Golden Island Guesthouse Reviews

FLAT 1, 7/F ALHAMBRA BUILDING, 383-385 NATHAN ROAD, YAUMATEI, KOWLOON, Hong Kong, Hong Kong

The beds could have been a little more comfortable and I wish that there would have been more guests. Maybe it was just the time of year that I went, but I was literally the only one there. It was kind of lonely. The hostel that I stayed at in Thailand had a very welcoming staff, and I felt 'home,' whereas at this hostel I felt like I was just at a hotel. They were helpful, though, in answering my questions. Also, don't drink out of the glasses that they provide in the rooms. They're smudgy.

• 20th Mar 2015

We are group of 5pax from KK, Sabah visiting recently early March 2015, we simply love the room so much even though its so small, near to temple street market, Most importantly is the security & surveillance are excellent. we stay happily and its a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED hostel for a group looking for better price in town. Walking distance 20 Mins to Harbour City (Many buillding you will passed by, subway,shoplot with interesting deals, nice restaurant etc). Very easy to find the HOSTEL, I LOVE HK!

• 5th Mar 2015
  • Malaysia

Location is good, near Temple Street & Nathan Road. Bit of a walk to nearest train stations. Room was decent - there is a TV, kettle, some toiletries like shower gel, shampoo, toothbrush. Bathroom very small, had to sit sideways on the toilet. There was hair on the floor and pubic hair on the toilet seat when we checked in. But they tidied the room everyday, & changed sheets & towels sometimes. Can be tricky dealing with staff, only one speaks limited English and the rest only speak Chinese.

Second time staying here recently, and this stay was just as pleasant as my last!

While hostel stays are half the other travelers, this hostel was nice. I had booked with Golden Island, and although I was late and didn't have the cash that night to pay, I was upgraded to a smaller room in Tai An. Not sure if its the same ownership, or what, but overall- a great place. 50 Mb/s internet too.

Tiny room, but for the price it's okay. Window just to a light corridor, very dark. Close to metro stations, very close to night market and shopping in mong kok.

This Guesthouse is on Nathan Road in the center of the action in Kowloon. Was asked to stay in a double the first night, then move to the single I had booked for the rest of my stay. This Guesthouse doesn't accept credit cards, just cash. the staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean, comfy and had WiFi available. Security cameras in elevators and hallways. Cool auto entry key sensors on some doors. Overall it was a good stay. I would recommend it to others.

• 4th Feb 2015

Small room, but that seems to be the norm in Hong Kong. Bathroom was kept clean, and new towels and small complementary toiletries were provided each day. The staff were all very kind. They were even willing to let me pay a little bit of the sum a day late because I didn't have quite enough cash the first night. Room came with a TV, but I never did figure out it if they provided free wifi. A great hostel for a short stay for budget travelers!

The hostel is located near the MTR station, so the location is very good. It was easy to move around from there by metro or only by walking. The hostel wasn't so easy to find. The right building was hard to spot. Inside the building had to figure out to which floor to take the elevator. Finally we figured out that it's in the floor 7. Only 1 from the staff spoke english so it was hard to communicate sometimes. Otherwise we were happy! Room was small, but clean. Good value for money.

There were mice running around!!! I thought I was used to Hong Kong hostels and the "unique" cramped/fire-trap atmosphere, but Golden Island made me wish I'd just gone to Chungking Mansion. The building is about the same. Lobby area is dingy and desk staff are unfriendly. I was a bit turned off by the very daring mice.

The hostel was exemplary clean and tidy. However, there was no pantry provided for those travellers who might need it. Moreover, no guest room was allocated for backpackers to mingle around.

Location was good and the rooms were maintained clean. The size of the room was a little concern, but I guess all the hostels in HK have similar sized rooms. Staff was helpful but only Jessica could speak English, so what ever information you want take it while she is around.

• 26th Dec 2014
  • India

What I did got was a family suite which the hostel provides for larger groups with many house like facilities so i think i was quite lucky a it was empty. The owner does occupy one of the rooms and her family did visit but it didn't bother mel. I would stay there again if I got something similar. Clearer directions needed to hostel- after exiting metro, exit C, Yau Ma Tai; turn right and walk near a bridge you see. Its just after on the right down an alley in between shops before 'Bonjour' shop.