The White Tulip Hostel Reviews

Warmoesstraat 87, Amsterdam, Netherlands

This hostel has poor air circulation. The room was very hot, smelly, and dirty. The shower, toilet, and sinks were filthy. I will NEVER stay there again! I booked the room for 3 nights, but checked out after the 1st night. This hostel is in the Red Light District, so it's very loud. On a positive note, this hostel has storage bins for your luggage, which you can be locked using your own lock.

The staff is not at all helpful with slight changes or modifications in your scheduling. We expected more based on European Hostel Standards.

Very noisy at night and hot.

Hostel needs a place where to hang out and chill with fellow travellers.

• 18th Jul 2014
  • Finland

Stayed in a four bedroom private dorm for a couple of nights. Room and facilities were satisfactory. Discounted food and drinks at the pub downstairs/next door. The guy at the reception was pretty helpful on letting us know the best places to party. The only downside to this hostel was carting luggage up and down the steep staircase.

Awesome location. Easy to find. Only problem is it is right beside a big clock tower which goes off every hour starting in the early hours of the morning. No other complaints!

This Hostel is located in the middle of the red light district. If your intentions are to stay in this area, then go for it. Downside to this hostel is revolves around it being in the district. There is a lot of noise in the area til late due to its location.

The rooms themselves are good. The rest of the building leaves ALOT to be desired. One of the bathrooms lacked a ceiling, the floors of the showers were perpetually sticky, and the staircase up was so steep and uneven it was a bit of a death trap even when one was totally sober. The biggest issue though was the staff. We were constantly being moved from bed to bed despite havering had a reservation for months. We also had a random man (who seemed to be homeless) wander in and sleep one night.

A party hostel for sure. Right next to Red Light, so noise from the streets all day long, people coming and going at all hours. I stayed in a 14 bed dorm, didn't get much sleep, but then again that's exactly what I anticipated. Bathrooms were pretty poor, dirty, shower stalls made it hard to get dressed, and you had to walk through the bathrooms to get to some of the rooms (really strange). Staff were great, but only go here if you're looking to party! If so, this is your place!

Great for exactly what we wanted, a good value for money hostel in the heart of the red light district. Met some friends there that we will defiantly keep in contact with. If you don't mind a bit of wear and tear and love meeting other travellers this is the place to stay.

• 4th Jul 2014

Dirty terrible

Unfortunely some of the people were very loud in the early hours of the morning towards the end of the week.I accept this is not the fault of the staff

• 22nd Jun 2014

We expected it be a shady place that would be absolutely disgusting based off of the reviews we read before coming. However, when we got there, it was your typical youth-aged hostel, and not half bad. The staff were so friendly, and gave us directions to a ton of places with no problem. One night, we even came back and had a 45 minute conversation with one of the receptionists. HIGHLY recommended if you're young and looking to have a good time!! I'd definitely return.

• 20th Jun 2014

The staff were rude. The owner and cleaners came into our room while we were sleeping. Excellent location. Showers were disgusting and room was bad. Would not go back and stay there.

• 16th Jun 2014

If you want a hostel that is in the MIDDLE of the red light district, this is your place. All it's good for is a place to sleep between parties and raging in Amsterdam- not a relaxing, quiet vacation. Close to many things though and the facilities were pretty good. Met some fun people.

The location was perfect if you're wanting easy access to the nightlife. The 14 bed dorm was quite nice, however the bathroom facilities were terrible. The shower cubicles were so small, there was no where to put your clothes and toiletries bag without it getting wet (or you could hang it on the outside of the door) and the bathrooms were unisex so as a female, I had to try and get dressed with my wet clothes in the tiny cubicle. No common room was a big negative. Not great value for money.

Excellent location, 10 minutes walking from central station and 5 minutes walking to the dam square. Surrounded by all what u need, food, bars and souvenir shops. A bit noisy area but this is the fun needed. Its not ur place if u need to relax, but if ur about partying, this is ur area

I made my reservations for The White Tulip and when I arrived they told me it was full and then transferred me to another hostel nearby Croydon. It seemed like making reservations and paying in advanced didn't worked. It was not as clean or as pretty but I could still sleep and take a shower. The thing is it was definitely a cheaper hostel so I basically got ripped off. There are many many hostels in Amsterdam, look further into them before making reservations in The White Tulip.

The staff were amazing! So friendly and helpful. I mentioned that i wanted to try some bitter balan (sp?) and was wondering where i could get some, they talked to the bar for me and turned out they had a shipment in, so they made me a plate, told me the traditional way to eat it and didn't charge me for it either! Fantastic!

Even though I tried to email regarding one of our team being absent, and we were put into a smaller room, we were asked to pay the full amount and sort out the problem in the morning. The problem was pushed further and further away with continued excuses. This was clearly a tactic to extract the full amount from us. In the end the place cost more than a five star hotel but with nowhere close to the facilities. I feel as though I was extorted and won't use this service again.

• 30th May 2014