West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

the Manager was totally ignorant, I called him to tell him some thing he should have appreciated, and in return he called police and threw me out. Even the Police Office said you Manager was lacking in mental ability Sincerely, Russell Kent Phone 570 325 5889 ,

• 22nd Apr 2014

It was a pretty cool place to stay at. I wouldn't mind if you had a little breakfast included. Book here now! It's a place for young people, though.

• 19th Apr 2014
  • Mexico

Hostel in great location. The rooms were small and very simple. Few bathrooms to share, just 3 bathrooms per floor. But the price is very good.

We were expecting something worse that what it was after reading all the reviews. There weren't enough showers/toilets for all the floor (only 3). The water in the showers had to be either boiling or extra boiling. The cleaning in the rooms wasn't that bad, but the showers could have used a good cleaning. But overall, it wasn't too bad, it's NYC, for that price it's what you get.

This is my second stay to the west side YMCA and I always enjoy my stay there. The only thing I would have to comment on is the 9th floor and its bathroom which seems old and not really nice to use. I hope they are going to renovate it as it is in the 11th floor.

• 18th Apr 2014

WORST STAY EVER. We were given a room with a double bed (despite booking one with twin beds). Next day, we were given keys to an EMPTY room, then to a room with a SINGLE bed with the promise to get a second room later. Apparently, we didn't come back early enough and they thought were werent coming back cause THEY GAVE THE ROOM AWAY AND I HAD TO SLEEP ON THE FLOOR. Next day, I demanded a refund and the room I initially booked, which I got, but WE WASTED SO MUCH TIME because of them. NEVER AGAIN.

Excellent facilities, great location, and good value for money for New York. Overall very happy

From the first interaction with the staff to the last, everyone was pleasant and professional. Two concerns: the bed was rock hard and the evacuation map on the back of the door was not current (location of my room was not on the map). However, these included, the stay was

• 14th Apr 2014

The only thing "good" about the hostel was the location. There're 2 subway stations near the hostel and Central Park is just around the corner. The worst thing was the cleanliness, it was null. The corridor and the room smelled terribly bad. The male restroom was 90% of the time dirty; there were no hand soap or disposable towel, and sometimes even toilet paper (I stayed for the week, so it wasn’t just for 2 or 3 days). The mattress was as comfortable as a box of old springs. Dont stay here.

Very dirty, one of the mattresses was broken and we couldn't get a replacement, had to share a bed.

This hostel is fine if all you want is literally somewhere to sleep. Do be aware though that is you want somewhere social, this is not the place for you. We had a twin room with a shared bathroom, and the ladies had only 3 showers- there was a ridiculous queue everyday to have a shower, even if you got up extra early. The room was fine, but 2 chairs would be better in the twin room- the lower bunk of the bed is so low you can't sit up. The location is good right at the south end of Central Park.

Barebones private room, but awesome location right next to Central Park. Cost includes access to the gym. Clean and friendly staff.

The location is ideal for visiting Manhattan. Also, since last year, there has been some up-dating. The television in the room was very nice. While the room itself was a bit Spartan, when I visit New York, I have a long list of things I want to see. So I really have minimal interest in spending time in the hotel room except to sleep. The YMCA is a most practical base for my visit to New York.

• 3rd Apr 2014

Hello; I had no real problem with the accomodations and the cost was good. I do need to inquire next time, though, about a room that connects to a shared one person bathroom. The last time I stayed I did have taht arrangement and must remember to inquire about that option in the furure. You might want to check on the room I was in. There was a hole in the window piece for the air conditioner and the coverplate for the radiator was broken. Othe than that, I will choose this option again.

• 3rd Apr 2014

It is in a great location. The rooms and bathrooms are not in the best conditions.

• 2nd Apr 2014
  • Colombia

In our level was a new renovated bathroom, this was great. Our floor in the room was very sticky at the beginning. We asked the cleaner to wipe the floor again. There was also no grid at the top bed - a little bit dangerous to sleep on the top bed.

Congratulate the staff, they were very friendly and helpful. Most of the time I spent there (3 nights) there was no hand soup in the restroom on floor 11. Matresses are in poor condition, maybe not all of them. It would be more confortable if you can provide rooms with a small freezer and a microwave. Price is good, I like the fact to open your room with electronic key to provide more security. It is well located, good thing you have wi-fi included. Overall, I liked it. Thank you!

• 29th Mar 2014
  • Mexico

The security staff was unfriendly to us as we wanted to get stuff from our room with a friend, also requested both room cards as we came back at night, even tho we just needed one when we went out bc we were together all the time and no one told is before. So they called is liars etc. not nice manners!!!

• 28th Mar 2014

Everything was fine, except for the fact that the television in my room did not work. I was told that none of the televisions in guest rooms were working and had not been for about a week. Not good.

• 28th Mar 2014

The room was small and simple, and clean. It had everything I needed; a bed, a televison, a lamp, and a chest of drawers. The restrooms were clean. It seemed to be reasonably secure - I didn't have any problems. The staff was willing to answere questions and give directions.