Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Breakfast was good and location, staff's kindness were good but toilet was a little dirty and the hostel is near the red light street so you had better refer about that.

Nice hostel, in the heart of Amsterdam. Friendly and helpful staff. Unfortunately, I would not recommend you to stay at Male 20 Bed because normally there are weird staying there who like to smoke , and if you are not this kind of person this can disturb you.

This place is a real oasis amid the hubbub of Amsterdam, but only seconds from the action. Nice people, no preaching and warm, helpful hospitality is the order of the day here!

Everthing is ok except the noise made by people living next to the hostel during the night.

• 25th Dec 2014
  • Vietnam

Good location plus free breakfast. Kind staff and various events on going.

• 24th Dec 2014
  • South Korea

Everything was allright. Didn't have any problems.Only thing was i did not like the bathrooms.

very nice place, a bit far

Be careful your electric equipment when you sleep in this hostel. Because someone may go in to your room and take it out. Then when you go to reception there they just tell you I will see the video and after you ask again they will answer you the some word. And there are many people smoke inside.

i was absolutely euphoric with the lovely and friendly staff.god bless them.

• 21st Dec 2014
  • Iran

There isn't hot water on private and share bathroom - sink and shower on 3 floor; Wi fi doesn't work inside the rooms; My stuff disappeared after room cleanliness. Big loss!!!!

Excellent hostel! You made me feel welcome. Nice staff. Would recommend!

A great hostel in a great location. Was happy to not deal with the Amsterdam party/cafe goers in the hostel. On one of the days they had free dinner and I ended up meeting many fellow travelers and share their experiences. Staff members were fantastic and helpful. Some cons, rooms are small and lack light. There were some cleanliness issues too. My blanket had some strands of blonde hair (definitely not mine - I have back hair). The toilets/baths were clean though.

• India

My daughter and I stayed for a few days and then we were joined later for another few days with my husband. The location is in a hard place because they want to shine out to those around them living in darkness. The facility, though not the newest and most modern, was very comfortable and appealing because of the passion of the people who serve there. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Amsterdam because of their kindness and assistance while we were there.

• Mixed Group, 41+

Friendly staff, great location, good breakfast, and clean. A little bit cramped, the bunk beds were too close together.

• Colombia

My room smelt like feet and bad cheese, the windows wouldn't close when I asked the staff about getting them closed nothing happened. Being winter it wasn't the most desirable thing. There was one wall plug in the room but the hostel offered to charge your phone up at their desk. Food in the cafe was poor and the atmosphere was pretty dead. Also located in the transvestite street in the red light district and next to a rub and tug massage joint for those struggling with their beliefs

Enjoyed my stay and very friendly and trustworthy staff.

• 15th Dec 2014

Quaint little hostel with friendly staff and nice clean rooms. Although the hostel is in a bit of an iffy part of town, the security measures taken made me feel at ease. The breakfast is generous, however wifi connectivity could be improved. Overall a good experience

IGoooooooooooooood, I really enjoyed my stay

• 13th Dec 2014
  • India

We are two girls traveling together so it was lovely to know that we could come to a safe Christian environment. The staff were lovely and the facilities were standard. Brekky is basic but good, and they have someone at the desk 24 hours which was really helpful.

• 10th Dec 2014

Excellent location. The dorms and bathrooms are big and spacious (but that did mean it was a bit cold). Staff were friendly and helpful. Only one power point for the whole room, which was really annoying.