Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

nice surprise, great value for money. don't expect any luxury, it has the basics for a backpacker (i.e.: bed and breakfast). staff is friendly and attentive.

Staff was nice, but check-in was really slow. There was only one person in front of me and I still had to wait 15 minutes before another staff member had to come out to help me.

• 31st May 2015

Staff are very helpful an friendly. hreat location. the breakfast was also very nice :)

This is a christian hostel. Made the mistake of staying here. BUT the hostel was very nice. Great cleanliness, staff, etc. Not for me, especially in Amsterdam.

NOTE: This is a Christian-run hospital which means there are bible references aplenty and often people chatting about religious things in the kitchen area – avoid if you’re not comfortable with this. Sadly there’s also no alcohol allowed at all. I was looking for quiet accommodation but as it’s located in the red light district it’s very noisy on Fri/Sat evenings. It should be cleaner & have more charge points in rooms. Overall for a cheap night’s accommodation it’s fine and breakfast is ok.

I'm not religious and I felt incredibly welcome here! The staff and other guests were very friendly and there were good spaces for meeting new people. Also the free breakfast in the mornings was very good. It was a little frustrating though that you needed to show your paper voucher to enter the building because something like that can easily get wet or lost so I would suggest they use something a little more durable. And be aware you need to pay a 15 euro key deposit upon check in

I liked the hostel very much! Thanks for everything! The cat ist wonderful :-) I miss him....:-)

• 29th May 2015

Stayed in a 2 person room which was a bit small but did the job. Location was great, staff was really nice and helpful, and the breakfast was awesome. Overall good stay and would recommend.

I was in the 16 bed dorm and while it is a large room, I felt like there was a few too many beds for the size of the room. Beds were fairly confortable. Great knowledgeable staff. Amazing hot free breakfast. Great common area. i was not a fan of the security at the entrance (they give you a piece of paper you have to show through a window everything you come in) but it worked well.

Excellent staff everyone very kind. Perfect location! Had a great holiday

• 28th May 2015

I absolutely LOVED the Shelter! The staff was incredibly friendly and joyful! They would hang out with us in the cafe and loved giving us suggestions on where to go. The security was incredible which was a super huge plus since my friend and I (both girls) were traveling by ourselves - we never once felt scared inside the Shelter. Also an incredible value for your money - it was very clean, good location, and cheap!

• 27th May 2015

Good set up, top security and friendly people.

Great value for money and in a good location and nice if you want a quiet place to chill out. Only real problem was there wasn't enough plug sockets in the dorm for everyone, however they will charge phones...etc at reception for you.

• 26th May 2015

Thank you! We're working on installing more plug sockets right now! Soon there will be plenty in all of the rooms :)

A very nice hostel, the staff were really kind. The breakfast was very good. It was a nice choice in Amsterdam for the price. I highly recommend and would definitely stay there another time.

• 26th May 2015

Great central location. Staff was friendly and helpful. Atmosphere was just ok. Was offered many times to attend a bible study but outside of that there was very little conversation. One power outlet in my 8-person room. Could not sit up on the bottom bunk. Internet was good. Bathroom was a bit of a walk but was big enough. I would recommend for the location but not the atmosphere.

The only thing I didn't like was that everyone in my room was very loud and would eat bags of chips in the middle of the night or turn on all the lights while we were all sleeping.

We really had a good time in Shelter City. I can only recommend it to the others.

Wonderful hostel! right in the city center! I was worried about staying so close to the red light district as a solo female traveller but the city is so safe, there is nothing to worry about!! The rooms are large and there a few outlets. The free breakfast in the morning is amazing!! All the staff is very friendly and all the profits of the hostel go towards charity which is awesome!!

Staff are friendly and helpful. Located in the heart of the redlight district!

My friend and me loved to stay at your hostel. We will definitely recommend it to everyone we know and will come back to stay with you if we ever return to Amsterdam. Keep up the good work, the friendly and welcoming atmosphere and the spirited place. It is something special to keep in this world!

• 24th May 2015

Thank you! Look forward to seeing you again soon :)