Green Plaza Shinjuku Capsule Reviews

1-29-2 Kabukichyo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan

Staff very bad. I speak English and the staff spoke little english. When he asked about tattoos he misunderstood me and refused to let me stay and threatened to call police. I was calm the entire ordeal. After 10 mins telling I'm I have no tattoos and offering to take my clothes off he sent another person over which allowed me to stay. It was an ok hostel but I would never return here. Seems more set up for the locals than for travelers! Not recommended!

Of course it is nothing like a nice comfy hostel, but definitely an experience one should have, when being in Japan. It is located just in Shinjuku. The Public Baths and Sauna are available all the time. Staff's English isn't that good, but that's no problem.

Staying at a capsule hotel (especially this one) is a much different experience than staying in a hostel. For example, even when staying multiple nights you have to check out at 10am sharp (or be charged with late checkout fees of 270 yen per 30 mins) and then check in again at 3pm. So if you had a big night in Shinjuku etc then you can't have a lie in and you have to leave the premisies or pay over 2,000 yen to use the rest area/spa facilities during the day.

Very convenient location, staff speak English. My capsule didn't have Wifi, though, but fortunately I had planned for that.

Nothing like the pictures, felt like a young offenders home, no wifi in capsule only in smoking room...great if you smoke but if you dont then it was a no go... male female separation felt very wierd and some very strange people in there. All in all not a great experience. As for trying everything once, dont bother. Misled by hostel world with the pictures and bio and felt let down. Luckily found an air bnb that was amazing value for the next 4 days.

• 24th Aug 2014

This is an overnight spa for Japanese businessmen who are in town for a meeting or missed last train home. Unique local experience, there are actually very few foreigners staying here. No tattoos allowed: they are very strict since the target audience is not Westerners. Check in, put stuff into locker, head out on the town then come back to use the public bath and crash for the night. One night stay at a time: every day is a new locker and new check in. Try outdoor cold jacuzzi during summer.

• 20th Aug 2014

For new Japanese experience, just one or two nights are good enough. I moved to another hostel after a night here. I wish it was cheaper though it was in the main city center. Small capsule and public bath was okay, but it's not a hostel. It's mainly a public bath with a little resting capsule. Travelers should be all alone unless they have a company. It's good for taking a quiet rest. But again, it's quite a lot of money to spend.

My capsule cost 3,500 yen for 1 night, and it didn't include an AC plug for devices or wifi. Furthermore, the lockers were very thin; my backpack barely fit and my carry-on luggage could not. There are many positives though: there's a restaurant on the 5th floor that is reasonably priced. The hotel and restaurant staff are very friendly. Vending machines and restaurant are charged to your account via wristband, and the facilities are clean. Great location (Shinjuku). Good, but overpriced.

The location is nice and all, and the capsule thing is something that you should experience at least once. Apart from that, it is just a mediocre place. What made me give low reviews is the reception part, where you get in the same line with the customers who only came to use the spas. Therefore sometimes just to drop your key or get your shoes from the locker, you need to wait for 20 minutes on the queue. That is not very efficient. I am not even speaking about the no tattoo rule.

Great experience, sleeping in the tube is the least important thing. Enjoy the japanese swimming pool, massages, etc.

I was rejected for my tattoos and I didn't get my deposit back.

This capsule hotel was probably the most Japanese experience of my whole trip. Reasonably clean. Be aware that if you stay there for more than one day, you have to check out in the morning an re-check in in the afternoon.

It is what you expect from a capsule hostel, good facilities and clean place, the presence of an onsen inside is a very good news. Not much in terms of atmosphere and the fact you basically have to check out and check in again every day sucks, but it's worth trying it for a "one day experience in a capsule hotel".

Good place to stay for a night if you want the capsule hostel experience. The capsule wasn't as small as I thought it would be. When booking, if you want wifi and powerpoints, make sure you tell them because I think some capsules don't have them. All in all a good experience for the night

• 29th Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Needed to do this at least once. It was... strange!

An interesting experience with lots of insights into Japanese corporate life!

It's a great experience for one night, but not really suited for travelers. The lockers are so narrow that my bag did not fit in and a suitcase has to be stored at the reception. The experience however is surreal and definitely worth checking out. I recommend never to book two nights though, as you are supposed to check out before 10am and can only get back at 3pm.

PROS: Location, price, onsen, novelty of a futuristic capsule bed CONS: Check out everyday at 10AM, all luggage has to go to the Cloak Room, the lockers are tiny and for everyday small things

I have been refused because I have a tatoo.. Thing I can understand, but I did never read something about this during my reservation process on hostelwolrd.. my 12,5% percent have been lost, since they refused to refound them... So, a bad experience, and I nearly slept on the street, since It was a very crowded weekend on tokyo, thanks to a sport event...

• 24th May 2014

NIGHTMARE! I wanted to stay here with my friend as a cheap option. I lived in Japan for 9 months before this trip with tattoos and had no problem. When I showed up at this hotel they would not let me stay, no exceptions. They also would not help me find a different hotel. I was left to wander the streets late at night looking for a place to stay. Do not book if you have tattoos!!

• 24th May 2014