Ikoi-no-Ie Kyoto Reviews

885 Ushitora-cho, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto city, Kyoto, Japan

This was a great place to stay! I had the onl room on the roof, which was lovely. The room and bed were very comfortable, the staff nice, the bike rental great, and the setup offered a nice combination of personal and communal space. Highly recommended!

The staff was extremely kind and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable. The kitchen was clean and organized. The place in general was very nice. An excellent choice.

• 12th Jul 2014
  • Spain

Very nice area, very nice staff, but the amount of bathrooms is very limited.

• 10th Jul 2014

Fantastic location, 30 minute walk from Gion and Kawaramachi-dori and 10 minute walk from Kyoto station. Staff were OK but not much interaction was needed anyway bar payment and etc, and they recommended a cheap and delicious udon/donburi restaurant nearby that was greatly appreciated. The key barely worked for our room, but we didn't mind so much. Common room was passable. Goddam 'Stralians didn't respect the noise curfew though, and if you're reading this: please go to a damn bar in future.

• 9th Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

It is a bit confusing to have the reception in other building that is in a different block. Breakfast was good.

My father came to visit me in Japan, and we stayed at Ikoi-no-Ie during our time in Kyoto. They give directions from the subway, but really it's no more than a 10 - 15 minute walk. The staff is extremely helpful and speaks English. The rooms are very clean and are reasonably priced. They provide yukatas and tea ceremonies for an additional price. We were very impressed and sorry to go when we moved on in our travels. Would gladly stay again next time I come to Kyoto.

We chose the room with futons and were pleasantly surprised to get a small apartment! We loved it!

It was such a quirky little hostel, with ta tame mat floors and futons to sleep on, which me and my mum and brother loved. I liked the location as it wasn't too central and the staff were really helpful. The directions to the hostel need to be a bit clearer, as when we got to 'the small path next to the seven eleven,' they didn't tell us how long to walk for or other buildings we may walk past etc. but apart from that.

Beautful Hostel. Great traditional room. Nice Kitchen, good english speaking staff. Perfect

Although it's good value for money, the rooms are little cramped up.

• 29th May 2014

I stayed with my cousin and a friend in Ikoi-No-Ie last month. I can really say that the place is very safe & we felt very secured. I discovered 1 morning that I forgot the key on the keyhole of our door the night before, it was still there. It would have been a better experience if the house itself, the common area and receptionist area are in just one spot instead of in different buildings and different streets. The kimono experience was also great! Thanks to all the friendly staff.

• 25th May 2014
  • Philippines

We stayed here for 5 nights and were very happy with it. We stayed in the room on the ground floor next to the communal kitchen, which was great because it expanded our living space considerably. The tatami mats and futons were the furniture and it was all comfortable. The bathroom was very small but worked well. The staff was incredbily helpful. I highly recommend renting bikes from the hostel ($5-6 USD per day); we biked between 10-20 miles each day and saw all of Kyoto.

Great location, friendly stuff, good rooms - perfect! I would come again!

My fiancé and I chose to stay at ikoi-no-ie whilst exploring Kyoto for five days. We found the staff to be exemplary, all very helpful and very courteous. The rooms are what one would expect from a traditional ryokan and very clean, the shower and toilets are also very clean and well maintained. We both strongly recommend making use of the onsen and tea ceremony experiences at the hostel, the latter can be done with traditional kimono dressing which is great fun! Definitely recommend! 10/10!

• 28th Apr 2014

Excellent value for money. Fun place. Very central.

Definitely the best hostel we have stayed at in Japan! The location is in a beautiful part of time and very close to Kyoto station. The staff is fantastic, they made our entire stay feel like a fairy tale. Of course, the city itself helped too :)

• 18th Apr 2014

Very small rooms

They have a great jPanese breakfast that can be ordered additionally. It is really worth it! The house we stayed in was a bit too cold in the communal areas but the room had a heater so it wasn't too bad.

Very good free wi-fi 2 km from the nightlife Staff speak english very good