Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

My room smelt like feet and bad cheese, the windows wouldn't close when I asked the staff about getting them closed nothing happened. Being winter it wasn't the most desirable thing. There was one wall plug in the room but the hostel offered to charge your phone up at their desk. Food in the cafe was poor and the atmosphere was pretty dead. Also located in the transvestite street in the red light district and next to a rub and tug massage joint for those struggling with their beliefs

IGoooooooooooooood, I really enjoyed my stay

• 13th Dec 2014
  • India

Excellent location. The dorms and bathrooms are big and spacious (but that did mean it was a bit cold). Staff were friendly and helpful. Only one power point for the whole room, which was really annoying.

I really enjoy my days in amsterdam! Shelter city, its a Nice place to stay! Very clean, with young team who Works there And make you feel like you are welcome there all the time! Thank you very much Shelter City!

• 9th Dec 2014

That was my first time in Amsterdam, and accompanied by my 12 years old son. The hostel location, at the middle of the Red Light District, frightened me at the begining. But as the hours passed, I've noticed that there was no problem. The city is very secure to walk around. Staff was generally good. I think the breakfast can be better. Eggs would be fine, for example.

• 7th Dec 2014

I loved Shelter. Everybody is so nice and the breakfest is delicious!

• 6th Dec 2014

Had a wonderful stay at Shelter City! The staff was friendly and the atmosphere was cozy. Met a lot of lovely people who were volunteering and travelling. I would love to stay here again!

Good Hostel. Only complaint is wifi goes on and off, computers located in odd area. Also on my second and 3rd night newcomers were loud outside and inside the room, up until 1 am. I was surprised the staff didn't intervene.

Having considered the location and the obvious concerns therein, the producing of the voucher at the time of entry and repeted entry is a big problem. There are times that no ones manning the post (for whatever reason) the inmates of the hostel have to wait till someone shows up. IEverything else is cool. Love the young work force in Shelter, especially at the coffee shops. Very cool!

• 2nd Dec 2014
  • India

I really enjoyed staying at this hostel. It`s located in the centre of Amsterdam (even if it`s near Red Light District is really safe), the staff is very friendly and the breakfast was really good.

• 2nd Dec 2014
  • Romania

I really enjoyed my stay at Shelter City hostel, the only thing i regret is that there is no plug in the room..

Very clean and peaceful hostel.. Staff was helpful and friendly.. nice little cafe inside the hostel that serves free breakfast that is quite good. Also you don't have to worry about drunks or dope heads as the hostel is managed by spiritual people who cultivate a good atmosphere with respect to healthy minds and bodies.

• 1st Dec 2014

No sockets in rooms, have to pass phones/devices to staff to help charge. A little inconvenient but at least that removes any anxieties about theft etc..

The staff is very courteous. I loved the breakfast and the cleanliness of the hostel. It is just 10min. walk from the Amsterdam Central and city center. Very convenient. I loved my stay at the hostel.

• 29th Nov 2014

everything is good

• 28th Nov 2014
  • LXK
  • China

Internet is extremely poor and practically nonexistent. Also, we were in the third floor, attic area and extremely difficult to bring up luggage with no lift.

• 28th Nov 2014

friendly staff that you can feel they are willing to help sincerely.

It was my second time here because I trust this place completely. The only drawback is the lack of plug sockets, but I can understand some of the safety reasons for using a ticket system to charge accessories and phones at the front desk. Overall love the shelter city, will be back again!

There is christian hostel but located in Red Light District. What a irony :)

• 27th Nov 2014
  • Turkey

believe the hostel's instruction and do NOT take the train + metro if you have luggage. The transfer was horrible with the ups and downs stairs and long walking.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7