Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Great security system and very very very helpful staff. Rooms were nice and the facilities were great.

Good wifi coverage with speed Only one eletricity socket share for eight beds. However, the hostel provide secure charging service with ticket mâché ism The locker is not enough for a standard hand carry luggage.

We chose this hostel because Amsterdam is an expensive city but it was a bad decision. The place is run-down and situated in red light area. The room is very small and it was not convenient. I came with my sister and we only stayed there for one night. We have booked the place several weeks before our arrival. however, when we checked-in. the receptionist put us in different room although we tried to ask her that we preferred to stay together but she said it was not possible.

When we done the reserve we did not know that it was a cristian hostel.

• 8th Jun 2015
  • Spain

I would stay there again.

Very good service by all the staffs! They are so happy to serve! Always with a big smile!

• 7th Jun 2015
  • Malaysia

Great place to stay, great location and very secure place. Great value for money, if your heading to Amsterdam you should stay here.

• 7th Jun 2015

This place is located right next to the red light district. Though unlike other places, the red light district is very safe and not dangerous at all so you dont need to be worried about that. This hostel has an awesome cafe, almost like a hotel. Plus there breakfast is easily the best you can hope for in a hostel. But do note this is a Christian hostel and the staff is devout christian. So activities, conversations and decor is all related to that. If you are fine with that then go ahead.

Stayed 2 nights here. Happy with the dorm, but hopefully they add some phone chargers to the beds or something. Otherwise, bed was comfy and locker was secure. The Cafe is awesome, for 6 euros I got a delicious and very filling dinner. Very secure hostel, and free walking tour was pretty good, just speak a bit louder! :)

Thanks for your comments - we're working on the phone chargers right now! Soon there will be plenty of electrical outlets in all the bedrooms :)

We had a great stay at Shelter City. The free breakfast in the morning was delicious and an unexpected surprise. We were able to buy tickets to the Van Gogh museum and save a lot of time by cutting the line. Our only complaints would be that the wifi wasn't the greatest and the hostel was very cold but overall we had a great experience. We highly recommend!

Great hostel and fantastic free breakfast.

My phone was stolen from my dorm room. I left it charging went down for a smoke and it was gone. The room had no lock on it. Granted its my fault for leaving it but i the process after was also poorley managed. They have camaras but it took them 2.5 hr to finally tell me what happend. A guest who has checked out stayed in the hostel after check out and grabbed phone and left. This is a christian hostel in the middle of the red light district. They have pray setions. No drink or drugs.

Great hostel in a great location! Nice and helpful staff! Good breakfast! Excellent value for money!

• 5th Jun 2015
  • Portugal

I love that the bathrooms were always clean when I used them. I really appreciated this! My only issue during my stay is that I noticed A LOT of hair caught in the blankets. I was really grossed out because it was not my hair. I noticed that my bunk mate's blanket had even more hair than my blanket. I'm sure that they're being washed, but they need to be double checked before being placed on the beds.

• 4th Jun 2015

Shelter city is one of my favorite hostels! The staff are awesome and kind. The rooms (even the 16 bedroom) are quiet. Breakfast is very good and included. The bathrooms are very clean. It is also very safe and the location is awesome. Shelter city is located in Nieumarkt which is centrally located in the middle of everything! You will definitely enjoy your stay here.

• 4th Jun 2015

I thought Shelter City was a great place to stay. The only thing I didn't like was the inability to charge your phone in your room, but that really didn't cause strain on our activities and plans. I had a blast staying there. I got to meet a lot of great people, it felt really clean, and the free hot breakfast was really nice. Most importantly, I felt safe. I would definitely stay there again!

The most apt Hostel name ever. Thanks for the comfortable stay :)

I thought it was really cool how the staff members at Shelter City Amsterdam hosted a variety of engaging events that allowed the guests to have fun together. It really shows that the staff cares about their guests' stay at the hostel, and the kind of experience that they will be taking back with them. All in all, I very much enjoyed the company of the staff as well as my fellow guests, and would definitely go back should I find myself in Amsterdam once again.

Very very good hostel! Staff was fantastic and helped us figure how where to go and even got us a discount on a canal cruise. Good size rooms with big lockers! Decent breakfast and a great location! I would definitely recommend this hostel!

Good value for money.