Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark Reviews

Zandpad 5, 1054 GA, Amsterdam, Netherlands

StayOkay Vondelpark hosted many fellow young travellers that were eager to hang out and socialize. This hostel is huuuuge, but in a good way. I recommend the 4 person dorm! Breakfast is unbelievable. Location is fantastic. They sell reduced tickets to the Heinken Experience (a must see) and the cruise tour (another must). But bring your own towels cuz they charge 4.5€ for one :P

This was a ginormous hostel right in a very central location in Amsterdam. They have an AWESOME free breakfast, and tons of discounts on sightseeing and various tours. A small downside of this hostel is that they only have WiFi in the main lounge, not in rooms; only 3 plug-ins in a 6/7 person room; and our washroom continuously smelled like stale pee (room B2.03). Overall, though, I would recommend it!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Happy to hear you liked it overall and that you find our breakfast awesome too! I regret hearing about the washroom, next time: please come by the reception and we'll see what we can do for you. Regarding the wifi, soon it will be available in the rooms as well! We hope to see you back another time in Amsterdam.

I really enjoyed my stay! The staff were super friendly and helpful, the location was great, only a 20 minute walk to the center and just down the road from most of the museums; i hardly used the trams! Many thanks!

StayOkay was a hostel environment I'm not particularly used to and I don't mean this in a positive way. The hostel is MASSIVE and the predominant demographic consists of herds upon herds of pre-teens, children, and their parents. I am a 22-year-old on a trip by myself and it was nearly impossible to meet anyone my age or who shared my experience. I recommend to families and youngsters, not twenty-year-old independent travelers.

Hello there. We regret your stay wasn't the greatest. We do cater to different type of groups, of which the individual traveller is an important one. We have a bar, walking tour and pubcrawl to meet others. We hope you had a enjoyable stay despite above.

Whilst the location is very good this hostel lacks atmosphere big time. It's a massive complex with 500+ beds and thus feels very impersonal and almost sterile. The hostel was frequented by lots of school classes on excursions and big travel groups. This combined with no real communal areas except several sofas in the lobby area made it very hard to meet people for solo travellers. There was no internet in the rooms which I believe in this day and age should be standard.

Hello there. Thanks for the compliments regarding the location. We do also cater to schoolgroups, but always try to keep the balance with individual bookings. September and October this year was quite busy with groups, but also lots of indi-travellers. We have a bar and a walking tour departing the lobby daily @ 10:40 to meet others. We regret we did not live up to your expectation on your stay.

Nice hostel with no atmosphere. As a solo travelling this was a nice hostel, perfectly located but with no atmosphere it was totally ruined. Lots of school groups and families seem to stay at this place. Has the potential to be a great hostel but just doesn't quite do it for a solo traveller.

The location was perfect and the facilities were super good! BUT there's a lot of school groups! they kinda take over of all the common area (that is the only place that you can get internet btw) For a solo traveler is not the best place to meet new people.

Hello there. Thanks for the compliments regarding the facilities. We do also cater to schoolgroups, but always try to keep the balance with individual bookings. October this year was quite busy with groups, but also lots of indi-travellers.

Rooms and location are good. However, the place is FULL of 14 year olds who seem to be on their first sleep over ever. The bar area is full of them hanging out, the lobby is as well, and you hear them knocking on each other's doors ALL THE TIME. Not a good place to meet people, and there is no soap to wash your hands with in the rooms. I wouldn't recommend this as a place to stay while backpacking, it is the definition of a "youth hostel".

Hello there. Thanks for the compliments regarding the room and location. We do also cater to schoolgroups, but always try to keep the balance with individual bookings. October this year was quite busy with groups, but also lots of indi-travellers. @ check-in we give everybody a piece of paper with information. On it is also written we kindly ask everyone to be quiet in the rooms after 22:00 o'clock. Reception can always be informed and we can talk/ask groups to quiet it down after 22:00.

Extremely secure! I Was only here for one night but it wasaverage. The sinks are beside the bedsand there is no paper towel to dry your hands so there was a gross pile of water on the floor. The beds are very clean though and overall the facilities were good. They could use better lighting going down the narrow road towards the building.

Hi there. We chose not to put paper towels in the room cause a wastage. In case of piles of water on floor, please tell reception and then we'll fix/clean such things straight away. Thanks for the overall good comments.

Everyone there was in high school with their teachers(school group trip).Not the best social environment.The bar seemed nice and served food.The bathrooms were clean.The breakfast(free) was delicious&they had a huge assortment.Only wifi in the common rooms.A girl we met had all of her clothes turn purple in the wash so I do not recommend doing laundry there(they were not helpful or sympathetic).The staff seemed okay but not the most friendly.Close to lots of restaurants&many tram stops.

Hello there. Thanks for the compliments regarding the bar and breakfast. We do also cater to schoolgroups, but always try to keep the balance with individual bookings. September and October this year was quite busy with groups, but also lots of indi-travellers.

The facilities in this hostel were excellent the only downside is be prepared to be shoved out of the way in the bar by tons of children on school trips! Schools use this hostel for trips and the children/teenagers are everywhere. Everywhere! Lounging on the couches, breaking glasses in the bar, it's hard to meet anyone in the same age group as yourself! So if you are alright with teen central than StayOkay is the place to go.

Hello there. Thanks for the compliments regarding the facilities. We do also cater to schoolgroups, but always try to keep the balance with individual bookings. September and October this year was quite busy with groups, but also lots of indi-travellers.

nice breakfast. it's not close dam square, red light but this in not problem because, you can by walk, bicycle, tram etc.

Hi there, Yes our location is close to the Vondelpark, Museumsquare and Leidsesquare (=restaurants and pubs.) Dam Square and Red Lights are about a 30 minute walk away, or 15 minute tramride.

Beautiful location and great breakfast.

• 3rd Oct 2014

Not my favourite hostel. More like a hotel with very little atmosphere. There are people all ages staying here including teenagers who appeared to be on a school trip. Loved the park next door but it's a bit far out of the main city area. The actual rooms were fine. Really liked that you could hire bikes at the hostel and staff were helpful. Probably wouldn't stay here again unless there were no other options.

As mentioned, the breakfast is totally worth it to stay at this hostel. As well as the beautiful location practically in Vondlepark. I will stay here again.

The atmosphere in the hostel isn't good, and guests don't get personal treatment. Also the corridors stank with mold, and the beds weren't comfortable.

I'm sorry that you had such a tough time getting everything to your liking. I was surprised to read your comments regarding our service and staff. We get a lot of good reviews on our employees and we find customer service very important. You also mentioned that our hostel was “moldy”. We take pride in our cleanliness and attention to detail, but clearly we were not up to standards on your stay. I apologize for all the inconveniences during your stay. Regards, Jesse Front Office & Online

Very clean! Amazing breakfast, helpful staff. There was alot of teenagers there in massive groups so the atmosphere wasnt too great. But thats no big deal :) wifi could of been better, but it was slow because there was sooo many people.

excellent location, great bar!

I really love this place. Super friendly and helpful staff. I had some mail arrive after I had left and they contacted me immediately and forwarded it on to my next location that day. I was so pleased with the whole experience... Very clean, great bikes to hire, great facilities and a cool, young atmosphere. I would highly recommend to everyone.

Breakfast was great, bike hire great, location ok. Pricey storage, getting there early and having to pay for pretty much 24 hours worth of storage was frustrating.