Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

really good facilities- was impressed by the post box near reception! its a shame that you can't drink at the hostel though.... :(

It's an oasis in the middle of the red light district. You're literally a minute away from some of the liveliest parts of town, but the hostel itself is quiet, clean, and secure. The Christian bit is very present, but not aggressive: that is, there are pictures of Jesus, godly motivation posters, and religious pamphlets all over the place, but the idea is very much that it's there for you if you want it. The staff are super friendly -- plus they serve free breakfast!

One of the best hostels I've stayed in, great location, great facilities, excellent staff more than willing to help with any questions and do anything to help, would recommend to everyone!

Situated right in the middle of the red light disrtict, this hostel by no means is worth staying at. Rooms were very hot during the summer months, the luggage room was narrow and always full so we couldn't get our backpacks of our backs! Very noisy outside and staff offered very little help as to giving advice about the city. Won't be staying here again.

Poor ventilation. The intense summer heat makes sleeping and staying inside unbearable.

The hostel was located in a great area and getting around was very simple. The staff was great, and I loved that the hostel had nights where everyone could do activities together. It was a bit crazy the weekend that I stayed, but the staff were great about tips for safety and sightseeing.

I'm on this hostel for the second time and I'm as happy as last time. So for me it is the best Option when I am in Amsterdam!

• 31st Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

I ve been in this hostel for the second time. If next year I ll be in Amsterdam again, I ll be back here again. Thanks

great company even for guests not interested a lot in religion

Excellent place!

It's located in near amsterdam central station, you can get to there easy.

• 30th Jul 2014
  • Japan

The Hostel was very good for the money ! Very good facilities with a cool kitchen where you can chill on the garden and meet people. The rooms and internet were quiet ok. i just think they have to invest a little bit more in the cleaning because the hostel is really big and people dont really rspect much. localization is perfect. Good hostel :)

Smallest rooms and bathrooms in any hostel I've been to.

The hostel was ok. The staff was nice. The location is great. Right in the red light district. But not the most exciting hostel to be at.

Good location, friendly staff

Close to metro

My ipad was stolen and nobody gives me attention

Issues: No charging points in the room(1 for 16 persons). Lack of space, not worth the money paid. Positives: Nice breakfast, Peace, 24*7 reception.

It was my first experience In a hostel and it certainly exceeded my expectations! The staff were so lovely, they were helpful, friendly, and very welcoming. That facilities were excellent, very clean. The staff members I came across all seemed genuinely happy to be there, and like they thoroughly enjoyed their "jobs" which was very evident! It wa such a great spot to stay! I would totally recommend it to anyone staying in Amsterdam & will stay there if I am in the city again! God Bless

Fun place! A little bit of a walk to get up to the 2 female dorm but I was okay with that because I had a backpack. Hallway was quite echo-y up there and doors were heavy so don't expect the quietest place. I really liked the staff, hot breakfast was included which is awesome, 4 free computers to use, and a huge kitchen area where you can order food. Made it feel like a restaurant and great for socializing!