Sanlitun Youth Hostel Reviews

No.1 Chunxiu Lu(Gong Ti Bei Lu), Chaoyang District, Beijing, China

Was a very nice stay. I especially liked the outside area at night, very social and fun to have a few beers. Was great location for me because it is close to the embassies, and because there are many good cheap restaurants nearby.

The location was close to the bar street and the big shops, a 10-15 min walk to the closest metro. The staff were quite helpful. The downpoints are no wifi in rooms, laundry was really expensive, the bathroom were shared men and women for the private rooms and I didn't like having to shower and wash with men in the room.

The hostel is really well located and the bar/restaurant are a bit expensive but really good with a helpful and friendly staff that speaks good english (it's not that common in China!). My only regret is that there's wifi in the lobby but not in the room!!

Good selection of European beers at the bar, food available too (although I didn't try any), and the hostel is fairly well located for Sanlitun, particularly if you want to go to the big clubs which are about 10 minute walk away! Toilets and showers were pretty clean, and I never had to wait. Bad points: It's about a 15 minute walk to the nearest metro station. The wifi only works on the ground floor and isn't the best. Go to Great Leap Brewing round the corner for beers and burgers!

Located in an upmarket area but not near tourist sites. 15 min walk to a major metro stop--the one that goes directly to airport so very convenient. Much like a hotel--no common area except 2 sofas & pool table in a room off lobby. Attached restaurant but no kitchen; nearby convenience stores; pleasant outdoor patio. Not on street so it's quiet. Washrooms cleaned daily. 4 bed (no bunks) dorm room was small, 4 not-large lockers, 1 table, 1 stool, but light and 2 sockets for each bed.

Great and fun place. Everything is clean and they provide a lot of help for booking tours. No wifi outside of the first floor. The AC units in the rooms are old so it's really hot at night. I stayed in two rooms and it was the same situation.

The atmosphere is great and its location is very good (close to bar street). The stuff was quite helpful, ready to answer all our questions. What I didnt like was that there was no laundry room and it was quite expensive to wash any clothes in the hostel (20RMB per kilo if I am not mistaken).

It's a bit hard to find as its off the main road and through several courtyards. Rooms were a little dated, but the en suite in the room was gross, with a few plumbing problems needing addressed.

• 10th Aug 2015
  • Northern Ireland

We needed to book a 3 bed room, and this hostel served the purpose fine. The nearest subway Dongsishitiao is a 10 minute walk away, which is fine unless you're in the searing August heat. It's a little tricky to find, but once you see the Bali Spa and Mexican Kitchen, just walk through the tunnel and it's right there. Most staff were very pleasant, but the food was very slow. There are a number of varied and good restaurants on your walk to the subway. Also walking distance to Sanlitun.

A lovely hostel to stay at. 10 - 15 minutes walk from Dongsi Shitiao subway station on line 2. Clean and well maintained. Lovely staff who are very helpful and speak good English. Good food available. Also very good location - near to many Chinese restaurants and Western eateries (McDonald's, Starbucks, Subway etc.). 5 minutes walk to Beijing Workers Stadium for football matches. I really enjoyed the stay at this hostel and recommend it.

• 6th Aug 2015
  • Wales

Excellent hostel and a wonderful staff.

• 5th Aug 2015

Good hostel and I will be back again.

No toilet paper inside of the toilets, bad location (far away from the subway, far away from all tourist attractions), party hostel, which means that specially on the weekends, people are loud and drunk. Compared to other hostels in Beijing, it's expensive (rooms and food). The only positive aspect is, if you like Sanlitun (foreigners area with bars), then it's quite near, but everything else is really far away.

The staff was very nice and the hostel lounge facilities were cool and inviting. Very good breakfasts available! The problem was with the en suite room. The beds were rock hard and the air conditioning was very weak. The toilet seat was loose and the shower had no enclosure from the rest of the bathroom so everything got all wet when you tried to take a shower. I ended up using the shared hallway showers instead which at least kept our bathroom from getting soaked.

Not a bad place but not great for the price. Staff booked me into a full dormitory despite reservation and had to reshuffle. Dorms were okay. Good location. Niceish bar with cheap drinks, probably would have enjoyed it much more if I was, say, an 18 year old Brit belting out Oasis numbers, like many of the other guests. If you think the Full Moon Party at Koh Pha Ngan is the apex of a really good time you will probably love this place.

I enjoyed my stay in the sanlitun hostel. The atmosphere is good, the staff friendly with good English. and the location (especially if you want to party) is very good. I found the walk from the subway a little confusing. Especially as google maps doesn't work. Improvements that could be made would be internet in the room, a bathmat as the shower room is a wet room so wet footprints made our floor very slippery.

Where to start, the wifi is there but it's the slowest I've seen. Staff is helpful but don't have matters. They checked in a group of 4 people in my 6 dorm at 1:30 in the morning instead of giving them the 4 dorm. Music at the bar will blow your mind how ridiculous it is, you will have blasting dub step in the morning followed with shitty country. Eve been living 5 years in dorm and hostel around the world and even in the most party hostel I was sleeping more, problem is there is no party going!

This hostel is located in a great area in Beijing. The common spaces are very vibrant and the food is amongst the best inexpensive western food I've come across in Beijing. The rooms were not the cleanest and the water from the bathroom leaked into the bedroom space and the waiters were much nicer than the receptionists. Our family was skeptical of staying here at first, but the common spaces really helped compensate for the 'homey' feeling that the rooms lacked.

First the cons: - having building works going on while I was there (noisy and smelly) - having to lug my things up a few flights of stairs, and the staff not telling me where to go... -Not knowing I could only pay cash and had to put a deposit down also (also only cash) pros -They were happy to make afformentioned deposit less because I did not have lots of cash with me -Booking a tour to the Great Wall was easy and hassle free

SanLiTun was a great hostel. Clean friendly and close to the station dashisitian station. The staff here is really what made it great. Very welcoming and friendly. Corin is one of the managers of the restaurant and she helped me so much. There was some trouble with my bank which she did her best to fix for me. Beijing is a lot of fun and this Hostel made it even better.

• 18th Jul 2015