Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

This was the first hostel I stayed at on my backpacking trip through Europe. I hope all the rest are like Shelter City. I felt at home. Everyone was very kind and accommodating. They speak English. The Red Light District is literary right around the corner to your left and on the right you are in the center of cafes, coffee shops, shopping alleys. Nothing is too far from this hostel. I would definitely stay here again. Thank you Shelter City for your wonderful hospitality!

• 28th Aug 2015

Everything was great, and I rarely say that! Bathrooms were probably the cleanest I've seen thus far. Breakfast with different meal options is great. Loved the atmosphere. I wish people would respect the no drugs and no alcohol policy. Book another hostel if you can't survive without 'warming up' at the hostel. But that's not the hostel's fault so it is in no way a minus. Will definitely recommend to friends traveling to Amsterdam.

• 27th Aug 2015
  • Croatia

The hostel has a great location around 10 minutes walk from the main train station and Dam square. It was very clean and breakfast was fantastic! If you are looking for a quiet hostel in Amsterdam then this is the place to stay!

Key strengths: clean and secure. Key weakness: no kitchen. I would definitely stay here again !!

The hostel staff is very friendly and they take good care of the hostel. Locationwise, it could not be better :) but I guess if you are intimidated by prostitutes you might not want to look left or right :D. Just kidding :)

This is a great hostel with a very charming and friendly staff! The amount of facilities provided for the price is pretty amazing! Would recommend trying it out anyday!

• 24th Aug 2015
  • India

The staff at this hostel were lovely and really welcoming however the food was expensive considering there wasn't a kitchen and having no plugs in our room was a bit of a nightmare when it came to alarms! But overall a great stay and vibe!

This hostel is my favorite.

THIS PLACE IS GREAT. The cafe & outdoor common area are lovely. The breakfast options (emphasis on options!) were all great as well. Location is perfect~ (shockingly) close to the red light district, but right at the heart of the city. Admittedly I had some trouble meeting people upon first arriving, but I did get to speak to several of the staff members which was quite enjoyable. They were all incredibly sweet & friendly which made my stay here so lovely. :) I'd gladly stay again!

lovely people, sisters and brothers in jesus nice garden, good food

• 19th Aug 2015

I loved my stay, it was short-- but the atmosphere was so friendly and welcoming.

Shelter City was amazing, the staff were so friendly and the whole place has a great atmosphere-- the garden and café you could spend the whole day just relaxing and its beautiful and quiet despite being right in the heart of the city. the value is so great too-- the breakfast is the best of any hostel I've stayed at and its included!

I stayed there for three nights with my sisters. The staff are pretty friendly and helpful. However, it 's not that peace and quiet during the later night as we expected. Every night there were quite a few people talking and smoking that we could hear the noise and smell fumes coming from the courtyard. It's such a drawback.

Really dated and tired facilities. It looks much better online. Best thing is the location. 15 euro deposit seems excessive. Best thing is the location.

• 16th Aug 2015
  • Japan

It's a great location hostel! Everything is so close, everything is within walking distance. But the stuffs are not very good at handling many people at the same time, it took me ages to check out, sometimes when I was thinking to ask direction or advice, but it took so long time for the waiting, I have to give up.

I enjoyed it a lot! The hostel is placed in the center of Amsterdam so everything is really close to reach by walk. Toilets are clean. The dorms are crowded but each person has got his own locker for free. The atmosphere is comfortable and the staff is very nice. Breakfast is included (lots of good stuff) but the best thing is the small yard when it's sunny! I recommend it for sure!

The staff is really kind, the location is perfect.

Very noisy, people playing table tennis outside the dorm until midnight both nights. Arrived for breakfast at 8am (stated time for breakfast), door locked, member of staff sitting talking, he looked up, continued to talk, proceeded to pray for 5 minutes. Even in a christian hostel, deliberately keeping people waiting 10 minutes is unacceptable, should be done before 8am. Only allowed 1 piece of fruit for breakfast even though we don't have a cooked breakfast. Reception staff were very helpful.

Some staff members are not kind and they are query about our religions, behaviors etc. Hostel's atmosphere was poor. Breakfast is good. Location is very very good.

The staffs are cery kind and the location was close to the central station.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7