The White Tulip Hostel Reviews

Warmoesstraat 87, Amsterdam, Netherlands

I wasn't expecting much from a hostel in Amsterdam. White Tulip is really a bar, with an additional business of housing upstairs. If you're just looking for a place to stay for a night or two and nothing else, this place is perfect. The security is great, as the door to get upstairs is always locked and the giant sliding lockers under the bed fit a big bag. The location is perfect, as it's in the heart of the city. There is really no atmosphere, unless you hang out in the bar. Good hostel.

The manager was very helpful and tried to accommodate us after the first nights complaints but there was not much he could do. We heard rats at night and while the rooms were cleaned daily the facilities were a bit overused. There is construction under way so they might improve on this in the near future. The noise level was a bit of a problem as the hostel IS in the red light district and the partying does not stop till 6 in the morning. The room mates were not particularly worried about noise.

• 15th Oct 2013

The church bell rings every 15 minutos from 7am on, the hostel was under remodelation and the construction work started at 7:30, basically hammering besides my door, staff was very unhelpfull and didn't warn us about anything, rooms are too small, basically room for 2 beds and your luggage and thats it.

Rooms were horrific, no common area, the staff werent very helpful, moved hostels after 1 night. I award this hostel no points and may god have mercy on this hostels soul and no one should ever stay here!

• 6th Oct 2013

The location is really great, but the room is not clean (without room service!) You can get free clean towels,which is really good, but the smell of the hostel room is not good due to the lack of cleaniness. It does have a really good Irish pub with discount and the staff was very helpful sugesting a good parking with cheap price in amsterdam (parking in amsterdam cost a lot)

• 3rd Oct 2013

Fine hostel if you want to explore city/ not stay in room the whole time- it's the cheapest in Amsterdam, you get what you pay for.

There was mold growing on the floor, bathrooms were disgusting, they made us move rooms without telling us and just threw our stuff off our beds and onto ground. Very small. Good location, right next next to RLD. They overbooked and turned people away who had reservations as well. Doing renovations at the moment so also very loud.

At first when I got to the reception I tought that it will be a creepy hostel but the true is that the bedrooms and bathrooms have a lot of space and are very clean. The hoste has a great location only a few meters to the Dam saquare and is also located at the perimeter of the red district. Having a pub downstairsl is a great deal if you want to chill out a little bit.

Not smoker friendly in Warmoestraat!!

• 18th Sep 2013
  • Turkey

Location is good but cleanliness is very very bad..

• 17th Sep 2013
  • Turkey

Location is very noisy due to proximity to red light district, church and renovations. Renovations where ongoing just outside dorm room. Unsafe amounts of debris, brick dust etc being carried into dorm rooms. Unable to sleep on the last night due to bed being full of grit and breathing difficulties, needed to find alternative accommodation. Staff not helpful in this matter.

• 14th Sep 2013

A few of the staff were great but one in particular was terrible. We had construction going on just outside our dorm area starting at 7am. Awful. Very limited space for socializing and more than enough transient people stuffed into small rooms. It costed me over 150 US dollars for sub par accommodations for 3 nights. Never again.

Had the best stay, friendliest staff! The guys at the Irish bar were awesome too :) All the basic stuff you'd expect in a hostel.. Onlyyyy thing is the ceilings are quite low in the rooms, smashed my head every morning as I was on the top bunk! You should stay here ;)

Stayed 3 nights and had the best time here!! nice little bar downstairs, roll out lockers under the beds and electronic room keys to keep it safe... the stairs become a problem once coming home after a night out but its funny.. had an awesome time here party to the early hours and met some awesome people!! great location.. only thing that sucked were those church bells in the morning...

Mice, renovations being done so dust everywhere, people in rooms smoking not kicked out or reprimanded. Only half the beds had lock boxes.

• 6th Sep 2013

Great rooms, great location and very cheap in comparison to surrounding hostels

My friend recommended this place to me and I'll recommend it to others. Right next to the red light and 5 min from central station. Had every thing u need from a hostel !

very run down, had to walk four flights of stairs to get to our room. there were at least two mice in the room which were there from day 1

Staff were nice, talkative and willing to help. I didn't have a problem finding people to talk to and the location was great. It's a stones throw from the red light district and a 2 min walk from the main stretch.

• 2nd Sep 2013
  • Scotland

The White Tulip hostel has a big problem with security. We have been robbed, from room was taken camera and tablet. I am almost sure that everything was planned. I don't want to blame the staff, but I think robbers had a tip. We just came to room after walking and left to Irish pub downstairs for a beer. In half an hour we were back - shorter of camera and tablet. Very disappointing.

• 29th Aug 2013