Khaosan Kyoto Guest House Reviews

568 Nakanocho, Bukkoji-agaru, Teramachi-dori, Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto, Japan

1987 Total Reviews

I was on the 4th floor, this floor is very very noisy until 2am. People and staff do not respect people who sleep.

• 16th Feb 2014

Such a large hostel! 5 floors. It had a great space for eating and hanging out, so easy to meet people. Rooms were clean and well looked after, staff spoke English well and were very helpful at helping me out. Location was very good. I would definitely stay here again.

Really enjoyed our stay at Khaosan Kyoto Guest House. Staff were friendly and very helpful, the place was modern and full of all the necessary facilities/ items. We stayed in a twin share and the rooms are small (hard to find room for a hiking pack, snowboard bag and our 2 backpacks). For the most it was kept clean and tidy with the except on around the toilet where it looks like some people couldn't aim (the perks of having shared bathrooms!). Otherwise would happily stay again.

• 11th Feb 2014

I stayed here after scrambling to find a hostel at the last minute due to some flight craziness. The Khaosan hostels are great, and the Kyoto Guest house was a friendly, safe, perfectly located hostel within walking distance of some of the coolest sights in Kyoto. I'd definitely stay here again!

I really like its atmosphere. And it is walking distance to lots of shopping streets and Gion. Highly recommend to people who want to stay in Kyoto.

Kyoto Khaosan is a nice place and I really enjoy it. The only thing that I think they can improve is that I've send 3 emails and only got one reply in the begging, that makes me a little nervous before I lived in . Except the email, every thing in Kyoto Khaosan is really good!

• 8th Feb 2014
  • Taiwan

Great hostel! I appreciate the semi-privacy of their bunk set up (you got curtains in all of them). Also you have your own light, and your plug--all very convenient. The common area is big and nice and their internet access is pretty decent throughout the hotel. Got an elevator, lockers, big luggage room. They are pretty well equipped. The price are a bit steep, but I think its worth paying an extra few dollars a night to stay here.

Great location, near the downtown

• 6th Feb 2014
  • Turkey

I would much rather this service than any other hotels. Everything was immaculate.

Helpful and friendly staff, ground floor has computers for access and big room for luggage storage. Fantastic location in the city center, nearby shopping, restaurants, subway, various maps available. However the showers and toilets seemed lacking - the floor my brother and I were on had one toilet and one shower (which was women only so he had to go to another floor), I'd imagine that in a busy season getting to shower would be competitive. Otherwise great place!

I cannot find any thing that I didn't like. Perfect.

The only thing that they need for perfection it's the bikes!

• 1st Feb 2014
  • Mexico

I had a great time at Khaosan Kyoto Guesthouse. The staff actually upgraded my bed at no extra cost. There was a great Rakugo party one night where I got introduced to another aspect of Japanese culture. The best part, however, is the other guests. I had so many long, interesting conversations ... it`s a hub of intellectual people from around the world.

I had a great time, the best hostel in which I've stayed. Clean facilities, respectful yet engaging guests. Great staff. Thanks!

If you are looking for a party, this city is not it. If you are in the mood for temples and shrines, then boy are you in look. Unfortunately for me, I had seen soo many temples and shrines in tokyo and was pretty shrined out. After seeing 20 shrines you get pretty desensitized to how cool they are and they lose value. The facility is really nice and for the money, probably the best value i have seen in a hostel in a while. The staff was fantastic as well.

• 28th Jan 2014

Always stay here when im in kyoto. Friendly staff, good facilities, good location. Just a short walk to shijo street & teramachi dori, if you want to do some shopping. Pleasant walk to gion and higashiyama area. I always try to stay in Khaosan branches around Japan, the quality and the staff are always good everywhere. Thanks again.

Great hostel, but total lack of atmosphere... I only stayed in a three bed dorm that felt more like a university dorm room... And the common room was empty basically the entire time I was there. Clean, nice facilities, and perfect location... But yeah, if you're looking for a hostel to meet people at this might not be the one unless there are events going on one of the nights that you're staying there. Really nice place if you're just looking for a peaceful (and comfortable) bed while in Kyoto.

Solid hostel. Good spot, good facilities and good staff. Although I wasn't able to attend any organized events they had quite a few which is rare in the Japanese hostels. The common room area is also excellent.

Hands down the best!

Fairly decent place, clean and well equipped to the khaosan standard however it is so big it lacks intimacy and atmosphere. Staff are good but clinical and efficient rather than the fun types you see in most youth hostels. Well located for all the bus stops to get around town