West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, New York, USA

Barebones private room, but awesome location right next to Central Park. Cost includes access to the gym. Clean and friendly staff.

The location is ideal for visiting Manhattan. Also, since last year, there has been some up-dating. The television in the room was very nice. While the room itself was a bit Spartan, when I visit New York, I have a long list of things I want to see. So I really have minimal interest in spending time in the hotel room except to sleep. The YMCA is a most practical base for my visit to New York.

• 3rd Apr 2014

Hello; I had no real problem with the accomodations and the cost was good. I do need to inquire next time, though, about a room that connects to a shared one person bathroom. The last time I stayed I did have taht arrangement and must remember to inquire about that option in the furure. You might want to check on the room I was in. There was a hole in the window piece for the air conditioner and the coverplate for the radiator was broken. Othe than that, I will choose this option again.

• 3rd Apr 2014

It is in a great location. The rooms and bathrooms are not in the best conditions.

• 2nd Apr 2014
  • Colombia

In our level was a new renovated bathroom, this was great. Our floor in the room was very sticky at the beginning. We asked the cleaner to wipe the floor again. There was also no grid at the top bed - a little bit dangerous to sleep on the top bed.

Congratulate the staff, they were very friendly and helpful. Most of the time I spent there (3 nights) there was no hand soup in the restroom on floor 11. Matresses are in poor condition, maybe not all of them. It would be more confortable if you can provide rooms with a small freezer and a microwave. Price is good, I like the fact to open your room with electronic key to provide more security. It is well located, good thing you have wi-fi included. Overall, I liked it. Thank you!

• 29th Mar 2014
  • Mexico

The security staff was unfriendly to us as we wanted to get stuff from our room with a friend, also requested both room cards as we came back at night, even tho we just needed one when we went out bc we were together all the time and no one told is before. So they called is liars etc. not nice manners!!!

• 28th Mar 2014

Everything was fine, except for the fact that the television in my room did not work. I was told that none of the televisions in guest rooms were working and had not been for about a week. Not good.

• 28th Mar 2014

The room was small and simple, and clean. It had everything I needed; a bed, a televison, a lamp, and a chest of drawers. The restrooms were clean. It seemed to be reasonably secure - I didn't have any problems. The staff was willing to answere questions and give directions.

i had a very plesent time in the ymca.i enj. oid the best location, the polite and efficient staff, the clean room and bathroom and the vivid atmospher.send my special thanks to Dorothy!

• 24th Mar 2014
  • Israel

The private rooms look like jail. bed has wheels underneath which you can't block. The bathroom for the ladies has only 3 showers and you have to queue for the shower. There are no places to store your underwear or anything and the shower cabin was dirty.

• 24th Mar 2014

location reasonable 15-20 mins walk to times square - 5 mins walk to columbus metro - when entering property looks nice and clean. once you walk out the lift you see the reality of your stay. I suppose its a hostal what can you expect however rooms are tiny, 2 out of 3 taps in the bathroom were not working in the ladies during the whole week, everything was cleaned but it just looked filthy as everything seems to be ancient. felt like staying in a prison.bathrooms have 0 privacy.

• 19th Mar 2014
  • Turkey

In our only night there, the fire alarm rang at 2 in the morning. It wans't something serious, I think one fan had some problem and was making smoke and the alarm got it. Everything was really fast, but really secury. The fire department arrived really fast. Besides that, great experience!

This hostel is one of worst I have ever been, bathroom was disgusting shared with all the floor. My room was really tiny, We just has space to put our luggage, there was no curtains. The price is really high compare to what this hostel offers. Only the location is significant.

• 7th Mar 2014

Worst experience in a hostel I have ever had in my entire life, and I have travelled the globe. Staff wasn't helpful at all, it always seemed like we were bothering them and they weren't even on the same page with one another. They charged us for every little thing (they even charged us an extra dollar for storing a pillow with our bags). No atmosphere at all, the rooms look like jail cells. Don't go there.

• 4th Mar 2014

The 9th floor rooms were like prison cells.$85 per night is not much I admit for New York, but for $20 more per night I had a comfortable private room with bathroom next to Penn station. The Y room was in a word, depressing. Never again, sorry.

• 22nd Jan 2014

Location was ideal, however the rooms were quite outdated, with very uncomfortable beds. It lacked in facilities such as a kitchen, which you would find in other hostels for a cheaper price

• 8th Jan 2014

This is a better way to stay in near-train spots of Manhattan where all things are expensive. The reception guy asked me to show room card when I tried to get into the elevator area, which means they have good security. The bed has wheels under the legs and it's a little slippery when I turns over, but it's not a big deal when I'm sleeping.

Restroom was not clean. Lounge is very cool. Food facilities with health food choises was great.

• 1st Jan 2014

The most spartan, cold, expensive lodging I have experienced in a long time.

• 1st Jan 2014