Shophouse The Social Hostel Reviews

48 Arab Street, Singapore, Singapore

I found the Shophouse to be a nice place where you can hangout and socialize with others that are staying there. The rooftop social/breakfast area was a great place to relax and get away from the heat. I thought the place was secured but the people staying there were too lazy at times and left doors open to avoid having to swipe their card. This only makes sense early in the morning when trying to be stealthy. The showers spCe was small with the toilet right beside them. Overall I'd come bac

• 4th Feb 2016

Good location and value for money with excellent bed setup. Staffs are also nice and able to handle issue with proper manner. The hostel is suitable for single traveler.

ALMOST EVERYTHING IS PERFECT. I DEFINITELY WILL STAY HERE AGAIN. the only blunders are 2 things: 1) the water pressure of the shower is too little, and 2) one morning, a male staff just came into no man's land to take out trash without permission while so many girls were undressed properly. i hope next time the staff taking care of no man's land are females too.

- Great staff; very helpful - left clear instructions on how to get my keys even though I came after the check in hours - Got put on the 4th floor; not a big deal but I'm glad I didn't bring a big bag!! - Facilities were a bit basic: combined toilet/shower so it was a little wet. Flip flops recommended - Big fan of Working Title Cafe downstairs - the 20% discount was awesome

The staff was impecable and so were all things related to rooms, beds and bathrooms. ITerrace was also very nice. Breakfast a bit poor though... And it is kinda weird that no staff is there by night, if there had been an emergency, we would have been on our own!

I stayed here for 2 nights. Had to switch beds 3 times and had a problem with bedbugs. The beds are old and or not really good contructed, i am a big guy and weigh around 110 but i never had a problem with a bed or bunkbed before. The first two beds i went trough the slatted or how its called. And you can see they had more problems with it because there was some cushen underneith the bed. Then the first night i had problems with bedbugs and now i am fully covered in bites. Personel is good!!

nice place with a good rooftop terrace to hangout. fun and comfortable vibes. Only problem i have is that there are no heater at the shower throughout the stay. Door lock is somehow faulty. As i slept close to the door, it is very irritating that every time someone who wants to come in, tries a few times with the swipe card and the lock just beeps but doesn't opens. Other than that, I like the special key lockers. I feel it's safe.

Staff were excellent, location is quite good given its proximity to the trendy café/bar scene in Little India. As a Western tourist traveling solo it was not the best hostel, as it seemed to be primarily larger groups traveling together from nearby countries in Asia. I still enjoyed my time there.

Really nice hostel and very friendly and helpful staff. I was out in different dorm to one I had booked when i arrived and had to switch rooms after 1 night but they were apologetic and even offered a free meal in the cafe downstairs! Nice rooftop area, breakfast included and good security with lockers and key cards for entry. Downstairs cafe is really nice and location is perfect, near Chinatown and some cute and quirky shops and restaurants.

Absolutely great staff. Allowed us for a early check in to get some sleep and coffee. Nice rooms and good location. Definitely recommended!

I thought the hostel was excellent. The guy who works at night time was lovely and so helpful and friendly, he even helped me carry my suitcase upstairs. The place had a nice atmosphere, and the signage had a nice tone to the place. The hostel was well organised and I felt like they have thought of everything. Breakfast was great, thoroughly impressed. I will definitely be back.

• 2nd Jan 2016
  • New Zealand

everything is acceptable but not the bed condition-which I believe is the basic expectation for us to stay in, the last night was suffer for me to keep on scratching my both hands, now I back to KL found out the bugs bite effect s even worst

• 31st Dec 2015
  • Malaysia

the location is quite good, there are a lot of place to hang out. and there is a vibrant cafe downstairs. and a cool rooftop to :)

• 19th Dec 2015
  • Indonesia

I chose this hostel because of it's strategic location. There's some advises I need to say it here. One, always keep clean bed sheets, blankets and pillow in a closet, not in an exposed rack on second floor. I got dust mites bites all over my arms and legs from the blanket provided. Second, an early Christmas party was thrown on a Friday night on rooftop, I stayed in one floor below. Music was extremely loud, people screaming, electricity on&off more than 30 times. That's not cool.

The bed was kind of bug infested. Couldn't see them but woke up with bug bitten marks all over me and there's more To come. This is really bad!! Should really look into the cleanliness and hygiene of the facilities. It grossed me out!! And I won't come back anymore!!

We were just slightly concerned about the security because it seems like residents/staff of the hostel are quite happy to open the doors for anyone.

• 28th Nov 2015
  • Singapore

Really cool hostel in a trendy part of town. It was close to everything, clean, staff were helpful and the rooftop hangout spot was awesome!

Nice place close to Little India, public transport, and a street full of bars and cafes. Rooftop is cool as well.

This is more of a bunch of rooms above a cafe. Not much hostel atmosphere. There is a roof top terrace, but there was never anyone up there. A bit disappointing when I was expecting a bohemian art house style hostel. But it was clean and well located

Didn't like this hostel. The WiFi didn't work for the entirety of my staystay and the bathrooms were very cramped and didn't seem very clean. Shower hot water was unreliable. There was zero atmosphere during the stay I had and the whole place just seemed rather tired and dirty. Staff were friendly and the location is good. Many better options out there for the same price.