Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

It was our first hostel to start our europe trip; a great first impression of staying in a hostel. Breakfast in the morning was great as you had a few choices, even checking out early they'll have food for you. Very secure building to stay at. Would definitely recommend it and would come back on my next trip.

• 25th Mar 2015

The setting was very much like a summer camp - large dorms with communal showers/toilets (great for busy mornings. No waiting!). I arrived at 5:30am and was more than pleased to have a bed made and waiting for me to rest without having to wait until 2pm to check in! There are lots of Christian reminders, but never was I forced to partake. Breakfast was good and made-to-order - a great added bonus. Overall great location and a real comfortable stay in the heart of Amsterdam!

The staff was very kind. The atmosphere is calm . Thanks Shelter Staff

Really enjoyed this hostel, but just a note to Hostelworld bookers, THIS IS A CHRISTIAN HOSTEL. They have pretty strict rules upon checkin I didn't notice on the site (and they take the "Christian" out of their name in the Hostelworld booking). It's a great hostel and I had no issues with the rules, but wanted to make sure everyone was aware

nice atmosphere, good and cheap restaurant. No alcohol sales. very helpful staff. lots of references towards religion, part of the deal.

Nice hostel and just inside the red light district! The atmosphere is good at the common room! But the electric sockets are not enough for full house in the Dom!

I absolutely LOVED staying at Shelter City! Definitely one of the best hostels I have ever stayed at. The staff were so nice and welcoming and I really felt like they wanted to get to know me. They really shined Christ through their actions. Wonderful positive atmosphere, loved the community feel to it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a nice hostel in Amsterdam.

• 20th Mar 2015

Really nice hostel !! congratulations :) continue doing what you do, with a good facilities and a great staff, specially David Vazquez, a very nice guy that loves his job! Thanks for everything. Kind regards, Silvana Gonçalves (Portugal)

• Portugal

Excellent ! Close to Central station, walking 13 min and with Metro even faster. Near the red light district. 10 min to Maoz falafel vegetarian fast food place, close to market, shops. Quiet. Good breakfast.

• Belgium

i had a really good stay and i enjoyed my time in amsterdam. A lot hat to do with the welcoming atmosphere in the hostel aswell as the excellent service from all the volunteers. i really liked the café place. i got to hang out there and got asked directly were i am from. simply a welcoming atmosphere. i will come back for sure. one of the best hostels i got to know so far.

• 17th Mar 2015

very goooood!

• 16th Mar 2015
  • Japan

I recognize this hostel is not only a place to stay, but a real shelter. May God bless all the staff, specially those who dedicate a time to feed the guests with the Word of God on the daily discussions.

Having lived in many hostels over the years I have to say this one is the best. The staff were so friendly and considerate it made my trip to Amsterdam even more delightful. They encouraged all members of staff to consider the diversity of guests and didn't cater for only the one. Because of this it was a very relaxing and respectful place.

• 14th Mar 2015
  • British Indian Ocean Territory

Very nice staff, breakfast, location. Need to clean more the commom area, like bathroom. Too many bad in 01 room.

• 13th Mar 2015

Super loud if your room faces the street. Day and night super loud.

Everything was great about this hostel, I really enjoyed it, specially the presence of a cute cat. The staff was very helpful. Special thanks to David from the front desk for his friendliness. 100% recommended place.

Very nice hostel right in the heart of the famous Amsterdam Red Light District. I went for an early morning walk (5am, thanks jet lag) and was approached by a couple of homeless men for money but told them I was just out with my camera for a walk. They smiled, warned me not to take photos in the windows and greeted me a good day. We enjoyed our stay, facility's were old and basic but well maintained and breakfast was excellent for being included in the cheap price.

• 12th Mar 2015

The heater is not functioning well and will feel cold at night

• 11th Mar 2015
  • Malaysia

The staff is amazing, very kind and friendly. Not so much at the reception, but they are very good during the evenings, doing games and Bible study. The room is very clean, the locker is good. The breakfast is perfect. I just think they should add a way to charge your stuffs inside the room. But if I go back to Amsterdam, I am sure I will go there again! The idea of a christian hostel in a crazy city as Amsterdam is amazing! I loved it!

Very good stay. I thought the middle of the Red Light District was an odd location for a drug-free alcohol-free Christian hostel, but it's perfect for a tourist trying to see the sights, which are all within walking distance

• 8th Mar 2015