Reggae Penang Love Lane Hostel Reviews

57, Love Lane, 10200 Georgetown Penang, Penang, Malaysia

I was very disappointed with the service of Reggae Penang, the staff rejected my booking, asked me to come back at night, then said there was no room at all

Staff was very kind. Some are from Bangladesh. Whenever i ask help, they helped me very well and friendly. Especially, I was happy to meet Charlie Uncle. He was so kind . I remember one incidence. i had to run errands so left from hostel early morning and he took me bus stop in person cuz he was worried about my safety . It was so touching i wanted to extend my staying . That much , this hostel is great and have special atmosphere.

• 24th Jun 2015
  • South Korea

It's a party hostel. Don't aspect to sleep there at night

Place was over booked so they put me in another hostel. Next stay I could go back. Heared it happens more. Rooms where nice and breakfast was ok.

Great location. Guy who runs it is great! atmosphere isn't amazing, think hostel should organise more social events but otherwise very easy to meet people and organise your own plans. Very clean and beds are good!

They clearly have a bed bug problem and I'm not sure how well it's being dealt with. Should have listened to my boyfriend when we were being taken to our room and there was mattresses out on the deck and he said that was a sign of bed begs. Sure enough, my bunk was infested. I was moved right away to a bunk right next to the previous one, which seemed clean but I'm not sure how it could be free of them... There was a new person in the old bunk later that night after they had cleaned it.

After staying in reggae mansion in KL I was a little disappointed with this hostel as it didn't seem to have the same vibe & if I was travelling alone would maybe have struggled to meet people but I think we were just there at a really quiet time. Apart from this the hostel is fine, good capsule beds so you get your privacy, toilets & showers are clean, it's in a good location &walking distance from most things in Georgetown. I would stay here again just for the comedy value of charlie Chaplin!!

The building is modern and well decorated, wifi is great within the main building, not the rooms. I was really enjoyi my stay until the boss came into my room and gave me a massage while I was trying to sleep. Totally freaked me out. I also realized after I had left I was covered in bites and had over 100 itchy burning bed bug bites all over my arms and body which were awful in the heat and took over a week to clear away. All reviews everyone says the same. Stay on a top bunk if you can!!

Highly recommend place to stay, with welcoming staff and great atmosphere

• 9th May 2015
  • British Virgin Islands

This was my second time staying here and Charlie just makes this place, love it. Also love that every bed is completely private with a wall and blackout curtain

Not as amazing as reggae in kuala lumpur but a nice cool hostel , Charlie on reception absolute legend buzzin personality great to have around and fun to listen to, rest of the staff are fun too! AC is spot on aswell

Charlie is a real character and will always be around to help. The bathrooms could have been a bit better and the water heating isn't great, but it's quite hot in Penang so this wasn't too much of an issue. I really liked the dorm pods!

Charlie makes this hostel complete. We will miss him!

Great rooms, great staff but the washrooms need more cleaning. I love how there's a lot of chairs/tables inside and outside. Funny how the manager and the staff wanted to take pictures with me and another girl on our last day but not anyone else.

Love the pod type beds with curtains its almost like having your own room.

• 10th Mar 2015

Amazing staff - uncle Charlie makes this place truly special! Breakfast is brilliant, rotti dhaal - so yum! Great rooms, highly recommend!

Had a really good time here! Nice beds with a lot of privacy and clean toilets and showers. The location is great and the hostel has a nice bar downstairs where you easily meet new people. The host, Charlie, is amazing!! He told me a lot and is very funny! He also did my laundry and booked me a taxi to the airport. The hostel is a little bit expensive though. And when you sleep in one of the front dorms it can be noisy because of the bar (but I'm normally a bad sleeper and I slept really good).

This is the best hostel I stayed in for all of SE Asia. Very clean and comfortable. The breakfast is more than just toast. Excellent atmosphere. The owner of the hostel was in town (from Singapore). He treated myself and all of the other backpackers to a 5L bottle of Johnnie Walker at Reggae Bar. Staff is awesome. The set up is excellent. Each bed is in its own "cubbie" - plenty of privacy, and plenty of common space outside to socialize. You should definitely stay here.

Great location. Cool people. Weird smells in some areas. Pod beds are awesome but mattresses getting old. Owner was very cool and bought us free booze!

Reggae Penang in Love Lane was a really comfortable hostel. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get to know some people. You can have some drinks in Reggae Mansion, relax at the beach that is 45 minutes away or do some sightseeing. Especially the guy at the reception, Charly, was really really cute :) I had a great time there :)