Belfast International Youth Hostel Reviews

22-32 Donegal Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland

Very good just some problems with wifi access.

• 12th Apr 2014

Hi - many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. I am sorry to hear that you had trouble with our FREE wifi - unfortunately sometimes we have issues with the server which are beyond our control. I hope that it was fixed quickly and didn't inconvenience you too much. Cathy

I would've liked a free or less expensive breakfast for the value.

Hi - many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast Youth Hostel. Unfortunately our on site café is actually run independently to the hostel and so we do not cater for guests. However, Alan does offer extremely good value breakfasts and there is also the self catering kitchen so guests have the option to cook for themselves. I very much hope you enjoyed your trip to Belfast! Cathy

It is a kitchen there to use

Hi - thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. I am not too sure if you are asking if there is a self catering kitchen available for guests to use? In which case, there is indeed a fully equipped self catering kitchen for guests to avail of, alongside a café if guests would prefer to have their meals cooked for them. I very much hope you enjoyed your trip to Belfast! Cathy

Great staff with a great location. However negative marks for the lack of utensils in the kitchen. Had to wait for a spoon to become free one morning to eat my breakfast with! Also there were lots of noisy French school kids one night. Not the fault of the YH but the supervising teachers I guess.

The room was little bit dirty when we arrived, there was someone's used sock on the floor and lots of dust. Wifi wasn't working in the rooms. Room was small and little bit noisy, but it was cheap, so I guess it was ok for the price. The location was ok and the cafe situated in the ground floor of the hostel was nice.

Thank you for taking the time to review our Youth Hostel. I sincerely apologise that there was a sock in your room on arrival - this was obviously overlooked by our housekeeping staff & is inexcusable! With regards to the wifi in rooms - unfortunately because we are a not for profit organisation, we are extremely limited by budgets and it is just not economically feasible for us to be able to offer wifi in the hostel bedrooms. However I hope you found the FREE wifi on our ground floor useful

I stayed in a single room, not much of a value. Should have gone to hotel. But breakfast was very good and reasonable cost also self serve was in a good, clean, very organized kitchen

• 9th Apr 2014

Hi - thanks so much for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. Obviously the hostel market is extremely different to the hotel market; different facilities, amenities and ethos. We are a not for profit organisation and we continually strive to ensure our guests are comfortable and have an enjoyable stay with the opportunity to meet new people and share experiences at an affordable price. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Belfast!

Room didn't even have a small towel in it. no sinks in the toilet/shower and no soap by the room's sink. Had to leave early and was told I couldn't have my 2nd night refunded (I had two nights to go) Key card entry at lift is good for security but my floor had atleast 20 rooms on it and the doors were very flimsy, felt worried to leave anything valuable incase of break-in by another guest.

• 8th Apr 2014

Hi - Thanks so much for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. It is obviously very disappointing to receive such a low score but all feedback is important. We actually have towels available for guests at reception - being a hostel we do not provide them in rooms but are more than happy to give them out on request. With regards to soap in the toilets - I am delighted to report that this is something we have now introduced. Lockers are also available for any valuables.

Wifi in the rooms would be awesome. Employees at the desk were awesome! Very nice and helpful!!

• 6th Apr 2014

Hi! Thanks so much for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. Unfortunately because we are a charity we are extremely limited by budgets and so it is just not economically feasible for us to be able to offer wifi in our bedrooms. However, we understand the importance of wifi to our guests which is why we recently introduced FREE wifi in our common areas on the ground floor of the hostel building. We hope you will come back!

I liked the hostel, very good! Very clean and organized!

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. All feedback from our guests is extremely important and when we receive such positive comments we are absolutely delighted. I hope you had a fantastic trip to Belfast and that we can welcome you back to stay some time in the future. Cathy

Excellent value for money vs. location. Great atmosphere and facilities. Thanks for everything :)

• 4th Apr 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel and for leaving such fabulous comments - it is very much appreciated by all of us here in Belfast! Hoping you had a fantastic trip and wishing you all the best. Cathy

Probably could find a better hostel to stay at thats better value for money.. the rooms were clean and facilities were good, but there is no atmosphere. I stayed as a solo traveller, I hardly met anyone because of the lack of good common areas. Location was pretty average too, a fair walk from anything and the area felt a bit dodgy. I wouldn't say it was terrible, but I wouldn't stay again.

Enjoyable stay - friendly staff, especially in the cafe. Helpful having coach trip office in hostel. Rooms pleasant and clean. All the facilities I needed. Only comment would be to have a few more mugs and clean teatowels in the members kitchen (but know they tend to go for walks!) Otherwise it was great to have such a large members kitchen. Have already recommended hostel to others.

• 26th Mar 2014

Good quality hostel withing walking distance of city centre.

The staff of the hostel was very nice and helpful. The kitchen is one of the best I've ever seen in a hostel, fully equipped with three stoves and erverything else you need. The only thing missing is salt and pepper. The mattresses were awful, too thin and covered with plastic under the sheets - of course because of hygiene but we were sweating a lot because of that. No wi-fi in the rooms! Unfortunately, there is more information on youth hostels in other countries than on Belfast itself.

I really enjoyed my stay. The only thing that was not very good was the location. There is a train station just a couple blocks away, but it can get expensive to take the train a lot. The hostel itself is a very good facility. I was able to share a room with my traveling companion, and it was a good setup. The showers and restrooms are kept clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful with tips within the city.

The staff was real friendly, and the Causeway Café had great food at affordable prices! However, I have seen far nicer rooms. Both the room and the bathroom looked as though it had not been properly cleaned, and the bathroom door was rotten from humidity. Also, there is no wi-fi available in the rooms or dorms, only in the reception area.

• 18th Mar 2014
  • Norway

No soap was available in any of the bathrooms.

• 17th Mar 2014

Okay for the price you pay, but not a fan of the bathroom/shower situation. There's nowhere to put any soap etc and the loo paper gets wet as it's an open shower bathroom.

Positive: the hostel was nice, clean and very well located. Not dirty at all. Things to improve: I did not like the fact that the rooms for 6 people were so small. I felt I needed more space between each bunk bed. Also, the showerheads were fixed. I prefer them to be detachable, as it is a hassle to wash your hair everytime you need to go for a shower. The staff were very distant, they were not close at all. I did not feel that comfortable when I asked them for something.

• 15th Mar 2014
  • Spain

Foul odor in the 4 bed dormitory, apparently coming from sweat-smelling duvets. Bathrooms and toilets are barely OKish. The rooms in the back of the building are very noisy until late because of a club overlooking the car park. Staff was really nice though.