Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

great place to be, great location and great people! we were very well welcomed and felt at home. Breakfast is extraordinary!

• 19th Jul 2014

It is really safe hostel! It control it's coming strictly ! Almost near the red light district! So , if you wants to join have a red light life. There must be your chose ! We have our own bathroom ! It is good!!!

The courtyard was so nice, however it was a shame people were not allowed to drink here (regardless of the fact that it was a Christian hostel)

Really welcoming hostel, full of backpackers of different nationalities. It really doesnt matter if you are christian or not as far as you behave respectfully with others. The breakfast is great and on Friday we got invited to the dinner. We stayed in a 4 Bed Private room, with two bunkets and a bathroom. The location was perfect and so the security. The only disadvantage about it is the prize, 33 euros per night which seem a lot when you are travelling as a backpacker. However, I'll go back!

Clean, safe, fantastic location, helpful, friendly staff. Only problem - no kitchen (there's fridge and microwave, but it would be useful to have kettle/free access to crockery/cutlery instead of having to go to cafe to ask). Lockers in rooms not very large, so most guests keeps bags on the floor; rooms are not locked, but entry-door security good. Will definitely stay again.

The rooms were overly hot atleast three degrees hotter than outside which is bad in summer the beds were not comfortable and the room never got dark at all

• 15th Jul 2014

Definitely one of the best hostel that we hav stayed thus far!

I liked the atmosphere. It was very clean and the staff were friendly. Right in the middle of the red light district perfect walking distance from everything I never took any form of public transport to get to any of the best attractions. Stayed 3 nights and had no real issues except there were only two sockets for 4 people and they were on the same side of the room sadly not on the side with my bed.

• 14th Jul 2014
  • Jamaica

That was perfect. No need more word

• 14th Jul 2014
  • South Korea

Just be warned: this is a Christian hostel located really near to the Red Light District. I myself am not religious and although they do offer plenty of Christian counseling, they definitely didn't through it down my throat. The staff was welcoming, kind, and went above and beyond to be polite (they are volunteers!). The free breakfast is the best I've had in any hostel and the Wi-Fi is strong. There are a lack of outlets in the rooms so charge your devices during the day or use a power strip

I have reserved a bed in the female dorm which is located on the third floor. I am a bit scared when I noticed that I have to walk up the tiny stair to my room with my heavy luggage. Indeed, I am really afraid that my luggage will hurt anyone if it fall down from the tiny stair...

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

Overall good

雖然離紅燈區很近.但很熱鬧.也很安全.離景點和火車站都不遠.早餐多元豐富.算是物超所值.值得推薦!裡面的工作人員也和藹可親喔!

Shelter City is a quite nice hostel with a very central location. I could stay there again.

Good location, generally, a good hostel. However, I personally do not like hostels that are so huge. I think they have close to 200 beds and the hostel just feel so impersonal for me. The staff do not recognize their guests because there're simply too many people there. Some are just too busy to give information. Also, they rack up prices during weekends, like most hostels do. They did serve a free dinner on Friday night. It's a good hostel overall, but just not for me.

• 11th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

Best location and kindful staff but little big expensive

Excellent location right in the red light district, and definitely worth the money, with free breakfast (they even packed us breakfast for the road when we left), accommodating staff, and safe, clean lodging within walking distance from the train station. While they are a Christian hostel, we are not religious, and did not feel uncomfortable in any way. The staff was open to talking, but not at all pushy.

Very nice hostel, good location, friendly staff etc. However there wasn't a kitchen but if you asked you could get some hot water for a cup of tea

We had an excellent stay at Shelter City. The hostel is (somewhat ironically, considering that it's Christian) located directly in the middle of the Red Light District, which is a great location! Staff is unbelievably friendly and kind, and there's no proselytizing. Bathroom facilities were great, and the included breakfast was wonderful. Would absolutely stay again.

I had a great one night stay at shelter city. It's an excellent place to stay if you aren't in town just to party. I found everyone very polite and respectful. They have an awesome breakfast that is included in the price. I would recommend, especially of you are trekking solo and want a nice place to stay .