City Garden Lodge Reviews

25 St Georges Bay Road, Parnell, Auckland, New Zealand

Not the hostel I would recommend. Location is nice - a little way from the center, but easy to drive to and easy to find. The house itself is old and beautiful (but has seen better days). And they have single rooms, which is a bonus! BUT: the room was SO dirty,it stank like someone's dirty feet (trust me, not mine), it was so unpleasant, I wanted to avoid spending an extra minute there. Kitchen is filthy, full of flies. Also NO parking!! You just hope you find a place along a very narrow street.

Hi Ekaterina Thank you for staying in city garden lodge. I am very sorry to know that you did not enjoy your stay here. We try our best to keep the lodge clean & tidy. Iam not sure what was stinking in the room. We checked the room & we could not smell any thing wierd. The kitchen is cleaned at least 5 times a day. Regarding the car parking we can park up to 6 cars in our drive way & also all the street car parking is free & has no time limit. We will try & work harder to keep the lodge clean.

Very nice place, not too big, so it's also not to crowded. Staff are considerate and clean the place every day. We had our oun mini fridge and balcony in the bedroom, both very useful. Had a great time in this hostel, would definitely came back.

• 20th Feb 2014

really cozy place! great relaxed atmosphere and lots of common areas that invite talking to other travelers, indoor and outdoor. feels like something between a hostel and a bigger homestay. i've walked there from the ferry (uphill) - it's possible but better to just catch one of the frequent buses. no free wifi (as almost everywhere in NZ) and very few showers. the area isnt very close to the center, but the church and esp the park nearby are worth a visit and everything's pretty walkable.

the place was ok

Great location, staff helpful, all ages welcome, interesting older home with lots of amenities and transportation nearby.

I was very happy that I had chosen City Garden Lodge for the start of my tour of New Zealand, North Island. My initial stay was for 3 nights, but being more than satisfied, I returned for a further night and then returned for a further 2 nights - a testiment to the Lodge. The ambience was extremely relaxing and the staff most helpful. They run a good establishment.

• 24th Jan 2014

After spending a week in another hostel in Auckland (Oaklands Lodge) the City Garden Lodge was a bit disappointing. It was a bit unclean and there were so many people using the kitchen and toilets, because in addition to the guests sleeping in the hostel they were official guest sleeping in tents, in caravans provided by the hostel or in their own camper vans. To say something good: The hostel has a nice living room with very cozy sofas. In the end it is ok to stay here, but not much more.

check in girl was smokin' hot

Hostel is located in a suburb about 20 min walk from Auckland CBD, which means it's quiet and peaceful. There's a ~15 min walk to the supermarket. Our room (double) was really nice and spacious. Bathrooms were pretty small but clean and sufficient for us, no more, no less. The staff is excellent and really nice. The kitchen is a little bit small during lunch hours because there's so many people trying to use it at once, but just wait 15 min and it'll be allright. Overall a good hostel!

This was one of the most soulless hostels I've ever stayed in.

I have no idea what should be my response on this. This is not a party hostel & we do not have any television in the lodge so guests can talk to each other & most of them welcome this. We keep the lodge very clean & we try our best to help the guest to make their stay comfortable.

Massive sprawling old house means a long walk to limited shared bathrooms. Big communal areas and lots of outdoor space. Terrible wifi, couldn't get it in the room and rarely able to connect in the communal areas. Staff were nice.

The property isn't bad, would need some maintenance though. We stayed in a 3 person dorm. The light bulbs in the reading lights didn't work, there were only 2 outlets in the whole room, the beds were really old and not comfortable. The upstairs showers were disgusting, the downstairs ones were alright. Weird bathroom situation. The kitchen is pretty small considering the amount of people. 200 mb wifi are free, the internet didn't always work, the prices for wifi are ridiculous. Common area's ok.

• 28th Oct 2013

Good hostel, clean comfortable, would certainly stay there again.

Great place to stay, very easy going and arranging staff, great location.

• 4th Oct 2013

A great hostel in an awesome old building, with great friendly staff.