West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

The majority of the cubicle doors in the male bathrooms had broken locks. The showers had poor water pressure and generally only one temperature - either hot or cold. I was very disappointed in the bathrooms. However, they were clean which was good. The bedrooms were nice and also clean.

• 26th Dec 2014

Our floor (Level 11) had 50+ rooms on it with 1 shared male bathroom containing 3x showers, 3x toilets and 3x urinals. This is not enough for all the people on the floor. On top of that the bathroom was always filthy (probably because the volume of people using it).

Don't stay here if your traveling alone as no one wants to engage in conversation people are sleeping in the common room stayed at the YMCA over Christmas so can't complain too much as prices are inflated around that time everywhere. Another big one was that there was no kitchen so eating out every night.

Staffs are not friendly nor kind at all, bathrooms and shower rooms are inconvenient for using and they are dirty and old. The room was super cold so that I caught a cold. No chair in the room, and when I asked for a chair the staff said very unkindly that they don't provide chairs. The bed was very unstable so when I sat on the bed, it once almost fell down. I will never stay here again!

• 23rd Dec 2014
  • South Korea

I spent a night in the private deluxe on the 13th floor and it was a good experience. The bathrooms on the floor were clean since there are housekeepers which clean them several times per day. The room and the mattress were good.

LOCATION.LOCATION< LOCATION! Bang for the BUCK!

good located, staff isn't friendly bu haven't been much at the hostel except for sleeping and shower.

• 13th Dec 2014
  • Argentina

Great location with good amenities but the atmosphere here is terrible. No events or common room or kitchen to meet travelers. Would only stay here if your with other people otherwise single travellers won't meet anybody.

Stayed in the private twin bunk bed room. Room was what you'd expect for the price. Not sparkling clean but not dirty. The bed were comfy enough. Had a little TV to watch whilst getting ready. Only negative I can really say is the showers were the best. No real shower head more like a single spray of of a hose. It was often hot and cold, sometime freezing cold. The location of this hostel for me is fantastic. Few blocks from Columbus circle and the subway. great place would stay again!!!

• 11th Dec 2014

The rule of using bathroom is very confusing. And 11th floor's shower didn't give me warm water. So, I tried to use 12th or 13 rd bathroom, but I couldn't open the door. Please show us clear information.

• 9th Dec 2014
  • Japan

The rooms were fine but the location was great. Enjoyed our stay.

I felt very safe being alone in NYC, but the motion sensor light in my room kept waking me up during the night!

Definitely would stay here again! So different from a typical hostel, you don't get a hostel vibe. It's just like having your own dorm room. The shared bathrooms get messy in the Am. Cleaners come and sort this asap. TV, bed, closet, drawls; amazing for a hostel. It gets a bit cold during the night, so just turn on the heater..Or bring an extra blanket. Still amazing for the price you pay, access to the gym was great, location is amazing, waking up to Central Park EPIC! Very close to Metro.

the location is worth every penny!

• 27th Nov 2014

Excellent location and great price.

The staff never answer the phone, and the lady who works at nigh is really rude.

The ubication is the best, I dont believe that any other hostal is better than this one.

This hostel was the best place I could have chosen to stay for our trip to N.Y. The location was fantastic, price could not have been beat, and the rooms were clean. We stayed on the 9th floor. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to spend their money on other things besides the cost of a hotel.

• 19th Nov 2014

This YMCA boasts, among other things, a wonderfully equipped gym. If only they would renovate the communal showers and toilets on the guests floors... These are old, grubby-looking and often not very clean. Some toilet doors are jammed, others don't close. In the 2 days we stayed here, we met with a couple of haggard-looking bums in the shared bathroom that I'm quite sure weren't staying at the Y. To sum up: great potential, lost on poorly kept and secured common bathrooms.

The staff on the front desk were extremely rude and not helpful with a problem I had at the time. Employees need to have better customer service skills

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4