Capsule Hotel Asakusa River Side Reviews

2-20-4-B Kaminarimon, Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan

great experience to stay in a capsule - an experience that only japan can offer

• 5th Oct 2015

First time staying in a capsule hotel and it was better than I expected. My capsule fit me perfectly and had plenty of head space, which is good for taller people. The rooms were surprisingly clean. There are two subway stations located under a minute away. Only minor complaints were that Wifi was only available in the second floor lounge and the shower was public. Other than that, I would be glad to stay here again.

The capsules were cool but you couldn't charge your phone and there wasn't any wifi in the rooms. You had to go to the 2nd floor to get wifi which was very inconvenient! also theres carpet everywhere and it hasn't been cleaned in ages and smells bad (pee and cigarettes). The communal shower is also on the 9th floor which is inconvenient. I enjoyed my experience of sleeping in the capsule, it was very comfortable but the other stuff put a damper on my experience.

Dirty, dusty and overall nasty. Would not stay again.

• 26th Sep 2015
  • Sweden

The system was a little confusing at first but we got the hang of it. The biggest drawback was not having Wi-Fi in the bunks. The bunks were cozy, clean, and fun. Would stay again!

First the bad. Constant smell of smoke in the corridors, and smokers lighting up where ever they want. (This seems to be Tokyo in general) You have to check out between 10-3 for cleaning everyday. And the showers are communal and closed half of the day after 9am. More like a hotel than a hostel. Location was excellent! Price was very good for Tokyo. Staff were friendly enough just didn't speak much English. The communal bath on the top floor had a great view! Overall a good budget choice!

The staff was utterly disagreeable, I didn't feel welcomed at all. The lockers are ridiculously small, so that you feel forced to pay for the extra luggage service. The capsule beds are surprisingly confortable and large. The onsen is nothing extravagant but it does a good job relaxing your muscles, provided there are not too many people.

If you're looking for a japanese capsule experience I think this is a great place. We, as a couple had to sleep in different floors but I like it there. After all day walking around I could use a good bath to relax. Easy to find. Staff could speak very little english and the lockers were very small for a regular backpack. However there are bigger lockers in the second floor 300yen for 12hours. Also more power points could be needed.

The place is not that clean and indoor smoking on 9th floor, so each time I had a shower I inhaled second hands smoke! Also, a guy opened the curtain to my capsule and scared me, it was suppose to be all female floor. There no lock or anything like that at all. I told the staffs and no one seem to care at all, so I think this happened before. Some of the older Japanese staffs were rude and didn't care to talk to you since I was a Chinese female guest. Very discriminated by older staffs.

The capsule was spotless. However the corridors smelt a bit of cigarette smoke and the common area on the second floor looked a bit tired, like it had seen better days. Opened 20 years ago, it doesn't seem to have moved with the times, as there was a distinctive shortage of places to recharge your phone, and wifi was only available in the entrance area and second floor coomon room. It was however the cheapest place listed in Tokyo by hostelworld and was in an ideal location.

I liked this capsule hotel, although itt's kind of a mix between a capsule hotel and a hostel. The capsules are clean and comfortable and the bath floor is convenient and useable. It even has a small sauna. The location is great, close to the Senso-ji shrine and markets and also different subway lines. My only complaint would be that the hotel makes you check out every day at 10am, which is standard for capsules, but they don't provide a free option for storing luggage during the day.

loved staying here for 2 nights, as a couple we were on separate floors but not an issue. The only capsules hotel we found to allow girls so happy we could have the experience ;) girls floor had no security though to stop anyone else going in, not a problem for me but think if the effort has gone in to make a separate floor then maybe have a re-think on this. the bathrooms are very cool but maybe have one small separate shower for the shy and for girls when it's their time of month!

You get what you pay for. Staff can be rude and very strict. It's annoying that you MUST leave your capsule or room at 10 am for cleaning even if staying.

• 18th Apr 2015

Good hostel for backpack-er, but remind that they dont have privite bathroom and lock too small (if you want bigger locker, you need to use coin locker)

Little locker provides no space for large luggage. your only option is to use a oin locker which charges per 12h and per opening. The 300yen locker was large enough for Backpack and hand luggage. The bath is rather small and because of steam you cannot see a lot of the river. I an understand people who say this bath is dirty, espacially the gaps between the floor tiles. The location in the center of Asakusa is awesome and it is also not very far from JR Asakusabashi.