MEININGER Amsterdam City West Reviews

Orlyplein 1-67, Amsterdam, Netherlands

1974 Total Reviews

Really close to station which has trains every ten mins to Amsterdam. Excellent bar and seating area outside.

Pros; Cleanliness - Extremely clean, cleaners are constantly on the level providing fresh towels, etc... Staff - Staff was helpful, smiling, and effective. Rooms are very comfortable. Cons; Far from city, family orientated & hard to meet people if you are solo since it is so big. Atmosphere was pretty dull, even on a Friday and Saturday night, the bar downstairs was nearly empty. It was overly expensive, most probably because of the Europride that weekend, but still expensive during an event.

It was the best hotel I've ever stayed. I stayed in too many different hostels in different countries but Meininger Hotel is the best hostel far away. Hotel is too clean and also cafeteria and leisure time area are also well-designed and lovely.

EVery thing was awesome and we were upgraded to a better room! Only downside was the location - a 15 to 20 minute bus ride to the city centre and these buses didn't run past 12 am.

• 30th Jul 2015

Staff seemed a little spacy, however, I cannot argue as the staff will give you free upgrades upon availability for top comfort. This makes your dollar go further, and is great. I was a solo traveler however, and due to the size of the hostel, I didn't find it too easy to make friends and meet others. Overall. I would stay as a group, but may seek somewhere closer to city center if I return to Amsterdam!

It feels like hotel although it's dormitory. Easy to find, kind staffs, nice facilities..! Everything was good! But When I go to the central station, train was best but I could not use my 24hour ticket for bus, metro, tram.. In that case. That was only thing that I felt uncomfortable!

Cool hotel, stayed for 2 nights but unfortunately due to overbooking experienced problems. Checked in at 11pm was sent to a dorm that was already completely full. After approaching reception was sent to another room but told to return at 11am and they would given a new room due to overbooking. This is already annoying, but after going to reception at 11am (as instructed) was told to wait till 3PM!! to get a room, so inconveniently had to wait and leave suitcase in storage.

• 29th Jul 2015

Very clean and modern hostel. Staff was very helpful and they offered plenty of information and recommendations of what to do in Amsterdam. As a solo traveller I would just say it's a bit too big to meet people as easily as a smaller hostel. But that being said there's a waking tour and pub crawl available to meet people. Location is a train stop about 7 minutes to city centre. Which didn't bother me but if you want to be right down in it I'd say stay around centraal.

Although not in centre city the hostel is located beside one of the main transit stations . This was great as we would head into and and escape and head home to a quiet area. the facilities were very clean and new ! The staff was friendly and were able to answer and help us with any questions or concerns we had.

• 28th Jul 2015

Feels more like a high volume hotel than the other hostels I experienced across Europe. The place is huge. Because of this, staff was highly stressed and led to them being generally unhelpful. The facility itself is very nice - great modern, clean rooms. More families than college students. Certainly not a party hostel. One train stop from downtown wasn't bad, but keep in mind trains stop at 1am if you are trying to club in Amsterdam.

Far away from city and red light district. 5 minute train ride is quite annoying. It is a hotel with dorms, so very difficult to meet people. Beds were comfy and curtains kept the room extremely dark. Very comfortable place but not ideal if you want to enjoy the heart of Amaterdam. 1 night here maybe 2, 5 was too many.

This place was nice, clean and comfortable, but I would recommend staying in the city center instead. It definitely is more of a hotel than a hostel, so it has its upsides but if you're looking for a fun atmosphere choose somewhere else!

Simply AMAZING! The best hostel I've ever been! Clean, organized... Everything I could ask for!

Clean and comfortable with welcoming staff. However, the kitchen was very under equipped and it is a fair way out of the centre of Amsterdam. Although well linked by public transport it's not ideal for travellers on a budget who would prefer to be within walking distance of the main sites. Furthermore, our room was clearly designed for 6 people but an extra bed had been put in meaning that one of us had to sleep in the centre of the room with no plug. The sink was also in the middle of the room

I don't usually leave reviews on hotel/hostels but this one was fantastic. The wifi is brilliant and the location of the hostel is perfect (so close to the train station) staff are friendly and were extra helpful (even ordered us a pizza takeout one night too!) rooms are very clean. Would definitely stay here again!

Dear guest, What a great review! It is very nice to hear that you had a lovely stay with Meininger. Thank you so much for all your kind words about our staff members and for taking your time to share the experience of your recent stay at our Meininger Hotel in Amsterdam. I will forward your compliments to my collegues. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the future! All the best and kind Regards, Meininger Amsterdam

This place is more like a hotel with dorm rooms than a hostel, which is fine for me but didn't help much for meeting other people. The bar downstairs was decent and a lot of people hung out there, but there were a lot of groups and it was still hard to meet people. Ensuite bathrooms were great and everything is cleaned daily. Biggest downside was the distance from the city center, but there's a rail station next door which makes it easy to get there. Great place!

I thought the hostel was great. I booked 2 x Triple rooms which were quite small but comfortable. The only let down for me during my whole stay was the breakfast! 7.90€ for continental breakfast I thought was a bit excessive. Really wanted some hot cooked food for breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausages, beans etc). Aside from that, great hostel, great location, staff were very helpful and informative...all in all, great stay and would definitely come back again!

• 24th Jul 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Meininger is great for the reason that it's comfortable and runs like a hotel. Unfortunately they had been over booked, so my friend and I had to move to a different room day two. Then our (clearly labeled) food was taken from the fridge; the staff were unable to do anything, which was fair enough, but annoying. The kitchen is poorly equipped, but ok. The location is next to a station, which is great, but getting the train to the centre every day was expensive. Overall a mixed experience.

We enjoyed our stay, the hostel was friendly and the rooms were good. Despite it being out of the city it was next to train, tram and bus stations which made everything very easy to access. The only critique I would have is that we had a group of 15 and thought we had booked 3 rooms of 5 when in actual fact we had only booked 15 beds which led to some confusion, it would just be nicer if this was clearer when booking. Other than this, the stay was great- we all enjoyed it.

• 21st Jul 2015

Very clean rooms, nice lovely staff. Slightly far from central Amsterdam, but still v. conveniently located right by the train station therefore easy access to airport as well