Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

This hostel was a great place to stay if you are looking for somewhere quiet, central and clean. However, if you are the type of person who does not cope well around continual 'talking to jesus' conversations then this place is not for you. We had an alright time, bit annoying always having to show the same people at the front desk our papers just to get inside the building and the constant monitoring and suspicion. As an adult being told in a passive aggressive manner 'you know the rules' sucks

i never saw such a friendly atmosphere hostel, very nice people and i recommend for everybody :)

• 29th Dec 2013
  • India

Walking between the buildings was a bit annoying...had to go down the street to reception with all my luggage to check in and out, though oasis was much closer to the tube station. Also had to go down when they needed to fix my card, and to pick up a towel. The included breakfast was better than expected.

I will definitely stay there again. It is right downtown on the edge of the red light district, but very secure and surprisingly quiet.

• 28th Dec 2013

Excellent place to stay !

• 27th Dec 2013

At the heart of red light district, I was hoping more from Shelter City hostel. The rooms are too small and the beds are terrible. I thought it too expensive for what they offer. Could be cheaper or they could offer more! On the other hand, the staff is kind and helpful.

I really love the location of this hostel, and the staff was very kind with us and they helped us in everything, If I return to Amsterdam again, definitely I will go to Shelter City Hostel with my friends.

• 26th Dec 2013
  • Spain

In comparison with other places to stay in Amsterdam, Shelter is rather cheap. And the location in the very heart of the city is very convinient. We liked everything. The staff is very helpful and hospitable.

• 26th Dec 2013
  • Russia

Even though it's located in Red Light, it's a christian hostel, so smoking and drinking aren't allowed inside. (Great for people who just wanna relax and don't put up with weed smell.) Staff is really helpful and they sell tickets to museums and offer bike rents at a lower price. Breakfast is included and worth it. Free Wi-Fi is offered and they let you use their microwave and fridge, so this hostel is a good call if you want to save some money.

Ok hostel, could increase the heigh of the shower doors, I did not enjoy showering whilst being able to look at my neughbour showering.

Wifii didnt work at all

The hostel is at Red Light but it’s safe to walk around even at night and it’s just 5 min walk from Dam Square. Pay attention, it’s a Christian hostel n u cannot smoke or drink inside it. About the breakfast, it’s terrible. U choose between 3 options: cereal/fruit, 2 slices of bread with ham and cheese or the breakfast of the day. All them have 1 drink (coffe, tea, hot chocolate). U are not allowed to repeat. If you are 2 meter high or 1,50, you are going to have the exactly same amount of food.

You forgot to mention the free unlimited juice and bread options! We're sorry you were hungry but there is always more juice and bread available.

I stayed at this hostel for one night as such was just looking for some close accommodation to the train station. This hostel is very religious with quotes in rooms and bible study groups. The breakfast was good. The internet didn't work for apple products and the computers were increadibly slow and wouldnt connect. Although the facilities were good and I didnt have a problem with anything apart from the internet i wouldnt stay here again.

The hostel in very closed to all tourist site in central Amsterdam. If you are a Christian, the hostel facilitate you with bible, every day Bible discussion and night praying.

• 21st Dec 2013
  • Indonesia

I love staff of Shelter City. They are very kind and nice. I was happy to stay there. If i visit amsterdam, i will stay there again

• 20th Dec 2013
  • South Korea

One of the best hostels I have been. Great staff with very good hospitality and accommodation. Great atmosphere with a piano and nylon guitar in a good common room. Very few suggestions to become even better: more electrical outlets in the coletive dorms and power on wifi. Definitelly approved!

the most remarkable thing is someone serving you hot breakfast every morning in a nice cafe with many seats and music & piano !!! :D

I Really liked this hostel!! Iam very happy

• 13th Dec 2013

Location is good for Shelter City, right in the city centre, is in the Red Light District, 10mins walk from the centraal station, but I still prefer the Shelter Jordan, although the location is not so good, the staff there is so warm and nice. Drug free, alcohol free, this is the concept that I like the most.

Very tight rooms. No space at all, cramping too many beds into a room. Beds are very basic as well with small lockers. Needs a kitchen but breakfast is good. Very different atmosphere being a Christian hostel. Showers basic. Staff ok.