Shophouse The Social Hostel Reviews

48 Arab Street, Singapore, Singapore

Quick access to transportation, great food and many places to relax at night in the area. Staff are very friendly and accommodating. Secure, clean, and cool. Discounts available for many common Singapore attractions. Would recommend.

Rooftop lounge area was very cool.

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Scotland

Very bad in cleanliness especially in room. There are a lot of bedbugs, whole body is bitten, the bedsheets doesn't seem like being changed, and dust everywhere too!

• 9th Aug 2014
  • Malaysia

i'd still would prefer to have the bottom bunk bed for booking next time

Nice terrace: good place to socialize. Good area. Nice staff and caffetteria.

Hope you managed to make new friends up at the social terrace! It was a pleasure hosting you and we hope to see you again in the future! :) Cheers!

experienced bed bugs. due to full booking, not able to arrange another bed for me. One of the staff took it as usual thing, so didn't feel sorry at all.

• 24th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

Hey there, We are sorry that we were not able to shift you to another bed as we were full. We couldn't get the experts in on such short notice so our staff did what was within their capability which was to change the sheets, steam and spray the mattress & frames right after your complain. We take actions to the best of our ability as we want to ensure that all guests have a pleasant stay with us at the end of the day. We apologise once again and hope we can make it up on your next visit :)

I hate to say this after some of the reviews I read about this hostel before arriving, but it is one of the worst I have stayed in. Staff we're not overly excitable or helpful, the dorms and showers are filthy and I would hardly call the breakfast provided breakfast. Maybe it was just a bad night for me but I did not enjoy my experience at Shophouse and will not be returning. Sorry.

• 24th Jul 2014

We apologise that your stay hasn't been a pleasant one :( We take feedbacks very seriously and we are looking into the areas that you have mentioned. If you are ever in Singapore, do drop us an email so that we can make it up to you :) Cheers!

The staff is amazing, the beds are comfortable, and it's close to the MRT. I say here every time I'm in Singapore.

Thanks for the short yet sweet review! We hope to see you back here soon! Cheers :)

What Worked. The rooftop atmosphere is no-doubt the highlight of the hostel. The host was up till wee hours of the morning which allowed us to checkin even at a later time (our flight got super delayed) Improvements The restroom at the top floor (6-in-a-room) can be made clean by repainting. The metal/pipes are observably rusting and showing wear and tear. Our room mate brought in his girlfriend and bunked in 1-bed (half-naked). Better lighting options (white light VS yellow light)

• 16th Jul 2014
  • Philippines

Hostel was one of the best in Singapore. Breakfast, tea, coffee, bread were always available. Other facilities were also good, like, they have a very nice sitting area at the terrace with some couches and a big TV and DVDs available..they also have a library there...travelers sit and relax there, and make new friends. There is also a computer room there with Aircon always available with good internet speed. Few bad things are: some bugs on bed which bite you, u need to pay rent for adapter.

We noticed that you haven't been pleased with our staff. We will really appreciate it if you could drop us an email and let us know more about that. For the bed bugs, rest assured that specialists were called in at the first complaint and we have treated the rooms. As for the adaptors, apologies for the inconvenience as guests tend to take it home with them and we are preventing that from happening, thus the S$1 charge for it. But nonetheless hope you had had a good time with us!

THIS HOSTEL IS AMAZING. I WOULD ADVISE IT TO ANYONE WHO wants to have a clean and comfortable stay with amazing hospitality.

Wow! We are really glad that you had an amazing time with us! It was such a pleasure hosting you and we hope to see you again soon! :) Cheers!

Bed bugs !

Really good hostel! Good location, close to buses and one of the main metro stations (Bugis). Staff very friendly and polite :)

I've been travelling SE Asia for three months, and this is the best hostel I have stayed at my entire trip. It is well-priced (by Singapore standards), clean, and spacious. The rooms were great, with good-sized beds, a comfy blanket and pillow, and individual lights, electrical outlets, and lockers. The hostel itself has a great vibe, compared to a lot of hostels that just feel like a collection of bunk beds in a room. Located above a hip coffee shop, nice rooftop lounge, and breakfast till 10p!

Shophouse is in a really cool and laid back part of the city. It was a more expensive choice, and we are not convinced it was worth it. We were in a 6 bed dorm, in a broken bunk bed. The screws were coming loose, and every movement would shake the whole bed. We feared it might collapse. The aircon wasn't very efficient as the room was very hot, and the fan was extremely loud. We got about 4 hours sleep, I tried to get some help, but couldn't find anyone. The staff must all leave at night time.

Proper hostel vibe - a little bit dingy but good to meet people - great roof terrace and tv area. Breakfast was yum!

The hostel is sociable and it is in a good location and not too far from the metro and bus station. The rooftop garden is a good place to hang out and there is a good view. However, the bathrooms are in desperate need of refurbishment, and closer attention to cleanliness is needed. The hottest shower temperature is only luke warm and generally the bathrooms are too small. We found bedbugs in the 16 bed dorm and the staff response was totally ineffective and we had to book a hotel at 10pm!

Hi Jordan, I apologise on behalf of my team for not being effective enough in settling the bedbug issue with you. Rest assured that the pest control is immediately brought in at the first complain of bedbug in any of our dorms. We have since done a couple of treatments in the said room since. And we are looking into refurbishing our toilet. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We apologise once again and hope we can make it up to you if you ever visit :( Cheers!

I stayed at this hostel twice. The first time was good, room was clean, and beds were clean and comfy. Bathrooms are not that clean... Low water pressure and the water was luke warm even with the water heater on. Sometimes there wasn't even any water. Staff were ok, not overly friendly or welcoming. Second stay. BED BUG. I stayed in the mixed dorm (needs better ventilation) and after I checked out, found a BED BUG on me! 86 bites!!

Hi Linda, We apologise that your second visit was a disappointment :( We have stepped up the cleaning to ensure clean bathrooms at all times. Regarding the water, sometimes guests accidentally shuts off the main water switch instead of the heater knob. We have taken measures to ensure it doesn't happen again. Also, we react immediately once we receive the first complain of bedbugs by calling in our pest control. Hope we are able to make it up to you on your next visit.

Best hostel that I ever stay, highly recommend!

Hi Harris, Thank you for your review! We hope to host you again in future :) Cheers!

Great location near the shops, bars and restaurants of Bugis (even the cafe below is great) and close to Bugis station. Very nice and helpful staff. Dorms are ok - each bed has a light and plug socket but can get crowded with little floor space and lockers are quite small. Showers are pretty rubbish and need cleaning more often - in fact everything needs more cleaning - or at least leave a mop in each so people can clean up after themselves. Wifi is good. Overall is a decent place to stay.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4