Green Plaza Shinjuku Capsule Reviews

1-29-2 Kabukichyo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan

This is an overnight spa for Japanese businessmen who are in town for a meeting or missed last train home. Unique local experience, there are actually very few foreigners staying here. No tattoos allowed: they are very strict since the target audience is not Westerners. Check in, put stuff into locker, head out on the town then come back to use the public bath and crash for the night. One night stay at a time: every day is a new locker and new check in. Try outdoor cold jacuzzi during summer.

• 20th Aug 2014

My capsule cost 3,500 yen for 1 night, and it didn't include an AC plug for devices or wifi. Furthermore, the lockers were very thin; my backpack barely fit and my carry-on luggage could not. There are many positives though: there's a restaurant on the 5th floor that is reasonably priced. The hotel and restaurant staff are very friendly. Vending machines and restaurant are charged to your account via wristband, and the facilities are clean. Great location (Shinjuku). Good, but overpriced.

The location is nice and all, and the capsule thing is something that you should experience at least once. Apart from that, it is just a mediocre place. What made me give low reviews is the reception part, where you get in the same line with the customers who only came to use the spas. Therefore sometimes just to drop your key or get your shoes from the locker, you need to wait for 20 minutes on the queue. That is not very efficient. I am not even speaking about the no tattoo rule.

Great experience, sleeping in the tube is the least important thing. Enjoy the japanese swimming pool, massages, etc.

This capsule hotel was probably the most Japanese experience of my whole trip. Reasonably clean. Be aware that if you stay there for more than one day, you have to check out in the morning an re-check in in the afternoon.

It is what you expect from a capsule hostel, good facilities and clean place, the presence of an onsen inside is a very good news. Not much in terms of atmosphere and the fact you basically have to check out and check in again every day sucks, but it's worth trying it for a "one day experience in a capsule hotel".

Good place to stay for a night if you want the capsule hostel experience. The capsule wasn't as small as I thought it would be. When booking, if you want wifi and powerpoints, make sure you tell them because I think some capsules don't have them. All in all a good experience for the night

• 29th Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Needed to do this at least once. It was... strange!

An interesting experience with lots of insights into Japanese corporate life!

It's a great experience for one night, but not really suited for travelers. The lockers are so narrow that my bag did not fit in and a suitcase has to be stored at the reception. The experience however is surreal and definitely worth checking out. I recommend never to book two nights though, as you are supposed to check out before 10am and can only get back at 3pm.

PROS: Location, price, onsen, novelty of a futuristic capsule bed CONS: Check out everyday at 10AM, all luggage has to go to the Cloak Room, the lockers are tiny and for everyday small things

I have been refused because I have a tatoo.. Thing I can understand, but I did never read something about this during my reservation process on hostelwolrd.. my 12,5% percent have been lost, since they refused to refound them... So, a bad experience, and I nearly slept on the street, since It was a very crowded weekend on tokyo, thanks to a sport event...

• 24th May 2014

NIGHTMARE! I wanted to stay here with my friend as a cheap option. I lived in Japan for 9 months before this trip with tattoos and had no problem. When I showed up at this hotel they would not let me stay, no exceptions. They also would not help me find a different hotel. I was left to wander the streets late at night looking for a place to stay. Do not book if you have tattoos!!

• 24th May 2014

Most of the staff was very friendly. One of the staff I wasnt too fond of.. This hostel is in a great location, less than 5 min from JR Shinjuku and 1 minute from the JR station above it. This hostel was very clean. The capsules were not as sound proof from the other capsules as i could heard the guy behind me snore and the "door" is just a fabric pull down. Wifi and a working outlet are an extra charge. There is no bag storage after check out. Bath house was great and massages very convenient.

Decent enough place. Location right on the edge of Kabukicho is convenient, facilities are fine.

• 16th May 2014

Shouldn't be in hostelworld! At the door the sign says sauna, but nothing about hostel, or capsule hotel, so you need to figure out that that's the place. No one in the reception speaks english, you leave your bag at a cloackroom and everytime you need something, you're supposed to ask them, the capsule was too small (I'm 1,83m) and the whole floor smells like fried stuff, even inside the capsule.The worst was the bathroom, that you share with 20 old creepy japanese men, all naked - no privacy

A great experience if youre looking to stay in a capsule hotel for a night or two. The culture is kind of weird. Since its filled with Japanese business men people typically dont speak to each other. All the same, it was a relaxing stay. It was nice taking a bath, then getting into the pjs they supply you with and heading to sleep.

Not an ideal location for foreigners. Staff was nice but didn't speak much English. Rooms with wifi cost about $50 more a night than regular rooms, and there are no outlets anywhere that can be used.

• 9th May 2014

Great experience staying here for the whole capsule experience. I'm 6'3 tall and was fine sleeping in. I cleaned up in the onsen and even got a nice foot massage for 20 more. Nice lounges and full service for drink and food. Entertaining areas were great. You get a wrist band to charge anything you add or get. Then pay on check out if you use it. I had a few beers and the foot massage so a little more but enjoyed it much. For the night time close to the Robot Restaurant I recommend that..

Yet another dehumanizing experience in Japan- like a parking garage for people, located in a seedy, hard-to-find part of Shinjuku. The staff did OK under the circumstances I suppose, but were rather curt at times. No power sockets in the capsules, because this was considered a "deluxe option"? Please. Honestly, I don't know what else I expected for under 4000 yen in Shinjuku. My bad.