Guest House Kyoto

Fabulous 525 Total Reviews

• Australia, Male, 31-40
31st Dec 2016
5.7

The man who runs the place was very strict. You couldn't wear shoes inside or your own sandals/thongues . They gave us some blue slippers to wear and then came into our room while we were out to take them back. Having to walk down to the ground level for a shower is a pain. Lots of rules and no atmosphere. We had a double room which was an uncomfortable bunk bed. There was water coming into the window seals. I would recommend a hotel as opposed to this place unless you want to be back at school!

26th Nov 2016

This hostel is good for those who like to be nearer to Kyoto Station. Or who prefer quiet neighborhood. Personally I prefer to stay near Gion since as a tourist there are more things to see day and night there. I stayed in the hostel for 2 nights since I needed to be near the Station to meet ppl. Hostel is good and meets all my need. Bear in mind, it takes 18 minutes walk from Kyoto Station. I am a slow walker so i guess a fast walker can do it in 15 mins. Internet is good. Staff is helpful.

• Australia, Female, 41+
25th Nov 2016

Very easy to find,clean great staff. We had a room downstairs close to bathroom. A bit noisy for me but my travelling companions didn't notice. Staff were very helpful with directions and other travel arrangements. Great little eating house across the road.

• leslie_dyson8301
  • England, Male, 41+
15th Nov 2016

Nice guest house, handy location would stay there again if in Japan.

• USA, Female, 31-40
25th Oct 2016
5.4

First of all, this was my first time at hostel and I had a horrible experience at Guest House Kyoto. There are a few reasons that I am happy to elaborate. 1 ) When I booked the private room, I saw two separate twin beds. Upon arrival, I had bunk bed instead. 2) The room had a really bad odor, almost like bad body odor that was not clean. 3) I did not expect to have the owners live in hostel. I felt uncomfortable. I had booked 6 nights and left the place after one night.

• Colombia, Female, 25-30
21st Oct 2016
4.6

The owner is not a nice person. The place is SUPER NOICY, I got woken up everyday by the people drying their hair, and gettting into the shower, or the owner cleaning the showers with a roll on thing that was very very noicy. PRivate rooms are expensive and do not have private bathroom. The location sucks, it not close to anyhing, and the neighborhood is the worst place in kyoto, there are no restaurants or anything fun to do around. It takes 40 min by bus to get to any cool place in Kyoto.

I’m afraid that you have the wrong information. We have many Japanese-style restaurants near our hostel. It seems to me that you didn’t notice that because of no English signboard. And you can see Nishi Honganji and Higashi Honganji which are two large temples in the city. It will take 5 minutes from our guest house by walk. And only 2 minutes to Kyoto aquarium which is considered to be the best cool place by young Japanese people. You can check the Google map as a proof.

9th Oct 2016

Very kind and helpful staff. The hostel was very clean and spacious. All of the normal amenities were available if needed. The location was close to the train station and very close to the Kyoto Aquarium (5 minute walk). I would definitely stay again and recommend.

• Israel, Female, 25-30
7th Oct 2016
3.7

The big advantage is that it is close to Kyoto station. You can't take a shower between midnight - 05:00amlll. There's no common area really, the owner is very "hands in" - makes sure you put on shoes when you go out, keeps telling you to whisper at night.. No locks for lockers, no curtain.

We have big common space on the roof. Most guests go to the common area for drinking beer and taking conversation. You didn't notice it probably because you stayed in mixed dorm on the 1st floor. And you didn't go up to the top landing. Unfortunately some complaints were issued by other guests about your bad manner. So I couldn't help but watch your behavior.