Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Very nice staff, didn't like how anyone could walk into your room though. I liked that they had events to do at night such As a bonfire. And Oliver the cat was very cute :) safe atmosphere

• 28th Feb 2015

If you want a cheap hostel come here. Facilities look like an old school converted to hostel. Walls had no plugs and look old and dirty. Toilets looked like camping sites ones. I had nothing against religion, but this places goes one step ahead and bombards you with christian signs like "Jesus loves you". When I arrived one guy was complaining about a stolen iPhone. Lockers dont close very well, get a big padlock for them. There were old ppl in my room (80 ). Breakfast was the only good thing.

It was quite nice, good place(it is located in the middle of red light district, but not that dangerous) nice security (you should show your voucher when you come in), and sooo nice staffs.(all the staffs I met was very kind and friendly) Breakfast was also perfect. I could choose among musli, bread, or warm menu(pancakes, french toast, or bread with fried egg-it depends on the day of the week). Only poor thing was wifi.. It was terrible even in the lobby

The staff is amazing, the free breakfast in the morning is fulfilling and delicious, and it's a Jesus-centered friendly atmosphere within the red light district. I learned a lot about God and the amazing miracles he's done from people all over the world. There were a few creepy old people who were staying there… it's not a youth hostel… and they didn't have a community kitchen or a lot of space to hang out aside from the cafe (I might of just been spoiled by hostels in other cities)

Excellent localisation, helpfully and friendly staff ! Good services as well!

Great Location, friendly stuff, only negative: you cannot cook your own food. There is only a little fridge and a microwave.

I enjoyed the company I found at Shelter City, and the atmosphere. They had a good system of security, and I was very appreciative of them charging my cell phone securely in the desk drawer. The breakfast was average for a hostel, although I wished there had been a gluten-free option in there. The only small note I would like to make is that I wish I could have been allowed to stay in the hostel cafe after check-out at 10 AM, since my flight didn't leave until 8:30 PM.

• 23rd Feb 2015

excellent location, nice characteristic building. outstanding friendliness.

• 23rd Feb 2015

The staff was more than friendly and helpful, i'd come back there not because of hostel but because of great people who work there!

• Belarus

The staff was really nice most of the time although it is a little uncomfortable to refuse invitations to bible discussions or other activities. We actually did want to go to one but we were never in the hostel when they took place. The rooms were pretty clean but the bathrooms and showers weren't. The cafe is really nice and homey and the free breakfast is a definite plus. Although I was very disappointed that they were always out of pancakes.

• 22nd Feb 2015
  • Austria

Excellent Hostel! The breakfast is good, with special options everyday, the beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are clean. It's a very calm and cozy hostel and I definitely would come back!

It's a great value, especially considering they include breakfast (which was very good). It's a bit close to red light district, so be mindful when walking back if you wish to avoid those streets.

• 19th Feb 2015

I had stayed only for one night! Friendly staff, good breakfast (for free), excellent location but poor facilities. Accommodation in Amsterdam costs and this is just a cheap place to stay.

Nice staff, Good spaces and gréât breakfast!

The staff was very friendly and helpful.There were few toilets and bathrooms for the amount of people sharing. There are lockers but u have to bring or buy ur own lock,we didn't put our stuff in the lockers and we had no problem. The food and drinks in the cafeteria in the hostel are really well priced and tasty.

• 15th Feb 2015
  • Greece

I really have nothing but good things to say here. The location was awesome, smack in the middle of Amsterdam, right around the corner from the red light district. We comfortably walked everywhere we wanted to go, never even ended up getting a bus ticket while we were there. That staff was beyond friendly and we were greeted with big ole smiles the minute we arrived. The breakfast is great, you always have three options to choose from, it isn't huge, but it was always tasty. No curfew either!

Christian hostel. Staffs tried to persaude me to join some events which are intended for their missionary work. Everytime u get into the hostel, you have to show them a paper voucher which was bit annoying. Great location. Breakfast is really awful considering some staffs are busy with cooking and serving guests. Not many seats either.

quiet, calm, great location. The cons are it is very bare bones compared to other hostels I have stayed at..no free coffee...no complimentary snacks...and whoever cleaned the bathroom missed a big chunk of hair in the drain. The staff was friendly..and I felt safe. It was an average hostel.

• 11th Feb 2015

It is a very relaxed atmosphere. Definitely and obviously strong in their Christian faith, but nobody is going to pressure you to get involved in anything religious. It's sociable in that everyone is very friendly, but it's mostly the staff that are super outgoing and friendly and not so much the guests.

Good option if you're on a budget. Nice staff, free breakfast, great location. However, the space is very small (specially in the rooms) and you don't have enough power points

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7