Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

the facilities in room is just so so, there is even no Plug in room. If you want to charge your device, you need to go to reception.....and bathroom is very small.....

Location was ok, it's near to the train station (10 minutes walk). Wifi was working, even in the room. Toilet could be cleaner. But the plus point is the people here are generally not the party goers, so you won't get people coming back late at night drunk or high, especially for a city like Amsterdam.

Had a good stay here. Was a bit nervous because I'm not religious but no one was pushy and everyone was very nice. Quiet place at night an excellent breakfast and good location. I definitely recommend.

Me and my friend had a lovely time at Shelter City. It was the most respectful hostel I have ever been in, both with the staff and the guests.

• 20th May 2014

Shelter City was a great hostel! The staff was fun, open, and really cool! The environment was really uplifting and friendly. I would recommend this place to anyone!

• 19th May 2014

We had a great stay in this hostel, although check in is only at 2pm we were able to store our luggage securely. The atmosphere is relaxed however if you are looking for a party in the red light district, this is not necessarily the place to be though you are close to the bars of the red light district and right next to newmarkt which is great for food with a supermarket nearby and a metro stop. Overall we had a good experience there especially with the extremely friendly staff.

• 18th May 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

I absolutely love this hostel! This is actually my second time staying here. Even though it's located in the center of red light district, this place is very safe. The staff are always very helpful. I bothered them a few times for hot water, recommendations for tourist spots and for the last day, a takeaway breakfast. They fulfilled all my requests. I would definitely go there again!

One could charge their electronic devices in the reception but it's still not convenient. Once my iPad was not charging because they didn't check if it's really charging or not. Security was quite good (you have to show your card before entering the hostel). Location was good too, close to many spots. The backpackers I met here were really nice and friendly, I guess that's the reason I like this place. Breakfast is OK, nice dinning place to met new friends. female bathroom/WC is DIRTY.

I enjoyed my stay. Thank you

• 17th May 2014

This hostel is easy to navigate to from the station. The directions provided are clear and the hostel attendants are corteous and helpfull. I will stay at this hostel again.

• 17th May 2014
  • Panama

nice staff very, good location, but showers and toilets not very clean. Very safe

In the 4-bed room there's no en-suite toilet as advertised, just a sink (with no hot water). There was a shared bathroom on the other side of the floor and it was filthy; the showers were barely working, very little privacy, truly uncomfortable. It's a bit ironic that a Christian hostel is in the middle of the red light district. The religious paintings hanged everywhere seemed pathetic.

i liked breakfast

I enjoyed my stay in the hostel. The staff at reception were very nice and welcoming. My room (shared with one other) was clean and a good size. I would recommend to others.

• 16th May 2014

I loved my stay at Shelter City. The staff was so friendly to us, it was really clean, and I loved the atmosphere.

• 15th May 2014

The staff there are amazing. This centrally located hostel was perfect. The breakfast was a good start to my day. I went to a conference in Amsterdam and met the whole world at this hostel. A highlight of my time in Europe.

• 15th May 2014

David, one of the staff was absolutely wonderful - he was always there when you needed him ! Every other staff beside him was also really nice and friendly and always theret to help!

• 14th May 2014
  • Bulgaria

The staff are very friendly and helpful. The security is very good. The location is excellent. A little more detailed information about how to get to the hostel would help.

the best hostel I met in Netherland!washroom is very clean and staff are very nice. but a little far away from Train station (walk 15-20 mins). Anyhow, everything is satisfied!!! strongly recommend !

value for money