Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

I really enjoyed to stay at Shelter! You have an amazing stuff! And I love the cafe! If possible, please tell the people who stay there, to be more silent between 00:00-8:00. It was loud about midnight, (people talking loudly, passing the corridor loudly), so it was hard to fall asleep. It was great to stay with you! Thank you!

• 2nd Sep 2015
  • Poland

I've only stayed at two other hostels, but this one has been the best so far. There were multiple showers (with shelves) and toilets, a cafe and hot breakfast available, and very friendly staff. If you are a strict atheist, you may not feel comfortable here with the giant "God loves you" sign. Also, some of the beds were really close together, which doesn't fair well for anyone who isn't petite. Other than that, hardly any plugs in the rooms but you can give your charger to the front desk.

• 30th Aug 2015

Very friendly staff, 24h reception, internet & wifi access and a nice breakfast included. Super good value for money. Good location in Amsterdam, you walk easily from the central station. The only downside I see is that the street is a bit noisy outside will all the people moving around, so earplugs is a good thing.

• 30th Aug 2015
  • Sweden

We are so glad about our staying in the Shelter City! Next time we'll stay there definitely. Lots of thanks and God's blessing for the staff.

• 29th Aug 2015
  • Russia

This was the first hostel I stayed at on my backpacking trip through Europe. I hope all the rest are like Shelter City. I felt at home. Everyone was very kind and accommodating. They speak English. The Red Light District is literary right around the corner to your left and on the right you are in the center of cafes, coffee shops, shopping alleys. Nothing is too far from this hostel. I would definitely stay here again. Thank you Shelter City for your wonderful hospitality!

• 28th Aug 2015

Everything was great, and I rarely say that! Bathrooms were probably the cleanest I've seen thus far. Breakfast with different meal options is great. Loved the atmosphere. I wish people would respect the no drugs and no alcohol policy. Book another hostel if you can't survive without 'warming up' at the hostel. But that's not the hostel's fault so it is in no way a minus. Will definitely recommend to friends traveling to Amsterdam.

• 27th Aug 2015
  • Croatia

The hostel has a great location around 10 minutes walk from the main train station and Dam square. It was very clean and breakfast was fantastic! If you are looking for a quiet hostel in Amsterdam then this is the place to stay!

Key strengths: clean and secure. Key weakness: no kitchen. I would definitely stay here again !!

Nice place. very safe despite being right the Red Light District. Rooms are very basic clean. Lacked charging outlets but you could leave your phone with the front desk and they would charge it for you. The free breakfast and the outdoor courtyard were a bonus.

The hostel staff is very friendly and they take good care of the hostel. Locationwise, it could not be better :) but I guess if you are intimidated by prostitutes you might not want to look left or right :D. Just kidding :)

This is a great hostel with a very charming and friendly staff! The amount of facilities provided for the price is pretty amazing! Would recommend trying it out anyday!

• 24th Aug 2015
  • India

The staff at this hostel were lovely and really welcoming however the food was expensive considering there wasn't a kitchen and having no plugs in our room was a bit of a nightmare when it came to alarms! But overall a great stay and vibe!

Security is a priority here as they check your pass each time you enter. Lockers are not in the room but are provided in the immediate hallways. My room had many power sockets contrary to some others reviewed here. Plenty of showers, which are cleaned often. Nice terrace area with a ping pong table. About 30 staffs/volunteers working there - some are friendly, and some are not. Streets were noisy at night and can be heard from the room. Excellent free hostel dinner event during my stay.

This hostel is my favorite.

THIS PLACE IS GREAT. The cafe & outdoor common area are lovely. The breakfast options (emphasis on options!) were all great as well. Location is perfect~ (shockingly) close to the red light district, but right at the heart of the city. Admittedly I had some trouble meeting people upon first arriving, but I did get to speak to several of the staff members which was quite enjoyable. They were all incredibly sweet & friendly which made my stay here so lovely. :) I'd gladly stay again!

lovely people, sisters and brothers in jesus nice garden, good food

• 19th Aug 2015

I loved my stay, it was short-- but the atmosphere was so friendly and welcoming.

Shelter City was amazing, the staff were so friendly and the whole place has a great atmosphere-- the garden and café you could spend the whole day just relaxing and its beautiful and quiet despite being right in the heart of the city. the value is so great too-- the breakfast is the best of any hostel I've stayed at and its included!

I stayed there for three nights with my sisters. The staff are pretty friendly and helpful. However, it 's not that peace and quiet during the later night as we expected. Every night there were quite a few people talking and smoking that we could hear the noise and smell fumes coming from the courtyard. It's such a drawback.

Really dated and tired facilities. It looks much better online. Best thing is the location. 15 euro deposit seems excessive. Best thing is the location.

• 16th Aug 2015