Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Forgot to take a towel so was able to hire one. Take some teabags, the first one is included at breakfast but €1.20 henceforth! Breakfast is very good, preferring the ham & cheese combo. Staff very pleasant and informative. Would definitely return here.

I really enjoyed my stay here--very friendly staff and guests, and it was a really great price. While I didn't like the neighborhood too much, it was a very centralized location and you could easily get to the rest of the city on foot. Next time I go to the city, I will probably stay at their Jordaan location. My only problem with the staff was that they were not that knowledgeable about the city (I think they are mostly volunteers) but it's fine it you do your own research.

Nice and friendly staff. Most guests pretty normal but exceptions occur sometimes. The non alcohol policy could be more strictly. The take-away breakfast is poor, 2 Sandwiches and a small fruit Juice, enough to survive but to small to be satisfied.

• 2nd Jun 2014

The locker(in the bedroom) is quite old, when you open or lock it, it will make a lots of noise. I sleep on top in 12 female shared bed room, I think they should have something to protect you from falling down (it not height enough in my opinion) But overall facility it quite good, the kitchen and the garden was very nice, There are a piano and guitar for you to play, breakfast included.

Very good place in the middle of the red light district. The staff is nice and helpful. Breakfast although light comes included. No alcohol allowed in the hostel, so keep that in mind. Other than that, I liked the place.

Staff was incredibly friendly and food at the hostel was great. Atmosphere was great down in cafe

Nice enough hostel. Good location. The staff are super nice, and the religious affiliation isn't pushed really hard. My one complaint would be that the rooms are pretty noisy (thins walls mean you can hear everything in the hall and the courtyard) and the curtains let in tons of light. There's no kitchen, but breakfast is good and included in the price.

Top 3 in the places I stayed on my 3 week eurotrip. Lots of young folk, good amenities, excellent location. A bit pricey though.

Its very good I have enjoyed a lot

We initially booked this without realising it's a Christian hostel but ended up being pleased it was! About a ten minute walk from the Central Station, close to transport links and right next to the red light district (if that piques your curiosity). The staff were so friendly and because it's a Christian hostel, the atmosphere was relaxed and non-threatening. Certainly not somewhere to go if you're looking for a loud bar and a smoking room but we would definitely stay here again.

Given it´s a christian hostel i definitely decided to stay there. The atmosphere is great and the staff is very friendly,helpful and kind.They even invited me to a free dinner where we could enjoy a nice meal,pray and have a pleasent moment! The location is outstading,just some steps away from the famous red-light district,but the hostel wasn´t noisy at all,which was great for me!! the only thing i didn´t like at all was the fact that the toilets were really far from the toilets.

Overall it was pretty good.

It is very central in Amsterdam, walking distance to most of the attractions! The moment I entered the hostel, the staffs or I would say, the volunteers were really helpful and always smiling. I am a solo women traveling, thus the women only dorm provided me extra assurance of safety. Overall, it is well recommended to solo travelers and this is the place where you meet new people all around the world. :)

• 26th May 2014
  • Malaysia

The staff are just the nicest people ever.

• 26th May 2014
  • Israel

Pros: AMAZING free breakfast (ham sandwich, muesli and yogurt or a hot meal like pancakes), staff even gave me a couple sandwiches when I checked out before breakfast; luggage storage and lockers in the room (bring a lock); mini-restaurant with good grub; super safe and friendly Cons: In the middle of the red light district; drug-free/alcohol-free, so you can't really take advantage of being in Amsterdam without guilt; shared bathrooms grungy; felt guilty about not being Christian

Right beside the Red Light District, it's quiet at night in the hostel, good wifi, friendly staff, all English speakers, best price for hostel in Amsterdam, been in the city over 10 times. Grocer 1 minute walk, RLD 1 minute away, laundry 5 minutes away, Central Station 10 minute walk. In my dorm this time around it smells bad in there, but I think that's the other clients, not so much the hostel deal. The odor of being unwashed is disturbing for about 20 minutes until you fall asleep. Dorm 4.

If your new to travelling and the hostel life like I was Shelter City Hostel in Amsterdam was very good! Strong wifi connection even in your bed, good free breakfast every morning, hot clean showers, I stayed in 16 bedroom which I was very unsure about when booking but isn't a problem felt very small, great location walk or bike everywhere, book in advance they are always fully booked downside if you want to stay another night. Your stuff is safe too :)

In my opinion there were only two important discomforts: mattress too much soft and the head against the foots of the neighbouring bed. The other things were very good, kind staff and adequate baths.

• 25th May 2014

People working in the hostel as well as the fellow guests were extremely friendly and nice, which I believe was all thanks to the atmosphere of respect, peace and openness that hung through the entire hostel. I stayed at the hostel because I had an audition the next morning in a building nearby, and everybody was supportive, interested in my story and wished me the best of luck. I had an amazing stay!

• 24th May 2014
  • Belgium

The hostel was extremely clean both in the rooms, hanging-out area, bathroom, and dining area. All the staff was friendly and willing to answer any question they were able to, and would refer you to someone else if they didn't know an answer (which rarely happened). My friend and I stayed in a 12 person room but it was still secure (make sure to travel with a padlock for lockers in hostel rooms if you haven't packed one yet!), and they're luggage holding area was well watched and secured.