Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Everything was great with the hostel. The staff was super friendly. There was no card key system but you had to show a piece of paper to enter. I understand why since they don't want to let anyone in. The breakfast was good. I stayed in the 4 bedroom female dorm and there were enough electrical outlets in the room and there was a sink. The bathroom facilities were clean. The location was great, everything was accessible walking.

It was a really afordable option it is clean, well located and the staff is really friendly. The only but that I have is that they dont give keys so everytime you get to the door you have to show a voucher that they gave you, which is pretty annoying.

We loved our stay at the shelter. The atmosphere was so warm and welcoming. Thanks for everything!!

• 17th May 2015
  • Switzerland

Overall I enjoyed my stay, very nice place, showers, and very fast WiFi, but the lack of power outlets in the rooms is very bad, it's good that there is a system to charger your stuff at the reception desk, but that is not a good solution in my opinion. I think the hostel should consider investing in power outlets by the beds in each room.

Very good position, very good staff gentle and professional, good breakfast, good cleanliness

First time in a Hostel. Really nice Stuff and very friendly.

• 13th May 2015
  • Austria

Serious about being a "christian" hostel, but once you get over that it was great. Clean, well-organized, charming, with free hot breakfast and a great common area.

This was by far the worst hostel I've stayed at in Europe. Some of my issues with it were: 1) There was barely any room to walk around in the rooms. They fit as many beds as they could into an extremely small space. 2) For "our security" there aren't any outlets in the rooms so we should charge our devices with reception. That's such bs. They should say we're cheap and don't want to add outlets to all the rooms. 3) Had to pay for a padlock for locker outside my room. Every place til now had a

PROS: Location is incredible. In the dead center of the red light district. Very easy to find. 10 minute walk from train station. Their security is very strict. Beds pretty comfortable. CONS: Not a party hostel whatsoever. No alcohol or drugs. Not a problem just go to a bar 2 feet away. Isn't the most high tech place but it works. Lockers are outside of the room HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOSTEL!!

This was one of my favorite hostels that I have stayed in even though I've never stayed in such a big room with so many people. I loved the Shelter philosophy and how friendly and welcoming everybody was, but how nothing was forced on anyone either. The hostel was a great location as well, and I loved how it was set up and the hot breakfast was a really good value as well. Thanks for a great stay in Amsterdam!

I'm surprise, because it's the hostel more clean, that i know!! All the Staff are so nett and with service was wonderfull!! I like it!!

• 10th May 2015

surprisingly I was asked to leave the hostel on the same day after I had checked out, not even allow me to stay in some public area, staff was nice when you were still a guest; very disappointed especially it's a christian hostel

• 10th May 2015
  • Hong Kong

Prime location, easy going staff, the facilities are great

I loved our stay at Shelter City!! Staff was absolutely fantastic - super welcoming and knowledgeable about the city. Rooms were great (only complaint is that you have to take the stairs which are pretty narrow getting to the attic) and clean, breakfast was also fantastic. Well located, close to many food places, but could be loud at night because of its proximity to the red light district. Overall fantastic place and I would recommend it to anyone!

Have to go to the reception to charge the battery.

Great location and easy to find. Staff helpful and friendly. Working wifi, lockers, breakfast included, ok bunk beds.. Could come back and stay there if I visit Amsterdam again.

Our room don't have enough plugs. Overall is good. Staffs are friendly

The staff are nice to help you. The facilities are a little bit old. The breakfast is very normal. If you have enough budget, I suggest to have nice brunch or try any other Dutch dished outside.

• 3rd May 2015
  • Taiwan

Just perfect

• 1st May 2015

Hostel is very good. They have nice atmosphere and provides very good breakfast as well.

• 1st May 2015