West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

Shared bathrooms need to be cleaned more often.

If only money counts, this is definitely the place to go. Location is wonderful. However, bed was bouncing, mattress was really too smooth, shower places did not have enough hiding one from each other, staff cleaned the bathroom while you are taking a shower (in a place that is not well covered).

Since the YMCA West Side is not a hostel why not have mini refrigerators in the rooms? Just keep them turned off until they are occupied. The 13th floor looked super depressing, and so was the room color. Why not use (http://www.dailyinfographic.com/the-psychology-of-colors-infographic) to make your guests more relaxed in there rooms? A little color will go a long way.

Nice place to stay at when visiting New York. Compare to other hostel the price is OK to be in New York. Good location and there are a lot of things to do at the hostel like gym, swimming pool, and much more. As a backpacker I didn't use these facilities.. What i was missing was a kitchen. The staff where OK. I would love if they where more helpful. I asked the best way to get to the airport from there and the guard said taxi or Google it. That was a kind of annoying answer.

It was good although I wish it was cheaper. $ 90 was a lot especially since the sheets could be cleaner and since housekeeping only included changing linen and not cleaning the room. Staff was very friendly and cordial and the location was perfect. But it was way too expensive especially for a longer stay !

• 26th Jun 2015
  • India

Overcharged me but refunded when I showed them the mistake . On the whole a pretty good place to stay opposite Central Park. No cooking facilities.

• 24th Jun 2015

Firstly our room smelt poorly(imagine week old Doritos) and when asked staff were unable to help, when our room was cleaned out sheets were not always cleaned and had stains, during a trial evacuation the lifts were disabled and a cleaning cart was blocking the fire stairs. One day we didn't get any towels and had to ask security for them as reception was closed. The air conditioner in our room barely worked and there was no airflow in our room.

• 20th Jun 2015

the staff was rude. The housekeeping was poor( only go 3 times in 5 days) the security very rude as well! The shower only 2 available on my floor, the vendor machines on the floor was damage.

• Puerto Rico

Half of the restrooms are likely to be unstable or broken...

• 20th Jun 2015

The location of the hostel is excelent. Near a subway station and Broadway avenue. perfect for those who want to explore New York City at its best. The staff wan't that great, though. Not very friendly, and the cleaning people did a lot of noise in the morningi n the corridors. The men's bathroom was oftenly closed for cleaning, forcing me to go to other floors to take a shower. And when it was available, more then once, the toilet was in extremely bad conditions.

My first impression of the room was that it was very spartan, with basic furniture and a bit of space to store your stuff. Decorations of any kind were non-existent, but for a mirror and a TV. In any case, the room fulfilled its purpose. The people at YMCA were generally nice and helpful, and the place felt safe. The room, corridors and bathrooms were clean enough. Location was great, next to Central Park and close to the Subway. A bit expensive for a hostel but still cheaper than most hotels!

• 18th Jun 2015
  • Spain

Dear Sir or Madam, We reserved Deluxe twin private shared bath room two beds for two night, total is 236.00 $ and deposit 30.32$ on 13th and 14th, Jun 2015. it clear showed and I only should pay 207.68$ when I arrived. But when I arrived at West Side YMCA, 5 West 63rd St.N.Y.10023, New York. The staff told me it is only for one person, I should cancel it and reorder another one room and charge me 280$. It means I spend 72.32$ more for that! Please gave me a explain! Best Xingwang

• 13th Jun 2015
  • China

Great place to stay, across the road from central park and easy to walk to places such as times square. The hostel was super clean and there always seemed to be a cleaner on our floor (13th). Not a place to stay if you want to meet other travellers but perfect if youre wanting to travel solo or in a pair. Would stay again :).

Affordable stay in the centre of NYC, clean rooms, kind staff and safe rooms. Just the wifi didn't work when I was there, which was minor, yet still uncomfort... :)

Loved it! Will stay there again, good value

• 4th Jun 2015

Cheap basic accommodation, great location, easy access via subway, felt safe the whole time I was there.

• 3rd Jun 2015

Probably the most evident limit of this accomodation is the extremely limited number of toilets, sinks and showers. Another limit is the fact that at our stage and I believe at other stage as well the clenaing of the baths start at 8.30!!!!!! this absoultely ridicolus since the majority of the guest will need the bathroom exactely in the morning around 8.00

I loved staying at the YMCA! The facilities were clean, the room and bathroom were more than adequate. Good atmosphere, and I felt safe staying there. Located in a great area, and perfect for us as we were getting in super late. There was a security guard at the front who was helpful, and we were very relieved and happy that our late arrival didn't negatively impact our being able to get into our room that night. Would definitely stay again.

• 22nd May 2015

Good place, felt secure, very clean, staff were very helpful, good location. The guy in the kitchen in the mornings was a real character making a great start to the day for everybody. Will recommend it.

The gym was amazing!