Shophouse The Social Hostel

Very Good 584 Total Reviews

• Australia, Female, 25-30
14th Jun 2017
6.0

Part of the area was all super funky with street art and great places to eat, but being a solo female traveller non-Muslim I felt I was being stared at like a piece of meat. Most of the doors locks were broken and the room door had to stay open, though Singapore is quite a safe place. Hostel was all very average. Next time I think I would prefer to stay in Chinatown. Also there was absolutely no atmosphere, so the "social" hostel thing is definitely off.But it seems they are all like that here

10th Jun 2017
6.6

Bathrooms were a bit dirty - an ant here or there. I also wasn't a fan of showers and toilets being located in the same stalls - the toilet gets wet. The lounge was OK, on the roof with no AC. One night the staff gave someone the wrong keys, so someone walked in on me sleeping early in the morning (like 3am or something). There was also some confusion over the key deposit - I got back 10$ but the site mentions 20$. This is partly my fault since I forgot how much I put down as the deposit.

• anilpak359065
  • Turkey, Male, 25-30
7th Jun 2017
8.0

No fridge for customer

• lizkeip
  • Canada, Female, 18-24
3rd Jun 2017

cool atmosphere, nice place to lounge and chill out. If you want a good nights sleep, don't stay here. Beds were comfy and private with curtains. Showers were hot, staff was nice, clean place overall. I'd come back again!

• Bulgaria, Female, 31-40
31st May 2017
6.9

Great location, the staff are quite friendly and accommodating. Met some nice people, but that's pretty much it. The beds are really squeekie, the bathrooms are disgusting, and I never saw anyone cleaning the rooms (I stayed there for a week). The breakfast is really basic - toast (when there was any, because most days it'd runout) and jam, and some stale cereal. If the owners decide to invest in the place a bit, it can be an amazing hostel.

• vincentcroos
  • Canada, Male, 31-40
27th May 2017
4.3

This place isn't social. The hostel has several long-term residents who keep to themselves and have their belongings all over the dorm. My dorm room smelled really bad, mostly because of the long-term residents smelly laundry. Lots of people that were not guests were going in and out. I didn't feel safe for my valuables even with a locker. The location is good on Arab street and a hipster neighbourhood. Wi-Fi worked well. I would not return.

• USA, Mixed Group, 18-24
27th May 2017
4.3

The hostel was nice my low rating is because of one incident, when my friend and I locked our key in our room. They have three emergency numbers, but no one picked up, one was disconnected. This mishap was our fault, but there are lots of urgent situations that wouldn't have been and there is no way to get in contact with staff. In the morning there was no one at reception when the hostel was open, door was unlocked and spare room keys were out for anyone to take, which is a security concern.

• Finland, Female, 31-40
26th May 2017

Small hostel at great location, near Bugis MRT-station w number off eateries, bars and shopping opportunities around. Staff is nice and friendly. Kitchenette is small and doesn't really allow cooking more than simple snacks but simple breakfast (coffee/tea, toast&jams, cereals) is free. Located levels 2&3, street level door is always locked. Lockers and aircon in rooms. I had a great vibe w other travellers during my stay :)

• DesignMyLife
  • Sri Lanka, Male, 41+
26th May 2017
8.0

Need to repair main door Security lock. Great stay. Highly recommended for Muslim Treveller as the Sulthan Mosque is just 5 Minutes walk.

• England, Male, 18-24
23rd May 2017

Great hostel, definitely lived up to its social name! As long as you are a social person you will like it here!