Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

I like the atmosphere there very much! The staffs are very nice, welcoming and friendly. The hostel have very good security and every night they have activities for you to join =)

• 5th Apr 2015
  • Malaysia

The hostel is good in all aspects, but if you compare it with the price, it's overpriced.

• 4th Apr 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The staff we extremely helpful. We bought our Van Gogh museum tickets right at the desk which saved time. I loved the faith community atmosphere. Contrary to other comments, they are respectful of and weren't too pushy on non believers. Great (and hot) free breakfast. Decently clean shower and washroom area. Could improve if bedrooms were more spacious.

There are not enough AC plugs in the big male dorms to charge in all electronic units.

The staff is excellent and the free breakfasts are great! All around good vibes. They´ll let you use or buy a lock for your stuff and they have a ticket system to charge your phone at the front desk if you have to leave it unattended. Would recommend!

Staff is very friendly in a very christian way. Some people feels this a bit overacted. I'd rather say they are really nice and polite. Security is old-fashioned, you need to show your voucher to enter (to a person). The room didn't have a key, so everything had to be stored in (big backpack sized) lockers. Facilities are not great but Ok. You have a bed, a shower, and a nice common area where you'll surely talk about god. Breakfast is good, the location is perfect No alcohol inside!

Great hostel great staff and facilities. rooms were a tad small though Cafe had great atmosphere and breakfast was adequate and was a nice quiet place to escape the bustle of the city

The staff was really nice.

Shelter City had an excellent location in the city center and it was a good price. It was close to a metro station, a grocery store, and lots of places to eat. The free breakfast was excellent as well. I was worried that this hostel is considered a Christian hostel and I´m not religious, but I had no problems with it. I felt very safe in this hostel.

We stayed in the Shelter hostel for 4 nights, in a female dorm. Overall, we are satisfied from the hostel, the atmospere was good, the staff friendly and the location really convenient. The bathroom was cleaned every day . The breakfast was good,as well, offering an option of 3 possible breakfasts, one changing every day (e.g. pancakes, fried eggs, french toast etc.) Just keep in mind there is no elevator in the building.

• 29th Mar 2015
  • Greece

The Location is very good, the room is very clean, it's very good.

It was a nice place with a very good location, clean and the stuff is very kind. David Vasquez is very friendly and good chance to talk in spanish.. I strongly recomment this place..

• 29th Mar 2015
  • Ecuador

I really liked my stay. However, I would recommend selling ear plugs because it was really difficult to sleep with all the noise outside. Also, if you want the lockers to be more secure, you should sell rotating padlocks or 4 digit combinational locks because 3 digit ones are actually very easy to break into. I had a friend who could do it in 5 seconds, so I was quite worried during the first night.

• 27th Mar 2015
  • Singapore

This hostel was clean and tidy, walk up to second floor. The wifi was weak in our room but it was enough to check email and do basic stuff. The in room shower/washroom was tiny, felt like being on a cruise ship! Had to show your slip at the front door everytime to enter, so someone always had to let you in. About 15 min walk from the main station, and just across the square from a metro station. Right behind is the red light district, but didn't feel unsafe at any time.

Fantastic staff and clean reasonably priced hostel really enjoyed my stay at the Shelter

This hostel is very nice nice staff and atmosphere when i was there i shocked from staff because all of staff they're volunteer!! location is very nice but if you're backpackers or foreigner I recommend take a metro just 1 stop security system is not modern style. you have to show your voucher to staffs and Breakfast is not too much

The staff was lovely and very helpful. Some of the guests made me feel a bit insecure, though. The security within the actual hostel (between the large bunk-style rooms) could have been a bit better.

• 25th Mar 2015

Really enjoyed my stay wonderful staff and high level of cleanliness. Highly recommended

It was our first hostel to start our europe trip; a great first impression of staying in a hostel. Breakfast in the morning was great as you had a few choices, even checking out early they'll have food for you. Very secure building to stay at. Would definitely recommend it and would come back on my next trip.

The setting was very much like a summer camp - large dorms with communal showers/toilets (great for busy mornings. No waiting!). I arrived at 5:30am and was more than pleased to have a bed made and waiting for me to rest without having to wait until 2pm to check in! There are lots of Christian reminders, but never was I forced to partake. Breakfast was good and made-to-order - a great added bonus. Overall great location and a real comfortable stay in the heart of Amsterdam!