Roots and Boots Hostel Reviews

Rua Campo do Cruceiro do Gaio,7, Santiago de Compostela, Spain

Very welcoming and charming hostel. Thanks Lola for all the great help and Pulpo tips. You rock!

The best of this hostel is its owners, Cristina and Felipe, who are very kind and helpful and make you feel at home. They sell good meals for fair prices also. Great wifi and facilities. However, the hostel is a bit far away from the train and bus stations, which is annoying (but very close to the main square Obradoiro), and it was hard to find in my arrival. Also, i would like more social atmosphere.

Very disappointing hostel taking advantage of the summer accommodation crunch in Santiago by cramming beds into every corner and charging premium prices for them. Problems included: 1. Insufficient and dirty bathrooms - 30-45 minute queues 2. Dining/chill area pictured in listing did not exist - had been filled with beds 3. Tiny room with no lockers in room 4. People sleeping in the hallways 5. Advertised laundry service, but were too busy to help me on the day I was there

Hola. I cancelled my reservation on the same day in the morning early (booked 36 hours before) and even if I was told they will not they took the money anyway. Not correct! Best Regards. Stefano.

• 23rd Aug 2015

Thank you very much!!! :)

I personally loved the ambience in this hostel! You meet wonderful people, the owner is a sweet man and is very friendly. However, after consulting with a few people the directions are very poor and t was very hard to find the hostel. The location is amazing, has a beautiful view of the cathedral. The Internet is also very very poor everywhere, you barely get any wifi in the lobby. The bathrooms should be cleaned more often, but overall good experience.

Everything is ok but the number of bathrooms is ridicolous compared to the number of people per floor.

pretty decent. nothing special though.

Toilettes and WC is too small

The hostel was very clean, but what bothered me was that that were no lockers available to put your stuff, there were no stairs to get to the top bunk and the sheets were really bad.

The mail communication was really unfriendly: Two days befor my arrival I sent an email to cancel my booking and they answered in spanish in a very! unkind way. It might have been to late to cancel but 1. The description "48 hours befor the date if arrival" is unclear 2. They could have been obliging and not charge the whole price what they did! They didn't even answer to my second mail and I'm sure that some other guest took my place that night so that they charged double! Not nice at all!

Extremely friendly and pleasant staff!

I had decent expectations for this hostel based on the reviews - however, once I arrived I realized that the reviews must have been written by teens who wanted to party. The mattresses in the bunks are the cheap foam and are falling apart, and the bunks are the old peeling metal type and are jam packed. My friends found feces on the bathroom floor. When I asked for a refund so I could stay somewhere else I was treated rudely and never reimbursed. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• 24th Jul 2015

I enjoyed my stay at roots and boots, the garden is beautiful!! however as I was not walking the camino I was a bit of an odd one out. They supply you with covers to put on top of the linens for hygiene, there are wool blankets available but it's better to have a sleeping bag.

when you arrive late it is not so nice that there is no one to ask anything, reception closes at 22. a bit noisy rooms, but apart from that pleasant and nice garden.

good hostel to stay in Santiago the Compostela. Not really fond of the atmosphere.

Thanks for making our stay so enjoyable.

LOVED this place. Place is an easy walk from city center and it has a great patio area with lots of trees and plants where everyone eats and drinks together. The atmosphere is great, and the staff is super friendly and knowlegable. Pretty quiet at nighttime but you can sit outside and have a drink if ya fancy.

I really enjoyed my stay at Roots & Boots hostel: had to finish a deadline and the lovely garden was the best place to do so. GRACIAS!

• 20th Jun 2015

A nice place to stay after time on the Camino as it's pretty close to the cathedral (albeit across a few congested streets) and has a large garden area for gathering with fellow pilgrims or other guests. It's also convenient that they have a little restaurant inside. No locks on room doors, but there are small lockers available and the front door code changes each day. Pretty simple accommodations with small showers and WC's, but it did the job!

View all Santiago de Compostela Hostels