The Jade Emu International Hostel Reviews

Area 10, West Gate Village, Dali, China

Jade Emu was very closely located to the Old Town. It was very convenient to walk there from the hostel. Also the Three Pagodas is accessible by a 20-minute walk. The hostel staff provided great travel advice as well. A great hostel if you are visiting Dali for several days. It is located about a 40 minute taxi ride from the train station.

Great value for money! I wouldn't want to sleep in an other hostel!

Lockers were broken, key to room didn't work and was never fixed for me. The bathroom door has holes in it. It can get loud at the bar and the rooms face it

Nice place, good internet and food. Can sometimes be a long wait.

Really wonderful hostel. Had a great vibe and easy to socialise for solo travellers. Became quite friendly with one of the staff 'Edward', who was very helpful with everything and I considered a friend by the time I left! While not in the old town, it's just on the fringes and it only takes a minute to get into the old town. Private room was decent, heating would've been a bonus. Breakfast was excellent (not surprised since the place is owned by an Aussie)!

Lacks a kitchen

It's a super friendly hostel to stay. It's 5 minutes walk from the north gate of the city wall. They have really cool common areas with pool and ping pong tables. They arrange different activities if you want to join them. On Thursdays they prepare great barbecues! The beds are huge and comfortable. The only thing I could say is that they have to do something with the showers inside the rooms as there is no way to avoid wetting all the room and making it dirty.

One of my favourite hostels in china! Very chilled relaxed hostel close to the old city. The hostel itself has lots to do to keep you entertained and the staff are really friendly and helpful! Only small complaint is that although there were lockers, I wasn't able to have a key for one- but not a major problem. Food is also good, even if a little pricey!

liked the safety deposit box under the bed. the food was good but expensively. great book store. conveniently just across the street from old town

Great place with a nice vibe. It's got a great courtyard that everyone hangs out in with pool table and bar, excellent for meeting other travellers. It's just outside the walls of old town, so good location. Food is a bit pricier than if you eat in town but it has a great selection. Only downside is there is no heating in the rooms (they do have electric blankets though), so it gets pretty chilly, must be freezing in winter!

Awesome hostel, one of the best ones Iv'e seen in China, maybe even the best. There was a problem with my booking so the owner came to talk to me and my friend and figured a solution in a positive and respectful way. We really enjoyed our stay there, great location next to the old town, there are always cool people around, great food and good facilities. I recommend staying here, it is a good value for money and it will make your stay in Dali to feel like home.

This is a quiet lovely and homey stay at one of the most remote places I've been to in my life. I regretted not staying longer. Even when I got rained in, I knew I was well taken care of, supplied great food - western and eastern, and surrounded by very sweet guests who happen to find their way to this wonderful chilled resort.

• 27th Aug 2015
  • Israel

Stayed here for 4 nights, great place! Would recommend to get a bike and go around the lake if you're up to that :) Only downside was the food. Quite pricey and not Chinese food was often not available.

We stayed for 2 nights in a 6 bed mixed dorm. The room was small but beds were really big. Each bed had a safe and the room had an ensuite toilet and bathroom that were cleaned daily. Staff is incredibly helpful with really good english and there is a computer with vpn. Booking bus tickets is convenient and without a booking fee. Really recommend this hostel.

We enjoyed our stay although internet service was the worst we've seen in China. No free VPN as they claim. There's too many trainees and sometimes they get confused. But the real shock was the owner, very impolite and unkind. He told us not to use our phones because we looked like idiots. Also the common area was the only place where internet worked so what else could we do to contact our family and book our next hostel? Sounded intrusive and impolite. It's a decent hostel but that's all.

Hi, This is "the owner" here. This must be a case of mistaken identity. I don't hold those views about using mobile phones. I am also not usually known as "impolite and unkind". We work very hard to maintain a reliable Internet service and most guests I speak to are very happy with it. We do have a VPN. Sometimes it is down as it can be blocked by the great firewall of china - but most of the time it works well. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. Regards...