The Jade Emu International Hostel Reviews

Area 10, West Gate Village, Dali, China

Fantastic staff and facilities, offer a lot of good tours and the food is great. Very helpful about a lost possession even after I had left, and they have a really useful bus booking system so you don't have to go all the way to the new town - it comes right to the door of the hostel.

I really enjoyed my stay at the jade emu. The atmosphere was great and the hostel offered many amenities that suited my needs, for example an affordable laundry service and no deposit for room key. The staff and ownership are great.

Highly recommended! Just across the street from the old town. VERY clean! Staff is very helpful and nice.

Very conveniently located near old city. Spacious room with good facilities. Good restaurant with reasonable prices.

Easily changed my reservation from dorm to private room, but the 2nd day the electricity was out. It shoulf be fixed in the evening, but still no electricity. Got changed to the family suite in Jade Roo free of charge. Great thinking of the staff and very kind. Locationwise it is the ideal spot to walk in the mountains and walking to the old town is just a few minutes.

My reservation wasn't honored. I booked a twin private several days before my arrival, but when I got there, the staff said that they'd sold all those rooms out, and they gave me a double bed room instead. Thing is, it was my last week with my S.O., and we wanted to share a bed. If I had known this would happen, I wouldn't have booked with Jade Emu in the first place, nor do I plan to ever book with them again. Lily Pad and 5 Elements have been good to me, I recommend those places over Emu.

Fantastic! Great location (just out of the hectic hustle and bustle enough, but still only a minute or two from the good stuff). Our private room was clean and spacious, and it was clear that the hostel put lots of thought into the details. We loved the DVD borrowing system :) It's right beside an affiliated bookshop/coffee shop that is a nice place to relax. The food was also great. The staff was helpful (Cathy was especially phenomenal! We love Cathy.), and we really enjoyed the lake tour.

• 5th Jul 2014

Great hostel

I was very satisfied with my stay at this hostel. It was professionally managed and staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were comfortable and I enjoyed the free pool. One slighyly strange thing was the owner is a pool master and he plays against his patrons in a weekly pool match which everyone pays 10 Yuan to enter. Because he is so good he takes the winnings! At least that's the impression I got.. I would leave it to the patrons only

Staff was very kind and atmosphere was okay. But the toilet was so dirty and never cleaned up when I was there for 3 days.

I live near Dali and stay here every time. I've tried most of the popular hostels in Dali and this is still the best. There's the best food, staff, and they have cool extras like free DVD rentals and a weekly BBQ. Rooms are really clean and the owners' kids are the cutest!

Though I understand it is a common problem in China that toilet get clogged easily when you throw the toilet paper in it. But I would really hope it can improve in time. Also the towels were quite old maybe the hostel could consider change new ones?

Awesome location. The sandwiches are mind blowing. The mint and the pomello tea are amazing :D But don't wake up Liam Neeson

Great hostel but small lockers. Amazing WiFi signal in the yard, not as strong in the rooms. Go to the Yousuo market on a Friday morning !

Only major gripe Is the food. They have western and Chinese food, but only offer them at opposing times. It happened to me three times that I picked a dish I wanted to eat only to be informed I couldn't have that dish because the kitchen was closed. Also, they do not start serving breakfast until 8am which is quite late to me. Any early riser will be very hungry by this time.

Very nice, clean and new rooms. Fantastic atmosphere caused by very friendly staff, wonderful western-food, several games at the public area (table-tennis, pool, table-soccer, dart). It was one of the cheapest hotels we have stayed at in China, but the best!

In terms of all-round facilities and services the Jade Emu is one of the best hostels I have stayed. The attention to detail is very good, from the deliberate separation of communal social spaces, to the locker design, the PC set-up, the multi-router WiFi structure and the helpful and highly professional (Smart casual dress) staff at the front desk. The tours (If you are interested), the maps, the pieces of advice dotted around the place - It all adds up to a wholesome and easy place to be based

this hostel will be good choice for you. the staff is excellent, who are speaking English very well and are very kind. they will definately help you when you need. Also, the woman who is the mother of the onwer is uncredibly kind to all guests, i feel so happy when she's talking to me. Speaking of other things, i think i don't have mention because this hostel is very well managed.

great place to stay, and only a short walk to the ancient town. they were fixing a toilet that was a shared that i would've been using, but instead i had to walk a little bit further to another. i didn't think this was a problem, but they insisted on giving me a free upgrade to a room with a private ensuite! awesome.

All staffs are very nice and helpful. The room is good and clean. The food is delicious but it takes long time to cook.