Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

I spent only one night in a 4-bed room with it own toilet/bathroom. It was very clean and the the fellow room mates were very friendly. Very quiet. There was free dinner in the evening I stayed and also the free breakfast of eggs on toast with ham was very good. The staff who are volunteers organised a free tour of the city which was very good. All in all, I'd recommend and stay here again.

• 31st Oct 2014

very nice, particularly in location.. Easy to find the place,

• 31st Oct 2014
  • Thailand

There is no plug in the rooms and the bathrooms are very dirty.

I loved the Christian atmosphere! I am a Christian and have been studying abroad for a few months now, and your hostel reminded me of home. It was so nice to walk into a building with a familiar environment.

I absolutely loved my stay! All of the staff were extremely friendly and welcoming and really made my stay great! It was so wonderful staying in a place that shares my Christian beliefs in an area that has such a need for Christ!

• 29th Oct 2014

The staff was super friendly! If you get a chance, go to prayer time and hang out with them or even go to one of the movie nights! They are super chill and really good at making people feel included.

• 29th Oct 2014

I loved this hostel! It is one of the best I have ever been to. They offer many services included in the price. The breakfast they make every day is delicious, it was the first time I have had a home cooked breakfast at a hostel. Would definitely recommend. Has a chiller vibe, so don't expect a party hostel. But I was still able to meet a lot of people. Great location as well. Right next to the center of town.

really nice place!!

I really enjoy at Shelter city. Location is great, separete rooms for boys and girls, there are 3 breakfast on menu + you can take bread, marmelade etc...I really like security: they actually check your ID card before they let you in... staff was nice and they help me when needed. The common area is great and batrooms are clean... Really nice hostel...I wouldn't stay anywhere else :)

• 27th Oct 2014
  • Slovenia

This place is awesome! Everyone who works there is very friendly and genuinely cares about you. I got food poisoning on my flight and everyone there was so kind and helpful that it wasn't so bad. The events are fun and good. The free breakfast is great too! I stayed in a four room dorm for a few nights and no complaints, in fact its one of the best hostels i've been to! the location is yes on the edge of the red light but if you dont feel comfortable going through it you can always go around it

Everything was clean and tidy. The people were very nice and helpful. It is very on the safety of the guests. That was my first night in a hostel and I liked it.

• 26th Oct 2014

Great location. Otherwise no real complaints, but nothing spectacular.

The common washrooms were not as clean as expected also the showers could have been better. The breakfast could be better and offer more variety. The location and WiFi is excellent.

• 25th Oct 2014
  • India

An old place. Not so clean. Dishes in breakfast were not clean. The location is good as well as the fact that no smoking, drugs and alcohol are allowed. I stayed also at Shelter Jordan which I enjoyed more because it is cleaner and better managed.

There were no locks on the doors and the lockers didn't work. The room was super cramped and tiny. It's in a good location and cheaper than other hostels in Amsterdam so that makes it worth it. Also breakfast was free.

I loved my stay and I would happily go back again. The staff are very friendly.

• 24th Oct 2014

+ : Location, free breakfast, security - : No lock at the doors, lockers in the rooms so a lot of noise.

Great hostel, friendly staff, very nice girls

the hostel itself was mediocre, as the bathrooms and toilets were below the standards.. i was in a 8male dorm , however my bed was next to the main door of the floor, so whenever it was opened there was too much noise..plus a window on the wall between the bed and the door, made it difficult to sleep as long as the light was pretty much constantly turned on..

The staff was so welcoming and made me feel right at home. Breakfast was awesome!

• 23rd Oct 2014