Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

we enjoyed every time in Shelter City. The breakfast was tasty, room clean and all the time we feel calm spirit atmosphere. If we will come back to Amsterdam, we certainly will come back to Shelter City. Thanks for your services.

• 2nd Feb 2016
  • Slovakia

Good hostel. Very cheap for such a great location (middle of red district). Breakfast included! The rest is pretty much ordinary.

Very good located, 50m from the red light district, but no bothering athmosphere. The staff is always smiling and helpful! Beds confortable and both bedroom and bathroom very clean! If I come back to Amsterdam I'll come back to shelter city!

The security and location as well as the cleanliness are all good in this hostel but that is about the only thing. In my experience, the staff made me feel very uncomfortable and were not overly inviting and were more concerned that I may be going out to drink or do drugs. That being said it made the atmosphere extremely unwelcoming and as a result me and my friend checked out two days early because we never wanted to be at the hostel.

Great location, safe, clean, 24h reception, reception staff ok, not particuliary friendly but ok, nothing bad to report.

Location is excellent, in the middle of the Red Light Distric, yet quite peaceful. The staff is extremely helpful, and very well organized, especially considering they are volunteers. Rooms and bathrooms are clean and well-kept, although rooms are quite small (at least mine was). The breakfast is substantial and tasty. The security at the entrance is on a high level. The only thing that I was kind of missing was some kind of lounge with couches to relax an hang out. There is caffe though.

My stay at shelter city was mostly underwhelming. I would say that the staff were poor that would be unfair to the one or two who actually seemed to care. There is no key card system so you can only enter the building by flashing your paper ticket which is extremely inconvenient when carrying things. There was no kitchen, lockers were outside of the bedroom, breakfast while tasty was limited. And there was absolutley 0 atmosphere. Would be nice if you were allowed to drink inside of the hostel.

The best hostel that I've been to. Very good breakfast for the price, It's even possible to ask for a breakfast to go when you check out early. Staff nice and helpful, meals served for a fair price. Showers are warm, it was clean and safe, great location,

• 25th Jan 2016

Very nice stay overall.

Nice hostel with very welcoming and helpful staff.. close to all the main things you need to see in Amsterdam! Highly recommend staying here.

Wonderful people, Wonderful staff, lively and interesting marketplace and at an accessible distance from all attractions!!! Good clean place and good food.

Great location, nice staff.

Very nice hostel with amazing people!!!! My friend and me are very happy of our choice!!! We will come back as soon as possible

• 21st Jan 2016

My favorite thing about the Shelter was probably the warm and friendly staff, the ease of meeting other, friendly travellers, the beautiful garden, and the location in the city. As a Christian, it was a great encouragement to have some of them kindly pray for me during evening prayer, and I found that the Bible Meditation was an excellent time of quiet reflection and also a good way to get to know others better. The breakfast was also wonderful!

+ : great location in the city center and close to the metro/ subway ; very calm ; breakfast included ; fridge & microwave if you buy something at the nearby supermarket ; café (didn't try it) - : no atmosphere ; christian things everywhere (on the walls, and bibles on the tables in the common room) ; it's coooooold (there's a radiator but I'm not sure it works properly)

I just have to say that whenever i plan to visit amsterdam again i will stay in shelter city only.

• 20th Jan 2016
  • India

Staff were lovely upon welcome. The hostel is right near the red light district. Just a pre warn. It was fairly comfortable at night. Wifi was very good for hostels I have stayed on before. It did get quite noisy a few times at night. But I don't think this is normal as the whole atmosphere was very relaxed. It is a christian hostel but you don't have to be christian to stay of course. There are talks and prayer meetings which they offer for free but are in no way forced or guilted into going.

Clean environment, clean beds, fair breakfast. The no noise after 23:00 o'clock rule doesn't really exist, to my annoiance. But overall a good experience.

• 19th Jan 2016

We had a very quiet stay at Shelter City. It's definitely a good place to stay if you don't want people coming in late drunk or high and waking everyone up. There was a huge group of young students with teachers there. The staff are pleasant and we had some good experiences with asking for directions from the staff for certain places. I did not like that the cafe in the back wasn't open all night or self serve. The location is good. It was an okay stay and for what you pay it's what you get.

Terrible breakfast. You only choose one option between three available. No privacy in the rooms at all. No space between the beds. Too noisy if you stay in a big room. Location is good, though.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7