Khaosan Kyoto Guest House Reviews

568 Nakanocho, Bukkoji-agaru, Teramachi-dori, Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto, Japan

1976 Total Reviews

Helpful and friendly staff, ground floor has computers for access and big room for luggage storage. Fantastic location in the city center, nearby shopping, restaurants, subway, various maps available. However the showers and toilets seemed lacking - the floor my brother and I were on had one toilet and one shower (which was women only so he had to go to another floor), I'd imagine that in a busy season getting to shower would be competitive. Otherwise great place!

I cannot find any thing that I didn't like. Perfect.

The only thing that they need for perfection it's the bikes!

• 1st Feb 2014
  • Mexico

I had a great time at Khaosan Kyoto Guesthouse. The staff actually upgraded my bed at no extra cost. There was a great Rakugo party one night where I got introduced to another aspect of Japanese culture. The best part, however, is the other guests. I had so many long, interesting conversations ... it`s a hub of intellectual people from around the world.

I had a great time, the best hostel in which I've stayed. Clean facilities, respectful yet engaging guests. Great staff. Thanks!

If you are looking for a party, this city is not it. If you are in the mood for temples and shrines, then boy are you in look. Unfortunately for me, I had seen soo many temples and shrines in tokyo and was pretty shrined out. After seeing 20 shrines you get pretty desensitized to how cool they are and they lose value. The facility is really nice and for the money, probably the best value i have seen in a hostel in a while. The staff was fantastic as well.

• 28th Jan 2014

Always stay here when im in kyoto. Friendly staff, good facilities, good location. Just a short walk to shijo street & teramachi dori, if you want to do some shopping. Pleasant walk to gion and higashiyama area. I always try to stay in Khaosan branches around Japan, the quality and the staff are always good everywhere. Thanks again.

Great hostel, but total lack of atmosphere... I only stayed in a three bed dorm that felt more like a university dorm room... And the common room was empty basically the entire time I was there. Clean, nice facilities, and perfect location... But yeah, if you're looking for a hostel to meet people at this might not be the one unless there are events going on one of the nights that you're staying there. Really nice place if you're just looking for a peaceful (and comfortable) bed while in Kyoto.

Solid hostel. Good spot, good facilities and good staff. Although I wasn't able to attend any organized events they had quite a few which is rare in the Japanese hostels. The common room area is also excellent.

Hands down the best!

Fairly decent place, clean and well equipped to the khaosan standard however it is so big it lacks intimacy and atmosphere. Staff are good but clinical and efficient rather than the fun types you see in most youth hostels. Well located for all the bus stops to get around town

Very close to Shijo shopping area, lots of bus stops around, great location

• 19th Jan 2014
  • China

Great location and a nice room! Facilities were clean and it was nice to stay there. There was only one shower on our floor but at least the 2nd floor had many so it didn't matter much if our floor's shower was taken. I would stay here again in Kyoto!

Nice staff and suitation.It's a happy experience to come to Japan.

• 17th Jan 2014
  • Taiwan

For what it costs, probably can't get anywhere that's better. I enjoyed staying here very much except for one thing they need to work on - wifi and internet. I remember being very frustrated with their wifi

Small rooms, clean

Khaosan Kyoto is an excellent hostel. It is clean, close to the the station and central to many of Kyoto's main attractions. The staff are also very friendly and helpful. It is also has a great atmosphere and is a lovely place to meet new people from across the globe.

• 14th Jan 2014

my favourite hostell :)

We stayed there in winter, and fristly i found it very cheap (actually Kyoto's hostels were the cheapest in my travel trough Japan). It is located a bit far from Kyoto St. but near from a nice commercial area and not far from the traditional Gion district. It is a big hostel so it can seem quite unpersonal, but the staff is nice and helpful. It has a big common area and is easy to make friends there. They gave us a gift when we checked out!! arigatou!!!

Excellent value for money