Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

I had a great time staying at this hostel! They have a wonderful, free breakfast in the mornings and the staff are very kind! Unfortunately, the setup of the rooms/bathrooms is not ideal and you have to walk down a public hallway to get to the women's bathroom. I also received several spider bites while staying here because they left the doors to the dorm room (on the first floor) open during the day.

A very highly recommended place to stay on all levels.

Really friendly staff!!

• 10th Jun 2014

I truly love this hostel, it just 3 mins walk to the red light district :D staff is very pretty and kindness. But the toilet is ugly dirty!

Well it was my second time, so that says it. I chose to go back. Would prefer location outside red light district though. Will try Jordaan hostel next time.

A very nice hostel in the heart of Amsterdam. It was my first stay in this beautiful city and it exceeded my expectations :) I was a little sceptical due to the comments on hostelwold concerning cleanliness etc, but now I assume they came from people who expect hotel standards in a hostel and/ or who've never been in a hostel before. It was clean and the staff was very helpful all the time; also, I liked the dividing walls between the bunks. Made me feel like a 4 bed room instead of 16. :)

• 9th Jun 2014

Very nice and safe hostel. Very close to the center and to the red light district. Highly recommended!!

• 7th Jun 2014

The best place to stay when on a budget in Amsterdam !!

Nice place everithing ok.

• 7th Jun 2014

Staff there were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were overcrowded and without any locks, my upper bunk bed didn't have the ladder for the first night, which was fixed the second night but my bed was made over without me checking out and I never found my travel towel again, which was the only thing I did not bother to lock away.

Hostel was very clean and clearly well run and safe. Friday night dinner very tasty and I didn't mind the evangelistic bit on the end as payment. Staff was generally excellent except an incident when a light was bothering me at night and the night staff clearly couldn't care less. In the end I moved beds and told them - a solution they should have suggested themselves. Do not sleep in room 1 bed 14. The emergency exit light will give you a sleepless night.

• 6th Jun 2014

This place was great! Everyone was extremely helpful and nice. I thought sleeping in a 16 person room would be a bit strange, but it wasn't bad at all. The free breakfast was very good. I would definitely come back here.

• 6th Jun 2014

Completely run by volunteers, this is a clean, secure and relatively inexpensive option if you want to stay in the city center. I knew it was a christian hostel but I was a bit surprised by the number of posters, books etc that were of religious content. Noone was pushy though. The breakfast was amazing. Fantastic garden courtyard to sit in. small but clean rooms. The one negative was my check in where I was ignored for 15 min while they trained someone new without acknowleding me at all.

Staff were really lovely and helpful. We slept in 16 bed dorm and despite having doubts over the number of people I slept really well. Brilliant location right next to red light district and easy walking distance of all other areas of the city. Breakfast was free and really good, we had french toast. Only downside was that there was no key to our room which could have led to theft within the hostel, although they were strict with outside security.

Breakfast was excellent! A different system to most hostels, but it works really well.

only stayed one night and was kinda glad, was not too bad of a hostel I guess but didn't like the room setup and no ensuite bathroom/shower. Staff was great though.

Basically good, with a cosy cafe which offers meals at reasonable price and a place for chatter. The rooms were overcrowded. AND they have large glass windows on the wall, very large, which woke us up very early in the morning everyday. The worst thing was there were no sockets in rooms.

I would definitely recommend Shelter City on the basis of its location, friendly staff, atmosphere, and value for money. staff are incredibly friendly and want to help you out within the city. If you are interested in bible studies, they conduct these daily, and all are welcome. The hostel itself has a wonderful atmosphere for travelers to get to know one another in the café, or in their pretty courtyard. Location of the hostel is excellent and you can quickly get to main attractions on foot!

• 3rd Jun 2014

Forgot to take a towel so was able to hire one. Take some teabags, the first one is included at breakfast but €1.20 henceforth! Breakfast is very good, preferring the ham & cheese combo. Staff very pleasant and informative. Would definitely return here.

I really enjoyed my stay here--very friendly staff and guests, and it was a really great price. While I didn't like the neighborhood too much, it was a very centralized location and you could easily get to the rest of the city on foot. Next time I go to the city, I will probably stay at their Jordaan location. My only problem with the staff was that they were not that knowledgeable about the city (I think they are mostly volunteers) but it's fine it you do your own research.