Hostel Kyotokko (ex Kyoto Cheapest Inn) Reviews

783 Sabamatsu-cho, Marutamachi-dori Matsuyacyo Nis, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan

Worst directions ever to the hostel. They make you pay for a map and to leave your luggage. Deposits for everything. Wifi doesn't work Really dirty beds The showers are in the living room where everyone eats breakfast and are behind some curtains and there are only 2 showers The bedroom was also a storage area for the hostel Positives: free breakfast

I liked this place a lot for its rooftop garden! Nice view from up there. Staff is friendly, breakfast is good, bathrooms are clean, beds are comfy, location is great near Nijo castle. Deffo a good place to stay in Kyoto.

Overall good. Facilities are good but not appropriately displayed. For so many beds, rooms remains spacious.

This place has all the character of a dried apricot. And they charge for left luggage.

Short walk to the subway. Super close to the bus and market. Beds are basic but I slept fine. WIFI was great from dorm room. All showers and sinks are on main floor.

Directions are not the easiest way to get to the hostel once you are at Nijojo Station but once you find the place it's very well located and the roof top garden is pretty cool! ps: you have to not mind snoaring, 20bed dormitory is A LOT of people

Ad says 10 people, mixed share but there were 14. No ventilation in the room with stale air, lifts cannot be used for some reason they are reserved only for "staff" use. The showers are dirty even by hostel standards. The pillows I was given had stains on them but a pillow-case was provided. It's cheap but for $5 extra, I got a much much better, non-shared room in another hostel with absolutely no complaints.

It was nice to have a little breakfast free of charge. The room was a bit smelly due to other travellers but that wasn't hostels fault. Not the best sleep I got here but the price was reasonable with good location.

The hostel is not very clean. If it's cheap it doesn't mean that it needs to be dirty. Plus it has not personality. A dormitory can be cute if you pay attention to details but this is not the case.

Very helpful staff and comfortable beds. The common area is a bit small and the showers could use some work but considering the price I'd say it's in good condition.

This was adequate accommodation and it was no problem staying there. It was cheap which was great, and we enjoyed the convenience of a free breakfast. They had lots of helpful information such as nearby subway stations and maps etc. The location was not great for us and next time I think we will chose to pay more for more comfort. Depends what you prioritise on your trip.

At the time I was there, the Wifi connectivity was horrible, no internet at all. I've used the public computer, but I would rather have handled my private conversations with friends and family on my own devices. Everything else seemed fine for the hostel.

Nice place close to the Nijo Castel/Imperial Palace and manga Museum. For 1 or 2 nights it is ok. However the kitchen is very small.

It is easy to arrive since Nijo Castle is an easy place to locate. Price is really good and staff is great.

Good security is probably the best thing I can say about kyotokko. Had to ask for the supposedly provided bedding and towels. Bloodstains on carpet, foul smell and beyond mouldy shower curtain in bathroom. Worlds thinnest futons suck the warmth out of you into the floor. Looks nothing at all like it's photos. Have stayed in some seedy hostels before but this one was the most depressing and dissapointing yet.

Sleeping in the 20 Bed dorm wasn't really worth the price. The place is accessible by bus from the station, maybe a 5-10 minute walk which was ok. I arrived and headed straight out so didn't really spend too much time there.

I stayed there because I had no other choice : avoid as well if you can. It is a hostel that is definitely the worst in all the ones I've done in Japan. There are no lockers, dorms are 20 people on each floor, with difficulty to access plugs, WiFi is intermittent, and only 2 showers for the whole building... I think the wait made some of the clients skip showers from the smell that was in the room. Not recommended

Not enough showers for the amount of people in the hostel. Breakfast was good though!

If you're able to stay elsewhere - do so! Best thing to say would be the staff was ok. 1 of 2 computers was nearly broken, wifi didn't work and no one fixed it after several requests from different guests, 3 medium clean showers for alot of people, mixed dorm had even more (metal framed military style) beds then in the description and no recognisable AC. Ultimately it felt like this hostel is build for profit not for having a good time & interest for people. Breakfast was ok btw ;-)

We stayed in a private suite with an ensure bathroom. Room was spacious and clean. Bathroom was a little small, and the tap leaked leaving the bathroom floor to be wet at all times. No fan in the bathroom so the bathroom was constantly moist. We had a nice stay here otherwise. Free breakfast in the morning was a bonus even though it was just coffee, tea and toast. Would stay here again

• 21st Nov 2013