Green Plaza Shinjuku Capsule Reviews

1-29-2 Kabukichyo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan

The Atmosphere is quite weird. However sleeping was quite possible even though up to 40 people sleep in the same room. There are only small lockers leaving few space for luggage. Larger storage is available but costs extra. The staff is friendly but kind of stressed out because of a lot of customers. Also English is not always spoken nor understood.

I used a economic capsule. Good for traveling business man with little luggage. I had a lot of luggage and the luggage storage was in a different floor to my capsule, so it was very difficult to access. It was very hot at night, woke up a few times. Might try a premium capsule next time.

It was by far the worst place I stayed in all of Japan. It was hot, sweaty, smelly, dim yellow lighting throughout and at least Y1500 more expensive per night than far far nicer hostels in Shinjuku. They take all your possessions as soon as you get there and put them in lockers, hand you a robe you have to wear when you're there and a wrist band with a number and a key as if your in some POW camp. It's good having an onsen but as far as they go this one isn't even that good.

• 18th Feb 2015

This is right up there with the best hostels around. Right in the middle of a really interesting part of Tokyo but very accessible from the Subway (airport line). The beds are very comfortable and the en suite was very clean. The best thing is the staff - they are fantastic and so friendly. Highly recommend!

I did not enjoy this stay at all. The whole hotel is hot all the time and you literally sleep in your own sweat, it's a hot box in the capsules. Also every time you leave or arrive at the hotel you have to get changed into there cloths which make it feel like a prison. Every morning you have to check out at 10 and then check back in at 3, it's a really dumb system. They don't allow tattoos and the showers are a public bath. Worth 1 night in capsules for the experience, but I wouldn't do it here.

Stayed one night for a capsule hotel experience. The place was fine but the whole hotel was very hot, without sufficient air conditioning, even though it was cold outside. This did make the whole stay a little unpleasant. Japanese style baths/onsen was fine - but as a westerner make sure you know the etiquette for using these. Very clean. Wifi worked well.

Should have more front desk workers who can speak English.

• 4th Jan 2015

You get what you pay for. The main floor smells like a gym locker. Its in a pretty sketchy part of town. Its drab and depressing. The capsules were very clean though. But its crazy cheap, so its got that going for it!

• 31st Dec 2014

Good location near Shinjuku station but very few other travellers in the hostel. When I was there 95% of other guests were Japanese business men. It is certainly an experience staying in a capsule hotel and I would possibly recommend it for one night to experience it and all the unusual things that go with it. Ie you get issued with prison uniform, I mean pyjamas! Communal baths and showers! And of course sleeping in a capsule. But one night is definately enough, there are other better options.

This was my first experience in a capsule hotel, indeed my first experience arriving in Japan. The staff at Green Plaza Shinjuku are very, very friendly. Every staff member I asked took time to help me understand how the "system" works - even if things were very busy at the time. Aside from a clean, large-enough capsule, the Green Plaza offers several floors' worth of infrastructure which would qualify as "wellness" in the West. A large public bath area, TV room with comfy reclining chairs etc.

• 4th Dec 2014

Awesome capsule hotel. Was unfortunate enough to not get a luxury capsule so I didn't have a plug to charge my phone. WiFi doesn't work in business area that you can charge your phone. Only thing that sucked. Other than that being able to get a meal, massage, alcohol and chill under one roof is amazing! Fantastic location too. English speaking staff made check in a breeze

As the establishment catered mainly to native japanese, while the staff were nice, I found communication in english a little difficult, and also found it difficult learning all the hostel customs such as taking your shoes off and storing them in the locker.

Staff very bad. I speak English and the staff spoke little english. When he asked about tattoos he misunderstood me and refused to let me stay and threatened to call police. I was calm the entire ordeal. After 10 mins telling I'm I have no tattoos and offering to take my clothes off he sent another person over which allowed me to stay. It was an ok hostel but I would never return here. Seems more set up for the locals than for travelers! Not recommended!

Green Plaza Shinjuku Capsule offers a very authentic Japanese capsule hotel experience. Most of the guests are Japanese, and there are very few accommodations for the western ways of doing things (e.g. no private showers at all, only a giant public bath room). The place is definitely cold and institutional, and you'll feel like the odd man out, but it's meant as a cheap place to stay and that's it. I think it's something that a westerner should try for one night, and one night only.