The Jade Emu International Hostel Reviews

Area 10, West Gate Village, Dali, China

Stayed here for 4 nights, great place! Would recommend to get a bike and go around the lake if you're up to that :) Only downside was the food. Quite pricey and not Chinese food was often not available.

We stayed for 2 nights in a 6 bed mixed dorm. The room was small but beds were really big. Each bed had a safe and the room had an ensuite toilet and bathroom that were cleaned daily. Staff is incredibly helpful with really good english and there is a computer with vpn. Booking bus tickets is convenient and without a booking fee. Really recommend this hostel.

We enjoyed our stay although internet service was the worst we've seen in China. No free VPN as they claim. There's too many trainees and sometimes they get confused. But the real shock was the owner, very impolite and unkind. He told us not to use our phones because we looked like idiots. Also the common area was the only place where internet worked so what else could we do to contact our family and book our next hostel? Sounded intrusive and impolite. It's a decent hostel but that's all.

Hi, This is "the owner" here. This must be a case of mistaken identity. I don't hold those views about using mobile phones. I am also not usually known as "impolite and unkind". We work very hard to maintain a reliable Internet service and most guests I speak to are very happy with it. We do have a VPN. Sometimes it is down as it can be blocked by the great firewall of china - but most of the time it works well. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. Regards...

Awesome place, really comfortable rooms, strong water pressure and wifi and friendly staff. Really delicious food from the restaurant! Bit far from Erhai Lake and the old town, but close to lots of bicycle rental shops. Had a few great games of table tennis with other guests! Would come back for sure

Everything about the Jade Emu was fantastic - the beds were large and comfy, the staff helpful and friendly. The hostel was well located for us to wander into central Dali. We were only there for a night and so unfortunately didn't have a chance to properly take advantage of all on offer but what we did experience was great.

• 30th Jul 2015

During our visits there were a lot of trainees, who were not very helpful when giving advice, directions and recommendations. The ordinary staff (especially Cathy) were very good though. Directions given through hostelworld from dali railway station were incorrect.

Great common area and restaurant. Food was fantastic! Staff very friendly and helpful. Dorms were disappointing though, only a tiny locker, and the bathroom was pretty gross, and wasn't cleaned for two days. Also noticed that the cleaner didn't actually change the bedding on our neighbours bed after she left, just re-folded it! All three self service washing machines were broken and the laundry service takes 24 hours which meant we had to take all our muddy cycling gear with us the next day.

popular spot just across a busy road from old town. A bit bigger than the places I'd normally go and so less personal, but this is made up for by the facilities and great outdoor space. food looked good though I only ate breakfast there, their Italian restaurant next door was very popular with the locals and the pizza etc did look pretty authentic. free laundry is good. Huge comfy beds. only downside was the bathroom never drained of water and therefore smelled pretty funky all the time!

Fantastic staff that was able to book tour around the lake for me and my son. He had a great time playing pool with other travelers and enjoyed the western food which was a nice change of pace on our three-week tour.

Great location located just off the Old Town. Seemed to be some miscommunication from the room we booked initially, and had to top up some money for the room we wanted. But everything was perfect after. Hostel seems newly renovated, perhaps explaining the dust on the ground. Other than that, i think this could possibly be one of my favorite hostels of all time! Kudos to the team at Jade Emu, you've successfully made my friends and I fall in love with Dali!

• 27th Jun 2015
  • Singapore

The staff were amazing at this hostel. So friendly and helpful. I met so many different people at this hostel and met lots of people to travel round with! Highly recommended.

Great location in Dali! The staff are super helpful about getting places and activities to do. Definitely would recommend.

Location excellent across road crom old town Spotlessly clean but. need to give more accurate directions for getting bus 8 to and from bus station

Just great.

I was quite disappointed during my stay. Bad: - shower was basically broken - washing machine may have been as well - instructions on how to get there could have been better - dorm had 6 people who had been there for months, and so didn't seem to care about waking me up each night after partying or to continue their party in the dorm - random British guy walked into my room during the night, high on something, - food over priced Good: - courtyard had good vibe - friendly staff - tasty food

One of the best and most professional hostels I've stayed in so far. Maybe because the Australian owner still seems to hang out there. ;-) Staff was nice and knew what they're doing. They even upgraded our 3 people room to a quite nice family room. The only drawback there was that the bathroom door had no handle and no lock, so was a little hard to move and even harder to get out...even if with family, you want some privacy and not an open door to the bathroom...

Rooms were big, beds comfy. Staff were helpful, common area and food were good. Have the french toast!. Hostel is split over two buildings, its a shame if you end up away from the main complex but its a 30second walk and quieter at night time! Staff were unsure which beds were free on arrival, and this did cause some disruption late at night, they happily walked in to our dorm, leaving doors open and lights on while people were sleeping. Mostly though its an ok base to explore from.

If you travel in Dali,you must stay here!!!

My staying in Dali was absolutely great! The hostel can offer everything you need, excellent food at reasonable price, drinkable water for free, free shampoo and soap, free lockers, ... free postal service, free laudry. What else? The dorm were really clean with a great terrace with chairs and table to chill out in the evening and comfortable beds. The common area has good books, good music, and a lot of happy people wandering around, I totally recommend it!

The atmosphere was nice and the restaurant too. We had a problem with the sanitary, just two for all the dorms andnot on the same floor. And with the security. There was no place for our bags in the room.