Taupo Urban Retreat Reviews

65 Heu Heu Street, Taupo, Taupo, New Zealand

Always a pleasure to stay at Urban Retreat, just a shame I had to share a rickety bunk with a fidgety sleeper.

Nice hostel, friendly staff. 4 bed room was a bit small and felt crowded with all people and luggage in. No individuall bed light or power points. Kitchen, inside/ outside sitting area good and well maintained.

The reception closed earlier than I expected (9pm) I had not checked before arriving and only just got there in time. Our room had no window, but the facilities were clean, drinks at the bar were cheep and the communal area was very pleasant. Would stay here again :)

Party hostel. Twin rooms don't have windows to the outside and are super hot and stuffy.

Great location, great kitchen, great staff.

very good knowlegeable staff

• 12th Feb 2015

Good location but dorms were cramped, there needs to be more showers and you have to pay for WiFi. Seems a hostel with a very young crowd. Chilli meal deal was good though!

Best Parts: Location (10 minute walk to bus station, less than a 5 minute walk to everything else), staff is extraordinary and helped me plan so much of my trip... Worst Parts: The bathroom wasn't clean at all, and was so small for the amount of people in the hostel, also the bar closed by midnight on the Friday I was there

Enjoyed our stay. Room a little snug so could have used a few hooks and coat hangers.

I was slightly disappointed by this place. It looks awesome but the rooms are tiny, you have to pay a key deposit and for wifi, which I understand is normal in nz but I always prefer the more laid back chilled out ones who don't do this. Also had to pay to leave my bag after 4 the next day which was annoying

One of the best hostels I stayed at in NZ. The reception was very friendly and helped me book the shuttle to do the crossing. Answered all my questions about the area. Great location 100m from the beach and close to super market. Great kitchen facilities and common area. You can't bring your own alcohol but they have very reasonable prices on beer. The room was a bit small for an 8 person but not the smallest i've seen. Would recommend and would stay here again.

Our greeting from staff..brilliant Room 2..toilet, shower, etc, filthy Extremely hot, no window Air conditioning not working well

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

I stayed in a 6 bedroom dorm. It was very small and very hot as there was no airconditioning and only a tiny window. I had a very hard time sleeping!

Big hostel that is close to the water, supermarkets and shops. Small bathroom for a lot of people and it was pretty dirty. Rooms at the back were LOUD as people kept slamming the doors and bottles were being emptied at 630 on Tuesday morning... Maybe try somewhere quieter if you value sleep.

Stayed in 16 bed dorm, really good room but hostel needs more toilets and showers!

A great hostel with friendly staff and a good location to town. Only thing is there aren't many showers. But that's alright, never had to wait for one.

I liked this place! Nice common area. Air conditioning was a plus! Staff was helpful. I liked that they had a bar. Goo deals on drinks. Would stay again!

A great place to stay and meet other travelers. Could use some more toilets and showers, though, especially with everybody doing the Tongariro Crossing

The bar staff could have had a bit more of an upbeat attitude we realise that the stag do's are hard work but if you cant handle the heat get out of the fire.

• 10th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

Good place, generally quite chilled. Rooms get a bit smelly with those who don't wash enough crammed in. Bikes for hire need work as they are a risk.

« first « Prev 1 2 3