Guest House Kyoto Reviews

401-1 Teppo-cho, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan

This hostel is good, the staff are friendly & helpful. Pin pad access in the evening is good & value for money isn't too bad. However, the facilities are terrible for the number of people they accommodate here - only 2 showers, both on the 1st floor, which is a bit inconvenient when you are on the 3rd floor. I waited for 20 minutes to have a shower before giving up. The directions to get here also aren't the best - look on google before you try to get here. Overall, good but not great

Good and clean hostel with all the basic facilities that you need. Well equipped kitchen, clean showers and good bedding. The location is quite good and the bike hire is cheap. We were given a good orientation by the manager of the hostel and facilities. Would stay here again and recommend to others.

the hostel is too expensive and not value for money

Your opinion is not very impartial. Our room charge is the average compare with other guest houses near Kyoto station. You can easily confirm the room charge list of all hostels over the Internet. If you stay in a hotel or ryokan (Japanese-style inn), you have to pay more than 10,000 JPY for one night at the least on the date you requested the room.

Very clean and with complete facilities. I like the atmosphere and the place is so quiet.

Professionally run hostel, about a 10-15 min walk with luggage from the station. Station has nice, cheap food options. Check out the place opposite the hostel too. Nice that owners let you use their kitchen at certain times. Lockers and fridge are good. Saw owner cleaning every day. Fresh flat sheet, top sheet and pillow case, were the duvet covers fresh every time? Our room smelled a little musty despite the guest turnover and I wondered if it was this? Top bunk needed a wipe as things left.

The hostel is ok, very clean, no common room, the staff not friendly at all and not very helpfull. The location is close to kyoto station wich is good for the arrival( you can walk) and for day trips, but its very uncomfortable to have walk around at night, 40 min walking distance from the city centre and buses end at 23.30/24.00

Very friendly and nice staff. Pillows could have been better and there isn't much of an atmosphere that helps solo travellers mingle. Great stay otherwise.

Very cosy place and perfectly clean. All necessary equipment available. Very friendly service and a perfect location close to Kyoto station. I can recommend this hostel.

• 27th Nov 2015

Old facilities. No common area to hang out and meet people. Staff had low energy and not really smiling

We have a common kitchen and dining on the 2nd floor. And there is a big common space on the rooftop where you can enjoy a view of the five-storied pagoda of Toji temple. You didn't notice that probably because you stayed in a mixed dorm on the 1st floor and didn't go upstairs.

Very clean hostel, nice (and direct) staff, good location. For those who leave early and get home late but wish to stay at a clean hostel to get some good rest, this is an ideal choice.

• 10th Nov 2015

The only reccomendation I would give would be to get new beds, as these are very over-used and so hard on on your back when sleeping, it isn't just because it is Japanese style photon, I've slept on many Japanese style, all have been comfy, but I struggled to sleep on this. Otherwise, pretty good accommodation :)

Very quit place, clean and the owner was very helpful. Would stay again

Please write in "how to go to the hostel" that people should turn left in the street before ENEOS gas station.

We didn't understand why the owner didn't accept visa card for the paiement of our room... In the reception hall the owner is behind his computer, all is modern... so we didn't understand !!! When we travel, we don't want to ave a lot of cash in our pockets...

This is a great guest house/hostel and I would absolutely recommend people to stay here. Some people have commented on the location, which I find odd as we think it's perfectly located. It's super close to Kyoto station and there's busses just around the corner ready to take you anywhere. Moreover, the host and hostess are so friendly and helpful and will be happy to give you instructions on where to go and how to get there.

Quite misleading about the vicinity of the hostel from Kyoto station. We read the review is about 550 m distance from the station. However it was definitely more than 800m from the station. The facilities is not very convenient as shower room is at downstairs and mixed gender.

Really enjoyed my time here, Kyoto's a beautiful place and Guest House Kyoto was a great location to be based at. I didn't know about the common room kitchen though until I was moved to the upper floor (stayed an extra night), so during the intro a mention of that would be good. If I'm back in Kyoto this hostel will certainly be top of my list.

The hotel has everything you need, although there are times of use of everything. Not the most comfortable beds but lots of buses to the area to get round Kyoto easily. Staff were very helpful

Just fine in a quiet area (10 min from station) With the bikes you can go anywhere!

if you are looking for affordable and easy access to KYOTO Station, this stay only 1KM away, though it needs mapping skill to locate this stay. And thanks to its easy and readable map guide, we have no problem finding this stay.