Skyewalker Hostel Reviews

The Old School, Portnalong, Isle of Skye, Scotland

liked that it was a bit different and quirky - loved all the musical instruments

• 28th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

I spend 3 nights there. I felt welcome right away, the staff was so warm, the atmosphere was really great. I had a wonderful time there. Definitly recommend!

• 27th Sep 2014

We had a great time at Skyewalker. Bit of a trek to get there but well worth the effort for the friendly staff and facilities - the glass dome was super cool, and they were very helpful in planning how to best use our minimal time to see this most awesome island.

My 3 friends and I loved this place, we were supposed to only stay for 2 nights but ended up staying for another one because of the awesomeness of the hostel and the people that run it. Thank you for the wonderful time you gave us.

很漂亮的地方,很干净,就是地方稍微有一点偏,公共交通不太方便

Super friendly staff, clean, well equipped and decorated facilities, enough space for personal items (also in kitchen). Unfortunately, our room was right opposite the common room which was still quite loud after 11pm (lights out time) - extra soundproofing or encouragement to stay quiet after this time, might be a good idea!

• 22nd Sep 2014

far away from highly populated towns, it's a nice and quiet place. One night, we managed to see the clear night sky filled with stars and constellations, we even managed to see part of the Milky Way a little! would definitely come back here again!

The dom for stargazing wasn't really funtioning

The only things that I not like was the temperature inside the bedroom too cold for me; The shower was terrible too much hot and too much cold, weren't possible take a shower. The stucture is nice, also the garden, living room and kitchen. The staff was nice.

• 20th Sep 2014

This hostel was excellent. We stayed in one of the new huts in the garden area which was just amazing. The hostel itself was also very cosy and very well equipped. The huts were great for couples, very comfortable and had great privacy, but still allow you to meet other guests and use the kitchen and social areas too. At night the stars are simply astounding from this location too. Everything was clean and the staff were brilliant too. There is lots of local information about Skye too.

We had a really warm welcome at Skywalker, being the staff very helpful. This hostel is really nice and clean with a funny decoration which I think helps to build up a friendly atmosphere between travellers. The only thing we missed was more sockets in our bedroom, as there was only one for 10 beds. Apart from that, we would strongly recommend this hostel for your stay in the stunning isle if Skye.

• 16th Sep 2014
  • Spain

One of the best!

• 15th Sep 2014

While security may be a concern (no lockers, door code useless), hostel is located in such a remote area that you probably have nothing to worry about (except fellow travellers). As mentioned, I call this hostel "at the world's edge" and you should be prepared for that, do shopping beforehead. Staff is kind and helpful. Everything is clean. Hostel's surroundings are magnificent with the SolarDome a real jewel. Showers and WC are spacious, kitchen and rooms less so.

Unfortuntely we arrived nearly too late to the hostel, so the owner called us and asked where we are. We told her that we were in a restaurant close-by and she said that we had to come before 21.00. So I raced there and to do the check-in (took five min) and then came back to the restaurant. This was okay as i thought the woman wants to go home, but when we arrived and after a walk outside, she still was there chatting and drinking. So it would have been any problem to let us check-in later ...

One of the best hostels I've ever been!

DEPENDS WHAT YOU WANTTHE AVERAGE FOR THE ATMOSPHERE & THE FACILITIES ARE SIMPLY BECAUSE SKYEWALKER IS IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE BUT PERFECT FOR A RELAXING BREAK/BASE TO GET HIKING. COMPLETED THE HOSTEL TO CARBOST WALK (VIA TALISKER BAY) TREMENDOUS WAY TO SPEND A DAY.

The hosts -- Brian and Lisa were very welcoming. Georgia was equally kind and thoughtful given I had come off a bad hike that went awry. She waited for me to arrive quite late in the evening and even helped me move some things to my room. That evening there was some spontaneous music which was really terriific and just turned the evening into something special. It's been years since I stayed at a hostel and I was worried before going but this is a terrific place and I highly recommend it

• 6th Sep 2014

Decore was excellent with great little sayings around the place. A real pleasure to stay there.

It would have been nice with a washing machine. Unfortunately we had not been aware of the rule not to be at the hostel between 11-15 and we were very sorry for that. However, we felt like it was addressed quite excessively despite our continuous apologies. One of the points being that we had been told during our checking in at the hostel - which we were not and since only one saw the email it would have been nice with a reminder.

Top notch as usual.