Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

It was my first time in a dorm; otherwise I was used to book a hotel for my work tours. I had my hick-ups when I booked this dorm, away from my comfort zone. But at Shelter city I had a really nice time. Staff there were friendly and helpful. Place was clean and I had a good experience with fellow travelers in the dorm.

• 18th May 2015
  • India

great staff. felt like a youth group camp.

Its such a big hostel that it's hard to meet anyone. I only stayed one night so take my advice however you want it, but I would definitely not return and I'm glad i only stayed one night. The beds are aweful and seems unclean, the hostel in general was not so clean and the bathroom looked extremely unappealing. Props to those who managed to have a shower in there. The breakfast included was so so. Location great but i would rather stay at a hostel thats a bit farther away than this one.

The room was so clean, tidy and comfy. I had a good sleep there. There is just one thing that you may need to consider which is the location. It is like inside the red light district and I didn't feel safe walking back at night. However, if you are not staying alone there will be no problem.

Only positive things to say regarding My stay at the Shelter. Keep up the good job! Love & light /Rikard

It was great, its located in the heart of Amsterdam, rooms are clean, staff is friendlly. We enjoyed our stay

• 17th May 2015
  • Serbia

Everything was great with the hostel. The staff was super friendly. There was no card key system but you had to show a piece of paper to enter. I understand why since they don't want to let anyone in. The breakfast was good. I stayed in the 4 bedroom female dorm and there were enough electrical outlets in the room and there was a sink. The bathroom facilities were clean. The location was great, everything was accessible walking.

It was a really afordable option it is clean, well located and the staff is really friendly. The only but that I have is that they dont give keys so everytime you get to the door you have to show a voucher that they gave you, which is pretty annoying.

We loved our stay at the shelter. The atmosphere was so warm and welcoming. Thanks for everything!!

• 17th May 2015
  • Switzerland

It is the only hostel with free breakfast! The People there were very kind.

I stayed in the room with 16 beds and it was well-lighted, the windows are big and curtains do not block the sun light. The space to put your things locked is small. The breakfast is ok, the localization is very good. The security is not good, there is no key to lock the room.

Overall I enjoyed my stay, very nice place, showers, and very fast WiFi, but the lack of power outlets in the rooms is very bad, it's good that there is a system to charger your stuff at the reception desk, but that is not a good solution in my opinion. I think the hostel should consider investing in power outlets by the beds in each room.

Thanks for your comments - we're working on more power outlets in the room. Soon there should be enough in every room :)

Very good position, very good staff gentle and professional, good breakfast, good cleanliness

First time in a Hostel. Really nice Stuff and very friendly.

• 13th May 2015
  • Austria

Serious about being a "christian" hostel, but once you get over that it was great. Clean, well-organized, charming, with free hot breakfast and a great common area.

The kindest staff you will anywhere!

This was by far the worst hostel I've stayed at in Europe. Some of my issues with it were: 1) There was barely any room to walk around in the rooms. They fit as many beds as they could into an extremely small space. 2) For "our security" there aren't any outlets in the rooms so we should charge our devices with reception. That's such bs. They should say we're cheap and don't want to add outlets to all the rooms. 3) Had to pay for a padlock for locker outside my room. Every place til now had a

PROS: Location is incredible. In the dead center of the red light district. Very easy to find. 10 minute walk from train station. Their security is very strict. Beds pretty comfortable. CONS: Not a party hostel whatsoever. No alcohol or drugs. Not a problem just go to a bar 2 feet away. Isn't the most high tech place but it works. Lockers are outside of the room HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOSTEL!!

This was one of my favorite hostels that I have stayed in even though I've never stayed in such a big room with so many people. I loved the Shelter philosophy and how friendly and welcoming everybody was, but how nothing was forced on anyone either. The hostel was a great location as well, and I loved how it was set up and the hot breakfast was a really good value as well. Thanks for a great stay in Amsterdam!

I'm surprise, because it's the hostel more clean, that i know!! All the Staff are so nett and with service was wonderfull!! I like it!!

• 10th May 2015