Capsule Hotel Asakusa River Side Reviews

2-20-4-B Kaminarimon, Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan

The staff was utterly disagreeable, I didn't feel welcomed at all. The lockers are ridiculously small, so that you feel forced to pay for the extra luggage service. The capsule beds are surprisingly confortable and large. The onsen is nothing extravagant but it does a good job relaxing your muscles, provided there are not too many people.

If you're looking for a japanese capsule experience I think this is a great place. We, as a couple had to sleep in different floors but I like it there. After all day walking around I could use a good bath to relax. Easy to find. Staff could speak very little english and the lockers were very small for a regular backpack. However there are bigger lockers in the second floor 300yen for 12hours. Also more power points could be needed.

The place is not that clean and indoor smoking on 9th floor, so each time I had a shower I inhaled second hands smoke! Also, a guy opened the curtain to my capsule and scared me, it was suppose to be all female floor. There no lock or anything like that at all. I told the staffs and no one seem to care at all, so I think this happened before. Some of the older Japanese staffs were rude and didn't care to talk to you since I was a Chinese female guest. Very discriminated by older staffs.

The capsule was spotless. However the corridors smelt a bit of cigarette smoke and the common area on the second floor looked a bit tired, like it had seen better days. Opened 20 years ago, it doesn't seem to have moved with the times, as there was a distinctive shortage of places to recharge your phone, and wifi was only available in the entrance area and second floor coomon room. It was however the cheapest place listed in Tokyo by hostelworld and was in an ideal location.

I liked this capsule hotel, although itt's kind of a mix between a capsule hotel and a hostel. The capsules are clean and comfortable and the bath floor is convenient and useable. It even has a small sauna. The location is great, close to the Senso-ji shrine and markets and also different subway lines. My only complaint would be that the hotel makes you check out every day at 10am, which is standard for capsules, but they don't provide a free option for storing luggage during the day.

loved staying here for 2 nights, as a couple we were on separate floors but not an issue. The only capsules hotel we found to allow girls so happy we could have the experience ;) girls floor had no security though to stop anyone else going in, not a problem for me but think if the effort has gone in to make a separate floor then maybe have a re-think on this. the bathrooms are very cool but maybe have one small separate shower for the shy and for girls when it's their time of month!

You get what you pay for. Staff can be rude and very strict. It's annoying that you MUST leave your capsule or room at 10 am for cleaning even if staying.

• 18th Apr 2015

Good hostel for backpack-er, but remind that they dont have privite bathroom and lock too small (if you want bigger locker, you need to use coin locker)

Little locker provides no space for large luggage. your only option is to use a oin locker which charges per 12h and per opening. The 300yen locker was large enough for Backpack and hand luggage. The bath is rather small and because of steam you cannot see a lot of the river. I an understand people who say this bath is dirty, espacially the gaps between the floor tiles. The location in the center of Asakusa is awesome and it is also not very far from JR Asakusabashi.

An interesting take on accommodation in Tokyo, this capsule hotel may or may not be a hidden gem in Asakusa. Being a budget hotel, the price is pretty much near free when compared to other major hotels and ryokans in the area. And, you get what you pay for; not much. What you are guaranteed: Somewhere to sleep at the end of the night, fresh towels and disposable toiletries, interaction with eccentric locals and ample cup noodles. What an experience - not for those who are claustrophobic.

• 1st Apr 2015

Clean bathrooms and capsules. Staff are friendly but speak very little English. Location is good right next to the metro. There is only a small locker to put your thing other than paid lockers and the staff open that locker daily to put in a fresh towel. Showers are on top floor of building.

We spent one night at the capsule hotel, and the experience was fun and pleasant! :)

What a neat place! The location is excellent, close to the subway and in a quiet neighborhood. The capsule bed itself is much larger than I thought it would be, so no fears about feeling claustrophobic. The best part is the public shower and hot sauna (you have serious issues if public bathing offends you), plus a balcony with a great view of the city! It was a great way to end the night, with back-and-forth sauna heating and cooling off on the balcony.

I stayed in the capsule hotel just to have the experience - in retrospect one night would have been fine, did not need 3. I imagine it's pretty normal for a capsule hotel - obviously a small space, shared bath, etc. Lockers on the floor to keep your valuables but not large enough for luggage - must use coin lockers in the 2nd floor that. There is a lounge with Internet (wifi only works in the lounge). Smells a little smoky and kept very warm at night. Ok, but I wouldn't stay there again.

Really nice hotel. Friendly staff and good value for money, definitely going back

Great place to stay. The capsule itself is pretty spacious and had enough room for my small backpack to fit comfortably. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is just one block from the train station to the airport, so this is a great place to sleep if you have an early-morning flight.

My time here was full of surprises: a strange smell upon entering the building, the discovery that there are no private showers but instead only a communal onsen-style bath area, funny bath clothes, a common area on the 2nd floor that I can't really find the words to describe... I actually highly recommend spending a night here. It's as if the capsule hotel has been in operation for the past 30 or 40 years without anything being replaced.

We were extremely dissapointed with the capsule hotel, the boys found toothpicks in their capsules, the smell was unpleasant, while there were lockers available, we had to hand in our locker key in exchange for our shoes (and hence all the staff had access to our lockers for the duration we werent in the hotel) The staff were mediocre and we were very keen to check out asap

Location is fantastic, capsules are good, about a dozen per level/room, be prepared for japan's public bathing system which may require some getting used to (but the view of skytree etc from the bath/top level is great)

The hallways stank of cigarettes.