Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

The hostel staff is very friendly and they take good care of the hostel. Locationwise, it could not be better :) but I guess if you are intimidated by prostitutes you might not want to look left or right :D. Just kidding :)

This is a great hostel with a very charming and friendly staff! The amount of facilities provided for the price is pretty amazing! Would recommend trying it out anyday!

• 24th Aug 2015
  • India

The staff at this hostel were lovely and really welcoming however the food was expensive considering there wasn't a kitchen and having no plugs in our room was a bit of a nightmare when it came to alarms! But overall a great stay and vibe!

THIS PLACE IS GREAT. The cafe & outdoor common area are lovely. The breakfast options (emphasis on options!) were all great as well. Location is perfect~ (shockingly) close to the red light district, but right at the heart of the city. Admittedly I had some trouble meeting people upon first arriving, but I did get to speak to several of the staff members which was quite enjoyable. They were all incredibly sweet & friendly which made my stay here so lovely. :) I'd gladly stay again!

lovely people, sisters and brothers in jesus nice garden, good food

• 19th Aug 2015

I loved my stay, it was short-- but the atmosphere was so friendly and welcoming.

• 19th Aug 2015

Really dated and tired facilities. It looks much better online. Best thing is the location. 15 euro deposit seems excessive. Best thing is the location.

• 16th Aug 2015
  • Japan

It's a great location hostel! Everything is so close, everything is within walking distance. But the stuffs are not very good at handling many people at the same time, it took me ages to check out, sometimes when I was thinking to ask direction or advice, but it took so long time for the waiting, I have to give up.

I enjoyed it a lot! The hostel is placed in the center of Amsterdam so everything is really close to reach by walk. Toilets are clean. The dorms are crowded but each person has got his own locker for free. The atmosphere is comfortable and the staff is very nice. Breakfast is included (lots of good stuff) but the best thing is the small yard when it's sunny! I recommend it for sure!

The staff is really kind, the location is perfect.

Very noisy, people playing table tennis outside the dorm until midnight both nights. Arrived for breakfast at 8am (stated time for breakfast), door locked, member of staff sitting talking, he looked up, continued to talk, proceeded to pray for 5 minutes. Even in a christian hostel, deliberately keeping people waiting 10 minutes is unacceptable, should be done before 8am. Only allowed 1 piece of fruit for breakfast even though we don't have a cooked breakfast. Reception staff were very helpful.

Some staff members are not kind and they are query about our religions, behaviors etc. Hostel's atmosphere was poor. Breakfast is good. Location is very very good.

The staffs are cery kind and the location was close to the central station.

A really lovely hostel with great staff!! Will definitely recommend it to friends

Weren't allowed to drink or smoke blifters but they had a quality ping pong table.

very nice and helpful people & comfortable cafeteria. Thank you!

• 10th Aug 2015

I really enjoyed staying at Shelter. It is very cosy place, especially the common area and the yard with the pond. All people working there were very friendly and helpful. I felt really safe, I liked a lot that the entrance was possible only with the pass so that only guests could enter inside. It is really great that the breakfast is included. I would definitely recommend this place to my friends and would love to stay here again.

• 9th Aug 2015
  • Slovenia

What a great place! I came here for the location (in the red light district and just behind the NieuwMarkt) and the free breakfast (french toast and coffee). The staff was really friendly and the dorms are roomy. I don't identify with the religious aspect, but that wasn't a problem - if you're easily offended then perhaps steer clear, as they do have some sermons and bible studies. The only issue for me was that there are no door keys, so once you're inside the hostel there's no security.

Everything was amazing, the only thing was my sheets were slightly stained but otherwise everything was very clean.

The hostel was great. The location is excelent you can walk to all the major touristic points in the city. The breakfest is nice and all the staff is polite and ready to help.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7