Taupo Urban Retreat Reviews

65 Heu Heu Street, Taupo, Taupo, New Zealand

Dorms and bathrooms were clean and tidy, no issues there. I wouldn't recommend staying here if you're a solo traveler, as the common areas are small and loud, so it's hard to strike up conversations with new people. The staff are friendly but they think they're running a nightclub. Free computer use!! No BYO alcohol is always disappointing. Small kitchen.

Thank you for your comments. We are certainly not trying to emulate a night club and a 10pm closing time would reinforce this. We have a lot of travelers who have met friends, and stayed, who arrived independently. There will be more noise in the evening but both inside and outside courtyards also see people relaxing, reading, chatting etc during the day and evening too. Our separte TV lounge is also available for all guests. NZ liquor license laws are tough so we can't help that, sorry.

We Stayed in a private room, which had inadequate lighting and smelled damp and stale. The room was unclean, I found earrings, hair ties, and tissues under the bed when checking that I have packed all of my belongings. There was someone else's hair stuck in the drain of out en-suite bathroom. I was recommended to stay there by somebody whom had been there two years earlier, this experience is evidence of how much can change in 24 months.

We are very sorry that our expected standard of cleanliness was not upheld. We are constantly reminding our housekeeping staff that all areas of the rooms and bathrooms should be thoroughly cleaned and checked. Our frontline have obviously not inspected this room once cleaned and we sincerely apologise that it was not up to our standard, let alone yours. There is not much more we can say except that this is not how we usually present our rooms, sorry :-(

The hostel staff is just perfect. We were staying there for Christmas and the owners along with the staff had arranged a Christmas dinner. We had susch a lovely evening with the owners, staff and other travellers. Location is perfect (it is located in the town centre) and there's a big Pak'N'Save supermarket just a few blocks away. This was my second visit at the Taupo Urban Retreat and I'm looking forward to stay there again.

It was great to have you visit us again, hopefully you will make it back. We are thrilled you enjoyed our big "family" Christmas, your comments make it all well worth while, thank you :-)

I thought the hostel was good. It was a 5 minute walk to the bars, shops and the supermarket. The staff is awesome! Really nice and they help you really well. They can book activities for you which is free of charge and help you with the choice between the different stores. That have every night a 5 dollar Chili Meal and for 7 dollars you get a drink as well. The common areas are clean, but the bedsheets should be washed better. I found hairs on there that weren't mine.

TUR was the best hostel during my travel on north island! The staff was great and helpful, the room (4 bed with bathroom) big, everything fine. Thank you!

• 17th Dec 2013
  • Austria

Thanks so much for your awesome comments. positive feedback for our efforts makes it all so worthwhile :-) Happy travels

great stay but roomates noisy in the dormitory, staff doesn't do abythig for that. and no free wifi ! com on, update !!

The "en-suite rooms" are small, basic, but fine. However: located on indoor corridor, the rooms are dark because of this and no fresh air as the window opens into the corridor.

• 13th Dec 2013

We really loved this hostel. Great common room, good to meet people. Good kitchen. Wonderful staff and very clean. What more do you want? Stay here! :)

Great atmosphere - fairy party centric. Rooms were clean and comfortable, as was the bathroom.

Amazing! I had the best time in Taupo! You have to do the Tongariro crossing, 20k hike, but it's worthed. The hostel take care of whatever you wanna do. I met awesome people there and I would definitly go back.

I stayed for two nights and it was exactly what I needed to be - central, social, clean. The staff were great and it felt like a really friendly place

• 19th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

I like this hostel a lot. There is a lot of space to hang out, eat, cook, or do whatever. The facilities are clean and the staff are friendly. The chili dinner is a huge bonus! Only down sides are that you can't bring your own alcohol and the bed was a bit squeaky. Great value.

Very helpful staff, great location, clean and cosy.

nice hostel, organised my tongariro crossing trip quickly for me, nearby to supermarket. rooms are secure with lockers underneath the beds. also, you get one hour of free internet per day which is very useful for organising your next stop, etc. kitchen is a bit small but would recommend it.

Great location and great layout. Really enjoyed our stay. Kitchen is well equipped and spacious enough for several people but there is also the chili dinner every night if you don't want to cook and its pretty good. Staff were super helpful with booking excursions. Only downside for me was the lack of atmosphere. You can't bring in booze because it has a bar attached but the bar could use some livening up.

Great, excellent hostel. Staff were really friendly and helpful and beds were very comfy!

1 2 Next » last »