MEININGER Amsterdam City West Reviews

Orlyplein 1-67, Amsterdam, Netherlands

1983 Total Reviews

I thought the hostel was great. I booked 2 x Triple rooms which were quite small but comfortable. The only let down for me during my whole stay was the breakfast! 7.90€ for continental breakfast I thought was a bit excessive. Really wanted some hot cooked food for breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausages, beans etc). Aside from that, great hostel, great location, staff were very helpful and informative...all in all, great stay and would definitely come back again!

• 24th Jul 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Meininger is great for the reason that it's comfortable and runs like a hotel. Unfortunately they had been over booked, so my friend and I had to move to a different room day two. Then our (clearly labeled) food was taken from the fridge; the staff were unable to do anything, which was fair enough, but annoying. The kitchen is poorly equipped, but ok. The location is next to a station, which is great, but getting the train to the centre every day was expensive. Overall a mixed experience.

We enjoyed our stay, the hostel was friendly and the rooms were good. Despite it being out of the city it was next to train, tram and bus stations which made everything very easy to access. The only critique I would have is that we had a group of 15 and thought we had booked 3 rooms of 5 when in actual fact we had only booked 15 beds which led to some confusion, it would just be nicer if this was clearer when booking. Other than this, the stay was great- we all enjoyed it.

• 21st Jul 2015

Very clean rooms, nice lovely staff. Slightly far from central Amsterdam, but still v. conveniently located right by the train station therefore easy access to airport as well

I didn't think the breakfast buffet was worth its money, however everything else was superb and I will definitely be staying at this hostel again the next time I visit Amsterdam!

• 21st Jul 2015

Very clean and safe hostel. Nice rooms. A bit far from the city center. Have to take a 10 minute train each time. It's really not that bad tho. Overall would recommend. Former hotel turned into hostel. Not crazy party hostel but i met great people there

Meininger hostels are clean, cheap, and quiet. A nice place to stay if you are looking for somewhere outside of the center of town. Unfortunately the shower flooded our entire bathroom, bad drainage.

Dear guest, Thank you so much for your nice review. We´re happy you enjoyed your stay at Meininger! We're sorry to hear that the shower in your room had technical issues; and we thank you for informing us, that way we can act on it with our Maintenance department. Next time do not hesitate to come down to reception so that our staff members can try to solve the issue right away. We would be delighted to welcoming you again in the future! Kind regards, the Meininger Team

Too far from the city, the public transit was confusing in knowing which cards were for which modes of transit and didn't get much clarification or help.

I only stayed here for one night. We stayed here for the location because we were leaving back for the States the next day and did not want to miss our flight. It was easy to get to the airport. I thought this place was really nice, but if i was staying in Amsterdam to party i would pay more to stay closer into town.However, it met my needs. Also, it was incredibly clean and new.

BEST ADVICE: Buy an unlimited travel ticket that INCLUDES train travel. This hostel is only one stop away from Amsterdam center, but the regular unlimited travel tickets that the hostel and trains station sell is just for bus or tram (you could take a bus into the city center). At the airport when you arrive, before taking the train one stop of Meininger, buy your unlimited travel ticket INCLUDING train travel. Otherwise you will pay 5 euro for each train journey. I paid 25 for 3 days unlimited

This was an awesome hostel! I was very impressed by the size of the room and connected bathroom, and by the cleanliness and newness of everything! The little touches in the room made it extra comfortable, like the outlet by every bed and the little mounted shelf for personal items. The bar downstairs was a good place to unwind, too :) My only complaint is the location, since it took a 5 minute train ride (~4 euros round-trip) to get into the city. It's not much, but it was a bit inconvenient.

This place is not good for a solo traveler. There are plenty of people around, but the atmosphere is not really conducive to meeting them. It's a good backup though, since apparently you have to book a month ahead of time to get in anywhere good in Amsterdam. The location's not great. I guess being next to a train station has perks, but the train is expensive. With a bike location is not a huge deal, though it's still a 20 minute ride to get to downtown.

This was an old hotel that has been concerted I to a hostel. It was filling teacher groups and students but overall is a fine place to stay. Doesn't have any sort of group vibe or atmosphere but it's a good place to sleep. The breakfast is pretty decent and all you can eat but it's 7 euro 90 as of June 2015. We found really top notch food at the bar up the road for only a few euros more and found that to be a better option overall.

Really nice hostel very clean, staff are very friendly and beds are comfy and rooms are safe. Only slight downside is the out of town location but this is tackled by the proximity of the Station and the ability to rent bikes cheaply

Atmosphere was fun. Lots of people to meet. The breakfast was expensive for what was offered. Room was nice and the bathroom was decent. Location was inconvenient if you want to walk anywhere, but it's right next to the train and bus station so that's a plus. Really easy to get to from the airport.

This place has no life. Very boring as a single traveller. Also it's outside of the city so not ideal for just hanging out and walking around.

It's connected to a hotel, so it felt like staying in a hotel, just with more people in the room. It was super clean and security was good, but no real atmosphere to meet people if you're alone. Lots of families from the hotel around. It's also really far from the city. About 30 minutes by bus/tram, but right outside Sloterdijk station, so it's convenient if that's where you arrive or depart from. Kitchen was small, but decent enough and staff was friendly.

Excellent stay here. I booked a 7 bed dorm and somehow got a private single room. Not sure how but not complaining at all! Nice breakfast. Washing and drying facilities are good too. There's a decent guest kitchen to cook your own meals if you want. One thing- my shower in my room was blocked so the base filled up straight away. Minor negative in a overall positive experience.

Pretty convenient a hostel being just next to the train station, I had booked a dorm there was no availability I got a private room for free and it was nice, very clean, conditioned air and everything you need. Thumbs up

Hostel was conveniently located right next to the train station, only about a 15 minute train ride with the Sprinter. 24 hour bar. Rooms are very nice and clean. Would stay here again.

• 9th Jul 2015