Shophouse The Social Hostel Reviews

48 Arab Street, Singapore, Singapore

Good social area on the roof. Breakfast simple but good. Friendly, helpful staff. The room I was in had no windows so was a bit dark, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. Close to the MRT so easy to get around.

Thank you so much for the kind review! We hope you had as much fun in Shophouse as we did hosting you :) We used yellow bulbs instead of the normal white bulbs for the rooms so that the room won't be too bright and won't really bother other guests. Hope you had a good sleep anyway! Looking forward to seeing you again in Shophouse in the near future! Cheers!

Awesome rooftop to chillout, good airconditioning in rooms, very nice athmosphere, bathrooms could be cleaned a little bit more often, but all in all a great hostel! :-)

Thanks for the short yet sweet review! We hope you managed to make new friends at the social roof and had a wonderful time at Shophouse! Noted on the cleanliness, the housekeepers have been told to step up their cleaning :) We'll see you back in Shophouse next year! Cheers!

everything is great! I left before 8am when the reception is not opened yet so I had to leave the keys under the door, hope it's okay.

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Indonesia

filthy shower-toilet. woke up at 2 a.m. by the noise-music (I heard it from 9 p.m. and thought it would stop in an hour and then fell asleep...) from the street right over the non-soundproofing window- and couldn't sleep till 4 a.m. because the music continued by then. and woke up in the morning to find BEDBUGS not only on my bed but on another bed across mine which was not occupied then. freaked out and checked out right away.

There were bed bugs in the hostel - which is nowadays a widely spread problem so I wouldn't judge a hostel by that normally. However, the way the Shophouse dealt with the problem was inappropriate. They did some cleaning when they realised they had bed bugs, but let people continue sleep in the rooms. So we moved in in between the first and second cleaning and at first didnt know there were bed bugs. Once we found them on our clothes and backpacks as well the hostel cleaned all our stuff but....

We apologise that the bedbug issue affected your stay. The reason why we do not shift people to other rooms is to avoid the spread of the bugs from one room to another. Hence, when guests complains, we will take action by steaming and spraying the affected beds/rooms and wash all their clothes. We would rather contain the bugs in one room than to have it spread across the different rooms. Hope you understand where we are coming from :) Cheers!

We travel in a group of 6 female and stayed in the 12-beds-all-female dorm for 2 nights. Our stay was pleasant and worth it, considering the price. Will definitely recommend the place to others, and will consider staying there again when visiting Singapore. 😊

• 28th Aug 2014
  • Malaysia

Thank you for the short and sweet review. We look forward to hosting you and your friends again here at Shophouse! Cheers!

Quick access to transportation, great food and many places to relax at night in the area. Staff are very friendly and accommodating. Secure, clean, and cool. Discounts available for many common Singapore attractions. Would recommend.

Thank you for your kind review! Glad you had a pleasant stay with Shophouse and we hope you managed to make new friends at the hostel during your stay. We look forward to hosting you again if you ever visit Singapore again :) Cheers!

Rooftop lounge area was very cool.

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Scotland

Hope you were able to make new friends at the social terrace during your visit! Looking forward to hosting you again in the future :) Cheers!

Very bad in cleanliness especially in room. There are a lot of bedbugs, whole body is bitten, the bedsheets doesn't seem like being changed, and dust everywhere too!

• 9th Aug 2014
  • Malaysia

We apologise that your stay had been an unpleasant one. Rest assured that all pillowcases, duvets and bedsheets are changed daily and the rooms are swept and mopped daily too. Also, we have looked into the issue and the pest control were brought in to do fumigations to the affected rooms. Bedbugs are easily brought in by guests and it is hard to pinpoint the rooms unless the guests alert us immediately. Cheers!

i'd still would prefer to have the bottom bunk bed for booking next time

Nice terrace: good place to socialize. Good area. Nice staff and caffetteria.

Hope you managed to make new friends up at the social terrace! It was a pleasure hosting you and we hope to see you again in the future! :) Cheers!

experienced bed bugs. due to full booking, not able to arrange another bed for me. One of the staff took it as usual thing, so didn't feel sorry at all.

• 24th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

Hey there, We are sorry that we were not able to shift you to another bed as we were full. We couldn't get the experts in on such short notice so our staff did what was within their capability which was to change the sheets, steam and spray the mattress & frames right after your complain. We take actions to the best of our ability as we want to ensure that all guests have a pleasant stay with us at the end of the day. We apologise once again and hope we can make it up on your next visit :)

I hate to say this after some of the reviews I read about this hostel before arriving, but it is one of the worst I have stayed in. Staff we're not overly excitable or helpful, the dorms and showers are filthy and I would hardly call the breakfast provided breakfast. Maybe it was just a bad night for me but I did not enjoy my experience at Shophouse and will not be returning. Sorry.

We apologise that your stay hasn't been a pleasant one :( We take feedbacks very seriously and we are looking into the areas that you have mentioned. If you are ever in Singapore, do drop us an email so that we can make it up to you :) Cheers!

The staff is amazing, the beds are comfortable, and it's close to the MRT. I say here every time I'm in Singapore.

Thanks for the short yet sweet review! We hope to see you back here soon! Cheers :)

What Worked. The rooftop atmosphere is no-doubt the highlight of the hostel. The host was up till wee hours of the morning which allowed us to checkin even at a later time (our flight got super delayed) Improvements The restroom at the top floor (6-in-a-room) can be made clean by repainting. The metal/pipes are observably rusting and showing wear and tear. Our room mate brought in his girlfriend and bunked in 1-bed (half-naked). Better lighting options (white light VS yellow light)

• 16th Jul 2014
  • Philippines

Hostel was one of the best in Singapore. Breakfast, tea, coffee, bread were always available. Other facilities were also good, like, they have a very nice sitting area at the terrace with some couches and a big TV and DVDs available..they also have a library there...travelers sit and relax there, and make new friends. There is also a computer room there with Aircon always available with good internet speed. Few bad things are: some bugs on bed which bite you, u need to pay rent for adapter.

We noticed that you haven't been pleased with our staff. We will really appreciate it if you could drop us an email and let us know more about that. For the bed bugs, rest assured that specialists were called in at the first complaint and we have treated the rooms. As for the adaptors, apologies for the inconvenience as guests tend to take it home with them and we are preventing that from happening, thus the S$1 charge for it. But nonetheless hope you had had a good time with us!

THIS HOSTEL IS AMAZING. I WOULD ADVISE IT TO ANYONE WHO wants to have a clean and comfortable stay with amazing hospitality.

Wow! We are really glad that you had an amazing time with us! It was such a pleasure hosting you and we hope to see you again soon! :) Cheers!

Bed bugs !

I admit the atmosphere is nice. Specially the restaurant downstairs is really good. And the staffs are all very friendly as well. But unfortunately I'm not very pleased with the cleanliness. The shower room at the girls floor is always flooding, I stayed for 2 nights and the bathroom floor is flooded with water all the time. It's so gross. Please do a regular checks next time, I like the hostel but a flooded bathroom is a big no for me.

Really good hostel! Good location, close to buses and one of the main metro stations (Bugis). Staff very friendly and polite :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3