Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

A rare jewel to find in Amsterdam - a value for money hostel where you can actually get a good nights sleep! Rooms are spacious with private cubicles and a personal locker useful (with a big padlock). Staff are very friendly and helpful and enjoy mixing with travellers in the homely Café area,serving up tasty free breakfast, entertaining with music and board games or their free walking tour of the city. Great place to chill out with a great location to Central St. Not forgetting Oliver the Cat!

• 29th Jan 2014

The shelter is located next to the red light district, so it's really central. We stayed in a room for four girls and it was really nice and warm, and it also had a sink which was real y helpful. The staff was very friendly and breakfast was great. We were really pleased :)

• 29th Jan 2014
  • Portugal

A very calm hostel, ideal if you simply want to relax a bit and get crazy outside of the hostel.

Positive: The hostel has a very good location, you are on corner away from De Achterbourgwal and the Red Light district but can also walk to Rembrandt and Leidsenplein quickly. Many food and bar streets in the surrounding area, nice staff, free casual breakfast Negative: Lockers need to be brought, no real bar in the hostel, no alkohol allowed in any rooms (as community rooms), anonymous atmosphere All in all good for the price and a short weekend trip!

I think it would be helpful to tell people they need a padlock for the lockers - include this info on the website or in the booking info. I could have easily brought one with me, but instead I had to buy one.

• 25th Jan 2014

The international staff was very nice and help full, I enjoyed my stay it was better then l expected.. derek

• 24th Jan 2014

Very nice location, it is very near the Central Station. It's not a fancy hostel, but offers very good value for money, clean bedroom and very good christian atmosphere. I would totally recommend it.

• 24th Jan 2014

The place is not very new. Ok clean and tidy. Staff is very nice and willing to help you. Located quite close to Amsterdam Central station, 10 min wall.

I really enjoyed my stay at the shelter. We felt very welcomed and comfortable. The rooms were clean and cozy. I can definitely recommend this hostel! :)

• 17th Jan 2014

The hostel is nice if you want a quiet place to stay in a great location . There are no outlets in the rooms to charge our phones and some guests are creepy, its the second time i stay there and had a very strange old woman in my room, scaring everyone else. She would walk around the room all night long, watching us sleep. Weird people stay in that hostel .

Excellent location, rooms are large and good mattress. They offer free activities (walking tours, free dinners (don`t know if it is often). Tennis table tennis available in a nice outdoor area. We missed a good kitchen where we could cook (they only have a microwave and a fridge, it suited us, though.) I would

• 10th Jan 2014

Absolutely wonderful place- best atmosphere - breakfast was wonderful and the restaurant is so friendly with good cheap food which makes staying in an expensive city like Amsterdam much easier -wish Id stayed here longer :)

Second time I've been there, absolutely loved it and would come back again.

Rooms had a lot of people which i wouldn't mind. But people coming in all the time and going through the night made me think twice of booking again with a hostel with so many people. There is no kitchen where i could cook something and when short on money is a bit of a problem. But the stuff was really nice and helpful. Great location very close to night life and red lights. Nice free breakfast. A bit expensive for the facilities it offers.

Very nice staff and great location. We will recommend!

• 31st Dec 2013

Great staff, great location, very safe, friendly staff Good value, for me a good place for short stays 1 o 2 days, no more It was very good in general

we were there for nye so prices were a bump, i guess its the same everywhere though. JD, my man, he's working there for another few months. Hostel was good, a shame that drugs and alcohol are banned on site but it's a christian hostel so understandable (we didn't realise this before we got there so make sure thats taken into consideration...). would definitely recommend it!

This hostel was a great place to stay if you are looking for somewhere quiet, central and clean. However, if you are the type of person who does not cope well around continual 'talking to jesus' conversations then this place is not for you. We had an alright time, bit annoying always having to show the same people at the front desk our papers just to get inside the building and the constant monitoring and suspicion. As an adult being told in a passive aggressive manner 'you know the rules' sucks

i never saw such a friendly atmosphere hostel, very nice people and i recommend for everybody :)

• 29th Dec 2013
  • India

Walking between the buildings was a bit annoying...had to go down the street to reception with all my luggage to check in and out, though oasis was much closer to the tube station. Also had to go down when they needed to fix my card, and to pick up a towel. The included breakfast was better than expected.