Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

very nice place, a bit far

Be careful your electric equipment when you sleep in this hostel. Because someone may go in to your room and take it out. Then when you go to reception there they just tell you I will see the video and after you ask again they will answer you the some word. And there are many people smoke inside.

i was absolutely euphoric with the lovely and friendly staff.god bless them.

• 21st Dec 2014
  • Iran

There isn't hot water on private and share bathroom - sink and shower on 3 floor; Wi fi doesn't work inside the rooms; My stuff disappeared after room cleanliness. Big loss!!!!

Excellent hostel! You made me feel welcome. Nice staff. Would recommend!

A great hostel in a great location. Was happy to not deal with the Amsterdam party/cafe goers in the hostel. On one of the days they had free dinner and I ended up meeting many fellow travelers and share their experiences. Staff members were fantastic and helpful. Some cons, rooms are small and lack light. There were some cleanliness issues too. My blanket had some strands of blonde hair (definitely not mine - I have back hair). The toilets/baths were clean though.

• India

My daughter and I stayed for a few days and then we were joined later for another few days with my husband. The location is in a hard place because they want to shine out to those around them living in darkness. The facility, though not the newest and most modern, was very comfortable and appealing because of the passion of the people who serve there. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Amsterdam because of their kindness and assistance while we were there.

• Mixed Group, 41+

Friendly staff, great location, good breakfast, and clean. A little bit cramped, the bunk beds were too close together.

• Colombia

My room smelt like feet and bad cheese, the windows wouldn't close when I asked the staff about getting them closed nothing happened. Being winter it wasn't the most desirable thing. There was one wall plug in the room but the hostel offered to charge your phone up at their desk. Food in the cafe was poor and the atmosphere was pretty dead. Also located in the transvestite street in the red light district and next to a rub and tug massage joint for those struggling with their beliefs

Enjoyed my stay and very friendly and trustworthy staff.

• 15th Dec 2014

Quaint little hostel with friendly staff and nice clean rooms. Although the hostel is in a bit of an iffy part of town, the security measures taken made me feel at ease. The breakfast is generous, however wifi connectivity could be improved. Overall a good experience

IGoooooooooooooood, I really enjoyed my stay

• 13th Dec 2014
  • India

We are two girls traveling together so it was lovely to know that we could come to a safe Christian environment. The staff were lovely and the facilities were standard. Brekky is basic but good, and they have someone at the desk 24 hours which was really helpful.

• 10th Dec 2014

Excellent location. The dorms and bathrooms are big and spacious (but that did mean it was a bit cold). Staff were friendly and helpful. Only one power point for the whole room, which was really annoying.

I really enjoy my days in amsterdam! Shelter city, its a Nice place to stay! Very clean, with young team who Works there And make you feel like you are welcome there all the time! Thank you very much Shelter City!

• 9th Dec 2014

That was my first time in Amsterdam, and accompanied by my 12 years old son. The hostel location, at the middle of the Red Light District, frightened me at the begining. But as the hours passed, I've noticed that there was no problem. The city is very secure to walk around. Staff was generally good. I think the breakfast can be better. Eggs would be fine, for example.

• 7th Dec 2014

I had a bed next to an emergency exit, a very simple door. It was a bit cold (but I could borrow an extra blanket) and there was an exit-sign above the door that was on the whole night. Bad. Fortunately it was a lower bunkbed, so I borrowed another extra blanket and fitted it as a curtain to the bunkbed above. That worked OK

I loved Shelter. Everybody is so nice and the breakfest is delicious!

• 6th Dec 2014

Had a wonderful stay at Shelter City! The staff was friendly and the atmosphere was cozy. Met a lot of lovely people who were volunteering and travelling. I would love to stay here again!

Good Hostel. Only complaint is wifi goes on and off, computers located in odd area. Also on my second and 3rd night newcomers were loud outside and inside the room, up until 1 am. I was surprised the staff didn't intervene.