Old Penang GuestHouse Reviews

53, Love Lane, Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia

Old Penang is a nice guesthouse located in a very good location to get around and lots of local food nearby. The room is in a good condition with a/c and our own bathroom.I like the atmosphere where you can meet other travellers. The staffs are very nice and helpful. She recommended a cheap ride to the Spice Garden and Butterfly Farm for us. Totally recommend this place to those who wanna see real Penang.

The room was really small, but quiet and with air-con, for a cheap price. really sympatic staff, nice building.

• 12th Apr 2014

"Old Penang GuestHouse" is located in George Town which is close to the malls including Komtar and historic sites. You can get cheap food around there easily and walk to Little India in 2 mins. The building looked old as they said, but every facility was clean and neat so I didn't have any problems with that. They offered breakfast including toast, coffee(not sugar mixed coffee!!), tea and even fruit(watermelon and papaya). I loved it! :)

• 5th Apr 2014
  • South Korea

The rooms have no windows,I was bite by flea the first day when I live in this gh.That was horrible,and I was itching every night,and this also make many dark marks on my body that can' t remove,so ugly until now!Except this,ohers are good,good location,reasonable price,kindly person…

• 29th Mar 2014
  • China

I stayed in the dorm for 2 nights. The location is perfect and many attractions can be visited by walking. The staff are helpful and friendly, but the toilet must be checked as often as possible. Because some morons don't know how to use the WC and didn't flush after using it. I tried to use upstairs but still found that nasty thing.

Bed bugs! We checked the mattresses but once the lights were out it didn't take long before they crawled out. Staff tried to move us to other beds in that same dorm, but we insisted on a new room. That next room had bed bugs, too. The staff did all our laundry but acted like we were being so unreasonable and dramatic. Then they forfeited our deposit for switching rooms. Worst hostel experience I ever had. Oh, and make sure to check that they actually bother to deduct your booking deposit.

• 28th Mar 2014

Everything seemed great about this hostel - nice rooms with AC, spacious common area and good wifi. However, we found out the worst way there were bedbugs all over the room. One of us was bitten throughout the body and our bags were infested. :(

BED BUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We stayed in the large dorm on the bottom floor and I woke up the next day COVERED in bites. I didn't realize it was bed bugs until we had checked out and left. Other than that the hostel was great location.

BED BUGS. good location but that's about it. staff is pretty average along with the facilities. nice common area but atmosphere was solitary with nobody talking. but there are bed bugs in the dormitories. First night I was completely alone so I switched mattresses 3 times yet there were bed bugs in all of them. suffered maybe 25 bites in my two nights. and only thing they did was change the linens like that helps. better places for a few ringgit more around the corner.

I'm totally falling for this hostel! Lovely place to stay. It locates at a good spot to explore the George Town. In additional, there is a small street food market across the street. Living here is so convenient.

• 18th Mar 2014
  • Thailand

We had a very nice stay at Old Penang Guesthouse. The staff was excellent, very helpful! Even when we discovered insects in our bed they changed the mattress immediately and cleaned the room all over again. The rooms are nice and comfortable!

I stayed in a single room, which was quite good despite having no windows. The shared toilet and showers were always clean and the staff were generally helpful. There isn't much interaction between guests but that was not really an issue, as there are many bars nearby.

Decent place - great location. Scooter hire at the front is a good guy, with good Scooters.

It was my third time to stay in Old Penang GuestHouse. The guest house is nice as usual and expected. However, I suffered by bed bugs this time, though my roommates had no such problem.

Thank you for taking your time to leave a review. We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience during your stay. We sincerely apologize on this matter. We've cleaned the room thoroughly and applied with professional insecticide. We'll continue monitor from time to time. Thank you.

avarge hostel - the location is the best part of it. we have stayed in double with bathroom, I would say it could use some refreshment. I know it is an old building - but it doesnt mean you cant paint the room. Breakfast is just marketing - tost bread + jam + coffe, so consider eating out. at least they speak english - but dont expect warm welcome or smiles. it's not value for money, at least not our room, maybe dorms are

Good location, nice building, rooms do not get cleaned during your stay, most of the staff are helpful.

• 17th Feb 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Love the place, the house, the room, the toilet... And the free simple breakfast. The furniture n toilet seems new to me. Comfortable stay. But to Those who mind wooden plank floor will feel creepy.

• 16th Feb 2014
  • Malaysia

Cleanliness is poor is because i bite by bed bugs...and now still haven't recover...OMG....

• 12th Feb 2014

位置很好,周边景点和吃的多很方便,离免费巴士第七站和第八站都很近。员工也很友善,借给我转换插头。

The Queen bed in Room 10 has bed bugs.

• 7th Feb 2014
  • Malaysia

Dear guest, we sincerely apologize for the bed bug issue. We look into this matter seriously and had clean the room thoroughly. Hope can see you again in near future!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4