Taupo Urban Retreat Reviews

65 Heu Heu Street, Taupo, Taupo, New Zealand

Our greeting from staff..brilliant Room 2..toilet, shower, etc, filthy Extremely hot, no window Air conditioning not working well

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

Big hostel that is close to the water, supermarkets and shops. Small bathroom for a lot of people and it was pretty dirty. Rooms at the back were LOUD as people kept slamming the doors and bottles were being emptied at 630 on Tuesday morning... Maybe try somewhere quieter if you value sleep.

I liked this place! Nice common area. Air conditioning was a plus! Staff was helpful. I liked that they had a bar. Goo deals on drinks. Would stay again!

The bar staff could have had a bit more of an upbeat attitude we realise that the stag do's are hard work but if you cant handle the heat get out of the fire.

• 10th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

Good place, generally quite chilled. Rooms get a bit smelly with those who don't wash enough crammed in. Bikes for hire need work as they are a risk.

Perfect hostel for staying in taupo, best one I've stayed In since travelling for 2 and half months!

• 4th Jan 2015

Great stay here! The ladies on reception were lovely and very helpful! Although wifi isn't free, 4 dollars for 24hours was good value for money! Bathrooms and kitchen very clean. Bedrooms were fine too. Cheapest bar in town, you can't go wrong!

Very helpful staff!

A party hostel if that's what you are after.

Generally good hostel. The 16 bed dorm was actually surprisingly spacious. Bar with cheap drinks is good but common areas are closed early at 10pm. Would stay again.

A very decent place in a handy location. Rooms were nice and of fair size, and the common room had plenty of space to sit and chat or to meet fellow travelers. The bathrooms were fine as well. Having a built-in bar was an awesome treat! Would have been good to have breakfast included, or at the very least Wi-Fi.

I never experience any problem during my stay at Taupo Retreat Bay. I had my freedom respected which was the most important thing to me. I can book the same value in future if around Taupo.

This place was by far the best hostel I have stayed at in NZ. Not too big, just the right size. Great atmosphere and people. Highly recommended!!

• 9th Dec 2014

Great place to stay, can't fault it. Bar is cheap and the atmosphere is nice, mixed crowd.

there were three showers on my floor, two of them were super tiny so I had problems putting my clothes on. except of that the hostel is quite nice, nice staff and an affordable Bar - but you are not allowed to bring your own alcohol

Quite a small hostel, very cosy, especially the 6 bed dorm we stayed in. Comfortable though! Bathrooms a tad on the small size too, with only one shower, just have to try avoid peak showering times!! Staff amazingly friendly and helpful! Location is a winner. Would stay again, nice place - thanks Urban Retreat!

Really enjoyed my stay here. Plenty of items to use for cooking. They do an amazing chilli con carne deal. Really like they had computers we could use for Internet access, that was free!!! There wasn't a lot of space to climb onto my bed but luckily I'm quite skinny. Was nice to have a proper duvet as a lot of hostels give blankets. Apart from that, I would highly recommend staying here and will hopefully stay here again when I return to Taupo. Thanks

You made my trip easy

• 28th Nov 2014

Not enough showers for girls, liked the free computers. We would stay here again.

Not great, but not terrible. Everything is cramped and too small for the number of guests. That said, everything does physically work. The house rules are very frustrating and open hours are very limited (kitchen closes early, laundry has limited hours, etc.).The computers are almost always full and the wifi is limited. Has decent atmosphere though as everyone is forced to become “cozy”.