Taupo Urban Retreat Reviews

65 Heu Heu Street, Taupo, Taupo, New Zealand

First time ever staying at a backpackers and everything about the hostel was 100% Such a good vibe, lovely people, cleaning was spot on, kitchen facility perfect! Definitely will go back to visit again x

• 29th Jul 2015
  • New Zealand

One of the best place i have been in NZ,, just excellente,, really nice staff

Nice hostel and location, good communal areas with bar inside the general kitchen/living area. The bathrooms could have been a bit cleaner.

Thank you for leaving a review. We love that our communal areas are linked as it makes chatting to people and finding new travel buddies so much easier :) We hope that you are enjoying the rest of your travels.

The staff was really rude during my stay and it's not what you expect when you are paying for at least a decent service. The hostel was not clean, beds and showers included. Very disappointed. I will never visit this hostel again

I was very concerned to receive your feedback as both myself and our long term bar manager were working during the two nights you were with us, both myself and Sarah remember chatting to you about various activities and travel plans whilst you were here, with no mention of you being unhappy about anything. I have e-mailed you directly to hopefully find out some more information.. We hope you are enjoying the rest of your travels and that you made it safely to Wellington

It was value for money and the staff were really friendly and helpful. We stayed in a 4 bedroom ensuite and the toilet was clean. The kitchen was clean and had lots of pots and pans that you can use. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay.

• 25th Jun 2015
  • Singapore

Thanks so much for the great feedback. I have passed on your lovely comments to the rest of the Urban Team. :)

Only free WiFi on a couple of computers by the reception and the bunk beds were too low, apart from that the hostels pretty good

Thanks for the great feedback and we look forward to seeing you again if you are passing through Taupo. Happy travels :)

Annoying hostel. Sounds strange but the doors are extremely loud. You can't close them quietly. Some of them even not when you open them. Staff was friendly Location was good in Taupo

Thanks for your feedback. I have contacted our maintenance guru to see if there is some way we can make opening and closing the doors quieter. We hope you are enjoying the rest of your travels and look forward to welcoming you back if you are ever passing through Taupo again.

I spent only one night there! but was a good time! our room was comfortable!

Bathrooms were dirty and small considering they were unisex. Rooms are far to small for the amount of people sleeping in it! This hostel is below average compared to other hostels I've stayed in the north island! Also please put more staff on when a bus of backpackers arrive as there was only one staff member to check in 30 people.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry you were not happy with the cleanliness of the bathrooms. I have bought this to the attention of our Housekeeping team. With the Kiwi bus arriving at different times it is hard to predict reception traffic but we do try and staff accordingly, I believe your bus (with 16 people on it) turned up early that day. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Great Hostel, with very good Facilities. Lots of showers and toilets. The bedrooms are only accessible by a password and a key locked door. 1Gb per day of accommodation is the icing on the cake.

Really happy to hear you had such an enjoyable stay. We love free internet access too and as an added bonus Taupo town centre is currently in the process of adding free WIFI around town, so you can jump on-line whilst out and about. New hot spots are being added regularly. Just another reason to visit the beautiful lake Taupo!

1 Because they have a licensed bar you can't drink your alcool at the hostel. 2 Internet is not free. 3 washing machine 3$, dryer 2$; you need 2 cycles to get your clothes dry. I think they try to do too much money and your back, which is a shame.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a response. Unfortunately you cannot bring your own alcohol on the premises but we do have the cheapest bar in town and staff are always happy to point you in the direction of where you can drink out of liquor ban areas. We have found that if people drink their own alcohol we often get noise complaints at night and this way we may not make everyone happy but at least you get a good nights sleep :) Free is internet is available on reception computers.

The room smelt, there were hardly any showers and toilets!!

Thank you for the review. There are additional bathrooms throughout the hostel. Following your review we have put up clearer signage pointing people in the right direction if the ones they arrive at are currently occupied. We are glad to see that you thought our staff were as awesome as we do :) Happy travels.

One of the receptionist at the hostel was EXTREMELY efficient. I wanted to change my room type and she dealt with HostelWorld directly since I did not know how to change it. GREATLY APPRECIATED. As for the rooms, I thought they were kind of dirty, there were spider webs all over and it was very dusty. The atmosphere was okay, everyone did there own thing wish kind of sucked. I liked the fact that they had a cooking night and that they offered us vouchers for drinks at the pub.

I believe you might be referring to our super star bar manager Sarah. She has a big grin on her face after reading your lovely review. We are constantly battling spider webs but the pesky things build webs almost as quick as we take them away. It has however been added to our daily check list to help combat the problem. Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review.

Super friendly staff. Computer could do with updating couldn't access hotmail or Skype

Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely review. We have recently updated Skype on all the computers so hopefully this is no longer an issue.

Fantastic location and tons of great people to hike Tongariro or go to the thermal Springs with! Rooms were fine, bunk beds were a little unsteady, but comfortable. Like other reviews said, blonde hairs everywhere...weird. Bathrooms were fine, not dirty, but also not really clean. Hot showers and great water pressure, though! Kitchen was big and easy to use, although all kitchenware seemed like it had been cleaned by the same dirty towel. Free Internet use on desktops. Overall, worth it for me!

When we arrived the poor girl at the front desk was the only member of staff on duty and although she dealt with everyone as fast and efficiently as she could - it was very apparent she was under a lot of pressure! Well done lady you were very helpful!

• 25th Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Thank you for your comments. We are proud of our staff and their capabilities. It is not always possible to anticipate reception traffic and we really thank you for your understanding, patience and appreciation :-)

Definitely geared towards a younger crowd -- if an on-site bar and $5 chili con carne sounds splendid, this is the hostel for you! Location is reasonably central and staff was busy but pleasant. En suite double room was a bit cramped, but new and clean and fresh. No complaints.

Hostel was leaking from the roof, but the beds were fine and staff was friendly.

Good news, the roofer has finally found time to come and eliminate the "Urban Water Features" we had problems with! Thanks for your comments, happy travels :-)

Beware this is a nomads hostel and therefore the rooms are rather dirty and smell. This is more due to the clientele attracted by this type of party hostel. I was in the 6 bed mixed ensuite, I don't think it was with the extra money as the bathroom wasn't very nice and was located beside the front door resulting in being woken by the crowds leaving for the crossing in the morning, or people smoking and chatting outside.

Thanks for your feedback, we are sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We hope you came to the staff with any complaints as there were other rooms available during the time you stayed. It is difficult to deep clean rooms daily when guests are already occupying the shared rooms, but they should be cleaned and aired as much as possible, we have taken this up with our housekeeper.

Great hostel, great place, great staff. Everything was great.

Awesome :-) thanks so much for letting us know you enjoyed your stay with us. Happy travels.

« first « Prev 1 2 3