HI-Vancouver Jericho Beach Reviews

1515 Discovery Street, Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada

Great stay, very helpful and accommodating staff.

• 12th Sep 2015

Stayed in the "18 bed mixed dorm" - the bunks were partitioned which gave them a great deal of privacy which was nice. Hostel is walking distance to Jericho beach and Spanish banks beach which are beautiful. Downtown is quite far, but can be reached by bus. Main problem with the facilities were the showers (not very clean, lack of pressure), however overall it was a great stay!

Unclean kitchen. Guests didn't cleanup after themselves and no one was available to keep the kitchen clean. Very unsanitary.

• 31st Aug 2015

Interesting that they charged me up to 10 more per night than they had told me in my confirmation email. Which added over fifty bucks to the total. Fortunately I showed them the original email, and the girl was very nice about resolving it, though it took a few days. Makes me wonder if the system does that routinely and just hope you don't notice. But kudos for refunding me the money and altogether a pleasant stay. One day the whole room smelled strongly of homeless person, not sure why.

• 30th Aug 2015

I enjoyed my stay at this hostel, its a bit further out of the city but there's a bus that takes you straight through Kitsilano and into Downtown. They also run a pretty good pub crawl to Kitsilano, cheap beers at the first place so take full advantage there, second place a little more expensive and then i recommend avoiding the last venue as it has a cover charge. The only bad things were the high price (which is cheaper than everywhere else), and a rude traveller (no fault of the hostel).

I really enjoyed my stay in this hostel. Staff was friendly, dorms were spacious and the kitchten was big and well equipped. The hostel is located next to the Jericho Beach, from where you can easily walk to the Spanish Banks. Perfect if you just want to relax or get over your jetlag, as I did. Downtown is a bit further away, but easily accessible by bus.

The front desk staff were fantastic, very friendly and helpful.

• 25th Aug 2015

The location on Jericho beach was beautiful and I enjoyed being slightly outside of the city. I would stay here again but would love to bring my bike to bike into the city. Regardless it was easy to get where we wanted to go by bus and taxi. The hostel itself was clean and basic. I did feel slightly uncomfortable going to and from the bathroom/shower in the AM when several guests were upstairs in the seating area waiting to check in (I assume). Just felt a little awkward.

• 22nd Aug 2015

Hi, Thanks for your comments and feedback. The shared spaces upstairs are for guests who have already checked in and tend to have better wifi signal. Bringing your bike is a great way to get around the city, and in case you don't end up bringing it next time, we have rentals here at the hostel. Cheers, Stephen - Manager

The hostel was a decent trek to get downtown or to any kind of night life, but it was so close to the beach that it made up for it. The room was good, but the doors are so loud! Bring ear plugs and you will probably have a great stay! The collection of guests was a bit odd, lots of older people. Not a party hostel, but a great budget friendly choice for a weekend away. The staff were the best part for sure.

Thank you for your comments. Yes, we are a bit of a journey to get downtown, but the beach and the neighborhood of Kitsilano tend to compensate for that. Of course, we agree that our staff are the best part! Stephen - Manager

I did not like this place at all. I understand that it used to be a military building but it is trying to be an international hostel, so it should look like that. Everything felt kind of broken and dirty, and unwelcoming. The lock to our room didnt work, so we slept with the door open (although the stuff found out about it around lunch??), one of the toilets didnt flush, bathrooms were small and not very clean. The kitchen was just disgusting. Wifi did not work properly.

Everything there was good. The only fact I didn't like was that it's far from the downtown.

• 13th Aug 2015
  • India

I enjoyed my stay. the only issue I had was that there wasn't outlets for plugging in my computer. and phone...one two prong outlet for 4 people. Also the pans were mostly teflon coated and most were scratched and peeling.

• 12th Aug 2015