Old Penang GuestHouse Reviews

53, Love Lane, Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia

Please change the out of shape pillows. Don't let children keep running outside the room (wooden floor, can you imagine how noisy is that?!) before 12pm, It was really really annoying. I was staying in room 5, I'm pretty sure there were bed bug. My legs are bitten all over. Extremely itchy, until now (20/8/2014) the spots are still deep red and swollen. At the same price range, I can have a good and quality in Bangkok, why small place liked Penang can't make it?

very good

very friendly staff, perfect location, common bathroom was very clean and therefore ok, breakfast was poor but better than nothong,

• 1st Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Too expensive for what is delivered. Attention, thet charge PER PERSON not per room, so the price is higher than advertised.

• 1st Aug 2014

Overall I had no issues with the facilities, service and location of the hostel. The guesthouse was located at a very good position at Love Lane, which is in the heart of the tourist district and well within walking distance of many attractions at GeorgeTown. My only main issue was bedbugs. I stayed in the 12 men dorm for 2 nights and was bitten by bedbugs which caused discomfort. Otherwise, the room was pretty decent and has air-conditioning.

• 28th Jul 2014
  • Singapore

bed bugs :(

• Malaysia

Very good atmosphere, try to stay like this !

Terimah kasih!

• Philippines

BED BUGSSS!!!!!

• 26th Jul 2014
  • Malaysia

I was comfortable at old penang guesthouse during my whole stay!

very good place, this is my 3rd time here, very good and helpful staff, very good dormitory, anythings OK, I'm very love this place

Had a very good time at Old Penang Guest House. The hostel is nice and clean, the staff friendly and helpful and we liked the fact that there was free drinking water available as well as tea and coffee.

We were concerned about reports of bedbugs but we had no problems. Stayed in private double room.

• 14th Jul 2014

The staffs are very nice.

• 14th Jul 2014
  • Thailand

Lots of other things available for loan, eg iron, hair dryer, international socket. Breakfast not so good-- watermelon most mornings, and only jam and margarine. Peanut butter would be a good addition. Tea and coffee basic. Friendly noise at night, eg Chinese karaoke next door, open windows, but free ear plugs provided. Wonderful hawker food at the end of the street.

Penang Guesthouse is a perfect place to stay in town (location, price, convenient).

Stayed in triple room. We caught 3 bed bugs on the twin bed, me and my friend was badly bitten and I suffered allergic reaction to the bites. The staff moved us to it's branch - The 80s Guesthouse (bedroom looks cleaner and newer) HOWEVER the bed bugs from Old Penang Guesthouse followed us on our bags to branch. Needless to say, 2 nights were spent catching bugs and scratching our bites. We are really put off by this bad experience,hygiene and cleanliness has to be improved! No excuse!

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Singapore

Thanks for your review. We had take immediate action to clean the room thoroughly and continue monitor from time to time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Other rooms might be very different, but room #15 was a tiny, depressing prison cel next to common bathroom (noisy). But staff were very nice and location was excellent. The place is dark inside and not the "hip" place described in guide book. Still, if you don't land in my old room, it might be a worthy place to book.

Well I loved the atmosphere this building breathes and met some great backpackers there. Even shared a' stroopwafel' with an Irish lass. Hi Dara!!!!!! :) Didn't like the security-guy in the evening/night.. very grumpy anabolic fitness guy, who love to have control of visitors (girls) The guestlady in daytime was very nice to us though. The building itself is awesome. Sleeping was ok had quite some bedbugs bites there.. ow they serve great free coffee. hehe

Staff were polite and helpful. Room and bathroom very clean.

• 27th Jun 2014