West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

I really enjoyed my stay here, but I wish I could have used the pool. They should add a hut tub too. Well worth it Highly recommend!

• 17th Apr 2015

Fabulous!! Great location, great staff, you are able to use de club, pretty clean and quiet. I stood on 12th floor it was everything OK. The bathroom had no lines, clean, warm shower. No problems. I definitely recommend.

• 3rd Apr 2015

The hostel is clean and in a very good location. However it really has a big college dorm feel where there are loads of rooms, people go in and out and nobody really hangs out in common areas. There's no community feel you get in the good hostels. Also it was very pricey for a hostel but i guess that's NYC for you. Recommend it if you just want a place to sleep in a good location. didn't try the gym so can't comment on that. Printing and bag storage facilities very well done (but nothing is free

The West Side YMCA was a little far from the Times Square Area. The room rates for us were over $100 and quite high for the value of the room. The staff were very unprofessional. The rooms were moderately clean but SO WARM as to be uncomfortable. It was not a traditional hostel atmosphere because the rooms were separated and the common space was on the main level.

I've stayed at the Y several times, and my only suggestion would be to have staff wandering the guestroom floors in the late evening hours to help reenforce the 11 pm quiet time. On my last two visits, guests from school groups were running up and down the halls, yelling at each other, and partying well into the early morning hours. I'd also suggest that some sort of cushioning or rubber pads be applied in all the door frames...between the guest rooms and baths, doors are constantly slamming.

• 24th Mar 2015

Whenever I meet someone who will be staying in New York City, I tell them about West Side YMCA. I was quoting a price I had been paying there last year, $100/night; they thought that was surprisingly low. This year, I was surprised to find it was only around $75 a night, a great bargain! I even pass this information on to NYC yellow cab drivers, in case they have other fares looking for a decent place to stay at an affordable price. It's the best deal in NYC - except reservations required!

• 22nd Mar 2015

Great rooms, great location, great price!

I was in room 849 and quickly noticed that my window led directly out to a partial roof which was also accessible from the other rooms on that side on the 8th floor. This was a bit troubling to me as I slept and realized anyone could get to that roof from those room and simply open my window from the outside, easily slipping into my room (whether there or not). I think the possibility of this scenario taking place is worth looking into and addressing. Mostly concerned with inebriated guests....

• 8th Mar 2015

The men's restroom is so small. There is very little room between the sinks and the shower stalls. The fitness center could use some Nautilus machines. Everything is free weights which can be dangerous for older clients.

• 5th Mar 2015

Excellent price. Good location. No real party vibe though but NYC not really known for your typical hostels. Not far from subway, Central Park, Times Square and easy to get cabs.

Had a horrible encounter with which may have been the head of security, he was plain right rude, and not helpful at all. Going out of his way to make my time harder. There was no atmosphere what's so ever, and had old men walking around the corridors at night, whom were permanent residents, making me feel uncomfortable. I would never stay there again, and wouldn't recommend it.

One of the worst beds i've ever slept in - also had a loud noise coming from outside all night. On a positive note - location and facilities were great.

The majority of the cubicle doors in the male bathrooms had broken locks. The showers had poor water pressure and generally only one temperature - either hot or cold. I was very disappointed in the bathrooms. However, they were clean which was good. The bedrooms were nice and also clean.

• 26th Dec 2014

Our floor (Level 11) had 50+ rooms on it with 1 shared male bathroom containing 3x showers, 3x toilets and 3x urinals. This is not enough for all the people on the floor. On top of that the bathroom was always filthy (probably because the volume of people using it).

Don't stay here if your traveling alone as no one wants to engage in conversation people are sleeping in the common room stayed at the YMCA over Christmas so can't complain too much as prices are inflated around that time everywhere. Another big one was that there was no kitchen so eating out every night.

Staffs are not friendly nor kind at all, bathrooms and shower rooms are inconvenient for using and they are dirty and old. The room was super cold so that I caught a cold. No chair in the room, and when I asked for a chair the staff said very unkindly that they don't provide chairs. The bed was very unstable so when I sat on the bed, it once almost fell down. I will never stay here again!

• 23rd Dec 2014
  • South Korea

I spent a night in the private deluxe on the 13th floor and it was a good experience. The bathrooms on the floor were clean since there are housekeepers which clean them several times per day. The room and the mattress were good.

LOCATION.LOCATION< LOCATION! Bang for the BUCK!

good located, staff isn't friendly bu haven't been much at the hostel except for sleeping and shower.

• 13th Dec 2014
  • Argentina

Great location with good amenities but the atmosphere here is terrible. No events or common room or kitchen to meet travelers. Would only stay here if your with other people otherwise single travellers won't meet anybody.

« first « Prev 1 2 3