Old Penang GuestHouse Reviews

53, Love Lane, Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia

very good place, this is my 3rd time here, very good and helpful staff, very good dormitory, anythings OK, I'm very love this place

We were concerned about reports of bedbugs but we had no problems. Stayed in private double room.

• 14th Jul 2014

The staffs are very nice.

• 14th Jul 2014
  • Thailand

Stayed in triple room. We caught 3 bed bugs on the twin bed, me and my friend was badly bitten and I suffered allergic reaction to the bites. The staff moved us to it's branch - The 80s Guesthouse (bedroom looks cleaner and newer) HOWEVER the bed bugs from Old Penang Guesthouse followed us on our bags to branch. Needless to say, 2 nights were spent catching bugs and scratching our bites. We are really put off by this bad experience,hygiene and cleanliness has to be improved! No excuse!

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Singapore

Thanks for your review. We had take immediate action to clean the room thoroughly and continue monitor from time to time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Other rooms might be very different, but room #15 was a tiny, depressing prison cel next to common bathroom (noisy). But staff were very nice and location was excellent. The place is dark inside and not the "hip" place described in guide book. Still, if you don't land in my old room, it might be a worthy place to book.

Well I loved the atmosphere this building breathes and met some great backpackers there. Even shared a' stroopwafel' with an Irish lass. Hi Dara!!!!!! :) Didn't like the security-guy in the evening/night.. very grumpy anabolic fitness guy, who love to have control of visitors (girls) The guestlady in daytime was very nice to us though. The building itself is awesome. Sleeping was ok had quite some bedbugs bites there.. ow they serve great free coffee. hehe

Staff were polite and helpful. Room and bathroom very clean.

• 27th Jun 2014

The location of the guesthouse is strategically located in the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage Georgetown, making it ideal for backpackers and for guests who prefer closer to town. Less than 5 minutes walk from the guesthouse, you will find yourself along Jalan Chulia where hawker stalls will be set up from evening till late night. I am very impressed with my double room ensuite. Very clean and tidy! Thumbs up! Parking may be a problem but I managed to find one throughout my stay.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Malaysia

The lights of the toilet and room cannot function sometimes.

• 20th Jun 2014
  • Malaysia

Best there is in Georgetown, great city as well

warm hospitality good water pressure cleanliness okay but beware of bedbugs. guests in our group got badly bitten. breakfast could be better.

• 19th Jun 2014
  • Singapore

Hi, thanks for the review. We had cleaned the room thoroughly and will closely monitor the condition from time to time.

Too noisy.

• 19th Jun 2014

Stayed here before and loved it. Great hostel and great location. The staff are super friendly. Great hostel!

no comment about the Old Penang Guesthouse...

• 13th Jun 2014
  • Malaysia

Great location, great building and atmosphere. The rooms were very clean and quite spacious. We slept without problems here. Also, the showers and toilets are very clean. People at the desk are also very friendly and helpfull. One Tip I can give you for Penang when it comes to have a nice rest day is to go to the Park Royal Penang Resort. They have a great swimming pool along the sea, buy a day ticket for about 40 RM per person. Of which 23 RM you can spend on food and drinks.

We only stayed one night as the room and bathroom were very small and there was nowhere to unpack and put away clothes, and as we had booked for 7 nights we wanted a bit more space. It was a nice old building and the staff were very pleasant. Breakfast was just toast and tea/coffee. No fruit as was mentioned in other reviews. The place was clean but very shabby. Location excellent as within walking distance of ferry, Clan Jetties and other sights with hawker stalls just round the corner.

• 9th Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

some of the furniture at the front of guesthouse are "OLD" enough to make change already ! put more plant at the front to block the sunshine especially afternoon times. Average are excellent !!!

• 8th Jun 2014
  • Malaysia

Such a charming heritage house! I really enjoyed my brief stay here. Great open family area and breakfast (toast & coffee) is available until noon for late sleepers. Superb location on Love Lane. Friendly & helpful staff.

The Old Penang Guesthouse is a very nice place. Unfortunately the have a big problem with bed bugs. My friends and I got bitten.

• 6th Jun 2014