Hotel Kawase Tokyo and Capsule Reviews

2-19-14 Kaminarimon, Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan

Aside from the location and value for money, this is one hotel who truly deserves that poorest rating. This hostel may have thought that tourist who are looking for affordable hotels are the poorest and should be treated unfairly. The Japanese lady in the reception was the rudest person i have ever met in my entire life of travelling. She must not be in the front line in the first place for she will continue to ruin the image of a fallen hotel. Teach the lady to be compassionate.

Very cheap capsule hostel, pretty far from city center, but with nice surroundings. Needs a renovation, capsules are really really old.

• 25th Sep 2014
  • Spain

If you need a cheap, well located place to stay in Tokyo then Hotel Kawase will suit your needs. Somewhere between a capsule hotel and a hostel the facilities are basic but if you are just looking for a base then you could do worse. We booked 2 nights at late notice thinking that we'd move if it was awful and ended up coming back when we came through Tokyo a second time. Less inviting for female travellers though due to communal washing facilities.

This is one of the cheapest and best located hostels in Toyko. It was only 1900yen a night and it's next to Asakusa station. Of course if it's that cheap then there has to be a reason. The whole hostel is filthy, everywhere around the bed was very dirty and dusty and falling apart but on the brightside, the linens were clean which is important. There is no atmosphere in the hostel, and the staff were all unfriendly and almost rude. But if you want somewhere cheap to stay, this is the place!

The hostel is really great and economical. The location is perfect to visit a lot of places in Tokyo.

• 10th Sep 2014
  • India

Wouldn't go back if you paid me! Of the numerous hostels I've stayed in years backpacking, the staff here were by the far the rudest I have met. At 10.02, I was standing by the entrance the women told me I must leave as it was after checkout. I told her that I had checked out 5 minutes ago but I was just looking for my wallet. She stood over me for the 5 minutes it took for me to find it, saying "hurry" "just go" every minute. Everything else was basic but the staff really got under my skin.

In all of the years I've travelled, I have never had a worse experience than at Kawase in Tokyo, and I don't mean this in any hyperbolic sense. It was dreadful. The most positive thing I can say about the place was at least the bathrooms were cleaned daily. I don't have enough words to describe everything that went wrong, but let me try: The staff was rude; the capsule was dirty and smelly; the staff was the rudest; the security was non-existant; the staff was offensively unhelpful and rude.

• 22nd Aug 2014

If you need a cheap place during your staying in Tokyo, this is very good. In August Japan is very humid, but air conditioner worked very well in the rooms. Around that area there are many cheap restaurants and Kaminari gate and Asakusa quarter, one of the most important monuments to see in Tokyo.

First time for me in a capsule hotel. Probably my last one...

A small hostel located in Asakusa (opposite end of Shinjuku on the JR Yamanote Line). Very close access to Asakusa subway station. There is staff on-site 24/7 (run by a family), they're friendly and helpful. Nice common room with TV and lots of seating. The bathing area is small, but has a small sauna and hot tub. Good wifi throughout the building. My one knock is bathrooms are kind of dirty, but I didn't mind much. I'd stay here again; good value for the cost.

Everything you need is good and clean. It has an old feel to it but that is what gives it character. Good value for money.

Pros: cheap, great location (30 seconds from Asakusa station), bedsheets are clean Cons: capsules are old, lockers are small, room had a not-so-nice smell Staff does not speak much english, except for this one lady who was the most rude person I met in Japan

Amazing place for the price. Beds are pretty comfortable and the facilities are fine. It's kind of far away from places like shibuya and shinjuku but you'll get there on the trains. Would stay here again

Great for the price. Reasonably comfortable for a short stay (1-2 nights). Rooms were nicely air conditioned.

Well, you get what you pay for, and this is the cheapest place in Tokyo, so do the math.

The bathrooms on the 4th floor are incredibly dirty. The bunk room is dark and very ugly. The common area sinks are fine. The sheets were clean. The 1st floor lobby area was okay.

• 20th Jul 2014

Although the staff and the people I met there were nice, the atmosphere in this place was quite dull. Some brightening up would be appreciated.

Very good place where to stay, free wifi, the capsule are awesome, ill go back there if ill go again to tokyo. The lady kept my luggage for one extra day when i checked out and she didnt charge me. If you are in tokyo go there!!! Next to the train station and close to the main attractions of the area!!!

• 7th Jul 2014

Good for the value. If you want a cheap night in tokyo

Location is fantastic, close to Subway and skytree. Staff is friendly