West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

This hostel is one of worst I have ever been, bathroom was disgusting shared with all the floor. My room was really tiny, We just has space to put our luggage, there was no curtains. The price is really high compare to what this hostel offers. Only the location is significant.

• 7th Mar 2014

Worst experience in a hostel I have ever had in my entire life, and I have travelled the globe. Staff wasn't helpful at all, it always seemed like we were bothering them and they weren't even on the same page with one another. They charged us for every little thing (they even charged us an extra dollar for storing a pillow with our bags). No atmosphere at all, the rooms look like jail cells. Don't go there.

• 4th Mar 2014

The 9th floor rooms were like prison cells.$85 per night is not much I admit for New York, but for $20 more per night I had a comfortable private room with bathroom next to Penn station. The Y room was in a word, depressing. Never again, sorry.

• 22nd Jan 2014

Location was ideal, however the rooms were quite outdated, with very uncomfortable beds. It lacked in facilities such as a kitchen, which you would find in other hostels for a cheaper price

• 8th Jan 2014

This is a better way to stay in near-train spots of Manhattan where all things are expensive. The reception guy asked me to show room card when I tried to get into the elevator area, which means they have good security. The bed has wheels under the legs and it's a little slippery when I turns over, but it's not a big deal when I'm sleeping.

Restroom was not clean. Lounge is very cool. Food facilities with health food choises was great.

• 1st Jan 2014

The most spartan, cold, expensive lodging I have experienced in a long time.

• 1st Jan 2014

The Wifi was down when I checked in and continued to be really problematic over the next few days of my stay there. I could not use my computer totally and my handphone wifi could only be used occasionally. This is disappointing because the information provided was free wifi provided and this was not what I've experienced. Furthermore, the room was sadly very bare and looked rundown, the walls were not repainted and paint was peeling off, it also felt quite claustrophobic.

I think the main point is that this place is really well located & cheaper for NYC.You have bus stops, subway, groceries store all pretty close. Doesn't have restaurants close by tho. After I arrived there, I realized that a few guests were a bit sketchy, isn't a hostel for just for travelers, a bunch of people actually live there. Bathrooms were super dirty & the room not that nice, everything is old & poorly preserved. Reception not really friendly and forget about asking for information

The bathroom situation is SOOOOOO much better than in the other Manhattan YMCAs. Rooms are similar. If you have a choice, pick this one.

Since 10th and 11th floors were newly refurbished, try to request for those floors as soon as possible, as they would be best for value. For a good clean shower, that is why the refurbished floors are the best option in West Side YMCA. Remember it is a shared bathroom, so I would recommend getting up early for the day if you would appreciate the alone time away from other users. Staff are exceptionally accommodating with any queries and meeting satisfaction. I would stay here again, money saved!

• 26th Dec 2013
  • nashmonster
  • Singapore

The straff was unfriendly, Showed were only slightly warm so more or less cold. The bathrooms were pretty dirty. The tv in our room did not work and didnt change after i've asked for fixing it. The worst thing was that the internet did not always work sometimes it was shut down for a whole day and that happend a couple of times....

• 26th Dec 2013

With real estate, it's all about location, and you cannot beat the location. Central Park is right outside the front door, Lincoln Center is across the street, and the subway around the corner, exactly the reasons I chose this location. The single room was clean and rather spartan (reminded me of my college dorm room), but I wasn't there to stay in the room. There is a small snack bar that had a nice selection for breakfast (and other meals). Staff was nice.

Where to start. First they do not considered the advance I paid to Hostelword when I made the reservation, they said that that´s is no part of the reservation fee-. The room was not like in the pictures, the bathrooms were far away and dirty, most of all the ladies room. Regarding the room itself, it was sad, the beds were so old that it felt like you were sleeping in a spoon. There were an old TV and a desk. Pretty sad for the price. I´ve been in other hostels, this is the worst ever.

it is a nice place to stay, really close from central park and other important touristic atractions in nyc

I paid US$85/day for an individual bedroom. It was ok, simple, but comfortable, clean, new bedsheets, new towel everyday, bed made... But - The staff at the reception told me I couldn't pay what Hostel World says, it wasnt available anymore - while it was on the HW site. That "I wouldn't be able to do it" 1 (ONE) restroom for floor 2 with only 3 (THREE) shower cubicles, being 60 bedrooms per floor, is IMPOSSIBLE. The cubicles get dirty easily. And the water WAS NOT HOT, during the hard winter.

The staff was very pleasant and very helpful. I also found that it was very well located for transit to the places that I needed to visit.

• 12th Dec 2013

Lighting in rooms too dim for reading. Only sheet and cover, no blanket, and I was cold. Pillow thin and lumpy. Bathroom 80 steps away. TV did not work. Staff helpful. Handy and reasonably priced restaurant. Clean common area. Like the diversity. The location and price make this a good choice.

• 11th Dec 2013

I wish they would re-model the restrooms.

The location is awesome, just next to Columbus Circle. The Y is value for money. The rooms are VERY basic, linens a bit itchy, and the common bathrooms sometimes a bit so and so with sometimes clogged showers, but the location is unsurpassed for me. That's why I keep coming back to the Y. Staff is very nice and they have security on the front desk.

• 8th Dec 2013