The Jade Emu International Hostel Reviews

Area 10, West Gate Village, Dali, China

I am very satified abt Jade Emu hostel, the staffs are very helpful, they helped me to book the bus in last minute and gave me many useful info. The room was very clean and the bed was so comfortable. Specially, they had VNP that allowed to use facebook. I was very happy abt that. Jade Emu is a very good place to meet people, they have the good common area, specially the library with plenty of great books. They also have washing machine for free. Jade Emu is the best hostel that I have stayed.

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here - really well set up to help with day trips and onward travel. Would have no hesitation staying again.

Very nice room, but we had a leak in the bathroom. Good advice, Nice travel tips.

Overall, we had a great time, the hostel has a great atmosphere, and it's a good place for meeting fellow backpackers.. We were staying in a 6 beds room, which was a bit small, but very clean, and in a very good shape.. The location is convenient because it's close to the main road, and all the transportation, there might be hostels which are located in a more central locations in the old city, which I guess is both good and bad. I think it's perfect for a 2-3 days stay.

Really enjoyed my stay here and the deluxe dorm beds were just amazing. Only thing I have to say is that the restaurant was outrageously expensive. Just because were foreigners doesn't give them the right to charge a ridiculous amount and the portion sizes were small aswel. Apart from that all was good and the staff there were very friendly.

Jade Emu is a top notch hostel. The staff are incredibly helpful and accomodating, and speak English very well. The location is great, five minute walk to Dali Ancient Town. They organize many great tours within the area, I checked out the cormorant fishing which I very much enjoyed seeing (even if it is a bit touristy). There are a lot of Erhai Lake related tours and suggested trekking. The food here was very good (although sometimes a bit slow at night, make sure to order early).

Would stay here again, nothing to complain about.

The staff picked me up from where the taxi drive dropped me off, and brought me to the place where the bus went. They were a great help with getting the bus ticket (which stops near the hostel), and were always very friendly. The hostel looks nice and is a comfertable place to stay, and a great place to meet others.

Very noisy - we had a room backing onto the main courtyard and there were children screaming and shouting from 7.30 in the morning until quite late at night (but this time it was the grownups on the fussball and pool table). Beds were large and comfy. Location easily missible if you're not paying attention like us but good access to Dali old town. The deep fried dumplings were fantastic.

Pretty good hostel, clean beds and clean bathroom. It's kinda weird that thy have like four buildings, so people don't meet as much as they would in the common area. But the atmosphere is great nonetheless. Just keep an eye on your laundry there, specially if you have them do it for you, as there may be stuff missing from your basket when it's done. All in all, good choice.

Fantastic staff and facilities, offer a lot of good tours and the food is great. Very helpful about a lost possession even after I had left, and they have a really useful bus booking system so you don't have to go all the way to the new town - it comes right to the door of the hostel.

I really enjoyed my stay at the jade emu. The atmosphere was great and the hostel offered many amenities that suited my needs, for example an affordable laundry service and no deposit for room key. The staff and ownership are great.

Highly recommended! Just across the street from the old town. VERY clean! Staff is very helpful and nice.

Very conveniently located near old city. Spacious room with good facilities. Good restaurant with reasonable prices.

Easily changed my reservation from dorm to private room, but the 2nd day the electricity was out. It shoulf be fixed in the evening, but still no electricity. Got changed to the family suite in Jade Roo free of charge. Great thinking of the staff and very kind. Locationwise it is the ideal spot to walk in the mountains and walking to the old town is just a few minutes.

My reservation wasn't honored. I booked a twin private several days before my arrival, but when I got there, the staff said that they'd sold all those rooms out, and they gave me a double bed room instead. Thing is, it was my last week with my S.O., and we wanted to share a bed. If I had known this would happen, I wouldn't have booked with Jade Emu in the first place, nor do I plan to ever book with them again. Lily Pad and 5 Elements have been good to me, I recommend those places over Emu.

Fantastic! Great location (just out of the hectic hustle and bustle enough, but still only a minute or two from the good stuff). Our private room was clean and spacious, and it was clear that the hostel put lots of thought into the details. We loved the DVD borrowing system :) It's right beside an affiliated bookshop/coffee shop that is a nice place to relax. The food was also great. The staff was helpful (Cathy was especially phenomenal! We love Cathy.), and we really enjoyed the lake tour.

• 5th Jul 2014

Great hostel

I was very satisfied with my stay at this hostel. It was professionally managed and staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were comfortable and I enjoyed the free pool. One slighyly strange thing was the owner is a pool master and he plays against his patrons in a weekly pool match which everyone pays 10 Yuan to enter. Because he is so good he takes the winnings! At least that's the impression I got.. I would leave it to the patrons only

Staff was very kind and atmosphere was okay. But the toilet was so dirty and never cleaned up when I was there for 3 days.