Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

there needs to be more outlets in the rooms as well as larger bathroom facilities. it could be crowded at times

• 14th Nov 2014

excelente hostel!!!!

A really nice place to stay!

• 12th Nov 2014
  • Mexico

This place was great. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean. They serve a good breakfast which is included. They have a cute little cafe for drinks and some light food and general hanging out. Only draw back was having to leave items at the desk for charging but I can understand they probably don't want to overload circuits. This is a Christian hostel, so no drinking or smoking. Is really mellow at night when you just want to sleep. If looking for party hostel, this isn't it.

Shelter City is an amazing hostel, right in the hearth of Amsterdam. The staff is very friendly, you will have a breakfast every morning, it is the time of the day when you can enjoy the amazing atmosphere, everyone is smileying. I enjoyed my time there, I recommend this place for staying in Amsterdam. Thank you very much.

• 11th Nov 2014
  • Romania

This was a great hostel and we had such a good experience with our stay. The staff was very friendly and always willing to help, and the overall vibe was very laid back and relaxing. The breakfast in the morning was delicious and the cafe where you eat had great music and comfy chairs to enjoy in. The location is very close to the red light district which made getting back to the hostel an adventure at night, but in terms of being close to the city center and things to do it was ideal.

• 9th Nov 2014

The only big problem actually was the drunken and loud people coming to sleep in the middle if the night in the dormitory. So bad night but it s not a problem from the hostel! Really nice persons at the reception and bar. Breakfast a bit light but good and served with a smile.

• 9th Nov 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff

Decent spot. Security was like a high-tech prison, but I suppose that's worth the hassle when you're in red light. Free breakfast was nice, but wasn't so tasty. I wish the lockers were in the rooms, because they could be broken into. The doors to the rooms are often left unlocked. There were a bunch of older people that appeared to be using the hostel as a holdover between jobs. On the computers day and night. That was really weird. Bad atmosphere. Overall though, good value for the money.

I didn't know what "Christian Hostel" stands for, so I was quite suprised at my arriving. But for every religious christian person, I think it's a nice place to be. But for anybody else it's not the right place to stay in Amsterdam

The beds are really confortable, and the breakfast is really good. The location is really far away from the center but there are buses all night long.

The staff was really nice and helpful. The bed was comfortable and the location was in the center of Amsterdam. The breakfast was poor....

A good hostel. The breakfast was good, but I wish it had a kitchen (it only has a refrigerator and a microwave). I thought the location was great, but be aware that it is right in the center of the red light district.

We stayed in this hostel for 3 nights over the weekend in I think 16 or 14 bed hostel. The location is great right near the red light district. The rooms were okay, i felt clostrophobic in my bunk as there was hardly any room between me and the other person, it was ridiculous. Don't stay here if your gonna be partying, there is no atmosphere for it what so ever. Some of the staff were a bit rude to us if we forgot the tiny peice of paper you need to enter the building. Really good free wifi tho!

• 31st Oct 2014

For sharing a room with 16 beds I think it is expensive. The breakfast was so good and the staff at the breakfast time was so kind.

The front desk was very helpful. The security at the facility was great. Although the hostel was a bit dated.

I spent only one night in a 4-bed room with it own toilet/bathroom. It was very clean and the the fellow room mates were very friendly. Very quiet. There was free dinner in the evening I stayed and also the free breakfast of eggs on toast with ham was very good. The staff who are volunteers organised a free tour of the city which was very good. All in all, I'd recommend and stay here again.

• 31st Oct 2014

very nice, particularly in location.. Easy to find the place,

• Thailand

There is no plug in the rooms and the bathrooms are very dirty.

I loved the Christian atmosphere! I am a Christian and have been studying abroad for a few months now, and your hostel reminded me of home. It was so nice to walk into a building with a familiar environment.

• 29th Oct 2014