Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

I was remarkably disappointed in Shelter City - when I arrived, I was told which room I was assigned to (and not given a key, since the room didn't have a lock). Within ten minutes, I was concerned by a gentleman (about forty five years old) who was talking to himself and pacing. I brought up my concern with reception, and their only solution was to have me move rooms and pay the difference in price. I was shocked that I was charged to feel safe in "Shelter City". Poor staff and service.

The location is close center and transportation top tourist places. The beds were comparable, staff was friendly, facilities are good for money. i have only one complaint about power plugs in the room. We are staying in 16 beds room, but we have only 3 power plugs for 16. Of course, they provide to charge mobiles/laptops at reception.

The location for this hostel was conveniently located. Maximum of 30 minute walk to tourist spots. The beds were super comfortable and although there weren't outlets by the beds, there were plenty in the cafe. Great free breakfast. Stay includes a hot meal and hot drink (not self-serve, all you can eat like other hostels). Bathrooms weren't super clean, but not nasty either which is impressive considering how busy they are. Overall I would recommend this hostel!

Great place to stay for a few days - nice price for a good structure! The bedroom has not so many power points so sometimes it's hard to recharge your phone/computer/camera. Nice staff - very helpful and also the hostel is in a good location, specially for those looking to stay in/close to the red light district.

Great location week point the staff and low amount of power plugs in the rooms

I just have one complaint. We arrived at hostel and I had a problem with our reservation. I needed to on a shared bedroom for one night and my family in other and change next day. Go up with bags and go with bags not because not our if you had a in you system. All the rest was ok

The top beds are a bit difficult to get to. Other than that, thank you for your hospitality.

• 14th Apr 2015

Great, helpful and friendly staff. Best staff so far :3 Walk a little bit far from bedroom to bathroom past some of the computer users but it doesn't matter Just one electricity socket available in room for 6 people (the staff says that its aimed is not disturb other people) but still a little bit inconvenient :)

Really enjoyed my stay at Shelter City - the staff were very friendly and welcoming and the location is fantastic! The facilities were also great and there was an option to get a packed breakfast if you have to leave before 8am, which was really helpful :) Thank you!

• 13th Apr 2015

Shelter: Your name is true!

• 13th Apr 2015

The free breakfast was great! Everything was pretty clean. Showers were not working on the attic floor but you could take a hike down to the bottom most floor showers. There was no WiFi service up there as well, but these were my only two complaints and I'd certainly stay there again.

• 13th Apr 2015

bathroom not work. the guest do not noise after 10 pm.

After a long day of traveling, I arrived at Shelter City and was greeted by a wonderful staff who were very welcoming and encouraging. I felt extremely safe on the property and loved the tagging system for checking phones and other electronics to charge (I left my phone and a camera battery overnight). Breakfast in the morning was delicious, and the staff working in the cafe explained everything to me and were very patient. I loved Shelter City and would definitely stay again if in Amsterdam

• 9th Apr 2015

I love it all!

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Portugal

Overall is great! I enjoyed staying there. I am Muslim but the Christian hostel welcomed we well. The staffs are very helpful. The breakfast is good. Though it is near Amsterdam centraal, sometimes it's unpleasant to go back to hostel because it's near red light district. And the bathroom was a bit dirty in the morning.

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Indonesia

I spent juz night but really enjoyed, great people, atmosphere, location in the heart of Amsterdam

• Poland

The bunk beds were extremely low! I used the bottom bunk, and couldn't even sit up straight without my head hitting the rails. Also, it was odd that lockers were provided but no locks. A small fee for renting locks would be more helpful rather than only offering the option to buy locks.

• Malaysia

From the extremely dirty bathrooms, to the fact that rooms were open for anyone to walk in, I would not recommend this hostel to anyone. The staff was quite rude as well. They gave a group of us the wrong information about tours and they weren't very understanding other certain situations. One worker/volunteer stayed in our room, and one night mumbled about how loud and annoying the group I was with was being. All in all, not worth your time or money. Also, no plugs to charge phones.

• 7th Apr 2015

Can't say anything else than superb! I needed a place to stay in Amsterdam for just one night. As a girl of 23 alone I wanted a hostel that looked good and was not too expensive. Shelter city fulfilled these needs very well! Everything was clean, staff very kind and welcoming. Would definitely stay there again and recommend it!

• 7th Apr 2015

The staff was SO nice and helpful and I loved the atmosphere. I will say though that the lack of outlets was a huge minus in my book! The breakfast was also awesome!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7