West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

LOCATION.LOCATION< LOCATION! Bang for the BUCK!

Great location with good amenities but the atmosphere here is terrible. No events or common room or kitchen to meet travelers. Would only stay here if your with other people otherwise single travellers won't meet anybody.

Stayed in the private twin bunk bed room. Room was what you'd expect for the price. Not sparkling clean but not dirty. The bed were comfy enough. Had a little TV to watch whilst getting ready. Only negative I can really say is the showers were the best. No real shower head more like a single spray of of a hose. It was often hot and cold, sometime freezing cold. The location of this hostel for me is fantastic. Few blocks from Columbus circle and the subway. great place would stay again!!!

• 11th Dec 2014

The rule of using bathroom is very confusing. And 11th floor's shower didn't give me warm water. So, I tried to use 12th or 13 rd bathroom, but I couldn't open the door. Please show us clear information.

• 9th Dec 2014
  • Japan

The rooms were fine but the location was great. Enjoyed our stay.

I felt very safe being alone in NYC, but the motion sensor light in my room kept waking me up during the night!

Definitely would stay here again! So different from a typical hostel, you don't get a hostel vibe. It's just like having your own dorm room. The shared bathrooms get messy in the Am. Cleaners come and sort this asap. TV, bed, closet, drawls; amazing for a hostel. It gets a bit cold during the night, so just turn on the heater..Or bring an extra blanket. Still amazing for the price you pay, access to the gym was great, location is amazing, waking up to Central Park EPIC! Very close to Metro.

the location is worth every penny!

• 27th Nov 2014

Excellent location and great price.

The staff never answer the phone, and the lady who works at nigh is really rude.

The ubication is the best, I dont believe that any other hostal is better than this one.

This hostel was the best place I could have chosen to stay for our trip to N.Y. The location was fantastic, price could not have been beat, and the rooms were clean. We stayed on the 9th floor. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to spend their money on other things besides the cost of a hotel.

• 19th Nov 2014

This YMCA boasts, among other things, a wonderfully equipped gym. If only they would renovate the communal showers and toilets on the guests floors... These are old, grubby-looking and often not very clean. Some toilet doors are jammed, others don't close. In the 2 days we stayed here, we met with a couple of haggard-looking bums in the shared bathroom that I'm quite sure weren't staying at the Y. To sum up: great potential, lost on poorly kept and secured common bathrooms.

The staff on the front desk were extremely rude and not helpful with a problem I had at the time. Employees need to have better customer service skills

This was my 4th stay at the Westside Y and things have really improved since my first visit. The rooms on the 13th floor are nice and bright and the bathrooms were kept clean at all times. I took a look at the 8th floor and it seems they have not gotten the renovations done there yet. You can't beat this place for location and the price is great for NYC.

• 12th Nov 2014

We were forced to check out one day earlier even though we paid the remaining night, telling us that if we do not pay another night they will not allow us to gather our stuff from the room. After a lot of discussion we were allowed to stay but this behavior can neither be called friendly nor service oriented. Also at our arrival the hostel did not have our booking confirmation.

• 11th Nov 2014

Mattress could be more comfortable. too firm and a bit lumpy

• 10th Nov 2014

Will recommend this place to people that look for a cheap, clean and safe room in a good NYC location. -Nothing more, nothing less!

• 8th Nov 2014
  • Norway

Easily the worst hostel of a three month trip...you will feel every spring in your back while you sleep not to mention the bed was curved to make falling off the top bunk easier. No safe or sink in the room, you will be sharing the bathroom with maybe 30 or more other rooms (so potentially 60 or more people). The bathrooms had no locks on toilet doors and three showers which ran hot cold hot cold no matter how you position the leaver. Also no where to put your belongings while having a shower.

I always enjoy staying at the West Side YMCA when I visit New York City to study percussion instruments at the Manhattan School of Music. The staff is friendly and efficient, the rooms are clean and quiet and the location on West 63rd Street is ideal. In addition, guests are welcome to use the Y's world-class athletic facilities, including the swimming pool.

• 6th Nov 2014