Reggae Penang Love Lane Hostel Reviews

57, Love Lane, 10200 Georgetown Penang, Penang, Malaysia

Perfectly located hostel in the heart of George Town. Great set up of pod style dorms. Generally pretty clean- by Asian hostel standards. Charlie is awesome. They don't pay much attention to bookings- if you turn up and there is a free bed, it's yours. A lot of people with bookings turned away. I got a bed and had a great stay here! Noisy area though, so if you like peace and quiet to sleep, don't stay in Love Lane. Overall, a great hostel!

One of the best places I been in my trip: My stay at Reggae Penang was excellent. Rooms are clean and really comfortable I like because the rooms are 4 bed dorms. Te common areas really comfortable, great environment. But the best was the manager, Charlie he is a great man devoted for the customers, always available to help us. Thanks Charlie to make my stay really enjoyable. :)

• 9th Jul 2015
  • Spain

We arrived with a reservation and they informed us that they did not have room for us. Apparently they had given up our beds. Beware, this is not the first time this has happened.

• 5th Jul 2015

They don't understand the meaning of online reservation, they give away our reserved room, and i was forced to cancel my reservation, no refund was given.

• 4th Jul 2015
  • Philippines

very nice the place is friendly with the nice staff,having a nice conversation with mr mojo very friendly and the owner (i think)play a song to me with the harmonica and very nice althought i asking very much lol but there is a staff that ask me for move from my table which is quite impolite but overall recommend to next stay!

Great location, atmosphere and staff :-) First room was too loud, but after complaining about that I moved to a quiet one. Would definitely stay again :-)

I was very disappointed with the service of Reggae Penang, the staff rejected my booking, asked me to come back at night, then said there was no room at all

Staff was very kind. Some are from Bangladesh. Whenever i ask help, they helped me very well and friendly. Especially, I was happy to meet Charlie Uncle. He was so kind . I remember one incidence. i had to run errands so left from hostel early morning and he took me bus stop in person cuz he was worried about my safety . It was so touching i wanted to extend my staying . That much , this hostel is great and have special atmosphere.

• 24th Jun 2015
  • South Korea

It's a party hostel. Don't aspect to sleep there at night

Really good hostel and owner really friendly and helpful, including arranging an early morning taxi to the airport. Great location within walking distance of most things and very sociable hostel where people could hang out on the balcony and drink together. Would stay here again.

Place was over booked so they put me in another hostel. Next stay I could go back. Heared it happens more. Rooms where nice and breakfast was ok.

Great location. Guy who runs it is great! atmosphere isn't amazing, think hostel should organise more social events but otherwise very easy to meet people and organise your own plans. Very clean and beds are good!

They clearly have a bed bug problem and I'm not sure how well it's being dealt with. Should have listened to my boyfriend when we were being taken to our room and there was mattresses out on the deck and he said that was a sign of bed begs. Sure enough, my bunk was infested. I was moved right away to a bunk right next to the previous one, which seemed clean but I'm not sure how it could be free of them... There was a new person in the old bunk later that night after they had cleaned it.

After staying in reggae mansion in KL I was a little disappointed with this hostel as it didn't seem to have the same vibe & if I was travelling alone would maybe have struggled to meet people but I think we were just there at a really quiet time. Apart from this the hostel is fine, good capsule beds so you get your privacy, toilets & showers are clean, it's in a good location &walking distance from most things in Georgetown. I would stay here again just for the comedy value of charlie Chaplin!!

The building is modern and well decorated, wifi is great within the main building, not the rooms. I was really enjoyi my stay until the boss came into my room and gave me a massage while I was trying to sleep. Totally freaked me out. I also realized after I had left I was covered in bites and had over 100 itchy burning bed bug bites all over my arms and body which were awful in the heat and took over a week to clear away. All reviews everyone says the same. Stay on a top bunk if you can!!

Highly recommend place to stay, with welcoming staff and great atmosphere

• 9th May 2015
  • British Virgin Islands

This was my second time staying here and Charlie just makes this place, love it. Also love that every bed is completely private with a wall and blackout curtain

Not as amazing as reggae in kuala lumpur but a nice cool hostel , Charlie on reception absolute legend buzzin personality great to have around and fun to listen to, rest of the staff are fun too! AC is spot on aswell

Charlie is a real character and will always be around to help. The bathrooms could have been a bit better and the water heating isn't great, but it's quite hot in Penang so this wasn't too much of an issue. I really liked the dorm pods!

Charlie makes this hostel complete. We will miss him!