Fortaleza Guest House Reviews

Fortaleza 303, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Well kept rooms with friendly ownership - definitely recommend this hostel to anyone staying in Old San Juan. My girlfriend will certainly stay here in the future. Great location! Only 5 minute walk to San Felipe Castillo and other main attractions. The man running the hostel was nice, helpful w/ directions, and went above and beyond to accommodate us. It is important to note he only speaks Spanish, but you should probably know a few words when traveling to PR. Clean rooms and nice facilities.

the kitchen should be in better shape with more utilities and the rooftop should be cleaned up a bit to be able to enjoy it .

• 12th Feb 2015
  • Costa Rica

I stayed in a 4 bed mixed dorm and the room is small but it has ac and it's clean enough. The owner doesn't speak English but he can help with anything and is very nice. The location is wonderful though. You are surrounded by shops in Old San Juan, restaraunts and bars are all within walking distance. You can walk to Castillo San Cristobol and El Morro in about 20 or so minutes. For $.75 1 way you can take a bus to Condado Beach in about 15 minutes.

What was promised, a Flat Scree TV in each room was not there, one bathroom on each floor, and access to the facility was poor. The Cleanliness of the bedding was rather disgusting once I pulled the sheet (no matress pad) back to reveal raw stains. Rooms without AC had an oscilating fan…too loud to sleep. Noise level from the street was outrageously loud. I could not sleep and on my last night, I chose to pack up at 1 in the morning and cut out for the airport a day earlier.

• 25th Jan 2015

Fan room front balcony is best.

• 20th Jan 2015

The location cannot be beat! It is in the center of Old San Juan and easy access to tons of tourist activities. The rooms are small but adequate if all you need is a bed and a place to stay it is excellent value. However, the owner speaks no English, only Spanish so be prepared for that.

• 8th Jan 2015

Not much space to hang out...great location in the heart of old sanjuan but loud as hell at night...bring your earplugs!....I'll stay again anytime

• 3rd Jan 2015

I stayed there because I didn't want to spend New Year's eve by myself and I managed to meet some cool people there. However, there aren't enough common rooms to socialize (there is a cool terrace, but nobone uses it). The noise was very bad! My room (202) overlooked the street and you can hear the cruise ship tourists on the streets from very early. Another annoying thing is the ding-dong ring every time a customet would enter the stores downstairs. I didn't stay long, so I enjoyed my time ther

First thing I notice is that although advertised, there was no wifi at the hostel. There was nobody I could communicate in English which made my stay even harder. Plus, the facilities were not that clean, the building was generally old with small rooms (and no window for fresh air). Compared to other hostels I stayed at, this guest house lacked a communal space to meet fellow travelers, well equipped kitchen to cook together with them etc. Location is excellent but not worth the money

• 24th Dec 2014
  • Turkey

- very Noisy (Inside and outside) - not clean enough (cockroach) - electrical installation too old

• 17th Dec 2014
  • Belgium

An excellent location and a good value for money. Safe and friendly.

• 16th Dec 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Key access to the front door and additional key to rooms. Staff onsite almost always keeping an eye on anyone coming in/out. Location is great for a variety of dining, entertainment, shopping options in Old San Juan. Only 5-10 minute walk to the Forts as well. Staff was very helpful and accommodating. Not much of an "atmosphere." Common room with a few couches but each floor has balcony with chairs looking out over Calle Fortuleza and there is a rooftop. Room = Jail cell, bed and bathroom clean!

I tried to cancel my reservation due to family emergency. However, the hostel never got back to me and charged me.

• 13th Dec 2014
  • China

Great staff. Very safe. Simple rooms/facilities but absolutely functional and perfectly located in old san juan.

• 12th Dec 2014

right in the heart of old SJU, it is far from luxurious but very clean, with the exception maybe of very small kitchen...the limited staff was very accommodating ...for 1 or 2nights it is OK really....easy walk to cruise terminal....

• 6th Dec 2014
  • Couple, 41+

VERY FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL. BUILDING IS TERRIBLY RUN DOWN BUT ROOMS CLEAN, BEDS GOOD, LINEN GOOD, BATHROOM VERY NICE AND CLEAN. SUPER LOCATION, AND OUR ROOM WAS QUIET WITH STRONG A/C. NEEDS A BEDSIDE LAMP, TRASHBASKET, HAND TOWELS AND SOAP.

I enjoyed my stay. Bathrooms were clean. No where to really hang out in the hostel, but location is prime so if you're barely in the hostel it works great! My room just needed some dusting.

Very basic but clean hostel in a centre of Old San Juan. My room was from a street side and it was very noisy because of the traffic although the street is small. But that the only option to have a room with balcony. Staff vas nice but not many traveller at a time I was there.

View all San Juan Bed and Breakfasts