Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Doors are noisy and sleeping is difficult, also the bathrooms are not very clean.

• 16th Apr 2015
  • Mexico

Great place to stay for a few days - nice price for a good structure! The bedroom has not so many power points so sometimes it's hard to recharge your phone/computer/camera. Nice staff - very helpful and also the hostel is in a good location, specially for those looking to stay in/close to the red light district.

Great location week point the staff and low amount of power plugs in the rooms

I just have one complaint. We arrived at hostel and I had a problem with our reservation. I needed to on a shared bedroom for one night and my family in other and change next day. Go up with bags and go with bags not because not our if you had a in you system. All the rest was ok

The top beds are a bit difficult to get to. Other than that, thank you for your hospitality.

• 14th Apr 2015

Great, helpful and friendly staff. Best staff so far :3 Walk a little bit far from bedroom to bathroom past some of the computer users but it doesn't matter Just one electricity socket available in room for 6 people (the staff says that its aimed is not disturb other people) but still a little bit inconvenient :)

Really enjoyed my stay at Shelter City - the staff were very friendly and welcoming and the location is fantastic! The facilities were also great and there was an option to get a packed breakfast if you have to leave before 8am, which was really helpful :) Thank you!

• 13th Apr 2015

Shelter: Your name is true!

• 13th Apr 2015

The free breakfast was great! Everything was pretty clean. Showers were not working on the attic floor but you could take a hike down to the bottom most floor showers. There was no WiFi service up there as well, but these were my only two complaints and I'd certainly stay there again.

• 13th Apr 2015

I booked for 3 days, was my first experience in a hostel. I appreciated the fact that it is a building with history but I found the beds very close to each other. It would be very nice if more plugs were available into the rooms and individual lights. The showers were a little bit dirty all the time when I wanted to take a shower (loads of hair everywhere) and no place out of the showers for getting dressed. The back garden is gorgeous and I felt save at all times.

bathroom not work. the guest do not noise after 10 pm.

After a long day of traveling, I arrived at Shelter City and was greeted by a wonderful staff who were very welcoming and encouraging. I felt extremely safe on the property and loved the tagging system for checking phones and other electronics to charge (I left my phone and a camera battery overnight). Breakfast in the morning was delicious, and the staff working in the cafe explained everything to me and were very patient. I loved Shelter City and would definitely stay again if in Amsterdam

• 9th Apr 2015

I love it all!

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Portugal

Overall is great! I enjoyed staying there. I am Muslim but the Christian hostel welcomed we well. The staffs are very helpful. The breakfast is good. Though it is near Amsterdam centraal, sometimes it's unpleasant to go back to hostel because it's near red light district. And the bathroom was a bit dirty in the morning.

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Indonesia

I spent juz night but really enjoyed, great people, atmosphere, location in the heart of Amsterdam

• Poland

The bunk beds were extremely low! I used the bottom bunk, and couldn't even sit up straight without my head hitting the rails. Also, it was odd that lockers were provided but no locks. A small fee for renting locks would be more helpful rather than only offering the option to buy locks.

• Malaysia

From the extremely dirty bathrooms, to the fact that rooms were open for anyone to walk in, I would not recommend this hostel to anyone. The staff was quite rude as well. They gave a group of us the wrong information about tours and they weren't very understanding other certain situations. One worker/volunteer stayed in our room, and one night mumbled about how loud and annoying the group I was with was being. All in all, not worth your time or money. Also, no plugs to charge phones.

• 7th Apr 2015

Can't say anything else than superb! I needed a place to stay in Amsterdam for just one night. As a girl of 23 alone I wanted a hostel that looked good and was not too expensive. Shelter city fulfilled these needs very well! Everything was clean, staff very kind and welcoming. Would definitely stay there again and recommend it!

• 7th Apr 2015

The blanket is thin and the room facilities is not enough ( at least there should be a table with chairs in the room)

The staff was SO nice and helpful and I loved the atmosphere. I will say though that the lack of outlets was a huge minus in my book! The breakfast was also awesome!