Jam Hostel Kyoto Gion Reviews

Tokiwacho170 Higashiyama Kyoto, Kyoto, Japan

Location is excellent. The hostel is in the city center (Gion). Department stores, restaurants, Kyohan station is nearby. You can even walk to Kiyomizu temple in 30 minutes. Room is clean and lockers are provided. However, room is too small. It's not recommend to people who bring a large suitcase with them. There's definitely no room for your suitcase... Small common space. Two clean showers and usually you don't need to line up for taking shower.

Good place. Just didn t like the fact that the staff enter the dorm at midnight to change the AC's filter...

Nice staff, great location, big rooms, and very clean. I wish it had a kitchen to use or a bigger lounge area, but it was still good value for money.

I didn't like staff barging into the room at night..made me not feel very safe

The location is right in the shopping and bar district. The room (4 beds female dormroom) was very small, even for a hostel. But for the price still good. They don't clean up every day. I staied five nights and the trash ban was changed once. Also the showerrooms were pretty dirty, never cleaned in five days... So if you have a low tolerance for dirt, i don't recommend this hostel. But i could blend it out, so it didn't really bother me and a had a really good time there.

The staff seemed to feel it was appropriate to come into our room-without knocking- well after we had gone to bed on both nights to change the dehumidifier. This could easily have been done earlier in the evening, and was incredibly inappropriate. They only had two toilets, kept no spare toilet paper, and only added more when we went outside (you had to leave the hostel and go into the bar next door to do this) to ask them to. There was no effort to enforce any sort of quiet hours either.

• 13th Jun 2014

The hostel is located very close to subway station and dinning area. If you like walking for short distance, near good where to buy good food and restaurant. I recommend you stay here.

Staff very unflexible - although they confirmed me via Email i Could Stay in the 8-Dorn with my friend (i Booked 4-ppl dorm) they didnt know about anything when i arrived there! When i asked to Change the dorm it was a Big Deal for them...however there were available beds every Night...Even when my friend asked to Change from a top bed to a bottom bed it was Not possible...

nice hostel, nice experience, good price, best location, but...why all those signs about penalties if you do this thing or another thing?? we are just turists, not robbers.. Btw I reccomend it!

Very nice hostel with a sake bar downstairs. We had lots of fun trying out the different sakes. Very small common room to eat, but a bar downstairs. No real luggage storage room, they put the stuff behind the bar downstairs, which opens to the public in mid-afternoon

The location of the hostel is quite good, and it has all the services a traveller needs (including laundry). The only "issue" of the place is that it really has no common space - the lounge room is actually the sake bar owned by the owners :-). Nevertheless, the place is good, clean, and has good value for money.

We must have gotten there on an off day, I've never been to such a quiet hostel! The location is excellent and you probably won't do better for the price.

• 10th May 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Extremely clean rooms/bathrooms and excellent value for the money. The location is also perfect for exploring the city on both sides of the river. I can't say much for the common space (only a small breakfast room), but the dorm itself is open enough to make meeting others possible. Overall, a positive experience!

The staff is really nice, they gave me many different kind of tips (ranging from how to buy this to where to eat that) and were super helpful. Everything is clean, and the area is very interesting (middle of Gion). However the lockers were too little to put a cabin-sized bag in it, and the beds were quite hard : after three days my back started to suffer from it. And there are only 2 bathrooms, but avoid peak hours and you'll be fine. Sad that there is no real lounge to meet people and chill out

I have spent some days at Jam Hostel in Tokyo Gion during the last weeks. I only have words of gratitude for the personal. Michinori Ikeda, Aiko and Hiro have been great hosts all the time. The hostel is brand new, secure, super clean and it's ubicated in the best kyoto area -lots of bars and clubs arround-. The sake bar is also a great place to relax and try their amazing selection of different kinds of sake. It's a place where I have spend good times that will remember. I recommend it 100%.

I really enjoyed my stay at Jam Hostel. It's conveniently located near the metro and a very short walk for much of the fun in Kyoto. The staff were friendly and kept the hostel spotless and clean despite how busy it was during my stay. While the common room was quite tiny, the Sake Bar below or right outside the hostel provided a nice atmosphere for guests to meet up and chat. I'd definitely recommend this hostel to anyone looking for a great, cheap, and near perfectly located hostel in Kyoto.

Nothing bad to say here. It was very clean, the lockers were of a good size and included with the rent of the bed, I had my own power outlet at my bed. The only downside really is it does not favour contact between people very much. Only if you hang at the sake bar on ground floor, but the tiny lounge with fridge and coffee maker on the top floor didn't make us want to hang and chat there. Otherwise, I had a very good stay and highly recommend it !

Great little hostel, one of the top three I've ever stayed in. Very clean with friendly staff and a great location. The only negatives are small niggly points, particularly not being able to check in between 1100h -1500h, although it is noted on the website. Also the washing machine can only be used by staff and between 1600h and 1900h, if someone else is already using it, you're out of luck. Mattresses are tatami style on bunks so very thin On the whole, would definitely stay again though

In a great location to see most of the temples by walking there. There is not a very big common area but with so much to do in Kyoto all during the day there isn't much need for one. The beds were comfy and the wifi worked well while sitting in bed. The check-in does not open until 3pm so make sure that you are there after 3pm only cause you will not be able to leave your bags there until 3pm. Great place to stay.

Fantastic bar, cosy and safe bedroom with plenty of space, perfect distance from the station/. 10/10 would pack again