West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

I booked the hotel in the official website. Then 14% of hotel fee was charged in the credit card. The question is : when i left the hotel, my bill just showed the rest 86% of hotel. could you send me the bill showing 100% cost charged? ($113). Thanks.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • China

the bathroom situation is a disgrace. One small bathroom for probably around 50-60 rooms. The bathroom is FILTHY. The place is OK for an overnight stay if you use restrooms at a restaurant and skip the shower. (I stayed there several times before where things were much cleaner. But this is unacceptable this is a developed country...

As we were travelling by bike, we would have appreciate to be able to put them in a safe storage inside the YMCA. Otherwise, everything was ok.

• 19th Jun 2014

This was my second time staying in this hostel. The room was better than last time. It's getting better and better! NY is a very expensive city for students, so choosing a cheap and convenient hostel is very important. I was so happy when I lived in Westside YMCA. The location is perfect, I realized that it's just beside Lincoln centre, and a very fancy movie theatre, of course tons of bars, it means you will have a wonderful night when you finish the sightseeing at daytime! I will come back!

Great location, aprox 5 minutes from Times Square and opposite Central Park. The showers are not very private, leaving barely a cover for the person using them. However, as you're in NY, it won't matter, rather it's just a place to sleep.

The sheets and towers was very clean, toilets as well. The only bad thing I noticed, staying 20 days, that my room's floor was never swept :(

• 12th Jun 2014

Staff - Some were ridiculoulsy amazing and helpful, others just there doing their job. Atmosphere - If you are looking for a fun cool friendly place to hang out, this isn't it. Facilities - Fantastic, couldn't beleive the room rate included full use of the gyms and pools etc. Cleanliness - Showers are hit and miss like anywhere really... sometimes spotless soemtimes a bit gross I had initally planned on staying one night... I stayed two weeks. That's says something.

• 11th Jun 2014

This was my first time staying at a hostel and being in NY! Was a great first experience. The rooms were clean and nicely arranged. I stayed in a private double with my friend. The bunks were fine and enough room for both of us to move around in the room. The lounge is really cute and has a great atmosphere. Location was perfect. half a block to Central park. Columbus circle just a short walk away. If in NY again will stay here again :)

• 11th Jun 2014

men's room needs a little more clean

• Russia

Overall this is a fantastic hostel in a fantastic location. I didn't feel it had much of a vibe but i was staying in a private room so that is to be expected. Only negative is that despite having do not disturb on my room door, the maids still went in. That was my only crticism, otherwise clean bathrooms, awesome location and heaps of on-site facilities

Too much noise, the reception explained that it was due to the air conditioner. I couldn´t sleep any day, terrible!

• 6th Jun 2014

After looking at previous reviews, I wasn't sure about my choice. However, when I got to my private room on the reno'd floor, I was surprised. The bathroom (despite having one temp 'boil you like an egg' showers) was clean, my room had a desk, mirror, a decent TV and luggage space. The atmosphere isn't great, it's not like a true hostel, but it's the location you pay for - you can get anywhere from the two nearby metro stations. Being in bed felt a bit like being wrapped in clingfilm though...

• 6th Jun 2014

Building is very old. Staff could be more customer-oriented and sould be in a better mood.

• 5th Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

Only stopped one night but found the staff to be poor. The complex is too big an not suited too backpackers. No kitchen, no where near enough showers or toilets and those that were there were closed for cleaning between 8 and 9 when people wanted to use them.

Best location in NYC, very convenient public transportations, only 5 mins to the subway. It's not expensive as this price in NY. Very safe, security checked everyone when you wanna enter in. The only problem is the air conditional, it's too loud to sleep well, I have to turn it off. But fortunately, this building is not too hot for sleeping. I think I will choose this again.

• 31st May 2014

The women restroom wasn't very clean

• 31st May 2014

Housekeeping staff were in the hallway and loud through the entire morning. Having got in late at night after a long journey, it would have been nice to have some quiet. When I left my room at 11 am -- my check out time, they called out after me in Spanish, that the "Faggot is finally awake."

• 29th May 2014

Can be better, restrooms need to be improved!

The hotel is located just near 59th Street Colombus Tube Station which will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go. The bathrooms are more than enough and the hostel in general is very clean.