Belfast International Youth Hostel Reviews

22-32 Donegal Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland

Phil was the greatest--helpful, friendly, efficient. \I like this hostel and \I would return. As a travel blogger, not having wifi in the dorm rooms is a drawback, and some free tea and coffee in the common rooms would be nice. But there are plenty of clean shower rooms and wc's, the place is clean, the laundry facilities are a big help, and all in all a great hostel.

I worked in a hostel for over 4 years and when I check someone in I do not go off talking to someone else! Otherwise the room weren't big but comfortable enough, the atmosphere was nice and it is good to get free parking in the middle of a city.

• 16th Aug 2014

No nice common area. Besides, good value for money.

The staff were excellent and very helpful. The general feeling of the hostel once up in the corridors and the room was that it was run down, but provided exactly what we wanted: a bed to lay our heads on! All in all, a great stay and the hostel provided a welcoming atmosphere even if we felt a bit on edge after coming up from Dublin in the beginning

• 16th Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Have to go to the ground floor to get the wifi. The kitchen is well-equipped but not smell very good. I stayed at a 22 people dorm, The room is bright and clean. There are three showers, sinks and toilets in the bathroom. However, one of the door of the toilet can't be locked and the water in one sink/shower is not running down properly. The bunk bed is really small and it makes noise every time I turn. No plug by the bed, but there are some in the room. Small locker under the bed.

I really enjoyed my stay here. The staff were friendly and very helpful. It's in a great location, can walk anywhere.

Hello - many thanks for your review of your recent stay at our Belfast International Youth Hostel! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our location central. We very much hope that you will come back to visit us again in the future! Cathy

The only problem WIFI

Very loud at nite even with window closed.

• 14th Aug 2014

The carpet on the ground was not so very clean. But the linen was fresh and clean and there was even a water tap in the room. For such a low price it's a good offer! In the café there was breakfast aviable for all budgets.

Wifi was poor and only available in small area in lobby. Advertised as free parking but no spots available.

Hello. Many thanks for your review! Unfortunately as a not for profit organisation and running the largest hostel building in Belfast, it is just not economically feasible for us to be able to offer a free wifi service throughout the whole of the hostel. Many of the hotels in Belfast actually charge up to £20 per day for wifi access! We also want to encourage our guests to come into the common areas and mix with other travellers and not just sit in their rooms online! Cathy

Poor customer service, including the manager who was extremely rude.

Hi - Many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. We take all criticism from guests very seriously. The majority of people who stay with us comment on how friendly and welcoming our staff are, so it very disappointing to read that this was not your experience. If you would like to discuss this matter further then please do not hesitate to contact me at marketing@hini.org.uk. Cathy

Good affordable hostel within waking distance of many of the major sights in belfast. Giant's Causeway and black cab tours (must see) can be booked at and leave from the hostel. The communal kitchen is ideal when trying to save some money. One of my friends who is quite tall however, had some trouble fitting in the beds.

• 8th Aug 2014

Staff where so lovely and took care of the flowers and made sure they where kept alive! So close to the town walking distance and overall It was great vaule for my money! Definitely be coming back to this! ♥

• 7th Aug 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Hello! Thank you so much for leaving such a lovely review of your recent stay at Belfast International Youth Hostel. It was an absolute pleasure to have you stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon!

The staff were very good and security also, what we did not like was the noisy plumbing and a bad smell from the shower. The area around the hostel is a bit rough but convenient to the city centre.

• 4th Aug 2014

We were at the street side of the hostel

• 4th Aug 2014

Great location close to the centre of town. The café downstairs was handy for breakfast. My private room was a little spartan – just a bed and a small locker in the corner, no table or anything to put stuff on. But it did have a sink. The Wifi was down for most of the time I was there.

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. I'm sorry to hear that you encountered difficulties with our WIFI - we understand the importance of connectivity to our guests which is why we introduced this free facility and I am very disappointed to hear that you were unable to take advantage of it. I hope that it didn't impact too much on your stay and you enjoyed Belfast!

It is more like a hotel. You will not make friends there. If you are looking for something familiar than you should choose another hostel. But it is okay if you need a place to be for one night or if you travel in groups. The beds are old and creak when you're moving. The bunk beds are closely. But the cafeteria has a very bright offer for good prices.

• 3rd Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

May change your policies...

Hello. Many thanks for your review - even if it is somewhat cryptic! I am not sure what policies you are referring to - all our regulations are put in place for the safety, comfort and well being of our guests. If you would like to discuss this matter further then please do not hesitate to contact me - marketing@hini.org.uk Cathy

Good location (close to both Unionist and Republican areas), feels like "real" Belfast. Room was a little smelly (might've been the five sweaty guys staying there too!), and bathrooms/showers were rare and not the cleanest. Still, great deal. I'd stay here again.

Hello! Many thanks for your review of our Belfast International Youth Hostel. I am delighted to read that you found our City Centre location convenient and provided you with an authentic experience! It is disappointing to hear that you didn't find our washroom facilities to be the cleanest as we do have a team of hardworking housekeepers who strive to ensure all of our amenities are pristine. However, with shared facilities it is sometimes difficult to keep on top of who is in before you!

Would stay again

• 1st Aug 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Hello! Many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. There is no better feedback than to hear a guest would return. We very much hope this is the case and we can welcome you back to stay with us again in the future! Cathy