Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

I was staying in the Hostel three nights and i really had a wonderfull time. The staff and travellers were very friendly. The Hostel is near Niewmarkt and you can just walk everywhere you want. You don't need a Bus Ticket. I definetly recommend it.

• 4th Mar 2015
  • Hungary

Very nice staff, didn't like how anyone could walk into your room though. I liked that they had events to do at night such As a bonfire. And Oliver the cat was very cute :) safe atmosphere

• 28th Feb 2015

If you want a cheap hostel come here. Facilities look like an old school converted to hostel. Walls had no plugs and look old and dirty. Toilets looked like camping sites ones. I had nothing against religion, but this places goes one step ahead and bombards you with christian signs like "Jesus loves you". When I arrived one guy was complaining about a stolen iPhone. Lockers dont close very well, get a big padlock for them. There were old ppl in my room (80 ). Breakfast was the only good thing.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood ^^!

• 26th Feb 2015
  • South Korea

It was quite nice, good place(it is located in the middle of red light district, but not that dangerous) nice security (you should show your voucher when you come in), and sooo nice staffs.(all the staffs I met was very kind and friendly) Breakfast was also perfect. I could choose among musli, bread, or warm menu(pancakes, french toast, or bread with fried egg-it depends on the day of the week). Only poor thing was wifi.. It was terrible even in the lobby

That one is a great hostel with a perfect location! You can use front desk services for maps, charging your phone and good advices about city. Guys are really awesome and kind. Breakfast is quite good you know for a hostel, rooms are tidy but pretty small (don't know others mine was like that) So if are you planing to go to Amsterdam, you can stay here with inner peace!

Could improve on the free breakfast being provided. could give more than one option to the people who stay

The staff is amazing, the free breakfast in the morning is fulfilling and delicious, and it's a Jesus-centered friendly atmosphere within the red light district. I learned a lot about God and the amazing miracles he's done from people all over the world. There were a few creepy old people who were staying there… it's not a youth hostel… and they didn't have a community kitchen or a lot of space to hang out aside from the cafe (I might of just been spoiled by hostels in other cities)

Excellent localisation, helpfully and friendly staff ! Good services as well!

Great Location, friendly stuff, only negative: you cannot cook your own food. There is only a little fridge and a microwave.

I enjoyed the company I found at Shelter City, and the atmosphere. They had a good system of security, and I was very appreciative of them charging my cell phone securely in the desk drawer. The breakfast was average for a hostel, although I wished there had been a gluten-free option in there. The only small note I would like to make is that I wish I could have been allowed to stay in the hostel cafe after check-out at 10 AM, since my flight didn't leave until 8:30 PM.

excellent location, nice characteristic building. outstanding friendliness.

• 23rd Feb 2015

The staff was more than friendly and helpful, i'd come back there not because of hostel but because of great people who work there!

• 23rd Feb 2015
  • Belarus

The staff was really nice most of the time although it is a little uncomfortable to refuse invitations to bible discussions or other activities. We actually did want to go to one but we were never in the hostel when they took place. The rooms were pretty clean but the bathrooms and showers weren't. The cafe is really nice and homey and the free breakfast is a definite plus. Although I was very disappointed that they were always out of pancakes.

• 22nd Feb 2015
  • Austria

Excellent Hostel! The breakfast is good, with special options everyday, the beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are clean. It's a very calm and cozy hostel and I definitely would come back!

It's a great value, especially considering they include breakfast (which was very good). It's a bit close to red light district, so be mindful when walking back if you wish to avoid those streets.

• 19th Feb 2015

I had stayed only for one night! Friendly staff, good breakfast (for free), excellent location but poor facilities. Accommodation in Amsterdam costs and this is just a cheap place to stay.

A very cool place to stay. I would recommend if you are in a group. It's not a hostel to get to know people, I would say, because it is very big (too many people). Great location, clean and so on. The staff is sympathic but I didn't get cool (local) hints from them. Just the normal things already shown in any map. I really liked my stay.

Good location, just in the red-light district. very nice staff. you can find all the interesting stores and snacks just nearby. love the breakfast.

A good stay at Shelter City, the location is excellent 10 minutes walking from Amsterdam Centraal and a lot of attractions, great free breakfast and no problem waiting in the showers or toiletts.