The Jade Emu International Hostel Reviews

Area 10, West Gate Village, Dali, China

Great common area and restaurant. Food was fantastic! Staff very friendly and helpful. Dorms were disappointing though, only a tiny locker, and the bathroom was pretty gross, and wasn't cleaned for two days. Also noticed that the cleaner didn't actually change the bedding on our neighbours bed after she left, just re-folded it! All three self service washing machines were broken and the laundry service takes 24 hours which meant we had to take all our muddy cycling gear with us the next day.

popular spot just across a busy road from old town. A bit bigger than the places I'd normally go and so less personal, but this is made up for by the facilities and great outdoor space. food looked good though I only ate breakfast there, their Italian restaurant next door was very popular with the locals and the pizza etc did look pretty authentic. free laundry is good. Huge comfy beds. only downside was the bathroom never drained of water and therefore smelled pretty funky all the time!

Fantastic staff that was able to book tour around the lake for me and my son. He had a great time playing pool with other travelers and enjoyed the western food which was a nice change of pace on our three-week tour.

Great location located just off the Old Town. Seemed to be some miscommunication from the room we booked initially, and had to top up some money for the room we wanted. But everything was perfect after. Hostel seems newly renovated, perhaps explaining the dust on the ground. Other than that, i think this could possibly be one of my favorite hostels of all time! Kudos to the team at Jade Emu, you've successfully made my friends and I fall in love with Dali!

• 27th Jun 2015
  • Singapore

The staff were amazing at this hostel. So friendly and helpful. I met so many different people at this hostel and met lots of people to travel round with! Highly recommended.

Location excellent across road crom old town Spotlessly clean but. need to give more accurate directions for getting bus 8 to and from bus station

Just great.

I was quite disappointed during my stay. Bad: - shower was basically broken - washing machine may have been as well - instructions on how to get there could have been better - dorm had 6 people who had been there for months, and so didn't seem to care about waking me up each night after partying or to continue their party in the dorm - random British guy walked into my room during the night, high on something, - food over priced Good: - courtyard had good vibe - friendly staff - tasty food

One of the best and most professional hostels I've stayed in so far. Maybe because the Australian owner still seems to hang out there. ;-) Staff was nice and knew what they're doing. They even upgraded our 3 people room to a quite nice family room. The only drawback there was that the bathroom door had no handle and no lock, so was a little hard to move and even harder to get out...even if with family, you want some privacy and not an open door to the bathroom...

Rooms were big, beds comfy. Staff were helpful, common area and food were good. Have the french toast!. Hostel is split over two buildings, its a shame if you end up away from the main complex but its a 30second walk and quieter at night time! Staff were unsure which beds were free on arrival, and this did cause some disruption late at night, they happily walked in to our dorm, leaving doors open and lights on while people were sleeping. Mostly though its an ok base to explore from.

If you travel in Dali,you must stay here!!!

My staying in Dali was absolutely great! The hostel can offer everything you need, excellent food at reasonable price, drinkable water for free, free shampoo and soap, free lockers, ... free postal service, free laudry. What else? The dorm were really clean with a great terrace with chairs and table to chill out in the evening and comfortable beds. The common area has good books, good music, and a lot of happy people wandering around, I totally recommend it!

The atmosphere was nice and the restaurant too. We had a problem with the sanitary, just two for all the dorms andnot on the same floor. And with the security. There was no place for our bags in the room.

We overall enjoyed our stay at the Jade Emu. It is located across the highway from the west gate of the old town, which can be challenging to cross but okay. We ended up staying an extra day because of food poisoning, and they were quite accommodating on short notice. The TV and DVD library ( in the neighbouring Song Sisters Cafe) made this downtime more enjoyable. Would stay here again.

Whoa, they thought of everything! A lot of Chinese hostels could learn a thing or two by staying in Dali for a few days at the Jade Emu. My biggest "complaint" was that the Sichuan style food is "too authentic" (here I had my first experience with huajiao - Sichuan pepper)

Really enjoyed our stay at the jade emu. Will be staying there every time we go back to Dali. Double room was amazing. Dorms had huge beds and lockers. Win.

Staff is very helpful with good English.

It's great time at Jade Emu International Hostel because of their hospitality, perfect activities, and so on. I deeply appreciate workers' kind supports for my mother. I really want to go there again! Special memory :)

I stayed here for three nights in the 4 bed girls dorm rooms. I arrived at 7am but my room wasn't ready until 2 or 3pm, however all facilities were available (bathrooms, laundry, luggage storage) while I waited. The rooms themselves were quite nice - soft big beds with electric blankets and security boxes. For the most part staff were really helpful and friendly although trying to book anything more than a day ahead of time seemed like an inconvenience to them. Excellent food.

This hostel is really awesome,the staffs are all friendly and helpful.

• 16th Feb 2015