Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Great Location, friendly stuff, only negative: you cannot cook your own food. There is only a little fridge and a microwave.

I enjoyed the company I found at Shelter City, and the atmosphere. They had a good system of security, and I was very appreciative of them charging my cell phone securely in the desk drawer. The breakfast was average for a hostel, although I wished there had been a gluten-free option in there. The only small note I would like to make is that I wish I could have been allowed to stay in the hostel cafe after check-out at 10 AM, since my flight didn't leave until 8:30 PM.

• 23rd Feb 2015

excellent location, nice characteristic building. outstanding friendliness.

• 23rd Feb 2015

The staff was more than friendly and helpful, i'd come back there not because of hostel but because of great people who work there!

• Belarus

Excellent Hostel! The breakfast is good, with special options everyday, the beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are clean. It's a very calm and cozy hostel and I definitely would come back!

I had stayed only for one night! Friendly staff, good breakfast (for free), excellent location but poor facilities. Accommodation in Amsterdam costs and this is just a cheap place to stay.

Nice staff, Good spaces and gréât breakfast!

The staff was very friendly and helpful.There were few toilets and bathrooms for the amount of people sharing. There are lockers but u have to bring or buy ur own lock,we didn't put our stuff in the lockers and we had no problem. The food and drinks in the cafeteria in the hostel are really well priced and tasty.

• 15th Feb 2015
  • Greece

I really have nothing but good things to say here. The location was awesome, smack in the middle of Amsterdam, right around the corner from the red light district. We comfortably walked everywhere we wanted to go, never even ended up getting a bus ticket while we were there. That staff was beyond friendly and we were greeted with big ole smiles the minute we arrived. The breakfast is great, you always have three options to choose from, it isn't huge, but it was always tasty. No curfew either!

• 12th Feb 2015

Christian hostel. Staffs tried to persaude me to join some events which are intended for their missionary work. Everytime u get into the hostel, you have to show them a paper voucher which was bit annoying. Great location. Breakfast is really awful considering some staffs are busy with cooking and serving guests. Not many seats either.

quiet, calm, great location. The cons are it is very bare bones compared to other hostels I have stayed at..no free coffee...no complimentary snacks...and whoever cleaned the bathroom missed a big chunk of hair in the drain. The staff was friendly..and I felt safe. It was an average hostel.

• 11th Feb 2015

It is a very relaxed atmosphere. Definitely and obviously strong in their Christian faith, but nobody is going to pressure you to get involved in anything religious. It's sociable in that everyone is very friendly, but it's mostly the staff that are super outgoing and friendly and not so much the guests.

Good option if you're on a budget. Nice staff, free breakfast, great location. However, the space is very small (specially in the rooms) and you don't have enough power points

The chilled atmosphere of the hostel was good and somewhat unexpected given its location in the heart of the red light district. If you are going for the intense party scene of Amsterdam maybe this hostel isn't for you, but given the nature of Amsterdam you would rather be out in the city itself than in the hostel. Rooms were clean and the breakfast was good. The only thing I would suggest is having a toaster available for toasting the bread at breakfast.

Christian books and Christian messages on the walls freaked us out a little. Overall experience was good.

Okay to rest your head for the night. Very cold throughout the building. Not very clean, but could have just been the result of the people staying there at the time. Staff were very lovely.

In the rooms there should be some tables and chairs. It's very uneasy to wonder all the time where to put your belongings.

Very pleasant stay, staff was extremely helpful. Great breakfast served in a very nice internal cafe. Many activities, board games available to play. Recommended!

• 7th Feb 2015
  • Poland

You can't drink in the hostel. The staff are very friendly! Congratulations!

The only real problem with our stay was that we were not informed that a cat was present and able to roam freely around the hostel. My friend suffers severe allergic reactions to cats, even just by being in the same room, and we seriously think that things like this should be made known to guests. Indeed, it is worth questioning whether a hostel that categorically does not allow pets, should be allowed to have a cat at all.

Sorry that your friend didn't like our cat, you must have missed this part of our description "Please note that we have a hostel cat (called Oliver) who would love to meet you. But if you're allergic to cats you might be happier at our other hostel, Shelter Jordan." Let us know if you want to make a new booking at Shelter Jordan and we'll be sure to give you a discount :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7