Khaosan Kyoto Guest House Reviews

568 Nakanocho, Bukkoji-agaru, Teramachi-dori, Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto, Japan

I was really ill when I arrived in Kyoto, and on the second / third night, I've asked one of the staff if it was possible to get medicine from the convenience store nearby. They didn't have anything that I needed, so he checked if there was a drug store that was still open at that time. I thought that was really nice of him and I did get the medicine that helped me get better! Thanks very much!

super easy to get to and close to the shopping arcade. overall the hostel was spacious with an elevator, however the mixed dorm rooms were a bit too narrow whilst moving suitcases in and out. the ports in the rooms weren't that great as they were upside down and couldn't support the adapters with plugs

The location was absolutely perfect to visit Kyoto!!! The only issue was a bad smell in the room, maybe from the carpet. But it was perfect in all the other aspects.

It was a pitty, but I have to cancelation part of my reservation. This is a point you have to be atention, because they charges the cancelation. Despite that, I was a really good hostel, the girls private rooms are really nice with a ladies bathroom.

Super good location and really good facilities

• 6th Jan 2015

lovely place to be! lived for a week in 10 bed dormitory and everything was just great. roommates changed in fast pace, but were nice and considerate at all times. total recommendation!

We were a group of 3 females and got the triple on the second floor. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful and they provided us with a great restaurant recommendation. The bathrooms were reasonably clean and nice, and the common area on the fourth floor seemed to be popular. I slept well, although my sister woke up in the night because our room was next to the stairwell. However, the room was dark and smelly, and there was also at times a bad smell throughout the hostel.

• 3rd Jan 2015

Everything is great, except for the dusty sleeping area which is not so good for a person with a respiratory system problem.

• Thailand

Fantastic stay, staff were extremely friendly and helpful esp with directions. Stayed in dorm, very clean with lockers and curtain for privacy. Most comfy bed and pillow in all my backpacking. Level 4 common room area excellent, computers and full kitchen were very useful facilities. Although one guest made his home in front of the tv all day and night the entire stay. Busy with lots of guests, great for socialising. Can't beat location, main shopping street, restaurants

• New Zealand

I especially liked the large, clean kitchen and adjoining dining room and lounge area. Because of these facilities, we had a very comfortable stay. Other facilities were also clean, modern, and well maintained. I never felt like I was too cramped, unlike many other hostels I've stayed at in Japan.

The hostel is in a good location. However, there is absolutely no atmosphere. The common areas are so quiet, you feel like you are in the silent section of a library. No one talks to each other and when you smile at the people that stay here long term to clean, they don't acknowledge you. Depressing vibe.

• 2nd Jan 2015

Great location and helpful staff - good maps, lots of useful info about Kyoto on the walls etc. Decent kitchen. One small point - had to make up your own beds, even in private rooms. Bit of a pain if arriving late.

• 29th Dec 2014

I think this hostel is really a great deal for those who wanna explore Kyoto more! It located in centre of Kyoto and near the subway station! Staff speaks fluent English and is willing to help!

Aside from a somewhat flaky Internet connectivity, this is a grand hostel as lovely as the last time I stayed at it. Well-located and -priced with one of the best kitchens I've encountered in many a hostel stay in Japan, it's my go-to recommendation for anyone staying in Kyoto, be it for a night or a week. Also, cheap dryers that actually work!

Great value clean hostel in a good location. Very close to subway and bus stop for easy access to explore the city. Can walk around Central and Gion area easily from here. Nice room although a bit small. Great showers and clean bathrooms. Staff were extremely helpful at giving directions and tips for navigating the bus routes. Lots of great eating options nearby too.

Great location and friendly staff. The rooms (bedrooms, bathrooms, lounge) were all in excellent condition and the kitchen was well stocked. I would stay here again. Just a note, when you take the train and use exit #3, the narrow street is actually a uturn to the left, don't cross the street and go straight down that narrow street.

Best location and easy to meet friends here.

This place is value for money. Location was fantastic, it was very clean definitely a place I would go back again.

• 24th Dec 2014
  • Singapore

I stayed there for one night and when i want to sleep at the midnight. Just found out the plug for my charger didn't work. At 5J bed number 5. No staff there bcause it's already 1.30am.

A wonderful and friendly place to relax after traveling! Rooms are spare but quite functional, the showers and toilets immaculate and nice! The common area on the fourth floor is a great place to meet people! Highly recommended!

• 21st Dec 2014