Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hostel was very clean and clearly well run and safe. Friday night dinner very tasty and I didn't mind the evangelistic bit on the end as payment. Staff was generally excellent except an incident when a light was bothering me at night and the night staff clearly couldn't care less. In the end I moved beds and told them - a solution they should have suggested themselves. Do not sleep in room 1 bed 14. The emergency exit light will give you a sleepless night.

• 6th Jun 2014

This place was great! Everyone was extremely helpful and nice. I thought sleeping in a 16 person room would be a bit strange, but it wasn't bad at all. The free breakfast was very good. I would definitely come back here.

• 6th Jun 2014

Completely run by volunteers, this is a clean, secure and relatively inexpensive option if you want to stay in the city center. I knew it was a christian hostel but I was a bit surprised by the number of posters, books etc that were of religious content. Noone was pushy though. The breakfast was amazing. Fantastic garden courtyard to sit in. small but clean rooms. The one negative was my check in where I was ignored for 15 min while they trained someone new without acknowleding me at all.

Staff were really lovely and helpful. We slept in 16 bed dorm and despite having doubts over the number of people I slept really well. Brilliant location right next to red light district and easy walking distance of all other areas of the city. Breakfast was free and really good, we had french toast. Only downside was that there was no key to our room which could have led to theft within the hostel, although they were strict with outside security.

Breakfast was excellent! A different system to most hostels, but it works really well.

only stayed one night and was kinda glad, was not too bad of a hostel I guess but didn't like the room setup and no ensuite bathroom/shower. Staff was great though.

Basically good, with a cosy cafe which offers meals at reasonable price and a place for chatter. The rooms were overcrowded. AND they have large glass windows on the wall, very large, which woke us up very early in the morning everyday. The worst thing was there were no sockets in rooms.

I would definitely recommend Shelter City on the basis of its location, friendly staff, atmosphere, and value for money. staff are incredibly friendly and want to help you out within the city. If you are interested in bible studies, they conduct these daily, and all are welcome. The hostel itself has a wonderful atmosphere for travelers to get to know one another in the café, or in their pretty courtyard. Location of the hostel is excellent and you can quickly get to main attractions on foot!

• 3rd Jun 2014

Forgot to take a towel so was able to hire one. Take some teabags, the first one is included at breakfast but €1.20 henceforth! Breakfast is very good, preferring the ham & cheese combo. Staff very pleasant and informative. Would definitely return here.

I really enjoyed my stay here--very friendly staff and guests, and it was a really great price. While I didn't like the neighborhood too much, it was a very centralized location and you could easily get to the rest of the city on foot. Next time I go to the city, I will probably stay at their Jordaan location. My only problem with the staff was that they were not that knowledgeable about the city (I think they are mostly volunteers) but it's fine it you do your own research.

Nice and friendly staff. Most guests pretty normal but exceptions occur sometimes. The non alcohol policy could be more strictly. The take-away breakfast is poor, 2 Sandwiches and a small fruit Juice, enough to survive but to small to be satisfied.

• 2nd Jun 2014

The locker(in the bedroom) is quite old, when you open or lock it, it will make a lots of noise. I sleep on top in 12 female shared bed room, I think they should have something to protect you from falling down (it not height enough in my opinion) But overall facility it quite good, the kitchen and the garden was very nice, There are a piano and guitar for you to play, breakfast included.

Very good place in the middle of the red light district. The staff is nice and helpful. Breakfast although light comes included. No alcohol allowed in the hostel, so keep that in mind. Other than that, I liked the place.

Staff was incredibly friendly and food at the hostel was great. Atmosphere was great down in cafe

Nice enough hostel. Good location. The staff are super nice, and the religious affiliation isn't pushed really hard. My one complaint would be that the rooms are pretty noisy (thins walls mean you can hear everything in the hall and the courtyard) and the curtains let in tons of light. There's no kitchen, but breakfast is good and included in the price.

Top 3 in the places I stayed on my 3 week eurotrip. Lots of young folk, good amenities, excellent location. A bit pricey though.

Its very good I have enjoyed a lot

We initially booked this without realising it's a Christian hostel but ended up being pleased it was! About a ten minute walk from the Central Station, close to transport links and right next to the red light district (if that piques your curiosity). The staff were so friendly and because it's a Christian hostel, the atmosphere was relaxed and non-threatening. Certainly not somewhere to go if you're looking for a loud bar and a smoking room but we would definitely stay here again.

Given it´s a christian hostel i definitely decided to stay there. The atmosphere is great and the staff is very friendly,helpful and kind.They even invited me to a free dinner where we could enjoy a nice meal,pray and have a pleasent moment! The location is outstading,just some steps away from the famous red-light district,but the hostel wasn´t noisy at all,which was great for me!! the only thing i didn´t like at all was the fact that the toilets were really far from the toilets.

Overall it was pretty good.