Green Plaza Shinjuku Capsule Reviews

1-29-2 Kabukichyo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan

Stayed one night for a capsule hotel experience. The place was fine but the whole hotel was very hot, without sufficient air conditioning, even though it was cold outside. This did make the whole stay a little unpleasant. Japanese style baths/onsen was fine - but as a westerner make sure you know the etiquette for using these. Very clean. Wifi worked well.

Should have more front desk workers who can speak English.

• 4th Jan 2015

You get what you pay for. The main floor smells like a gym locker. Its in a pretty sketchy part of town. Its drab and depressing. The capsules were very clean though. But its crazy cheap, so its got that going for it!

• 31st Dec 2014

Good location near Shinjuku station but very few other travellers in the hostel. When I was there 95% of other guests were Japanese business men. It is certainly an experience staying in a capsule hotel and I would possibly recommend it for one night to experience it and all the unusual things that go with it. Ie you get issued with prison uniform, I mean pyjamas! Communal baths and showers! And of course sleeping in a capsule. But one night is definately enough, there are other better options.

This was my first experience in a capsule hotel, indeed my first experience arriving in Japan. The staff at Green Plaza Shinjuku are very, very friendly. Every staff member I asked took time to help me understand how the "system" works - even if things were very busy at the time. Aside from a clean, large-enough capsule, the Green Plaza offers several floors' worth of infrastructure which would qualify as "wellness" in the West. A large public bath area, TV room with comfy reclining chairs etc.

• 4th Dec 2014

Awesome capsule hotel. Was unfortunate enough to not get a luxury capsule so I didn't have a plug to charge my phone. WiFi doesn't work in business area that you can charge your phone. Only thing that sucked. Other than that being able to get a meal, massage, alcohol and chill under one roof is amazing! Fantastic location too. English speaking staff made check in a breeze

As the establishment catered mainly to native japanese, while the staff were nice, I found communication in english a little difficult, and also found it difficult learning all the hostel customs such as taking your shoes off and storing them in the locker.

Staff very bad. I speak English and the staff spoke little english. When he asked about tattoos he misunderstood me and refused to let me stay and threatened to call police. I was calm the entire ordeal. After 10 mins telling I'm I have no tattoos and offering to take my clothes off he sent another person over which allowed me to stay. It was an ok hostel but I would never return here. Seems more set up for the locals than for travelers! Not recommended!

Green Plaza Shinjuku Capsule offers a very authentic Japanese capsule hotel experience. Most of the guests are Japanese, and there are very few accommodations for the western ways of doing things (e.g. no private showers at all, only a giant public bath room). The place is definitely cold and institutional, and you'll feel like the odd man out, but it's meant as a cheap place to stay and that's it. I think it's something that a westerner should try for one night, and one night only.

Of course it is nothing like a nice comfy hostel, but definitely an experience one should have, when being in Japan. It is located just in Shinjuku. The Public Baths and Sauna are available all the time. Staff's English isn't that good, but that's no problem.

Staying at a capsule hotel (especially this one) is a much different experience than staying in a hostel. For example, even when staying multiple nights you have to check out at 10am sharp (or be charged with late checkout fees of 270 yen per 30 mins) and then check in again at 3pm. So if you had a big night in Shinjuku etc then you can't have a lie in and you have to leave the premisies or pay over 2,000 yen to use the rest area/spa facilities during the day.

Very convenient location, staff speak English. My capsule didn't have Wifi, though, but fortunately I had planned for that.

Nothing like the pictures, felt like a young offenders home, no wifi in capsule only in smoking room...great if you smoke but if you dont then it was a no go... male female separation felt very wierd and some very strange people in there. All in all not a great experience. As for trying everything once, dont bother. Misled by hostel world with the pictures and bio and felt let down. Luckily found an air bnb that was amazing value for the next 4 days.

• 24th Aug 2014

This is an overnight spa for Japanese businessmen who are in town for a meeting or missed last train home. Unique local experience, there are actually very few foreigners staying here. No tattoos allowed: they are very strict since the target audience is not Westerners. Check in, put stuff into locker, head out on the town then come back to use the public bath and crash for the night. One night stay at a time: every day is a new locker and new check in. Try outdoor cold jacuzzi during summer.

• 20th Aug 2014

For new Japanese experience, just one or two nights are good enough. I moved to another hostel after a night here. I wish it was cheaper though it was in the main city center. Small capsule and public bath was okay, but it's not a hostel. It's mainly a public bath with a little resting capsule. Travelers should be all alone unless they have a company. It's good for taking a quiet rest. But again, it's quite a lot of money to spend.

My capsule cost 3,500 yen for 1 night, and it didn't include an AC plug for devices or wifi. Furthermore, the lockers were very thin; my backpack barely fit and my carry-on luggage could not. There are many positives though: there's a restaurant on the 5th floor that is reasonably priced. The hotel and restaurant staff are very friendly. Vending machines and restaurant are charged to your account via wristband, and the facilities are clean. Great location (Shinjuku). Good, but overpriced.

The location is nice and all, and the capsule thing is something that you should experience at least once. Apart from that, it is just a mediocre place. What made me give low reviews is the reception part, where you get in the same line with the customers who only came to use the spas. Therefore sometimes just to drop your key or get your shoes from the locker, you need to wait for 20 minutes on the queue. That is not very efficient. I am not even speaking about the no tattoo rule.

Great experience, sleeping in the tube is the least important thing. Enjoy the japanese swimming pool, massages, etc.

I was rejected for my tattoos and I didn't get my deposit back.

This capsule hotel was probably the most Japanese experience of my whole trip. Reasonably clean. Be aware that if you stay there for more than one day, you have to check out in the morning an re-check in in the afternoon.