Hotel Kawase Tokyo and Capsule Reviews

2-19-14 Kaminarimon, Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan

Although the capsule is old; the pillow, sheet, and the quilt is clean. The location is at just out of Asakusa subway station and close to Kaminarimon area. Staff is extremely friendly, and common room is nice. The down side is that it's old, if someone smoke outside the room you will smell it, locker is quite small, thought there might be enough space to put your big luggage in the room. If there is next time, I may still live here cause of I like the staff here ^^

• 5th Apr 2014
  • Taiwan

Stayed there 2 times, quite liked it. Literally right above Asakusa station, but quiet. Nice service, but they are very clear about their rules (e.g. can't leave luggage after check out - not for a second!). The place is old and very 60s. Kind of a sci-fi submarine atmosphere, but spacey.

• 5th Apr 2014

I have travelled everywhere in the world. I stay at hostels, not because I have to, but it's because I want to. The dayshift staff at this hostel are extremely rude. There is virtually no social support here for a lone traveller. One staff member, not knowing that I understood the spoken Japanese language made comments about me that I found to be offensive. I would not recommend this hostel.

For the price it is excellent. Have visited various times and will go again. Not the cheapest place in Tokyo, but the price saved because of location (1 min walk to Asakusa station, Ginza Line) makes it cheaper than other hostels. My only complaint is that the booking dates seemed a bit broken. I wanted to book for 2 weeks, but availability was for only the first week. OK if fully booked, but I saw the 2nd week became free later. Had to make other arrangements at more expensive place

The best value for money in Tokyo! The principle of "Capsule Hotel" expanded to backpackers offers you an upgraded bunk with TV and fully curtained off space. Locker at the side of the bed, 24h reception, friendly staff, good wifi, showers, ...

I think for this price with this location is very good. I stayed here for 3 nights.And my stay go smoothly along my whole stay. There're every facility you need.Though it's not that new. The bad term in this hostel is toilet. It quite clean but it look too old and dirt .

• 11th Mar 2014
  • Thailand

Mixed feelings. On one hand, the staff was very accommodating and helpful. On the other hand, the facilities were very run down, cheap, not clean. The bathroom smelled. The lamp in my capsule fell onto me and then fell apart into pieces. Wasn't broken, so I could put it back together, but felt incredibly grotty and my fingers had a residue on them afterwards. The sheets were clean, I will give them that, but I did not feel safe nor did I feel comfortable. Glad it was only one quick, brief night.

it's a capsule so don't think of sleeping there more than one night. Everything is old, the capsule was old and smelly and the bathroom were just old and there was only one western style toilet. For that money, go to a hostel. If they would renovate the spaces and put new capsules it would be worth the money. Good thing: it was warm and silent.

Though no higher expectations about capsule, I think this one is poorer than normal capsule, staff can‘t understand english at all and not very nice and considerable. The most common service is a kind of luxury here. But for this price with the good location, you can’t expect any more. that's it.

Definitely not a place for foreign tourist. Its a japanese business hotel trying to convert into an international hostel, but far away from achieving it

Second time that I am staying at this Hotel/ Hostel/capsule. It has a great location in Asakusa, Tokyo, right next to the Metro station Asakusa. Both times a have been during low season, so the price was very convenient, the only 2 things that I do not like it is that people are allowed to smoke in the hall that is right outside the Dorm, so that annoyed me a lot. Toilet are not very clean, not dirty, but smelly.

Location is good, receptionists dont speak english....hufffttt.....n the place is so old.....not really recommended

the capsule room has just been upgraded with a flatscreen tv as well as better wifi reception..this is actually my 3rd return in 3 years~ highly recommended for budget traveller. for photos and review do visit http://hcvv.blogspot.com/2012/04/hostel-review-hotel-kawase-tokyo-and_21.html

Nice experience in Hotel Kawase. It's only 2 minutes walking from Asakusa station and very cheap. The bad points: not very new and only 1 bathroom for the ladies.

great value and surprisingly better than expected considering the price.

• 15th Jan 2014

Bad attitude from the recepcionist all time, if you wanna use wifi in the first floor there is not, if you wanna wait in the common area after check out is not allowed, if you spend some minutes more the recepcionist will ask you for money... so think twice in choice this option.

if you want someone to chat and have fun, this is not the right place. many locals stay long here. the good thing is privacy, and good sleep. the location is just a few steps from subway.

Let me provide a disclaimer for the low ratings: I never stayed here, and the reason why I didn't stay here would upset anyone if they experienced the same. I booked my hostel room at Hotel Kawase & Capsule about a week in advance, but somehow they didn't have my reservation. Either they just didn't process the reservation, or they had given my room away; regardless, I was very upset. They didn't let me use their computer to find another hotel. I was really unhappy with their customer service.

• 2nd Jan 2014

Value for money in Tokyo, a high living standard city.

I enjoyed my stay here. It's not the Ritz, but for the price and location, I feel it was the best place I could get. Despite the place being old, all the facilities worked great and they have fast wifi. Whenever you leave, don't forget your key! The staff will expect you to leave it with them anytime you leave. The staff themselves are very sweet... if you follow their rules. The older gentleman who runs the hotel is a pro at origami, so it's a good way to strike up a conversation with him.