Jam Hostel Kyoto Gion Reviews

Tokiwacho170 Higashiyama Kyoto, Kyoto, Japan

Excellent Location but we have to wait until 3 pm to check-in, so have to carry the luggage to sight seeing.

according to japanese standard, i think this hostel is not clean enough. the provided bathroom is not that good in functional, they even do not provide a hook or hanger and small useful object that easily find and install. they dont have elevator and you have to climb up on upper floor with your big luggage. the space in public area and in room is so tiny. for those how hold JR Pass, you will need to pay extra for subway fee in order to reach this place.

This was my first encounter with a hostel. Albeit a little small (I stayed in a four-bed female dorm), the rooms and washroom facilities were meticulously clean. There is air con and lockers, and there's no curfew. It lacks a bit of the lively hostel atmosphere I was expecting, but that didn't stop me from making friends with other people at the hostel. Location is right outside the Gion Shijo Keihan station, so pretty convenient. Overall it was an enjoyable stay.

• 14th Nov 2014

not being able to check-in until 3pm could be a nightmare if you're stuck outside with your bags. but it is a good hostel in a good location. and the bar downstairs is fun.

I stayed in the mixed dormitory. Overall experience at the hostel was very positive. Shower rooms and toilets were kept clean. Laundry service was good. On certain nights, I found that the room was a little warm. I brought it up to the receptionist and the issue was immediately resolved. On my check-out date, I was late an hour due to the rain and train delay that held my return to the hostel. They were kind enough to not charge me the late-charges. I am very grateful and appreciative of them.

• 29th Oct 2014
  • Malaysia

You can find better and cheaper options in kyoto.

Couldn't have chosen a better place to stay for my first visit to Kyoto. The ownership and their staff were very accomadatimg and would recommend Jam Hostel to any friend or family member. Will look forward to my next visit

• 29th Sep 2014

Nice Sake bar downstairs. Only thing lacking for us was a ricecooker or a microwave. The staff warmed up our breakfast for us during the morning though,

It's central... Small, No many facilities but it's ok and affordable for this location in kyoto...

Great location on the border of downtown and Gion. Easy bus ride from Kyoto Station. Great walking areas nearby. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were kept clean. Small lockers were available. Nice little balcony with great view. No kitchen, but toaster oven, tea kettle, and fridge were handy. Showers and toilets were clean. Sake bar was also cozy and tasty. Would definitely stay here again.

Great place to stay, with an excellent and nice staff. The bar downfloor is a good way to meet other guests.

Great place in superb location. Great friendly staff.

• 9th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

Good place to stay. There are drinks and food for sale in the commonroom which can make it a pleasant stay if you want to meet up with other travellers.

If you could add a microwave in the kitchen, you guys would be all set. Otherwise, no issues with your hostel. Thanks.

Staff is friendly

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

Location is excellent. The hostel is in the city center (Gion). Department stores, restaurants, Kyohan station is nearby. You can even walk to Kiyomizu temple in 30 minutes. Room is clean and lockers are provided. However, room is too small. It's not recommend to people who bring a large suitcase with them. There's definitely no room for your suitcase... Small common space. Two clean showers and usually you don't need to line up for taking shower.

Good place. Just didn t like the fact that the staff enter the dorm at midnight to change the AC's filter...

It was a really nice Hostel ! and it was so close to city it was great. the rooms was clean and nice people there too.

Nice staff, great location, big rooms, and very clean. I wish it had a kitchen to use or a bigger lounge area, but it was still good value for money.

I didn't like staff barging into the room at night..made me not feel very safe