Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Pro's: - good value for money - location - breakfast included, and good enough - bathrooms clean Con's: - Depending on who will stay with you in the room can be a little bit noisy - There are not so many power supplies in the rooms - Every time you get back to the hostel you have to present the check in ticket. Is a good thing in the end, for security reasons, but it can be a little bit troubling especially when you have bags with you.

• 22nd May 2015
  • Romania

perfect! :D

• 22nd May 2015

Not clean enough. Blankets were filthy and covered with long strands of hair.

• 21st May 2015
  • Spain

Just like other reviesw said, clean, well-located, nice staff, small room, very Christian. Nice choice if you want to have a good sleep instead of party. Very good value of money in the city center. The using of shower and room is limited due to the cleaning time. The checkout time is before 10:00am. The luggauge can only be left until 6pm on checkout date. These are something that the travelers might want to take into consideration.

The volunteers were extremely nice and ready to help. The hostel is also in the city centre, and provides additional services such as bike renting. Great atmosphere and a lovely garden! Overall, a great stay!

The staff are amazing and the atmosphere is very safe and friendly. It's not a party hostel which I was completely fine with. The only complaint is that there are not enough plugs strewn about but I was told that was for safety reasons; the front desk gladly operates a charging station free of charge which they secure and manage for you There is also luggage storage if you have a later trip out. Finally, there is a rule of no staying for longer than 1 month.

This place was a such a deal, great location, free hot breakfast, and very safe. Was thinking the fact that it was a Christian hostel wouldn't be a big deal as I am not religious, but i felt out of place here for that reason.

It was my first time in a dorm; otherwise I was used to book a hotel for my work tours. I had my hick-ups when I booked this dorm, away from my comfort zone. But at Shelter city I had a really nice time. Staff there were friendly and helpful. Place was clean and I had a good experience with fellow travelers in the dorm.

• 18th May 2015
  • India

It was great, its located in the heart of Amsterdam, rooms are clean, staff is friendlly. We enjoyed our stay

• 17th May 2015
  • Serbia

Everything was great with the hostel. The staff was super friendly. There was no card key system but you had to show a piece of paper to enter. I understand why since they don't want to let anyone in. The breakfast was good. I stayed in the 4 bedroom female dorm and there were enough electrical outlets in the room and there was a sink. The bathroom facilities were clean. The location was great, everything was accessible walking.

It was a really afordable option it is clean, well located and the staff is really friendly. The only but that I have is that they dont give keys so everytime you get to the door you have to show a voucher that they gave you, which is pretty annoying.

We loved our stay at the shelter. The atmosphere was so warm and welcoming. Thanks for everything!!

• 17th May 2015
  • Switzerland

Overall I enjoyed my stay, very nice place, showers, and very fast WiFi, but the lack of power outlets in the rooms is very bad, it's good that there is a system to charger your stuff at the reception desk, but that is not a good solution in my opinion. I think the hostel should consider investing in power outlets by the beds in each room.

Very good position, very good staff gentle and professional, good breakfast, good cleanliness

First time in a Hostel. Really nice Stuff and very friendly.

• 13th May 2015
  • Austria

Serious about being a "christian" hostel, but once you get over that it was great. Clean, well-organized, charming, with free hot breakfast and a great common area.

This was by far the worst hostel I've stayed at in Europe. Some of my issues with it were: 1) There was barely any room to walk around in the rooms. They fit as many beds as they could into an extremely small space. 2) For "our security" there aren't any outlets in the rooms so we should charge our devices with reception. That's such bs. They should say we're cheap and don't want to add outlets to all the rooms. 3) Had to pay for a padlock for locker outside my room. Every place til now had a

PROS: Location is incredible. In the dead center of the red light district. Very easy to find. 10 minute walk from train station. Their security is very strict. Beds pretty comfortable. CONS: Not a party hostel whatsoever. No alcohol or drugs. Not a problem just go to a bar 2 feet away. Isn't the most high tech place but it works. Lockers are outside of the room HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOSTEL!!

This was one of my favorite hostels that I have stayed in even though I've never stayed in such a big room with so many people. I loved the Shelter philosophy and how friendly and welcoming everybody was, but how nothing was forced on anyone either. The hostel was a great location as well, and I loved how it was set up and the hot breakfast was a really good value as well. Thanks for a great stay in Amsterdam!

I'm surprise, because it's the hostel more clean, that i know!! All the Staff are so nett and with service was wonderfull!! I like it!!

• 10th May 2015