the fridge tended to be occupied. Also, there seemed to be a lack of plugs around the building.

I don't recommand this hôtel for the security! I was in a private Room, And the cleaning staff stole my money.

• 14th Aug 2014