Wombats City Hostel Budapest Reviews

Kiraly utca 20, Budapest, Hungary

If you're staying in Budapest, stay here!! Honestly!! Lovely helpful staff. Rooms were second to none! Super guest kitchen and laundry facilities! Wifi was a bit iffy at times but most of the time, it was grand!! Up the wombats!!! 👍

• 13th Jul 2015

Kösziiiiii! :-))))

Great hostel, very close to metro station. You get a voucher for a free beer at their bar when you check in. They help with transport to airport when you leave. No complaints at all.

This hostel does not have wifi! It says is does but no one can connect to it. Also there is a lack of atmosphere despite the bar. I think when a hostel is this big and industrial it becomes impersonal. Staff couldn't help us when we asked where's good to eat. Good location and good rooms although they aren't as clean as they claim they are - our bathroom was filthy.

Hello!Sorry for our unstabile wifi!We are aware of it&working on it,but it actually works for most of the guest,but it truly has difficulties,sorry!Our staff knows Bp perfectly,but maybe our new colleagues need more practice,they`ll get it right away.We are a huge hostel,but we try our best to make it fun with our friendly staff,cool bar&lobby,pub crawl&walking tour, so hope to see you again to prove it.Cheers from Bp

The staff lacked knowledge of Budapest and were unable to recommend any activities, restaurants, or anything in the city. The sheets I received were stained with blood. They advertise free wifi and amenities, however, wifi is only in the lobby and the amenities have to be paid for. I wanted to rent a towel but they ran out so I had to "air dry." The hostel was loud at all hours of the night even though the hostel advertises "quite hours." Needless to say I did not sleep at all.

• 12th Jul 2015

Hi there!Sorry for your disappointing experiences,BUT:we choose our staff members from local guys and they know the city verywell!We also have some new colleagues,but they always work with the most experienced ones,so you can ask more opinions at once.Yes,sometimes we run out of towels,but this is a free,extra service&there is never more delay than 12-24h hours until the next delivery.FREEwifi&pasta&basic cooking stuff&1welcome drink&tablesoccer&guidebook,umbrella,adapter etc. rental..Cheers

Good hostel in a great location, staff were friendly and really informative, only issues were the wifi which didn't work in our room on the third floor and because the hostel was so big it was difficult to socialise apart from on the pub crawl which they host.

• 11th Jul 2015

Fab hostel, possibly slightly on the large side but very sociable, in an excellent location and nice rooms! If I went back to Budapest I would definitely stay here again.

• 11th Jul 2015

Great location, right next to lots of bars and restaurants. Fun people and nice staff, beds were comfy and the bathrooms were great. However, the wifi was terrible. Essentially no connection in the lobby nor the rooms, but that was the only letdown.

Very spacious and comfortable hostel. Only downside was the wifi as It barely worked. Great location though and it was always vibrant and fun. Bonus that the pub crawl leaves from here too. Would stay again.

The staff were fantastic, I had already been in Budapest for a week so all I needed was directions to a different station and a pharmacy. These were given readily which really helped when I was feeling unwell! The rooms were spotless and the kitchen was clean and well-equipped. Choose a smaller hostel if you're in Budapest alone for a few days, as I only stayed for 1 night it suited my needs fine.

This is one of those massive industrial strength hostels where everyone goes out all the time and it is just constant turnover. Not a bad place to stay, but not super cozy or homey feeling.

• 10th Jul 2015

It was super easy to find when coming from the bus station using the directions the hostel gave. The room was really clean and all the staff was helpful. The only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was the pub crawl because we had such a large group so we weren't able to really get drinks quickly at any of the bars.

• 10th Jul 2015

Hello!Thnak you for the nice review,we are happy that you had a great stay.The pubcrawl isn`t organized by us,we just provide the meeting point for it,however I`m happy to forward your feedback to the ones in charge. I hope you could still enjoy the great bars in the neighborhood.Cheers from Bp

This is a typical Wombats Hostel - staff are really nice, 4 person room has personal locker and attached toilet/shower, and no air conditioning (avoid during a heat wave). The location is excellent, on Kiraly street, accessible from Deak Square (where metros 1 through 3 meet). The problem was that the free internet connection was exceptionally spotty. Sometimes it would work fine, other times you might get 5 minutes in an hour, if that. This happened on the 4 days that I was there in July.

• 9th Jul 2015

Great breakfast. Very clean. helpful staff. Only thing negative was the WiFi, only really worked at odd hours when not many people around.

So close to city centre! So so clean, almost like a hotel! Rooms are so big and spacious! Brilliant location! Staff also so friendly and helpful! Will be staying here again!

• 9th Jul 2015

Its definitely a hostel to be in the mood of partying and drinking. Not the place to rest. The hostel amenities, location and pretty much everything is amazing but expect drunken people wandering around until late night. If you're into that you'll have an awesome time. If you go to have a relaxed time is not the place. I was woken up at 4am by drunken noisy guys all the 3 nights. Hard for the hostel to control this... maybe arrange a bit more the dorms by age. Good value for the price

• Spain

Hi there!Thanks a lot for the great feedback and we are very sorry for your bad sleep.Next time pls let us know right away,so we can solve the problem by providing you a different room and asking the loud ones to behave.We are not a party hostel&try our best to keep the healthy balance of fun&good sleep.Hope to see you again to show you how we can actually manage that.Cheers

Genuinely the best hostel that we stayed in whilst travelling round Europe. Such a great atmosphere, lovely staff and facilities and the location was right next to a really good metro line.

I stayed in Wombat's City Hostel for 7 nights, and it was overall a good experience. The staff is very great, they know their way around and are happy to answer any questions or give suggestions on any of your needs. I stayed in a 4-bed dorm and it was a huge room ensuite. It was clean, although the AC was not good enough and made for some hot nights. Please be aware that most of the guests were 17-20 years old and in groups, to keep in mind if you are a solo traveler like myself.

The ventilation system is not enough in the common areas on a hot day in Budapest. You sweat from the moment you step in the hostel. In the room air conditioning worked fine. This place is huge and there so many guests. It is not a great feeling bumping into people all the time. The common areas are really nice but it is impossible to enjoy them on a hot day, it feels like a greenhouse. There are not enough towels to hire. Toilet was not clean.

Hi there!Thanks for your feedback and we are happy that you loved our location at least!Our cool designed lobby has a unique glass mosaic ceiling,thanks to that it`s always very bright,and yes,it is warm,when it is more than 30° outside,but it is only a few days every year.We provide towels for free as an extra service,and when we are out of them,you max need to wait 12-24h.Next time pls ask for an extra cleaning,cuz the bathrooms unfortunately gets dirty very quickly in the dorms.All the best

Sometimes a little bit chaotic, but very friendly, helpful, and responsive staff.

It's a nice place, but maybe don't come here as a more serious minded solo backpacker. It seemed to me that the majority of the guests are groups of teenage British and Aussie mates on holiday, but maybe that was just my experience. Wifi can be spotty, breakfast is good, beds are nice (though my room had a horrible sunlight that made the room super bright in the morning).