Shophouse The Social Hostel Reviews

48 Arab Street, Singapore, Singapore

The staff is amazing, the beds are comfortable, and it's close to the MRT. I say here every time I'm in Singapore.

Hostel was one of the best in Singapore. Breakfast, tea, coffee, bread were always available. Other facilities were also good, like, they have a very nice sitting area at the terrace with some couches and a big TV and DVDs available..they also have a library there...travelers sit and relax there, and make new friends. There is also a computer room there with Aircon always available with good internet speed. Few bad things are: some bugs on bed which bite you, u need to pay rent for adapter.

THIS HOSTEL IS AMAZING. I WOULD ADVISE IT TO ANYONE WHO wants to have a clean and comfortable stay with amazing hospitality.

Bed bugs !

I've been travelling SE Asia for three months, and this is the best hostel I have stayed at my entire trip. It is well-priced (by Singapore standards), clean, and spacious. The rooms were great, with good-sized beds, a comfy blanket and pillow, and individual lights, electrical outlets, and lockers. The hostel itself has a great vibe, compared to a lot of hostels that just feel like a collection of bunk beds in a room. Located above a hip coffee shop, nice rooftop lounge, and breakfast till 10p!

Shophouse is in a really cool and laid back part of the city. It was a more expensive choice, and we are not convinced it was worth it. We were in a 6 bed dorm, in a broken bunk bed. The screws were coming loose, and every movement would shake the whole bed. We feared it might collapse. The aircon wasn't very efficient as the room was very hot, and the fan was extremely loud. We got about 4 hours sleep, I tried to get some help, but couldn't find anyone. The staff must all leave at night time.

Proper hostel vibe - a little bit dingy but good to meet people - great roof terrace and tv area. Breakfast was yum!

The hostel is sociable and it is in a good location and not too far from the metro and bus station. The rooftop garden is a good place to hang out and there is a good view. However, the bathrooms are in desperate need of refurbishment, and closer attention to cleanliness is needed. The hottest shower temperature is only luke warm and generally the bathrooms are too small. We found bedbugs in the 16 bed dorm and the staff response was totally ineffective and we had to book a hotel at 10pm!

Hi Jordan, I apologise on behalf of my team for not being effective enough in settling the bedbug issue with you. Rest assured that the pest control is immediately brought in at the first complain of bedbug in any of our dorms. We have since done a couple of treatments in the said room since. And we are looking into refurbishing our toilet. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We apologise once again and hope we can make it up to you if you ever visit :( Cheers!

I stayed at this hostel twice. The first time was good, room was clean, and beds were clean and comfy. Bathrooms are not that clean... Low water pressure and the water was luke warm even with the water heater on. Sometimes there wasn't even any water. Staff were ok, not overly friendly or welcoming. Second stay. BED BUG. I stayed in the mixed dorm (needs better ventilation) and after I checked out, found a BED BUG on me! 86 bites!!

Hi Linda, We apologise that your second visit was a disappointment :( We have stepped up the cleaning to ensure clean bathrooms at all times. Regarding the water, sometimes guests accidentally shuts off the main water switch instead of the heater knob. We have taken measures to ensure it doesn't happen again. Also, we react immediately once we receive the first complain of bedbugs by calling in our pest control. Hope we are able to make it up to you on your next visit.

Best hostel that I ever stay, highly recommend!

Hi Harris, Thank you for your review! We hope to host you again in future :) Cheers!

Great location near the shops, bars and restaurants of Bugis (even the cafe below is great) and close to Bugis station. Very nice and helpful staff. Dorms are ok - each bed has a light and plug socket but can get crowded with little floor space and lockers are quite small. Showers are pretty rubbish and need cleaning more often - in fact everything needs more cleaning - or at least leave a mop in each so people can clean up after themselves. Wifi is good. Overall is a decent place to stay.

A lovely hostel near bugis MRT station and plenty of restaurants nearby. Very cool and clean!

Shophouse hostel is very nice homestay if you are in Singapore. Very recommended

• 27th May 2014
  • Indonesia

Utterly disappointed. Stay at a 16 mix dorm, specifically room 41. Got bitten by bed bugs badly. Woke up and killed one bug, thought everything will be fine, slept for another hour, woke up again and saw the wall was crawling with bed bugs. Unbelievable. End up didnt sleep the whole night. Luckily only stayed a day. Seriously, if sleeping is not an option in an hostel, what is it good for?

We sincerely apologise for the bad experience you had with us. We have called in pest control since you left and have done a thorough cleaning of the walls of the room. We can't detect bedbugs activity until a guest informs us about it and we will definitely take action with the first complain. We apologise once again and hope we can get a second chance to make it up to you in the future. Cheers

Had a really nice stay at this hostel , just was there for one night , for my visa run . Really enjoyed the Belgian kriek ( cherry) beer , cos i'm from there. The only thing i would suggest this lovely hostel , is to clean the bathrooms more often . Maybe after the morning shift and a little turn over or check in the evening. Because it's quite a big hostel , and bathrooms become messy very fast.

• 14th May 2014
  • Switzerland

I stayed at this hostel for three nights and found the staff helpful and friendly, and it was a good environment to meet people. The dorms were nice and beds were comfy. The only downside was that the bathrooms were quite basic and could have done with being cleaned more often as by the end of my stay they seemed a little filthy. The rooftop space is great, and so is the all day breakfast!

I loved it here-all day, help yourself breakfast tea and coffee, cool roof terrace and the comfiest beds in town. Seriously underrated, this hostel has a cafe below it (10% off for hostel stayers) which serves delicious food, cakes and beers all day. The staff seem genuinely friendly and willing to help. The lockers could be more secure and curtains on the beds appreciated, but all in all an excellent hostel.

Can't say anything negative, good choice for a decent sleep in SIN

Really nice hostel tucked away in the Arab Quarter. People are friendly and there's a nice rooftop area to relax.

To Mr Hostel Owner who is very bad at hiding his appearance from the world. MUSterious yet not. In this hostel I had a bad time MICHAEL JACKSON BAD! Mr Wan was very kind and showed me all around Singapore because his shift had ended. He new everything about Singapore and was very passionate. Thank you. Very clean, comfy bed, very social. The breakfast is supposed to finish early but they leave it out all day which is great if you wake up late or just need a quick snack. BRILLIANT! mwah

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4