Khaosan Kyoto Guest House Reviews

568 Nakanocho, Bukkoji-agaru, Teramachi-dori, Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto, Japan

This will be my first review on hostel world and will be because of how much this place exceeded my expectations. After traveling Southeast Asia for four months and staying at a multitude of hostels this place will definitely stand out the most. The price is fair, but amenities and the dorm sleeping arrangements are out of this world. I definitely recommend this place to anyone willing to pay one or two more dollars!

• 9th May 2014

The Khaosan Guest House was great! The staff was very helpful and nice. Close to shopping, transit, fish market, and downtown nightlife. Rented bikes a block away and had a blast exploring Kyoto all day. A must stay Guest House if you are going to Kyoto. I would recommend 100% to someone looking for a place to stay in Kyoto.

The staffs were great and always helped with anything I asked. Everything was very clean (room and toilet), but the living room had a wierd smell everytime I entered there. But after the first seconds inside I didn't smell it anymore. The place was safe, but I was confused to what should I do with my bags, since I was for the first time sharing a room with other unknown people. I wasn't sure if it was safe to just let it there around the room like some people did. I'd definitely recommend there!

• 8th May 2014

Very cool hostel in a good area. Within short walking distance to two stations, 5- stayed for several nights in a 2 bed room and also all female dorm room. 10min walk away. Also about 5 minutes from a covered shopping arcade with a lot of food options also. Everything was clean and taken care of well. The only thing I didn't like was you only get provided lockers for the dorm style rooms. Definitely recommend!

Very strange atmosphere in the lounge area. No one talked or had fun. Don't know why. Was a bit weird, although it's a really nice hostel with cool lounge and rooms.

Nice staffs. Worth the money.

This is one of the best hostels I have stayed at anywhere in the world. The staff are super friendly and organized, everything makes sense, and there are no downsides that I experienced. Don't hesitate to book this place; it's really everything a solo traveller wants in Kyoto.

• 5th May 2014

Probably one of the nicest hostels I've ever stayed in. It is indeed more expensive than the others, and that is the reason why I switched to another hostel (thight budget) but if you can afford it: go for it ! The staff is really nice and always has a smile for you, the lounge/kitchen is really cool to chill out, the beds are quite comfortable and are equipped with curtains for privacy, and the showers/toilets are numerous, you never wait more than 5 minutes! Great stay.

the two-bed room didn't smell good, we had to open the window to let fresh air in. but mostly because it's too small and located on first floor. the kitchen needs to be maintained more frequently, the taiwanese girl working in the hostel spoke too loudly at midnight in lounge. Otherwise was a pleasant staying, the location is super convenient, the staff were very helpful and nice. all the facilities function well.

There were no outlets by the beds, actually I couldn't find any in the room though I looked. The beds themselves are really nice. It's a very quiet hostel, good if you want to get sleep. There is also a great map in the lounge showing off things to do in Kyoto

Very nice hotel, well located and friendly staff.

We loved our stay at Khaosan Kyoto Kabuki. This hostel was a great location for us as it was easy to get to popular locations. The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful when it came to planning our travels around Japan. We would definitely stay again.

TOP!!!!!!!!

I've stayed at Khaosan Annex (now closed) and Khaosan Kyoto. Both excellent places! Thank you for such a great experience!

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Mexico

The location is really nice, located near downtown Sijio Kawaramachi and is easy access to anywhere. There are also 2 supermarkets around and one of both even open 24 hours a day. The facilities there are nice and you can find curtain and light on each bed. Japanese tatami living room with western-styled kitchen is nice for relaxing. Replacing shoes with slippers before entering is considerate, but sometimes the indoor slippers are not enough. This guest house is worth for backpackers.

Staffs are friendly, location is very great

+ Good location, near public transport and interesting areas in the city. Cleanliness and service level feels average for Japanese hostels. - Dark, dull dorm. Very crowded, not very clean kitchen. - There was a boring feeling about the place. We came from a small hostel in Hiroshima that had a far warmer and more welcoming atmosphere.

Probably the nicest and cleanest hostel I've ever stayed in. Great job!

• 24th Apr 2014

A nice hostel, but much too big for my taste. Really comfortable though and feels more as if you are staying in a hotel than a hostel. Can't really fault it, I just prefer the smaller family run hostels.

Kyoto is so gorgeous and this hostel was an awesome base. Great staff, great lounge to relax in, great level of cleanliness, great security. Really good location just a few minutes from the Main Street and walking distance to Gion. Would definitely recommend.