West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

No good for those looking into meeting other travellers, they charge you to store your bags in a room that is not even locked..2 bucks per bag They provide you with clean towels everyday which is nice...but toilets and showers are small

Staff wasn' t helpful. They dont want give you any information abaut the hostel and the city. In the bathroom was mess all the time.

If its about location, this place is for you. It's walking distance from the best nyc has to offer, including Central Park, Times Square, the subway, and many museums. You won't beat the value for the location. I had one issue with the air conditioner and let the staff know, and after leaving sight seeing for the day, when I returned my room had a new ac unit. Also of course you'll have access to the gym and pool area, but I was so busy sight seeing I didn't have time to try them out.

• 25th Jun 2014

Excellent location for the price! 3 blocks away from Columbus Circle with access to subway stations only a minutes away. Facilities are modern and clean. I am certainly returning...

• 24th Jun 2014

The hostel itself is very good. I stayed at a private room and having A/C, cable tv and linens included made it a good deal. I believe the thing that you must improve the most is the staff attitude: some of them don't even look at your face when you ask something which I find EXTREMELY disrespectful. They don't seem service oriented and come out like unhelpful. The little shop and the vending machine are great. ps.: The shower near the door on the men bathroom (11th floor) needs to be fixed.

Facilities were average the accommodation none. The room had TV but behind the Rolling bed and that made it hard to get comfortable.

Thank you for this great opportunity just to let you know that I eally enyojed my staying at YMCA and I hope to visit you and sharing mi friendship with all of you. GOD bless you.

• Peru

Great location! Room was clean but beds were not that comfortable. AC and TV worked so that was a big plus. No remote control though so had to get up every time i wanted to change the channel. asked front desk, they said they didnt have controls. No room in showers to put things so it makes it really hard, plus theres absolutely no privacy except the door that is semi covered. I would stay there again only based on the good location.

• 21st Jun 2014

I booked the hotel in the official website. Then 14% of hotel fee was charged in the credit card. The question is : when i left the hotel, my bill just showed the rest 86% of hotel. could you send me the bill showing 100% cost charged? ($113). Thanks.

• China

the bathroom situation is a disgrace. One small bathroom for probably around 50-60 rooms. The bathroom is FILTHY. The place is OK for an overnight stay if you use restrooms at a restaurant and skip the shower. (I stayed there several times before where things were much cleaner. But this is unacceptable this is a developed country...

As we were travelling by bike, we would have appreciate to be able to put them in a safe storage inside the YMCA. Otherwise, everything was ok.

• 19th Jun 2014

This was my second time staying in this hostel. The room was better than last time. It's getting better and better! NY is a very expensive city for students, so choosing a cheap and convenient hostel is very important. I was so happy when I lived in Westside YMCA. The location is perfect, I realized that it's just beside Lincoln centre, and a very fancy movie theatre, of course tons of bars, it means you will have a wonderful night when you finish the sightseeing at daytime! I will come back!

Great location, aprox 5 minutes from Times Square and opposite Central Park. The showers are not very private, leaving barely a cover for the person using them. However, as you're in NY, it won't matter, rather it's just a place to sleep.

The sheets and towers was very clean, toilets as well. The only bad thing I noticed, staying 20 days, that my room's floor was never swept :(

• 12th Jun 2014

Staff - Some were ridiculoulsy amazing and helpful, others just there doing their job. Atmosphere - If you are looking for a fun cool friendly place to hang out, this isn't it. Facilities - Fantastic, couldn't beleive the room rate included full use of the gyms and pools etc. Cleanliness - Showers are hit and miss like anywhere really... sometimes spotless soemtimes a bit gross I had initally planned on staying one night... I stayed two weeks. That's says something.

• 11th Jun 2014

This was my first time staying at a hostel and being in NY! Was a great first experience. The rooms were clean and nicely arranged. I stayed in a private double with my friend. The bunks were fine and enough room for both of us to move around in the room. The lounge is really cute and has a great atmosphere. Location was perfect. half a block to Central park. Columbus circle just a short walk away. If in NY again will stay here again :)

• 11th Jun 2014

men's room needs a little more clean

• Russia

Overall this is a fantastic hostel in a fantastic location. I didn't feel it had much of a vibe but i was staying in a private room so that is to be expected. Only negative is that despite having do not disturb on my room door, the maids still went in. That was my only crticism, otherwise clean bathrooms, awesome location and heaps of on-site facilities

Too much noise, the reception explained that it was due to the air conditioner. I couldn´t sleep any day, terrible!

• 6th Jun 2014

After looking at previous reviews, I wasn't sure about my choice. However, when I got to my private room on the reno'd floor, I was surprised. The bathroom (despite having one temp 'boil you like an egg' showers) was clean, my room had a desk, mirror, a decent TV and luggage space. The atmosphere isn't great, it's not like a true hostel, but it's the location you pay for - you can get anywhere from the two nearby metro stations. Being in bed felt a bit like being wrapped in clingfilm though...

• 6th Jun 2014