Jiyujin Reviews

524,Izumi-cho,gojo-sagaru, higashidouindori,shimogyou-ku, Kyoto, Japan

very friendly and helpful staff. clean and comfortable rooms.

• 28th May 2014
  • Switzerland

This was one of my favourite hostels in Japan. I loved the staff, they were so kind and caring, they always went out of their way to see how you were and offer any help. The location is great, a minute walk to the subway station, or only 10mins from Kyoto JR station. The facilities were clean and the rooms were spacious, with a nice common area that is opened all night. A perfect choice to stay while visiting Kyoto!

Fantastic staff, great atmosphere and we were well looked after. Only minor complaints were that the 4 bed private room with tatami mats had a strange smell, and the wifi was problematic in the room too. Opening the windows up fixed the smell, and the wifi got a bit better after the first night. Other than that, it was amazing and would definitely come back/recommend to others.

This is a very great place to stay. The stuff were really nice and helpful. I asked on how to get to a place, Sayaka-san gave me very detailed instructions with annotated maps. I enjoyed my staying there and enjoy chatting with them.

I've stayed in many hostels while traveling in Europe, but this was my first time in Asia, and I couldn't have asked for a better time. It was clean and the staff was incredible! The common room had a laptop and TV, kitchen and a fridge so it was very well equipped. Bath tub AND showers too! I stayed in the 4-person female dorm, but every bed had it own curtain and I felt much more secure than many other places I've stayed. Everyone there was great!

The staff was wonderful! They really helped us find activities and good restaurants. They really made our stay enjoyable. The rooms are a bit small but they are still quite nice. The facilities were really clean and private. We really enjoyed the fact that there was a bath tub.

This is my first time as a lone traveller and also hostel user. I was very impressed with this hostel. I was expecting noise and lack of hygiene. I got neither at Jiyujin. I was impressed with the room (plenty of space in my bunk area) and plenty of space to store my suitcase. The common room (tea & coffee supplied free of charge) showers and bathroom all immaculate. Staff are extremely helpful and also very interested in why you are there and where you are intending to go.

I liked the big size bunk bed with curtain all around each bed. This gave a spacious enough privacy! Staff are very friendly.

The hostel was great for anyone looking to experience Kyoto and make some friends along the way.

Lovely, little ryokan/backpackers. The kitchen had plenty of facilties. It was close to the subway line and if you wanted a longer walk you could easily get to Kyoto station in 20 minutes. I only spent 2 night here in a single room. The kitchen had plenty of things to use, and was a social place. The receptionist let me borrow an alarm clock to wake up early to catch a flight. They provided a map of the nearby area which was very convenient. Free Wi-fi and computer. Would stay here again.

unfortunately we had no towels. I also missed a bar in the hostel

We sell hand towels (100 yen/each) and we rent bath towels (150 yen/each) in our hostel.

Had an absolutely fantastic time here. It's a really new and clean hostel with very friendly staff, in a convenient location just a few minutes from the metro. It's rather small with about 20 beds total but this led to a quite familial atmosphere in the common room.

Best stay I had in Kyoto during many hotel and inn, staff family are very friendly and helpful and environment is great.

Great hostel! Lovely staff, good beds with curtains around each individual bunk so it can be very private and block out the light. There are keys for each room. Staff give excellent directions and maps. Only thing is there is no staff between certain hours of day so I had to leave my luggage at the station for the day before checking in. Otherwise really good and super clean.

• 16th Apr 2014

cleanliness was what i like the most!!! facilities was soso > pay for rent bike,towel

Very good guest house. Staff is very helpful and nice. Good location as you are close to big street but the guest house is located in a small and quiet street. Everything is clean and you have everything for cooking or cleaning clothes.

We had a nice stay at guesthouse Jiyujin. It is a bit far from Gion and the city center but close to subway station and at a walking distance from JR Kyoto station. The room was clean but quite small. There were enough shared toilets if only a few showers. Kitchen was handy for having breakfast. Staff was helpful. There were bikes you could rent at the hostel. Not a fancy place but friendly and welcoming and good value for expensive Kyoto.

staff were excellent very helpful and positive. It was great to see their happy faces when we came in

Best hostel I stayed at in Japan. Miho and Sayaka, I love you girls. Very friendly and helpful! Location is great, spacious rooms and only four beds to a room. Very clean and ample toilets and showers. Nice common room where you can prepare basic meals, etc. Balcony area good to chill in the afternoon sun. No problems with Wi-Fi. Great value hostel that I would definitely return to when I go back to Kyoto. I'm glad the girls loved the Koala bear I gave them and I loved the cake and souvenir :-)

The staff were incredibly friendly, lovely and helpful. We felt very welcomed. The hostel was clean, comfortable and had all the necessities. Our room was quite small but this was expected, particularly in Japan. We would recommend Jiyujin as a great value stay to other travellers.