St. Clair Hotel and Hostel Reviews

577 Richards St., Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at St Clair Hostel but our only issue was that there were not enough fans and so we couldn't borrow it for the night. Otherwise, the staff were very friendly, helpful and we had a great trip.

• 11th Aug 2015
  • Japan

Hi: Thanks for your comments, we've added more fans - unfortunately most of Vancouver wasn't ready for our 'heat wave' much warmer than usual here. Best, Lorraine

The room was unbearably hot at night. Even with the window open we got not breeze. I would highly consider buying fans for the rooms to make your guests comfortable. Besides that, it was a good value for our money in a good location downtown.

Staff was kind and nice!!! But midnight I heard something big noise for few hours. So I couldn't sleep well...

Overall we had an okay experience. The heat on the first day/night was terrible. It was very nice of the staff to let us borrow the fan but I think they should install more on the ceilings or have more to give to each room. The showers could be better. I can't complain too much because the price was cheap.

• 2nd Aug 2015

The facilities are average and the atmosphere is calm. The location and staff are excellent! I believe you can make yourself comfortable anywhere, so the small room and overall lack of space were fine by me. The staff were willing and able to help me with all of my requests. I enjoyed my stay in Vancouver and would stay at the same hostel if I returned.

• 1st Aug 2015

Just stayed there for one night. Nice and clean hostel, very effective help of staff. Convenient to get to the airport and the be downtown and close to some of the sights.

• 18th Jul 2015

The location, value for money, and staff were wonderful but the rooms were a little hot without aircon. We would have loved to have a fan of some kind.

• 15th Jul 2015

Pros: Great location, friendly staff, bathrooms cleaned every day, main door locked between 9pm to 9am, interesting nautical theme. Cons: No air con in the rooms, not even a fan in my 4 person dorm - meaning it gets quite sweltering in the summer. A very small locker is provided but you have to bring your own lock. There is a small kitchen on each floor but no real common area so the atmosphere is quiet and it's not so easy to meet other people outside of your dorm.

Decent hostel, not any year social ares to facilitate meeting new people as the hallways and corridors are way to narrow. The main problem with the hostel was that is is just way, way too hot and I was unable to sleep much because of this. Overall I would give the hostel a 3 out of 5 as it was clean and so on!

• 3rd Jul 2015

My only real complaint is the wish for a fan of some sort. We had a double room for women on the 3rd floor and while the city itself wasn't terribly hot in the evening, there was no air flow in the rooms and got very stuffy. Installing fans would be a simple way of allowing people to sleep more comfortably.

Great location, pretty clean. Common areas are not that good. It is missing a lunch room, a common kitchen and a decent tv/living room.

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Spain

Very impressed, lovely hostel, very clean and a great location!

Dear guest Many thanks for your comments, we loved having you as our guest. Cheers, Lorraine

All the staff from thse at the service counter to the housekeeper were excellent service provider.

You get what you pay for, cheap and cheerful, excellent location right in centre of downtown. I wasn't very happy that we weren't shown around the hostel much, e.g we had to ask where the toilets and showers were. We booked a private room which was quite small, the bed only had 2 fairly flat pillows on and the sheets were pretty ill-fitted and not the cleanest, but it's like I said before, you get what you pay for.

• 15th Jun 2015

Hi Sorry we didn't meet your expectations. Our linen is really clean - don't quite get your comments. It would have helped if you'd let us know of your complaints as we try hard to please our guests and would have gone out of our way to assist. We will discuss your issues with "house keeping" . Hope you had a good holiday and trip home. Best, Lorraine

Excellent hostel, great staff, we had a great stay. except for the pigeons.

Hi Thanks for your 'excellent' comments - very much appreciated. Best, Lorraine

Good hostel for the area. Having a kitchen would make it that much better.

Hi Chad: It was lovely having you stay with us. You may have noticed all the great eating places all around us - plus you can do light meals at The St. Clair. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Best, Lorraine

Strange setup. No designated parking and there were no sinks in the washroom. Also, the beds would creak loudly every time the person in the top bunk would move.

• 5th Jun 2015

Hi Salimah: Thanks for being our guest. In answer to your queries: a. There are parking lots in the area, the info is available at the front desk b. We have sinks just outside the washroom areas for your use as well as sinks in every room. c. Will check your bed - thanks for bringing it to our attention as nearly all our beds are new. Hope you enjoyed your visit to our hostel & beautiful Vancouver. Best, Lorraine

Not much "community" atmosphere, so if that's what you're looking for, maybe stay somewhere else. Proximity to attractions and public transit pretty good, but the part of town that it's in isn't the greatest. Couldn't leave my rental bike locked up outside, but had to lug it up the stairs and lock it inside at night. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful in answering my questions of how to get around town and such. No kitchen facilities from what I saw, but fridge/microwave were good.

Dear Kayla: Thanks for being our guest, sorry you didn't feel the 'community' atmosphere - we are planning some activities for guests, especially those travelling on their own who sometimes feel a little lonely. We are right downtown and face a park & cathedral in a good part of town with the shops only a block behind us. Unfortunately our city does attract people with addiction problems (who do damage to themselves) - it can be a little intimidating. Our City is trying! Best, Lorraine

Really enjoyed our stay here, the room was comfortable and clean, we had one of the private double bed rooms that included a sink and mirror. Good access to anything we wanted to see, or a quick walk to a bus pickup that will take you anywhere. The staff were really friendly. Good access to the shared shower and washrooms, never had to wait. No kitchen really, but we didn't need that as there is a great selection of food nearby that is affordable. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• 30th May 2015