Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

That was perfect. No need more word

• 14th Jul 2014
  • South Korea

Just be warned: this is a Christian hostel located really near to the Red Light District. I myself am not religious and although they do offer plenty of Christian counseling, they definitely didn't through it down my throat. The staff was welcoming, kind, and went above and beyond to be polite (they are volunteers!). The free breakfast is the best I've had in any hostel and the Wi-Fi is strong. There are a lack of outlets in the rooms so charge your devices during the day or use a power strip

I have reserved a bed in the female dorm which is located on the third floor. I am a bit scared when I noticed that I have to walk up the tiny stair to my room with my heavy luggage. Indeed, I am really afraid that my luggage will hurt anyone if it fall down from the tiny stair...

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

Overall good

雖然離紅燈區很近.但很熱鬧.也很安全.離景點和火車站都不遠.早餐多元豐富.算是物超所值.值得推薦!裡面的工作人員也和藹可親喔!

Shelter City is a quite nice hostel with a very central location. I could stay there again.

Good location, generally, a good hostel. However, I personally do not like hostels that are so huge. I think they have close to 200 beds and the hostel just feel so impersonal for me. The staff do not recognize their guests because there're simply too many people there. Some are just too busy to give information. Also, they rack up prices during weekends, like most hostels do. They did serve a free dinner on Friday night. It's a good hostel overall, but just not for me.

• 11th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

Best location and kindful staff but little big expensive

Excellent location right in the red light district, and definitely worth the money, with free breakfast (they even packed us breakfast for the road when we left), accommodating staff, and safe, clean lodging within walking distance from the train station. While they are a Christian hostel, we are not religious, and did not feel uncomfortable in any way. The staff was open to talking, but not at all pushy.

Very nice hostel, good location, friendly staff etc. However there wasn't a kitchen but if you asked you could get some hot water for a cup of tea

We had an excellent stay at Shelter City. The hostel is (somewhat ironically, considering that it's Christian) located directly in the middle of the Red Light District, which is a great location! Staff is unbelievably friendly and kind, and there's no proselytizing. Bathroom facilities were great, and the included breakfast was wonderful. Would absolutely stay again.

I had a great one night stay at shelter city. It's an excellent place to stay if you aren't in town just to party. I found everyone very polite and respectful. They have an awesome breakfast that is included in the price. I would recommend, especially of you are trekking solo and want a nice place to stay .

Excellent and very friendly staff. However the toilet cleanliness has to be improved being checked more regularly. Breakfast is very poor as there is a limited range to choose from and you are allowed to get only one portion of whatever you decide to go for. Once again, though, the staff was amazing looking like they were handpicked as they were as friendly and helpful as one could be.

• 9th Jul 2014
  • Portugal

Really kind awesome staff and in a great location

The location is good. Although it's inside red light but it's safe. There is a supermarket near by. The staff is nice. Toilet and shower are clean. I stayed in a 16-bed room and someone took my 1L water lol. Overall is great but a bit expensive.

I love it !

• 8th Jul 2014

Very nice and clean hostel. Staff is great and helpful with whatever you need, location cannot be better,it's very central and everything is at walking distance. Rooms were clean with ensuite toilet,bed lights and lockers. There are just one or two sockets in the room so if you need to charge your devices you need to leave it at the reception. It's very secure though cause they give you a number that you'll have to show later to get your stuff back, same for luggages.Good even for non Christians

I would definitely recommend this place as it is right in the middle if the RLD and still safe and open throughout the night. The people are nice and they give you breakfast.

Very nice people and they showed amazing respect and support for guests. I am truly impressed with the customer service. Breakfast was included in the price. Very nice warm breakfast was served.

• 7th Jul 2014

I stayed in the hostel with my three children: 11-14-16 years old. We spent five lovely great days. This is a good place for families. Although it is next to the red light you could easly avoid it. The staff was very kind and helpful.

• 7th Jul 2014