Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

I enjoyed Shelter City. The facilites themselves were pretty good (regular hostel bunk beds) but I think the best value for the money was due to the free dinner my first night there & a free walking tour of the city the next morning. The staff was very helpful & they sell tickets for Canal Rides and Bike rentals at the front desk. Breakfast was delicious. Overall the amenities are average but good,the staff and location (no more that 30 minutes walking to attractions) are the highlights.

Excellent location and breakfast😋

• 13th Nov 2015
  • Spain

The people that worked there as volunteers were great! All the girls were really nice and made us feel welcome! :)

• 12th Nov 2015

Great breakfast, really clean rooms, toilets and showers. Near the main attractions of Amsterdam. Could have more plugs for charging phones and camera. Rooms and beds were really good, but some rooms are too small. Great hostel. Great atmosphere.

Dormitories are like a refugee camp. The whole place is depressing, the "common room" is basically a big empty hallway, people dont talk and look to each other, it is all very shabby. Bathrooms are however clean and nice, staff is very helpful and kind and it is clean.

I missed out the canal tour as I couldn't find the actual location of the gathering point, in fact I was there but didn't see anyone there along more than half hour.

• 10th Nov 2015
  • Malaysia

Friendly staff and hostel is in such an ideal location. Thank you guys!

• 9th Nov 2015
  • Singapore

Very friendly. Great musical atmosphere too, seems to be a stopping point for some great musicians! Stayed for 3 days last minute booking and there were no problems whatsoever

• 8th Nov 2015

I had a pleasant stay there. Overall felt average, which makes sense given low price and central location. The high volume of guests and the fact that most of the staff aren't local kind of hurts the atmosphere in my opinion. You need bring your own padlock for some of the lockers, but you can buy on from them for 4 euros.

The hostal was in an incredible location. Just a few minutes from Amsterdam Central Station, which is very convenient to explore the city. A clean hostal, The rooms are a bit small for all the beds so that might be a bit unconfortable. There's only one bathroom each floor and that might get crowed sometimes (the girl's one of course). The staff was very helpful and nice. There were very few plugs in the room but you can charge your electronic things in the reception or in the common area.

Great place to stay. Location-wise, it was in the red light district so it's cool to check it out at night. Although this area tends to be sketchy at night, the hostel had great security and 24-hr reception so we felt safe. Breakfast was AWESOME (pancakes!).

Laptop got stolen whilst in the shower from my 20 bed dorm. Was in the shower for 2 mins, came back and it was gone. Really disappointed in the fact obviously, seeing as it is meant to be a religious type accommodation. Other than that, cheap and it the best location in red light district.

I didn't like so much because my bedroom was too small I couldn't even leave it out without take off the buck bed's stairs though it was blocking the door! The bathroom wasn't too clean and it was quite far from the room also the lockers were outside the bedroom. Even the nice staff I won't go back there. Definitely!

Perfect place to get about! They breakfast was just what we needed and the rooms were basic but amazing value. Me and my mates had a brilliant stay and would recommened!

• 5th Nov 2015

Great staff that really helped with information on getting around, not too pushy, still let me do my own thing!

• 5th Nov 2015

Top marks for :superb location, fantastic staff, very safe Areas for improvement: could be a little cleaner, breakfast options

Great experience, great atmosphere, amazing breakfast must say the best breakfast i have ever had in a hostel, central location.. what else would you ask for, also staff super friendly, smiley and helpful. Would suggest it to anyone ;)

it was a very nice stay, the location was perfect , the only thing is that we didnt hat wifi in our rooms we had to go downstairs. The breakfast was very nice we could choose everyday a diffrent meal , all in all i would recommened going there. be prepared they want 15€ caution for a key

• 3rd Nov 2015
  • Luxembourg

The location is central, the people are incredible especially the cafeteria. Thanks for everything.

Great staff! Cleanest hostel I've been in. The wifi works great, your stuff is also safe. The lockers in the room are secure. The food is also good. It's also in a great location.

• 2nd Nov 2015