West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

Absolutely basic. Excellent location though.

Shared bathroom is very inconvenient.

May look gloomy at first, but it's cool to experience an ascetic life for a few days. Using shower takes guts!

• 7th Nov 2013
  • Russia

The place had no atmosphere. The room was cell like. Although I had good service from 2 staff members the rest weren't friendly or unhelpful. In the store they left me waiting by the machine to pay and ignored me on 2 occasions and the second time I asked if the lady was serving and was told to wait. That's very poor service. I'd stay again but only if I had someone to share a room with. You need wifi in the building. That a major minus.

• 6th Nov 2013

The location is great and it is pretty well priced. But the rooms are awkward. I was in a single room with a bed on wheels, could feel every spring in the mattress. The bathroom was clean enough but run down. The staff cleaned my room every day and did a good job. The main staff were okay some very unhelpful, not knowing things like the closest Laundromat. They also charge you to leave you bag for even a couple of hours on check out.

• 3rd Nov 2013

The rooms were to hot at night as the heaters automatically came on when the temperature reached 20c, so it was at least 25c with no air circulation as there wasn't any windows. The staff were not helpful in any way as the did not know where main attractions where within the city and didn't bother to try and find out, also some of the staff were rude and erupt at times.

• 2nd Nov 2013

We were in a shared private room---bunk beds--with a bathroom down the hall. The carpet and tiles were stained, but they did always have staff cleaning an such. Location cannot be beat! We didn't use the gym facilities. The wifi worked fine, tv got a few channels. You don't go to NYC to sit in a hotel room---we wanted a safe, clean place to sleep in Manhattan and this delivered. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• 1st Nov 2013

I liked the hotel very much. I had a good time there. I hope I will go back again. I wll recomend it to my friends.

• 31st Oct 2013
  • Costa Rica

The shared bathroom was kept clean, as were the rooms. The room was spartan, but adequate. The location was great. It was near Central Park and 2 blocks from Columbus Circle. There is a Whole Foods at Columbus Circle, so I ate there frequently. But there was also a small store in the hostel that had salads, sandwiches and snack foods. The selection was pretty good. There were even some gluten-free options, which I really appreciated since I have Celiac Disease.

There is a lot of problems: Bathroom: Dirty, with the equipments broken and without space to change clothes. The rooms: Smells cigarettes for all over the place and is very uncomfortable, with noise bed. I asked to change the sheets and pillows. The internet, that they offer at website, doesnt work, only at lobby with small velocity. So, its impossible return, and its a shame. Its a great location and a good opportunity to do a good job. Good luck!

• 29th Oct 2013

The hostel has a very small room with common bath rooms. Bath rooms are often unclean. Mostly staff are uncooperative.

• 29th Oct 2013
  • India

The heating was broken it was during the end of October (25 / 27 etc) outside it was 5 C° we slept with all our clothes!!!!!! It has been horrible !!!! No other room available ???!!!! Bathroom and showers obsolete , in the room beds not comfortable and the painting of the wall was completely broken. Really not nice. The worst is that on web site pictures are about the only 2 floors renovated, but all the others are sooo old !!!!!!!!!!!! I think this is not correct.

• 24th Oct 2013

Separate guests from non guests. Reestructure all the guests areas; rooms, bathrooms, common areas, entrance. Light colors at all the ambience. Too much people for a few bathrooms. You can't keep it clean. 9th floor is disgusting. I would only reccomend the stay at the 11th floor. Looks like you are in the early 50's! Windows dirty from outside. Take Berkeley Hostel in Boston as at least the minimum reference. You can improve. Go for it!

The rooms, bathrooms en hallways are very old. The YMCA is so big that it's not a hostel any more. There is no personal attention like in a hostel. On arrival we got our key without any explanation about the code we got, the facilities etc.

• 19th Oct 2013

I liked the place but I felt unconfortable because it seems that I have the most cheap bedroon of the hotel. Everyday there was a "cleancar" justo in front of my door. But there wasn't another in front of any other door. The view wans't good. The other bedroms have window but mine doesn't. It seems loke prejudice or something like that.

• 18th Oct 2013

Great location but the actual hostel has a Soviet prison feel about it and is very dark and foreboding. The showers were dreadful with a small stream of water that intermittently changed between freezing and boiling.

It was only ok, security was very good.Perfectly fine if you just want a bed but nothing special!

• 15th Oct 2013

I'm happy

• 13th Oct 2013
  • Spain

For staying in a very good location in manhattan was good value for money. Rooms are small and no frills kind of cell like and bathrooms not very nice, good value for money for what it is and location

Good hostel. The location is near from downtown and the main attractions of NY city.

• 10th Oct 2013