Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Whit this hostel I felt like I would come home, staff was in deed very nice, the rooms are clean, and I felt very secure and the location is brilliant

• 27th Nov 2015
  • Slovenia

Nice Atmosphere, I will Stay there next time Thanks All

This place rocks. I give them a 10 out of 10. Spotless, secure all is cool especially Taka. If you can stay here do it ..

One has to know that it's a "very christian" hostel, with free bibles available in all corners, and religious items displayed an all walls, and invitation to prayers everyday... Apart from than annoying "evangelical" aspect, it's very well located, and has great facilities (except a kitchen corner where one could prepare his own food...

Great location. Some of the staff was really cool, but others were overly friendly and really ingenuine. I asked the two girls at the desk that had been super perky and obnoxious if they could help me get a taxi to the airport and they said no I had to do it myself, which is fine but their demeanors were really off-putting.

Over all a good hostel, my only complaint is that the large dorm rooms does not have a lock on the main door.

The staff was really lovely and helpful. Meals in the cafe for luch and dinner are reasonably priced compared to the shops nearby, and there is a supermarket just around the corner. There wasn't much space to put your luggage in the room, but it was okay. Bring your own lock for the locker! Really conveniently located close to the central station, restaurants and attractions. Not much of a social atmosphere as there is no common room, but I still met some nice travellers nonetheless.

recommended to stay at this hostel at Amsterdam. Strategic location, friendly staff, good breakfast.

Very nice staff. Good breakfast and nice beds. My room (5) was freezing cold though except for the morning when I left! Not much of an atmosphere. Other than that no complaints, great location too.

The hostel was nice overall. The only issue that I would pinpoint is the fact that the male showers and toilets were clean but the facilities were old and also the showers were not completely private. There is a space on the top over which everyone can see your head while you are showering. Apart from that, I liked the hostel and also that there was free breakfast provided every morning.

• 21st Nov 2015

Excellent location but did not have a kitchen

• 20th Nov 2015
  • Portugal

The fact that my room did not have a key/lock made me feel uneasy about staying at the hostel. I understand that only guests are allowed in the hostel to begin with, but I don't necessarily trust everyone in the hostel simply because they've paid to stay there.

• 20th Nov 2015

Normally I wouldn't have booked myself into a Christian hostel as I'm not religious... But this was a last minute trip and this was the only bed I could find under €60 at the last minute. I was totally and pleasantly surprised. Location is off a side street in the red light district so it's quiet but convenient. Facilities are really nice, comfortable bed and a cafe in the hostel with reasonable prices. Hot breakfast every morning. Nobody pushed Christianity on you - would stay again.

A great deal! The hot breakfasts in the morning were fantastic, and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Nice and helpful staff. Facilities are decent but aged some decades. I stayed in a six room dorm and it was fine. Early breakfast service on request is nice for people leaving early for a flight or train.

Very close to central location. Located in the Amsterdam famous red light area.

The hostel was situated at the red light disctrict. Anyway is quite and they have good security. It will be perfect if they have kitchen and elevator. Not suitable for people with luggage especially when stay in 3rd or 4th floor. Room is clean but is small.

Great place. Non negative comments about the hostel.

Just wonderful and perfect experience!

Overall good hostel