The Monkeys in the Trees Reviews

49 Becklow Road, Shepherds Bush, London, England

The guy at the bar/reception (same one during the 2 days/2 nights I stayed) was really nice and helpful.The big downfall of this hostel is definitely the lack of cleanliness and the fact that it's not well taken care of. The mattress didn't properly fit on the bed so it came up on one side, no curtains around the bed, no lockers in the room. It lacks facilities to make your stay enjoyable and comfortable. You can find better places for the same price!

Lovely place but random in that some bathroom sinks didn't have Taps. Worst thing... The beds... Might as well have been made purely of springs. Covered in bruises and barely slept.

• 11th Aug 2014

The hostel has a great atmosphere with it's own bar and a common room where you can hang out, the staff is friendly. When going there, look for the pub "The Greyhound", it's the same building. The rooms are basic, breakfast great. The official wifi works poorly, ask for another one. There are no sockets or bins in the bathrooms which makes life for girls a little complicated. Located quite far from the underground so maybe not suitable for just one night but highly recommended for longer stays.

Nice hostel. Room was very messy which obviously has to do with the people but I think the lack of lockers in the room contributed (you can hire lockers though but it's not the same). Annoying having bathrooms on different levels but they were clean. Normal breakfast and nice bar downstairs. Only stayed one night so didn't get much of a feel for the vibe. Annoying it's not closer to a tube station. I walked as couldn't be bothered getting a bus and the train and it's a bit of a walk

My visit started off bad, the guy told me they didn't accept credit card despite the Hostelworld page clearly saying they did. He wouldn't let me settle in before going out to find a cash machine. This was the last thing I wanted to do as I was pretty tired from trying to find the place. The sign for the hostel is no bigger than a A4 size piece of paper on the window of the pub. It worked out in the ene but first impressions set the tone and I wasn't pleased.

Hello, Your arrival started of badly due to arriving after our Last check in time of 11pm without letting us know you would be late. We have a huge sign on the side of the hostel/pub, sorry you did not see this or prepare for your stay by printing out the map with our location. In regards to the card machine, yes we are having some problems and have taken this off the websites, we also sent you an email to advise you of this issue, so you could organize alternate payment on arrival.

Basic, but clean with a friendly atmosphere.

• 30th Jul 2014