The Jade Emu International Hostel Reviews

Area 10, West Gate Village, Dali, China

My dorm room was quite dirty (the floor and the bathroom). The bed however was great, much bigger than in other places. Staff is nice, facilities great (free use of washing machine). There's a quiet sundeck with excellent views on the top floor. I found the atmosphere a bit strange, there were quite a few older western people always drinking, smoking and playing ping pong throughout the day. I guess this depends on you if you like this or not, i just didn't meet people who fit to me when i went.

probably the best hostel I've stayed at so far. staff if super friendly and helpful. rooms are clean. i'd definitely go there again!

• 24th Mar 2014

Just on the edge of old town so perfect location. Friendly and helpful staff. Very nice food, I only ate western when I was there as I needed a break from rice etc. Warm and confortable dorm. Perhaps not best to meet people but maybe it's the season!

A simply brilliant hostel for us, the room was comfortable and large with a great ensuite. We loved hanging out downstairs in the open air and the staff could not have been more helpful, through in some yummy food and we were very very happy!!! A great stay, thank you very much to all the staff.

Easy access tk the old town , very helful staff

The hostel is close to the old town but not inside the old town, so it is not crowded during the day. The staff was really helfpfull.

My favourite hostel in Yunnan. Each resident is provided with a metal safe in their room. Cross the high way and you are right there in the old town of Dali. The hostel is near the big mountain range. Staff were helpful and polite and nicely reserved. Quite a nice and relaxed atmosphere overall. Delicious food on offer (cashew and chicken curry yeah!). Bathroom smelt musty but that was fine. Facilities were clean. Gary, the bookshop man, was a gent and full of info. Good value, not to be missed.

The hostel was in a fantastic location, right near Old Town of Dali and fronting the magnificent Cangshan Mountains, making it easy access to the hiking trails or renting a bike to tour Erhai. The hostel featured many useful services and also very VERY tasty food! We enjoyed our first stay very much!

Good location, near west and south gates of old Dali. The food is really good, mix of western and asian dishes. They also have a BBQ night on Thursdays! The courtyard is really nice to chill out and they also have a bookshop near the hotel with a lot of english books. Staff is really nice and helpful apart from Sophie who was a bit rude.

Quite disappointed. Had to spend the first night in my room in the dark, the lights were controlled by a main button BEHIND the bathroom door, the staff never told me, really uncomfortable to spend my first night in the dark and cold, couldn't use any of the appliances or dry my hair next day in a very cold room. No drinking water provided in the room (free neither paid water,) that made my stay even worse. Brought my keys to reception to have my room clean, it wash't done. So much to improve.

• 9th Feb 2014
  • Chile

Great hostel, great food - both Chinese and Western including real New Zealand cheddar cheese!!!!! great staff who were really helpful (they even advised us not to rent a scooter from them but from a place in town as they were better!) Dali is a gorgeous city and the hostel is just a few mins walk from the centre. Recommend the Bad Monkey bar, British owned, which also does a fab Sunday Roast cooked by the owners themselves :)

Fantastic hostel, would go back in a heartbeat.

Great hostel!! Very good location, big rooms, comfortable beds and amazing courtyard to relax in the evening. I also recommend the tours they organize, they are good value for money.

Just one Word. Perfect!

This hostel was very comfortable by Western standards. The dorm beds are very comfortable, food and beverages were on par or cheaper than restaurants and bars in the old town. Very knowledgeable and helpful staff who speak great English... and free do it yourself laundry. The owner was lovely and the quality of the stay at the hostel compared to the price of a bed is the best I have seen in Western China.

it is the best hostel in wich ive stayed in china so far and ive been here 5 years!! the rooms are fantastic and then staff is very helpful. The food is great and after eating outside we decided that the best food was there. If i ever come to Dali again, without any doubt ill stay here again.

A very nice hostel which is a great value for money.

The hostel is very hard to find the itinerary on the website is very bad. The staff was soso except Tanya, she was patient and friendly, thanks to her.

Thé staff is very helpful and you cant fond à betterave place

Double bed ensuite room relief my stress after 4 hours travelling in the express bus from Kunming to Dali. Walking distance to Dali oldtown and the train ticket can purchase on the opposite of the south gate of oldtown. The restaurant in front of the hostel serve a nice dishes with resonable prices. From Dali to Lijiang only 2 hours by train. I really enjoy the trips from Kunming (2 nights) to Dali (2 nights) to Lijiang (4 nights) then by train back to Kunming (2 nights).