Moalboal Backpacker Lodge Reviews

Panagsama Beach, Basdiot, Moalboal, Philippines

Not friendly and not helpful staffs. English is poorly speaking except the owner.

This is the only hostel in town, and the staff knows that. They do virtually nothing to help you get around, although it's easy enough to find other people to do so. Ants in every toilet area, no hot water in showers. No AC. The filtered water should be free. Met great people here, but had there been other cheap options in town, guaranteed we would have been there. Location is great though, and had a wonderful time in Moalboal regardless.

So I wanted to love this hostel but it fell short on many areas. Super easy to meet people, great location for moalboal. However I am by no means picky but the toilet was a disaster. The showers had no caddy or areas to hold hygienic stuff. This place gets loud at night and be prepared to get woken up in the morning by roosters. Also there was a major mouse problem here. Owner is nice guy but I think he can do much better. Hopefully it improves. Also worst Internet I've had.

Thanks for the comment. We do clean the common toilets and showers at least 4x a day. I agree that some guest have a problem to flush the toilet. We doesn't provide the showers with caddys anymore. I found many times caddys broken on the floor or used as a garbage bin for dirty underwear a.o.private hygienic items. Inside the shower is a hook where the guest can hang their hygienic stuff. Surely we're a busy hostel with many young fellows. We do have house rules and I keep on eye thats gonna be not to noisy. Roosters are every where in this country. We don't have any, but some in the neighborhood. Yes, its right since a week is 'Jerry' back. My improvement will be a cat, because 'Jerry ' is nothing with out 'Tom'. The internet works at day time ok. No upgrades sides from the provider available at moment. Thanks anyway.

Hostel has a good atmosphere. Wifi is not great. Facilities are quite basic. Security is good though, lots of lockers of different sizes, even lockers where you can charge your phone so it's kept safe. Need to take your own lock though

perfect stay for me!

perfect for the price!

Nice place in the best location. The dorm is very big, but also surprisingly calm.

Great hostel in a great diving location. Stay here if you want to do some divin/snorkel. Otherwise not much else around. Go check out Neptune diving as well; great Swedish team there!

The dorm was actually a 14 bed, not an 8 bed as advertised. No hot water but since it's hot, its not really a problem. The whole place is open so it doesn't feel very secure. The atmosphere is really good and the price is right!

Hi thanks for the review. Actually we have only 8 beds online available. But we did update the total amount of beds on Hostelworld already. The open spacious dorm and the attached bamboo deck is on the 2nd floor and none outsider allowed to go up. I agree that some guest doesn't lock the front main door at night time and early morning hours after bar hopping.

Nice atmosphere in Backpacker Lodge. Nice terrace. Perfect to meet other travelers! Everything else is in the same range as most hostels in Philippines

Nice place for diving.

• 15th Nov 2015

This cute lodge was our home for 3 nights whilst in the Philippines. The location is convenience for exploring Moalboal and the staff are quite helpful. The room we stayed in was super cool, open bungalow style with an upstairs bedroom including hammock and mosquito net. On the downside there is no hot water, the wifi is quite poor as seems to be common in the Philippines and the roosters on the property behind the backpackers have no concept of time so I didn'd sleep much. Otherwise, not bad :)

Moalboal backpacker's lodge is the only hostel in Moalboal and is located near all of the restruants, bars, and dive shops. Paid PHP 295/night for the 4 bed dorm. It had 2 fans but was super hot. Heard the large dorm upstairs was cooler. Many small lockers are available and there are a few big ones that can fit 2 large packs. I really liked how they have small lock boxes next to the outlets so you can lock up your phone as it charges. WiFi didn't really work, bad even for the Philippines.

Good value with great staff makes this best place to stay in Moalboal. Booked additional 2 nights after arrival since I enjoyed the place so much. Snorkeling at the coral reefs just 20 meters away. Cosy hammocks and nice terrace/balcony where you can relax during the day and in the evening. If you want your valuables behind locks, remember to bring your own padlock. I did not have one but nothing got stolen.

The atmosphere was great and the staff were very nice and helpful. Location is great for divers and snorkeling, but there's no sandy beach or nice swimming area so it depends on what you're looking for. :) the staff gave us water and coffee which was very kind. The only thing I didn't like were the barefoot only areas. Regardless of the rule the area was sandy and dirty, so you were forced to walk on that and have dirty feet instead of just wearing your flip flops.

Hi there, thanks for the review. The barefoot area is ONLY! at the upper floor at the mix dorm and bamboo deck, inside all rooms and all bungalows. No one has forced you to cross the backyard or the lobby area barefoot. We do clean the floor at the lobby few times a day, but its for us a big challenge every day - dust and sand from the road, guest have sandy feet back from snorkeling or just been on the beach. As far as I know, you had a bungalow and it will be make up on request.

very nice hostel, especially very nice doorm and bamboo chillout area. the owener is super helpful. really enyoed my stay

Grate place for the money. Room has hamack and The Suit room can acomodate 3 people. We will go again. The the german owner is very nice and a lot of knowlage abot phillipines and the see.

• 15th Oct 2015

Great location, appreciate them putting in a mosquito net for us on our second nigt stay. Cool layout. Friendly owner.

Moalboal backpackers is definitely great. You get more than what you paid for.

• 17th Sep 2015
  • Philippines

It was raining heavily on the day we arrived, the roof at the mixed dorm room was leaking pretty bad :( it was kind of chaotic as workers were being called to fixed it, and it was quite late in the night already! but otherwise, everything else was okay just that the toilet...ugh..someone did not flush after using it :O

Thanks for your review.Yes, it was a really heavy down poor rain.We did changed our roof from an metall roof to an native Nipa roof just 4 days before you arrive. The native leaves was dry (it didn't rain) and my workers 'stamped' the leaves teight, kind of, but the problem was solved after that. No one was happy with that situation. We clean toilets and showers more than 3x per day. Sorry for any uneducated guest who didn't flush the toilet after using.