Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Very good hostel. The towels were 1 euro but breakfast is included in the price. The location is prime because it is in the heart of the red light district. The staff was solid but sometimes did not help as much as they could.

It's great to be able to go out and have all the and then be able to come back to a relaxed envirenment. This hostel is very refreshing. Thanks Shelter City!

• 28th Apr 2015

As I was told by others, there aren't any good & affordable hostels in Amsterdam, but this may unfortunately be one of the better ones. The location is fantastic (aside from being literally in the red light district) and the staff were welcoming and very nice. After that things start to drop off. Not the cleanest place or the best facilities. The atmosphere was the worst part. Lots of older/kinda creepy people. No social environment outside of the hosts (wish I talked to them more). Not my fav.

I'm Christian and I work for the church, still the Shelter was a bit much in regards of mission and religious views

• 28th Apr 2015

I enjoyed my stay here, the staff were very friendly and chatty.

Very good price and central location. The only issue for me was the fact that each bed didn't have a power outlet. There are reading lights for each bunk. Why not put an outlet next to each of the lights, tapping its electric cable? That is standard with most hostels and would make satisfy most people, who usually have several electrical devices with them, like their mobile phones and laptops.

It in the heart of red light district ironically. The room doesn't have key but had lockers in which i can leave my belongings though i didn't have padlock with me and didn't need one as i stayed only one night. Was an average hostel

I was remarkably disappointed in Shelter City - when I arrived, I was told which room I was assigned to (and not given a key, since the room didn't have a lock). Within ten minutes, I was concerned by a gentleman (about forty five years old) who was talking to himself and pacing. I brought up my concern with reception, and their only solution was to have me move rooms and pay the difference in price. I was shocked that I was charged to feel safe in "Shelter City". Poor staff and service.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is right in the heart of the city. The coffee bar is a great place for meeting people and socializing. This felt like the most secure hostel I have ever stayed in. The bathrooms were cleaned multiple times per day. The cost was cheaper than other hostels in the area. The only negative was that the hot water occationally went out in the showers. And it would be nice to have additional receptacles for charging phones at night.

• 20th Apr 2015

The location is close center and transportation top tourist places. The beds were comparable, staff was friendly, facilities are good for money. i have only one complaint about power plugs in the room. We are staying in 16 beds room, but we have only 3 power plugs for 16. Of course, they provide to charge mobiles/laptops at reception.

Everyone went out of their way to make me feel at home. From a great breakfast to a Friday night dinner to make you feel at home. I had a problem with my Sim card and the manager let me use her phone to call the States. They are truly showing their Christian values to everyone they meet. Please keep shinning your light as an example of Christianity for others. God bless you for your devotion and service to others. Rick

• 17th Apr 2015

The location for this hostel was conveniently located. Maximum of 30 minute walk to tourist spots. The beds were super comfortable and although there weren't outlets by the beds, there were plenty in the cafe. Great free breakfast. Stay includes a hot meal and hot drink (not self-serve, all you can eat like other hostels). Bathrooms weren't super clean, but not nasty either which is impressive considering how busy they are. Overall I would recommend this hostel!

Doors are noisy and sleeping is difficult, also the bathrooms are not very clean.

• 16th Apr 2015
  • Mexico

Great place to stay for a few days - nice price for a good structure! The bedroom has not so many power points so sometimes it's hard to recharge your phone/computer/camera. Nice staff - very helpful and also the hostel is in a good location, specially for those looking to stay in/close to the red light district.

Great location week point the staff and low amount of power plugs in the rooms

I just have one complaint. We arrived at hostel and I had a problem with our reservation. I needed to on a shared bedroom for one night and my family in other and change next day. Go up with bags and go with bags not because not our if you had a in you system. All the rest was ok

The top beds are a bit difficult to get to. Other than that, thank you for your hospitality.

• 14th Apr 2015

Great, helpful and friendly staff. Best staff so far :3 Walk a little bit far from bedroom to bathroom past some of the computer users but it doesn't matter Just one electricity socket available in room for 6 people (the staff says that its aimed is not disturb other people) but still a little bit inconvenient :)

Really enjoyed my stay at Shelter City - the staff were very friendly and welcoming and the location is fantastic! The facilities were also great and there was an option to get a packed breakfast if you have to leave before 8am, which was really helpful :) Thank you!

• 13th Apr 2015

Shelter: Your name is true!

• 13th Apr 2015