San Juan International Hostel Reviews

1452 Calle America Parada 20, Urb. Hipodromo, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Had a great time staying at SJI Hostel. The staff was nice, the facilities were good. Could've been a little cleaner, but overall great hostel!

• 14th Mar 2014
  • Pakistan

Really loved the atmosphere! It felt like a home. The place was exceptionally clean, too--the sheets smelled great! The private rooms are a little small, and there is only one bathroom in the general section (there's another in the male dorm), so that can be an issue when the hostel is full.

I thought the staff was very nice and friendly. Stores were close to walk to.

• 15th Feb 2014

At first the staff seemed very nice, but then he didn't explain the payment process very well and there was a misunderstanding about when you have to pay. I began receiving text message threats that my belongings were going to be thrown out and my room would be blocked. Also that I was treating him unfairly. I was forced to cut my dinner short so I could take care of the situation and resolve the misunderstanding. It was very unprofessional. It seemed like the guy running it is bipolar.

The owner was very rude and abrupt on the phone. He would not let me leave my bag in a common area while I waited til check in. I have traveled all over the world for yeras and this was my most rude encounter. He was much kinder in person and helpful after the fact. The rooms were tiny and crowded but the place was very clean and had some good common areas. San Juan is overpriced in general so this was actually an economical choice. It is near to some beach and museums and public transport.

• 19th Jan 2014

Really cool place! Francisco, the manager, was super friendly and super helpful. He made sure I had everything I needed. There is lots to do in the area and many things like the beach and nice restaurants are within walking distance. Also nice that it's a little off the beaten path, situated in a residential neighborhood, for those who like me don't want to be surrounded by typical tourists when you travel.

I called first to tel them that i will be there arourn 2 in the morning and they said it was ok but when i arrived, no body was waiting for me. A custumer wake up in the middle of the night to open the door for me et give me the number of the owner. It was saying : "call anytime" so i called and the owner tell me, i dont have room for you take the coach. I call again in the morning and he said, i dońt have room for you, sorry, find a other place and you owe me 15$ because you wake me up!!!!!!

• 3rd Jan 2014

Francisco was super friendly. helpful and available. Would recommend to anyone looking for a cheap place to stay. No noise issue and dorms were well-ventilated, comfy, clean.

• 1st Jan 2014
  • Malaysia

The atmosphere is fantastic. Its a very relaxed setting that almost feels like a coffee shop with bedrooms attached. Francisco, the owner, is pleasant and accommodating. When he heard that we were going camping the second week he let us borrow his tent! The neighborhood isn't the most appealing, however, it is safe and within walking distance to the beach. Also, the bus line to take you to Old San Juan is a block way. If you're looking for a hostel in San Juan, this is the place to stay.

• 23rd Dec 2013

EXCELLENT HOSTEL (I have stayed in 2 others in San Juan and this one was far superior) It is clean, well lit, has excellent air circulation and zero mosquitoes. The beds are comfortable and the outside covered terrace is relaxing. It is only 2 blocks from most major bus routes in San Juan. Francisco, the owner, is very very nice and helpful. He went way out of his way for me to make sure that my stay in San Juan and the rest of Puerto Rico was the best possible. THANK YOU FRANCISCO

Very friendly staff! thanks for all the info, support and everything!!!

One of the best hostels ever. Unique atmosphere, very kind and helpfull crew. Just book and enjoy the stay :) thank you very much :D

Francisco, the owner, is a good guy and the hostel is a good value for the low sum of money you pay. The location doesn't seem so good, but you can get around it OK. There's a computer available for internet, which is nice.

Stayed here two nights with my boyfriend, we had the private room. The owner was really nice and helpful, he picked us from the airport and showed us all the bus stops and stores etc on the way to the hostel. The hostel is in a quiet suburb, we felt safe walking around there and a small shop is nearby. There is a good info wall at the hostel and an internet and a wifi. Only thing that could be improved is the kitchen...the pans were in a poor shape, but the pancakes were good. I recommend.

• 13th Nov 2013
  • Finland

Francisco was the most helpful and friendly host. Thank you Francisco!

• 26th Oct 2013