Lantana Lodge International Backpackers Reviews

60 St Georges Bay Road, Parnell, Auckland, New Zealand

Cheap hostel, good location and free wifi. The hostel's parking is a joke (two parking spots). The kitchen is tiny and rathern worn out but it works fine, if you avoid peak hours. Actually the whole place looks rather old and worn out, but it's ok for a night or two. The main drawback is the number of long-term guests. It feels like staying at someone's house, with all their friends hanging around: it's hard to fit in.

The kitchen is very small,but it is mentioned in the description,so no big surprise.Excellent Wifi.

Love staying at Lantana. Staff are super nice and welcoming. The people that stayed there were great and I especailly like a few of the people who lived and worked in Auckland which gave the house a nice feel Very international. People shared food and went out places together. Raj who manages it is a kind, calm and welcoming kind of fellow,

Thank you Amy for your support we hope to see you again. Raj & Mai

Nice and clean hostel worth staying at

It's quite a tired facility; we liked the owners and the guests, but it really needs sprucing up. Some guests seem fairly long-term, which speaks well for Lantana, I suppose. Near downtown (about a 15-20 minute walk), but you walk through a semi-industrial area where we found tell-tale glass fragments curbside, confirming car break-ins every single car length for one or two blocks (but, to be clear, NOT on the block where Lantana is located). Next time I'll probably try another hostel.

The kitchen and dining room are very small. The staff was very kind, even when we arrived late in the evening.

Didn't actually stay at Lantana because an error with the booking. I stayed at the couples' other hostel Freeman instead.

This is a frienfly Hostel with a familiar atmosphere. I liked to be there, only the citchen is for so much people to small and there is not realy space to sit and eat. The kitchen needs to renovate. But this situation. rought the people together.

Stayed here 2 nights. The staff are very friendly. A small-ish kitchen but it did the trick. FREE computer/internet which was a real treat. Lockable lockers in the dorm room which was nice. Plenty of bathrooms and hot water. Lots of space to dry out your clothes too. The other folk staying there were friendly and nice. I would stay here again.

Thanks Linda for staying i9n lantana lodge. Hope to see you again.

I stayed only 1 night, but i would absolutely recomend this hostel. It just 15 to 20 minutes from the center and the harbour to walk or you can easily catch the bus. It is very quiet so if you want to sleep you can. I was also very happy to see that the kitchen is cleaner as in the most hostels.

Thank you for enjoying your stay in lantana lodge. see you next time.

What can I say? I stayed here for one night and as soon as I walked onto the porch, I was greeted by super friendly people who chatted and kept me company. I honestly can't wait to come and stay again. The owners are so friendly too; thanks for your great hospitality! :]

Thanks Nicole for enjoying your stay in lantana lodge. We are looking forward to meet you again.

Clean, friendly, homey and specially welcoming after the place we'd come from. Private rooms are lovely, kitchen small but well equipped, staff very friendly. Nice location in Parnell, Auckland. Great place to stay.

When we arrived at the lodge we were told be the manager Raj that our room wasn't available because someone "destroied" it earlier that week. So he "offered" us a "more expensive" room - without charging more. We ended up at the bottom of his own house some hundred meters away from the lodge. Neither the bathroom nor our bedroom got cleaned there. Later we saw the actual double rooms at the lodge and got really pissed, they were way(!) better! Always insist in seeing the room you have booked!

Hi Oliver The room at lantana lodge was open because we had to clean the carpet & it was all wet. & waiting to dry because of the guest who came a night earlier beofre you threw up in the room. So we did not wanted to sell the room before it was all cleaned.

A great and Homey Hostel. Staff is very friendly and helpful, you feel straight at home.

we'll go back for sure next time we visit auckland!

• 14th Dec 2012

Raj and Sima are very hands-on owners and are so very helpful. My request to move from a dorm bunk to a private room was exceeded by giving me a full bedroom in a shared house, rooming with a single mom and her son, who became close friends. The house was secure, being in their backyard behind a locked fence. Lantana Lodge is within walking distance of Parnell, one of the nicest neighborhoods in Auckland and about a 45 minute walk to downtown. Close to public transportation.

Friendly staff, however, we found our private room a very tight squeeze, no room for our luggage and as the room got the afternoon sun, very hot and stuffy. Was dissapointed as the room rate as was quite expensive for $10 or so more we could have stayed in a far more comfortable and private hotel. There were also alot of long staying residents in the hostel, which gave the feeling of being the late comers in a 'Big Brother' house.

• 12th Dec 2012
  • New Zealand
  • Couple

Staff is very helpful and friendly. The rooms with only one small window and these in the lower floor sometimes little bit of smelling. Kitchen is O.k. but it need a refreshing...

It's a great hostel with super friendly and helpful staff, the atmosphere is awesome and a quite location (only 20-30minute walk to downtown). It's worth every dollar. I really enjoyed staying there and will definitely come back:)

A good place to stay in Auckland. The free internet was a real bonus.

• 27th Nov 2012