Belfast International Youth Hostel Reviews

22-32 Donegal Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland

+ beds with duvi, locker and sink in room - no towels, very noisy room

I stayed in the 23 bed dorm which has heaps of space and is quite spread out so definitely doesn't feel like a 23 bed dorm! Overall a nice place to stay.

Very friendly, helpful staff. Excellent location. Comfortable dorms. Could do with more/ better kitchen equipment. Furniture in Lobby could do with a refurb.

Room maintenance staff do a very good job in a dynamic environment. Ventilation is difficult as you cant please everyone, however, first occupants to bed closed the windows, prob due to noises and the room became very humid. Most occupants, myself included, found it difficult to sleep as an open window brought the noise of the busy main road. This is probably more to the front of the Hostel. Another very minor point is, just 2 power sockets for x4 occupants, when chargers, etc, are the norm?

No complaints - bed gave me a sore back but that's probably just me as I have a sensitive back anyway. Staff very friendly and only other issue would be to maybe have the cafe open at 7 instead of 8 as we had to leave for business before 8 and had to go elsewhere for breakfast. otherwise fine.

• 22nd Jun 2015

Would be benefical to have more tourist information - guides, etc - at the entrance instead of on the 1st floor.

• 20th Jun 2015

This was a serviceable hostel. There is only wifi in the lobby and it's a bit shotty. They do supply free towels which is lovely. Overall a fine place to stay, just not an overly social experience.

I stayed one night in the 23 beds dorm. it didn't feel crowded at all - it's a really big room with a nice view of the city. wifi was good but only in the lounge - couldn't use it in the dorm. the location is very good, about 3 minutes walk from the nearest train station. friendly staff that were happy to help with anything.

Very kind & helpful staff, great value for money, secure pack storage, excellent food at the causeway café just next, great stay!

• 17th Jun 2015
  • Belgium

Reception staff were lovely and excellent. Beds and mattresses need replacing. And the kitchen equipment was primitive, battered, virtually unusable. Once the place is refurbished it will be fine.

The room looked a bit like a jail, so small it was. It had been unclear what type of beds were in the room. I was expecting a double-size bed but what I got was two single beds, one above another.

• 17th Jun 2015
  • Russia

Thank you for taking the time to comment after your recent stay: our hostel has a very wide variety of rooms, all detailed in the information on the booking page: all of our standard rooms, including the 2 bedded rooms, have bunk beds. Bookings made on Hostelworld go straight into our reservation system so receptionists don't choose or amend the room type booked. If you come back and stay choose 'Double Bed Private Ensuite' which costs a little more. Safe travels. David

Stayed in a 4 bed mixed dorm. The beds were comfy and each bed had a lamp. There were only 2 lockers in the room for 4 people. The hostel's interior is outdated. There were only 2 plug in's in the room which was in the ground by the door. The showers were good and clean. Wifi only worked on the ground floor and that was still slow/spotty.

I had am amazing stay at this hostel.. Staff was friendly.. Rooms and beds were clean... Hostel itself is pickup point for many day tours... If i ever come back to belfast would definitely stay here again.. Cheers

• 13th Jun 2015
  • India

Excellent review: thank you for posting it. We will be happy to have you back again any time - and please recommend us as you go! Safe travels. David

Stayed here for one night in a double room. Reception ordered ataxi for us to go out and recommended some really nice bars. Would definatley stay here again. It is great value for money

Thank you for your comments: it's great to know that you'll come back. I know from my own research that guests choose us because we offer good value for money so it's good to have that emphasised in your review: a city centre ensuite double room on a Saturday night for £42 is unbeatable I think. Don't forget that, if you are planning more hostel stays, becoming a HI/YHA member entitles you to a discount on overnight stays. Thank you once again. David

I stayed here for 2 nights and was very happy. The guy at the check in was very helpful with recommendations and suggestions of what to see. The rooms were warm, clean and tidy. The kitchen facilities were good, with lots of space and there was a nice Cafe attached. The highlight was the free walking tour by Gavin (Saturdays and Sundays). It was extremely informative (and crucially impartial). We got plenty of history (old and modern) as well as great tips for Belfast and NI.

My stay was enjoyable and the staff at this hostel are beyond helpful and kind, they are a real asset to the management. The only thing is the lighting for the communal bathrooms and showers on the 3rd floor could benefit from labelling which switch turns on which light as being in the shower and the light being turned off is not the most of fun.

It's great that you enjoyed your stay in Belfast. Thank you for leaving your comments. Describing the staff as 'beyond helpful and kind' is amazing: the people working behind the desk, and our housekeepers, work hard and long hours and are indeed an asset. I am sorry that you were left in the dark occasionally in the showers: perhaps we will have to look at some labels. Enjoy the rest of your holidays. David

everything was great - only down side was there was no hot water in the morning.

I am glad you had a great time at the hostel and hope that we will see you again. Positive feedback is always good to read. I am sorry that you had hot water problems: I am not aware of any general issues with the hot water in the building, but think one or two of them have to run for a while before they start to heat up: not ideal but something for us to look at. Safe travels. David

Toilet seat not cleaned, with stains. Bed with smells of biscuits. Wifi didn't work. Water tap had to be pressed continuously to keep water flowing, worse than a public toilet.

• 12th Jun 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Thank you for taking time to leave your comments after your recent stay. Feedback is always important to us, as we work to provide the best experience that we can for our guests. I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations on this visit, but hope you will continue hostelling. David

This hostel was perfectly adequate and clean but there is no hint of luxury. e.g. You have to keep pressing the shower every thirty seconds to keep it on. The room contained old but stable bunk beds with a metal frame and a sink. There is WiFi but only in a small area downstairs and you have to ask. Basically, there was nothing to complain about but also nothing to talk about. If you are looking for somewhere budget to stay, it is fine. If you are look 'nice' to stay - this is not for you.

• 11th Jun 2015

Inconvenient number of sockets for plugs in a room. Also hostel advertiser as having wifi but only had it in lobby. Furthermore, I would have needed to stay longer however there is a 7 Day max system

• 10th Jun 2015
  • Northern Ireland

Thank you your comments and your 89% score. We only advertise having wifi in our common areas: I am sorry if this wasn't clear enough on the website and that you were disappointed. The hostel, and indeed the HI network, exists to give people (particularly those on a budget) the opportunity to travel, explore new places and discover new cultures: having guests staying long term would limit our ability to do this I am afraid. I am pleased you appreciated your hostel experience. David

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7