West Side YMCA Reviews

5 West 63rd St., N.Y. 10023, New York, USA

The location of the hostel is amazing, plus the facilities at the gym are brilliant. As per previous reviews, the accommodation itself is very very basic and could do with an overhaul. The beds are not the most comfortable as quite thin so you feel the springs a little. The female shared bathroom on level 9 was not very good and would flood everytime that someone has a shower. But overall I would still stay here again as it is still one of the cheapest for the Manhatten area and was central.

it was really cold at night. The room was not so clean, and the price is expensive for the hostel.

• 26th Apr 2014
  • Spain

The window in my room could not be completely close, if the heater wasn't working it was very cold and during windy days it was very noisy.

• 25th Apr 2014

No place to really rest for customers, no kitchen,...

The room is small but everything you need is there, bathroom was clean but we saw a cockroach is the hall. Very good location! We enjoyed our stay here!

the Manager was totally ignorant, I called him to tell him some thing he should have appreciated, and in return he called police and threw me out. Even the Police Office said you Manager was lacking in mental ability Sincerely, Russell Kent Phone 570 325 5889 ,

• 22nd Apr 2014

It was a pretty cool place to stay at. I wouldn't mind if you had a little breakfast included. Book here now! It's a place for young people, though.

• 19th Apr 2014
  • Mexico

Hostel in great location. The rooms were small and very simple. Few bathrooms to share, just 3 bathrooms per floor. But the price is very good.

We were expecting something worse that what it was after reading all the reviews. There weren't enough showers/toilets for all the floor (only 3). The water in the showers had to be either boiling or extra boiling. The cleaning in the rooms wasn't that bad, but the showers could have used a good cleaning. But overall, it wasn't too bad, it's NYC, for that price it's what you get.

This is my second stay to the west side YMCA and I always enjoy my stay there. The only thing I would have to comment on is the 9th floor and its bathroom which seems old and not really nice to use. I hope they are going to renovate it as it is in the 11th floor.

• 18th Apr 2014

WORST STAY EVER. We were given a room with a double bed (despite booking one with twin beds). Next day, we were given keys to an EMPTY room, then to a room with a SINGLE bed with the promise to get a second room later. Apparently, we didn't come back early enough and they thought were werent coming back cause THEY GAVE THE ROOM AWAY AND I HAD TO SLEEP ON THE FLOOR. Next day, I demanded a refund and the room I initially booked, which I got, but WE WASTED SO MUCH TIME because of them. NEVER AGAIN.

Excellent facilities, great location, and good value for money for New York. Overall very happy

From the first interaction with the staff to the last, everyone was pleasant and professional. Two concerns: the bed was rock hard and the evacuation map on the back of the door was not current (location of my room was not on the map). However, these included, the stay was

• 14th Apr 2014

The only thing "good" about the hostel was the location. There're 2 subway stations near the hostel and Central Park is just around the corner. The worst thing was the cleanliness, it was null. The corridor and the room smelled terribly bad. The male restroom was 90% of the time dirty; there were no hand soap or disposable towel, and sometimes even toilet paper (I stayed for the week, so it wasn’t just for 2 or 3 days). The mattress was as comfortable as a box of old springs. Dont stay here.

Very dirty, one of the mattresses was broken and we couldn't get a replacement, had to share a bed.

This hostel is fine if all you want is literally somewhere to sleep. Do be aware though that is you want somewhere social, this is not the place for you. We had a twin room with a shared bathroom, and the ladies had only 3 showers- there was a ridiculous queue everyday to have a shower, even if you got up extra early. The room was fine, but 2 chairs would be better in the twin room- the lower bunk of the bed is so low you can't sit up. The location is good right at the south end of Central Park.

Barebones private room, but awesome location right next to Central Park. Cost includes access to the gym. Clean and friendly staff.

The location is ideal for visiting Manhattan. Also, since last year, there has been some up-dating. The television in the room was very nice. While the room itself was a bit Spartan, when I visit New York, I have a long list of things I want to see. So I really have minimal interest in spending time in the hotel room except to sleep. The YMCA is a most practical base for my visit to New York.

• 3rd Apr 2014

Hello; I had no real problem with the accomodations and the cost was good. I do need to inquire next time, though, about a room that connects to a shared one person bathroom. The last time I stayed I did have taht arrangement and must remember to inquire about that option in the furure. You might want to check on the room I was in. There was a hole in the window piece for the air conditioner and the coverplate for the radiator was broken. Othe than that, I will choose this option again.

• 3rd Apr 2014

It is in a great location. The rooms and bathrooms are not in the best conditions.

• 2nd Apr 2014