Fortaleza Guest House Reviews

Fortaleza 303, San Juan, Puerto Rico

It was perfect! From the staff to the other guests it was fantastic! It was extremely clean, the staff were so friendly and helpful, and the location cannot be bragged on enough! Loved it and the next time I am in Old San Juan, I will be staying there again!

• 4th Sep 2014

Highly recommend! This place is just well located and the staff is very nice and welcoming, even if English is not the main language.

If you are looking for a place to sleep this is good for that. I stayed here two nights. Finding it is pretty easy. If you are having trouble because you use verizon then hit up the Burger King around the block for free wifi. I drove a rental and had trouble finding parking on the street. The wifi was pretty good but weak in the 3rd level 4 bunk room. Because of the large size of the place and the way it's built, air conditioning is impossible for the whole hostel but sleep rooms were chilled.

• 19th Jul 2014

There was a definite ant problem in and around the kitchen areas. The rooms themselves were clean but I would have liked to have been given more than just a light sheet. Also, the kitchens on each floor would benefit from renovations. The showers did not have hot water.

Great location, however there were ants crawling around the counter in the kitchen and various places in the dorms. The owner seems sweet but doesn't speak a lick of english.

• 24th May 2014

Listen. This is a great hostel. If you aren't willing to deal with hostel life don't go here. But if you are looking for a more affordable way to stay in the HEART of old San Juan, and you aren't going to flip about not having allot I space, this is the place for you. The owner let me keep my luggage in a closet after check out while I waited for my next place to become available. Very accommodating and nice. Highly recommended.

• 23rd May 2014

+ Due to my flight time, I arrived at the hostel around 4.30 AM and the check in was very easy. Other hostels charge a late arrival fee. - The only staff I've met spoke barely any English which did not matter for me, but maybe they have English speaking staff during the day. - There seem to be 2 bathrooms/ toilets only for the whole hostel which might not be enough when the hostel is full. However, it might be hard to change this as the hostel is in an old apartment.

Though the owner knew very little English, he was very kind and I managed to converse with him a bit in Italian/Spanish. The location was awesome and the security was top notch, considering he had locks on practically every door. At the moment they're doing reconstruction at the intersection (Fortaleza

Just Great

• 5th May 2014

My wife was so pleased with her stay, and the balcony off the double bedroom allowed me to surprise her with breakfast on the veranda when she woke up the next morning.

• 5th May 2014

It is an old building right in central old San Juan, so very good location. The hostel is very simple, you basically pay in cash and get the key to the room. The room is small but fair, there is a locker, air conditioning (which is important), and I was lucky enough to get a double bed. Bathrooms were clean. I recommend this hostel.

A bit overpriced for what you get (dorm). Note that there is crazy construction on Fortaleza (May 2014), so ask for a room away from the street if possible. Clean, nice balcony. Very helpful and friendly manager, but I believe he only speaks Spanish. Good place to meet other travelers, lots of fun, young people passing through.

Need to keep more silverware, plates, glasses, bowls in the kitchen. I had a flight for 6am, the caretaker got up at 4.45 and returned my deposit as well. Good guy!

The steward only speaks Spanish so come prepared with some phrases memorized to communicate. Location was great in the heart of Old San Juan. Everywhere was a short walk. At the time of this review, the street was closed to traffic for road work so it was a quiet atmosphere. That will change once the street is open again.

• 5th Apr 2014